PDA

View Full Version : Cardio?????

Hammerfit
06-02-2011, 07:09 AM
One of our members requested a poll of how much cardio the "older" crowd has to do to stay in shape or get ready for a comp

Lots of it depends on the balance between carbs and intensity of training and if I cheated on diet

I do 30mins fasting step tread HIIT set on a very tough level and keep the speed high on Monday, Tues and usually Friday, (never the day before, day of or day after legs)occasionally I may hit one over the weekend but it would be a "back off" a bit type
I used to walk and cycle but I found this much more effective at burning calories without burning up my legs and it really helps my glutes and hips

What are others doing?

Contest Prep?

Off Season?

Year Round?

freebirdmac
06-02-2011, 07:31 AM
What's cardio??? Last time I did cardio was 2009. I need/should do some for cardiovascular reasons, but it's never needed to maintain or lose fat. I am definitely not an ecto, I'm just good at sticking to a diet and letting lifting work it's magic. Carbs are around 30% whether I'm bulking, maintaining, or leaning out. I don't freak out over any bloat which has nothing to do with fat loss. Since I keep my carbs high as possible I also suffer less bloat.

I agree that intervals on the stairmill rock! But not anywhere near a leg workout :p

BryanB
06-02-2011, 08:05 AM
I'm 43 and on the 5x a week plan right now. 30 minutes (once I reach my heart rate) morning fasted cardio. Usually on my mountain bike that sits on the bike trainer. No contest coming up. This is just getting my fat ass below 10%. At 11.??% now at 240

masterschamp
06-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Mike,
When I started with Defendis, no cardio at all...he absolutely did not believe in it, ESPECIALLY pre-contest. Over the years I slowly incorporated AM sessions as I prepped for contests as it allowed me to eat a little more through the dieting phase. The most I have ever done is 1 hour/day split between an AM and a PM session. I usually start to put some in at the 14 week mark starting at one 20 minute AM session 4-5 times a week, and go from there. Fortunately,I have never had to "kill" myself, cardio-wise, to get ripped. Also, no clen, T3, or diuretics.....just lucky that way.... my metabolism still races along at a good clip, even at 54. Thanks, mom and dad!

Keith

KevinCouch
06-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Offseason: no cardio.

Pre-contest: little or no cardio. Depending on if I'm ahead of schedule which I usually am or behind schedule. One of the benefits of staying lean offseason for me.

JoeB8962
06-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Offseason - 20 min 3 or 4 times a week

Prep - start at 20 min AM and work up to 50 min AM with another 40 min pwo and on days I didn't train I'd also add a 25 min hiit session to the 40 min.

Current - doing 30 min AM

HeavyDutyGuy
06-02-2011, 01:49 PM
For competitions
I did between 14 min (HIIT) and 2 hours (LSD).

Baldiewonkanobi
06-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Last year weighed a dehydrated 187 at Masters Nationals. Weighed 193 the following night (awards/routine night) on same scale after 2 huge plates of pasta and 6 near beers. I have stayed lean and have tried to build for this years show. Zero cardio in one year. I am much leaner than I was at 193 weighing 202 this morning. Got as heavy as 210 in Febuary. Guessing 4% or less bodyfat.

Baldie

mrky03
06-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Zero cardio when I was younger. I've done liss cardio with good results but it is muscle wasting IMO. HIIT cardio 16min. max is the best thing I've found and actually helps build muscle if you supplement carbs/pro before and after. I'm in the best cardio shape of my life right now. Did it daily first thing in the morning for contest prep. Off season 3 times a week.

Rick Prince
06-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Off-season: 30 minutes post-workout, 3 days a week, low intensity

16 weeks in to 1st show: start with 30 minutes of cardio every morning prior to meal 1, except quad day.

An evaluation is done weekly. If I hit a fat loss plateau, cardio is increased 10 minutes per day. If I'm behind in my prep, the amount of cardio could increase more rapidly. Last year (2010) cardio hit a max of 120 minutes at 1.5 weeks out from my first show (4.5 weeks from my 2nd show, the Alabama).

At 8 weeks out this year, cardio was increased from 80 to 90 minutes a day.

My first year (2009), I did not do cardio in the off-season and cardio climbed to 3 hours a day at 6 weeks out from my first show. It should also be noted, I was not on a keto diet and was taking in 100-120 carbs a day.

fishmeat
06-24-2011, 01:23 PM
I don't mind putting in the work..I'd rather eat more, hold my muscle & do a lil more Cardio. Hiit & liss Cardio work for me. Depending on how I feel..3-4x's a week I will do 1.5 hrs Cardio per day. But carbs are hi ..

Sunnyday
06-24-2011, 09:09 PM
Offseason: as little as possible, depends on how I look

Pre-contest: 4 days/wk, 20 min PWO, moderate intensity