PDA

View Full Version : novice truck pull

kindom-muscle
06-15-2011, 06:30 AM
hey guys,i was approached to do a truck pull for charity,without thinking i said sure,why not! but here is my issue:
im only 200lbs,with a bodybuilding background,never did strongman training and dont know how i would even go about starting,so im asking all you strongmen(especially if you pulled a truck before) to give as much advice as possible,and is it even possible for a 200lb guy to pull a truck?
truck is regular truck(no trailer) and is not 4 another 3 months

robert da strongman
06-15-2011, 11:54 AM
are you talking semi truck?
and how are you pulling it? harnessed or arm over arm?

joshnow
06-15-2011, 04:09 PM
stay low, wear shoes that are very grippy yet flexible enough to bend when feet are at a sharp angle to the ground many guys wear climbing shoes, make sure with the pulling of the rope that you pull in doubles rather than singles, you cant let the vehicle slow or stop otherwise you have to apply more force to break inertia again.---the hardest part is the start.

right now you need train the body to work for 60seconds+ flat out at a very high intensity, to train for a truck pull without a truck you should take something from below.

using a sled load up as many plates as you can get, tie a sled rope to a belt and put the belt on try and remain as upward as you can taking moderate strides in as narrow a line as possible, build up to 5 distances of 10 metres, then slowly increase distance whilst reducing trips.

quality is key, your time of 5 trips of 10 metres all added up will at 1st be much faster than 1 trip of 100 metres, over time you will adapt.

your main weakness will be the grip if you are pulling a rope, I would suggest you get a rope and hang from two arms/pull ups with thick rope/hand over hand with thick rope/pullups with two towels looped over a bar.

smj091977
06-15-2011, 05:11 PM
using a sled load up as many plates as you can get, tie a sled rope to a belt and put the belt on try and remain as upward as you can taking moderate strides in as narrow a line as possible, build up to 5 distances of 10 metres, then slowly increase distance whilst reducing trips.

I disagree with the staying erect as you can. A 200 lber will get absolutely nowhere staying upright. You had it right in the first of your post. A good position to start in would be to think push up, fully extended, maybe a little higher. Keep both feet together for the push off. 1/4 or 1/8th squat position is good. I would also suggest doing sets of the pushoff. If training a small truck, use a slight uphill to add intensity or "weight."

joshnow
06-15-2011, 05:25 PM
I disagree with the staying erect as you can. A 200 lber will get absolutely nowhere staying upright. You had it right in the first of your post. A good position to start in would be to think push up, fully extended, maybe a little higher. Keep both feet together for the push off. 1/4 or 1/8th squat position is good. I would also suggest doing sets of the pushoff. If training a small truck, use a slight uphill to add intensity or "weight."

goal here is to progress raw power not use bodyweight at this stage.

use a few plates and build up.

robert da strongman
06-15-2011, 06:02 PM
no matter how big you have to get low to the ground and use your legs. if you can't keep parallel to the ground you will go nowhere

robert da strongman
06-15-2011, 06:08 PM
watch and learn....

NkoDJYDPVho

kindom-muscle
06-16-2011, 07:18 AM
It's just a pick up truck? If so that will be no problem to do.
its not a pick up,its a semi

kindom-muscle
06-16-2011, 07:20 AM
are you talking semi truck?
and how are you pulling it? harnessed or arm over arm?
harnessed and thank u for your advice mate,i appreciate it

smj091977
06-16-2011, 03:29 PM
goal here is to progress raw power not use bodyweight at this stage.

use a few plates and build up.

I disagree. Technique is THE key. You want to duplicate the movement as best you can, otherwise you won't hit the muscles you need to do it. My first time I pulled a semi I failed to make the distance because I didn't have the technique. I didn't get stronger for my next attempt but I got the technique and succeeded.

robert da strongman
06-16-2011, 03:42 PM
I disagree. Technique is THE key. You want to duplicate the movement as best you can, otherwise you won't hit the muscles you need to do it. My first time I pulled a semi I failed to make the distance because I didn't have the technique. I didn't get stronger for my next attempt but I got the technique and succeeded.

it is all technique...

fudo myo
06-21-2011, 05:30 PM
^^^this is true for learning the neural coordination. if your cns learns to push standing upright you're fucked. you should replicate the necessary movement as close as possible. if it was just about developing the muscles involved the most developed fighter would always win.