PDA

View Full Version : 4th Place Atlantic States (looking for suggestions on improvement)

Damien Myers
06-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Hey,

I recently competed in the superheavyweight class at the NPC Atlantic States and placed 4th in my class. I missed the weight cutoff and ended up weighing in at 228. I'm just looking for some critiques and things that I can improve upon going into this offseason. I may compete again before shutting it down and improving upon the things I need to improve.

Here is a link to the individual photos and I've attached some of the comparisons I'm on the far right.

http://gallery.rxmuscle.com/index.php?contest=36&year=360&bodybuilder=4611

Thanks again :)

Scoobysnacks
06-08-2011, 02:23 PM
didnt you post before? As you were thinking about prepping?

ANyways all the tools are there for sure. If anything thicker pecs to match the rest of ya. Judging from a really bad angled front lat shot looks like bigger medial delts (but hard to tell) and tighter conditioning, abs arent chiseled enough same with hams lower back glutes; if this is at 228 you shoulda been 220-218 to be properly conditioned. BUt conditioning wasnt horrible due to the fact you have great muscle bellies you can get away with a bit less conditioning.

Man when you are three lbs off you gotta really watch what you are doing the final week and make sure you hit your weight. You were up against guys probably weighing 250 to 265, not good. Live and learn there.

But yeah man, just work on getting denser and dialing in the conditioning, its all there.

Ss

Damien Myers
06-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Yeah it was a lesson learned for sure. Thanks again scooby and great job with Uriah by the way. I understand that conditioning is the name of the game and will probably hit another show a bit tighter before calling it a season and taking the time to bring up my overall density along with my chest.

Thanks again by the way for the suggestions.

tammyp
06-08-2011, 06:13 PM
agree w SS...tighten up and be in proper class and you will kill it.

Jude2
06-09-2011, 12:16 AM
You look good and that was a pretty tough SHW class. You would have looked much better as a HW. Nice back. YOu need thicher chest and bigger arms.

Damien Myers
06-09-2011, 12:35 AM
I appreciate the criticism for sure. I was pretty surprised when I got back there and was with Max just thinking what in the world am I doing in this class.

Youre right scooby. I was in school and thinking about starting a prep but the work just started to pile on and I realized that it wouldn't be possible to do both 100%.

It was a lesson learned but after this weekend its just back to the drawing board to work on weak points to make sure next time I see these guys I am actually ready to be in this class. I understand that it isn't really necessary to be 230+ pounds on stage as most professionals aren't even that size in contest condition.

I agree that I would have looked much better as a heavyweight but it was a lesson I learned the hard way that day :(

Damien Myers
07-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Ok just wanted to thank everyone for the advice. Now as far as national level competition is it a good idea to just diet down once more this year and get a qualification for national level competition next year just to make sure that I have it for next year. It really is a pain in the butt trying to do two shows in back to back weekends but just trying to figure out if it would be worth it to just dial it in once more this year before taking a full offseason and preparing for national level competition next year.

:dunno:

Figured I'd ask because the advice here has been pretty solid so far.

Jude2
07-24-2011, 06:45 PM
It really is just your call. If it was me I would try to get the qualification this year and then prepare for Jr USA or Jr Nationals for next year.

s2h
07-26-2011, 02:15 PM
i'm def with what everyone said..a little more pec thickness..but really all you need is to be more conditioned...that little extra condition would have put you in the HW's and would have made a world of diff..i would suggest hiring a prep coach..that way you wont run into the issues you had at this show...SS brings his peeps in some of the best shape i have seen..i def think he would put you in the right shape to do some major damage...