PDA

View Full Version : Arthritis

GirlyMuscle
06-08-2011, 01:19 AM
Arthritis....anyone have it? How do you deal with it? Does anything help the stiffness and loss of movement? Arthritis strength Tylenol helps the pain but not the rest.

Ugh. I have it. First ever real flare up. It's mostly in my thumbs. One only has about 50% range of motion. The joints are stiff and achy all the time.

I know I should probably go to a doctor but no health insurance and it's not life or death so I just haven't made it a priority.

BigJD69
06-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Girly I have been using Voltaren Gel on all my problem areas(my whole body) and it gets me thru my workouts!
You need a prescription for it though!

Mac
06-08-2011, 07:50 AM
Sounds like something you might experience with low estrogen levels. My gf had similar symptoms and her E was tanked! This was after a hysterectomy however. Usually women are the other direction, too much E, but it something to consider.

You were medically diagnosed with arthritis?

Hammerfit
06-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Arthritis....anyone have it? How do you deal with it? Does anything help the stiffness and loss of movement? Arthritis strength Tylenol helps the pain but not the rest.

Ugh. I have it. First ever real flare up. It's mostly in my thumbs. One only has about 50% range of motion. The joints are stiff and achy all the time.

I know I should probably go to a doctor but no health insurance and it's not life or death so I just haven't made it a priority.

Been living with it for over 20 years. Glucosomine Chondotrin (sp) high dose 2x day, fish oils, coated ibuprofen as needed This takes couple months to start to see any relief

GirlyMuscle
06-08-2011, 09:16 AM
I was diagnosed back when I was 30 yrs old but it never really bothered me. I did nails for 15 yrs and at one point developed trigger finger in a pinky (at 30). The doc did tests and said I had tendonitis and the start of arthritis. he said doing nails didn't cause it..if you're going to get arthritis you'll get it...if not, you won't...it's genetic...but what you do can bring it on earlier. He also told me I'd probably not be doing nails by the time I was 40 if I didn't slow down. (I used to work 10-12 hours a day 5 days a week.) He prescribed me a pill that I took every day for 30 days and the trigger finger went away.

Over the years I've had mild symptoms...aching hands and joints but nothing too bad. I just put up with it. My grip is shot and I started using Versa Gripps. Can't lift without them now. I can pull 200 lbs on seated rows but without my gripps, I couldn't row over 100. Lately, I've had the trigger finger come back in my thumbs and the first joint at the base of my thumb is so sore and achy I can barely move it. When it accidentally locks...owie!

As far as estrogen levels, I am 46 yrs old. I'm not on any aas. Haven't gone into menopause but I'm sure I'm probably pre-menopausal at my age.

Do you think taking fish oil and glucosamine and all the usual joint stuff will help?

GirlyMuscle
06-08-2011, 09:17 AM
Been living with it for over 20 years. Glucosomine Chondotrin (sp) high dose 2x day, fish oils, coated ibuprofen as needed This takes couple months to start to see any relief

Thank Hammer. I was typing my last post when you posted. :)

KevinCouch
06-08-2011, 09:39 AM
I was diagnosed back when I was 30 yrs old but it never really bothered me. I did nails for 15 yrs and at one point developed trigger finger in a pinky (at 30). The doc did tests and said I had tendonitis and the start of arthritis. he said doing nails didn't cause it..if you're going to get arthritis you'll get it...if not, you won't...it's genetic...but what you do can bring it on earlier. He also told me I'd probably not be doing nails by the time I was 40 if I didn't slow down. (I used to work 10-12 hours a day 5 days a week.) He prescribed me a pill that I took every day for 30 days and the trigger finger went away.

Over the years I've had mild symptoms...aching hands and joints but nothing too bad. I just put up with it. My grip is shot and I started using Versa Gripps. Can't lift without them now. I can pull 200 lbs on seated rows but without my gripps, I couldn't row over 100. Lately, I've had the trigger finger come back in my thumbs and the first joint at the base of my thumb is so sore and achy I can barely move it. When it accidentally locks...owie!

As far as estrogen levels, I am 46 yrs old. I'm not on any aas. Haven't gone into menopause but I'm sure I'm probably pre-menopausal at my age.

Do you think taking fish oil and glucosamine and all the usual joint stuff will help?

Great post for this geriatric thread forum! Yes, I have stiff joints from top to bottom. I've added fish oils and it seems to help a little. Glucosamin hasn't worked for me and I've tried about 5 different brands. Mike what brand do you take?

I've been taking Aleve and it helps a little too but too much of this stuff can be bad for you liver and kidneys.

GirlyMuscle
06-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Yeah...I read to start with tylenol and when that doesn't work move on to NSAIDS. I just bought my first bottle of arthritis strength tylenol. ugh I've ignored it and pretended it didn't exist up to this point. Buying that made me realize, there's no more ignoring it and time to try to do something about it. lol

Hammerfit
06-08-2011, 10:24 AM
I use Puritan's Pride Brand Glucosamine: 1500mg 2 ea 2 x day/MSM Chondroitin Sulfate 1700mg 2 ea 2 x day This takes about 1-2 months for it too actually start to work, that's why most people give up on it.

Also use CLA, Fish Oil and Flaxseed Oil recommended dose 2 x day

15mg Meloxicam

daily baby aspirin

If it's a murderous leg day.....800 mgs of coated ibuprofin (I try not to do this, only if I cant walk!)

natenator
06-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Girly I have been using Voltaren Gel on all my problem areas(my whole body) and it gets me thru my workouts!
You need a prescription for it though!

Since when do you need a script? Completely OTC here in canuck land where its usually opposite and need scripts while you guys get otc

Baldiewonkanobi
06-08-2011, 10:54 AM
I have been diagnosed with xray and MRI arthritis in both knees and hips. Then most recently by my pec repair surgeon. "How do you lift with arthritis that bad in your shoulders?" I told him I had no idea I had it there but was treating my kness and hips. I use a BioCell Collagen/Glucoasamine/Condroitin/hyaluronic acid combo plus fish oils and then Aleve (only 200mg) when needed.

I credit the HA. Side effect is youthful supple skin. Even those crusty old man elbows become baby butt smooth. My feet are are also soft all over. Before...typical dry cracked heels, etc. I researched BioCell and believe that their delivery system thru the gut is vastly superior. Jarrow Formulas was my source for a few years until Vitamin Shoppe signed with BioCell. Product is called BioCell Collagen with Hyaluronic Acid. I take a double dose daily.

Baldie

HeavyDutyGuy
06-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Whats amazing is you guys who have it, just deal with and then go and kill it in the gym anyway- really an inspiration for the rest of us (I dont have it-yet- I think).

BigJD69
06-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Since when do you need a script? Completely OTC here in canuck land where its usually opposite and need scripts while you guys get otc
In the USA you need a script from a Doc. Voltaren also comes in pill form but being able to rub it on your injuries helps GREATLY!

GirlyMuscle
06-08-2011, 01:14 PM
I have been diagnosed with xray and MRI arthritis in both knees and hips. Then most recently by my pec repair surgeon. "How do you lift with arthritis that bad in your shoulders?" I told him I had no idea I had it there but was treating my kness and hips. I use a BioCell Collagen/Glucoasamine/Condroitin/hyaluronic acid combo plus fish oils and then Aleve (only 200mg) when needed.

I credit the HA. Side effect is youthful supple skin. Even those crusty old man elbows become baby butt smooth. My feet are are also soft all over. Before...typical dry cracked heels, etc. I researched BioCell and believe that their delivery system thru the gut is vastly superior. Jarrow Formulas was my source for a few years until Vitamin Shoppe signed with BioCell. Product is called BioCell Collagen with Hyaluronic Acid. I take a double dose daily.

Baldie

I have a Vitamin Shoppe card! I'll be checking that out. Thanks!

Whats amazing is you guys who have it, just deal with and then go and kill it in the gym anyway- really an inspiration for the rest of us (I dont have it-yet- I think).

It's what we all do. Deal with it and plug through. I'm sure you have things that would limit a mere mortal but you plug away too. :)

BigJD69
06-08-2011, 01:24 PM
In 9th Grade (didn't know it at the time)but I tore my Right Shoulder Labrium. My shoulder felt like it was hanging on by a thread. Anyway I went all throughout High School and College playing F-ball and of course training heavy with weights. When it started to interfere in my sleep is when I sought out my Ortho. So I prob. went close to 20 yrs. with that injury b4 having the surgery. I believe BBers and Weight lifters some how increase their tolerance for pain.

Hammerfit
06-09-2011, 08:33 AM

Baldie

Def will be checking into this one BioCell Collagen with Hyaluronic Acid.

That's what makes this forum what it is. Mentors teaching mentors. Is this it?

Vitamin Shoppe
BEST VALUE: Biocell Collagen With Hyaluronic Acid (1000 MG) (60 Veggie Caps, $0.53/serving)
Value Price: $15.99

Baldiewonkanobi
06-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Yes. They have a larger bottle lowering the per capsule cost. HA needs to be cumulative absorbed and takes a few weeks to reach effective levels.

Baldie

BEAST MODE
06-09-2011, 10:33 AM
I've got it in my right shoulder. I don't really take anything other than Animal Flex. 99% of the time, that's enough to keep me functioning normally. But occasionally I do have a flare-up. When that happens, I do use rx strength stuff...I think it's diclofenac. That takes care of it for me.