PDA

View Full Version : Have I missed the boat?

Skeptic
03-31-2009, 11:01 AM
There are two types of opinions offered on these types of forums:

1.- "You can do eeeeet" regardless of the physical realitites of the world.
2.- A realistic assessment from expereinced performers.

I seek opinion #2.

Is it possible for me to do an amateur local Strongman event given my background?

Data:

Current time back in the gym: Since Dec 2008
Strongman experience: zero. Seen it on TV.
Current weight: 295
Current bodyfat: 28ish% (ughhh)
Current squat: 1RM unknown 315x10 back squats below parallel no problem
Current Bench: 1RM measured 6 weeks ago = 275.
Current Deadlift: 405 for 3 sets of doubles each Friday.
Estimated time to get to goal of easily handling 405 squat, 315 bench, 500 DL with no injuries: approx 6-8 months.
Known weak bodypart: Shoulders particularly any kind of overhead pressing.

Am I better off as a fan and just lift for the lifting? No blowing smoke up my skirt please.

robert da strongman
03-31-2009, 11:14 AM
do you have someoen that you can train with?
it helps...

and yes you are capable of doing it. i have seen guys in their 60's competing. dont know about canada but we have a masters division in the states

Skeptic
03-31-2009, 11:35 AM
There is an Ontario Strongman's Association and they have a forum etc. A quick viewing showed a club within 20 miles of here that meets on Saturdays at 17:30. I think my plan would be to get to know this crew and watch the workouts throughout this summer while I gain strength in the gym. Then next summer I could start Strongman specific training with a view to competing late 2010 or possibly 2011.

IF I decide to try Strongman, and it WOULD be fun, then do I stick with my plan to lose some fat weight this summer (I was planning on a fullblown 12 week Palumbo Keto diet to lose some of this fucking fat) or do I just concentrate of gaining strength and let the body "repartition" on it's own?

tjoe
03-31-2009, 11:56 AM
There is an Ontario Strongman's Association and they have a forum etc. A quick viewing showed a club within 20 miles of here that meets on Saturdays at 17:30. I think my plan would be to get to know this crew and watch the workouts throughout this summer while I gain strength in the gym. Then next summer I could start Strongman specific training with a view to competing late 2010 or possibly 2011.

IF I decide to try Strongman, and it WOULD be fun, then do I stick with my plan to lose some fat weight this summer (I was planning on a fullblown 12 week Palumbo Keto diet to lose some of this fucking fat) or do I just concentrate of gaining strength and let the body "repartition" on it's own?Number one - you can do it IF you want to. But it will require some work for sure! The bench is not so important (none in strongman, or very rare). Your weak point is overheads and that is a STAPLE in any strongman comp! Absolutely have to bring up your deadlift. Your numbers there are not horrible but you would struggle to pick up a heavy farmers walk.

In response to the bold - Bad idea. If you WANT to do this, you neeed to try and jump in with that group ASAP!! Strongman is a different bread and solid technique can sometimes make up for a relative "lack" in strength. You will NOT get thet solid technique in the gym. You will learn it with expereinced guys!

Palumbo/diet/cardio - You are going to NEED calories to up your strength and make it through some long strongman training sessions. I would say hit the cardio HARD and eat to train!

Skeptic
03-31-2009, 12:03 PM
If you WANT to do this, you neeed to try and jump in with that group ASAP!! Strongman is a different bread and solid technique can sometimes make up for a relative "lack" in strength. You will NOT get thet solid technique in the gym. You will learn it with expereinced guys!

Then I shall contact them sooner rather than later.

robert da strongman
03-31-2009, 02:59 PM
yeah like joe said...better now than later.

Skeptic
04-01-2009, 10:48 AM
No activation for the Ontario Strongman Forums yet. :(

Got my bands from Westside Barbell inna mail and tried the light ones in addition to the scheduled squat workout. I can barely walk today. Note to self: bands = resistance you airhead. Back off on static weight.

robert da strongman
04-01-2009, 07:44 PM
haha bands will kill ya!!

best thing to do in the gym for strongman....deads & overhead pressing

tjoe
04-01-2009, 09:38 PM
agreed. deads are important for just about everything! There is usually some form of deadlift in general, it will help in tire flips, it'll help stones etc. Overheads are also a staple event. Try working with a different implement every time you do overheads: log, axle, bar etc. Also don't forget that some contest will have you clean EACH rep of a press as well so put a little time into cleaning.

Skeptic
04-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Started 5x5 once a week on standing presses. Currently at a mousey 95 lbs. :(

Skeptic
04-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Got a 425 PR deadlift today. Back is still tired from Tuesday's squatting. I am old and do not recover well. :mad:

Skeptic
04-05-2009, 03:47 PM
So I went to the local Strongman workout. Nice guys. But on the drive home it became clear that I have, in fact, missed the boat on this one.

1.- they are 10 to 20 years younger than me.
2.- they have every manner of injury known to humanity and some only aliens understand.
3.- they do nothing I would recognize as a warm-up.
4.- I am no where near strong enough to even begin playing in their sandbox.
5.- none of the implements "spoke" to me the way, say, certain guitars "speak" to me when I pick them up.
6.- finally, I feel no real sense of loss after looking in the mirror and deciding that Strongman looks cool, but I will never do it.

Glad I took a look, and glad I'm wise enough to know when to step back from the cliff. :D

tjoe
04-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Ah... Sorry bout that bro. Although i will say this: I have been to a few shows where there is an older gentleman competing and is not very strong BUT he frickin' LOVES it. He does his best and everyone cheers him on just like anyone else. His goal is to do better than he did last time, not to beat everybody else there.
The group you went to see may also be VERY advanced. If you had or could make some of the equipment yourself, then you could adjust the weights accordingly. Case in point: I got the invite to go down and train with Poundstone and some of those guys. It would be WAY out of my league... but, I am sure I would learn a thing or two AND I am sure it would make me become stronger.
Just some thoughts for you...
Hope you stick around the PL/Strongman section anyway and comment/contribute when you can.

Skeptic
04-05-2009, 06:44 PM
These were guys at the Provincial level. There is no Masters section up here in Canada yet. :( I would be competing to have fun.

realmccoy
04-05-2009, 08:31 PM
You have to start some where so yes you have a chance!

Skeptic
04-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Well I have decided to declare war on my woeful overhead pressing strength and to also include some power movements, specifically power cleans, into my routine. And trying to pick up an Atlas Stone really pointed oot my inadequate hip and lower back flexibility.

I might make a log press this summer.......

tjoe
04-06-2009, 04:32 PM
ata boy!
Just have fun with it!

robert da strongman
04-06-2009, 04:40 PM
These were guys at the Provincial level. There is no Masters section up here in Canada yet. :( I would be competing to have fun.

i know you can come down here and compete in masters events.