PDA

View Full Version : Posing tips

gman
03-31-2009, 03:35 PM
Would a posing tips thread be good? Rick helped me in another thread with my crappy posing. I have no local resources to go to for help, thought maybe a thread with Q&A's about posing might be cool. Maybe pics of good examples, etc.

I know there might be something like this in contest prep, but I am kind of reticent about posting there quite yet

I know Rick told me to do my forearms at a 45 degree angle instead of 90 on my double bi pose. I had thought that would actually make you not able to see the bicep as well, but I am going to try it in the mirror tonight to see!

If this idea is not popular, please feel free to delete the thread!

Sledge
03-31-2009, 03:39 PM
Great idea

I have a series of DVD called perfect posing thats prety good.

Also over at BB.com Bob chic has a video there that can be helpfull too. and it's free :-)

BEAST MODE
03-31-2009, 03:42 PM
I'm in...posing can always be improved.

esplendido
03-31-2009, 03:50 PM
Let me suggest an outline for this thread. If you want help with posing, post the following of yourself doing;

Front Double biceps
Front lat spread
Most muscular
Rear double biceps
Rear lat spread
Side chest
Best triceps pose

We can then chime in with suggestions....and good, kind advice only. I will remove posts that are mean-spirited!

esplendido
03-31-2009, 03:54 PM
BTW Mike, once you get that arm position down for your front double biceps, try it two ways: first, classic pose with knuckles towards head. Second, turn knuckles away from your head. See the difference in your biceps length.

The knuckles out position is good for guys (and gals) who have a short biceps insertion. It pulls the biceps towards the elbow, making them look bigger. You lose a little peak, but if you have a short biceps, it makes it look bigger, which is overall a better look.

gman
03-31-2009, 03:58 PM
tell me this Rick, I can fit two fingers between my elbow and bicep when flexed, is that indicative of short insertion, or is it pretty average?

Thanks again for doing this, this is a godsend. Now I just have to find someone patient enough to take pics of me in all the poses, or invest in a tripod!

sassy69
03-31-2009, 04:00 PM
Let me suggest an outline for this thread. If you want help with posing, post the following of yourself doing;

Front Double biceps
Front lat spread
Most muscular
Rear double biceps
Rear lat spread
Side chest
Best triceps pose

We can then chime in with suggestions....and good, kind advice only. I will remove posts that are mean-spirited!

You might also include examples of each from your own catalog of competition stuff. Helps to have a base to refer to.

HeavyDutyGuy
03-31-2009, 05:09 PM
tell me this Rick, I can fit two fingers between my elbow and bicep when flexed, is that indicative of short insertion, or is it pretty average?

Thanks again for doing this, this is a godsend. Now I just have to find someone patient enough to take pics of me in all the poses, or invest in a tripod!

Gman. Ellington Darden wrote about this several times. He spoke to the issue of muscle length as part of genetic potential. For biceps it went basically like this- 3 fingers means long attachments and short biceps- below average potential. 2 fingers was average potential. 1 finger was short attachment and long muscle- very good potential. No gap- excellent potential. My left bicep (pictured) has a short gap - had to squeeze my finger in. As a result, I have very good to excellent potential in the biceps. My right arm is less peaked, but the muscle is even longer. You can do the same for tricep, but its more complicated.

esplendido
03-31-2009, 05:11 PM

That is a classical short biceps insertion, Mike. And yes, I think the majority of people have that. I do. My wife, however, has deep insertions....to where they appear to almost insert on the forearm.

HeavyDutyGuy
03-31-2009, 05:30 PM
Rick, how many fingers can you insert into the biceps gap. You have some big arms. Looks from that pic that you have longer triceps. It looks like your wife has some long biceps bellies. Can you post a close up pic? Here's my right arm- no real gap at all- finger wouldn't begin to fit, lol.

esplendido
03-31-2009, 05:42 PM
Here are the Mandatory Poses as shown by the pros and top ams.

esplendido
03-31-2009, 05:52 PM
Rick, how many fingers can you insert into the biceps gap. You have some big arms. Looks from that pic that you have longer triceps. It looks like your wife has some long biceps bellies. Can you post a close up pic? Here's my right arm- no real gap at all- finger wouldn't begin to fit, lol.

I can get 2 fingers between my bi and forearm. I have very long arms (I'm 6'-4") and even though my arms are 20", they still look a little undersized for my overall physique. I do have very long triceps, which is where most of my arm size comes from, as the picture in the previous post shows.

You are blessed with those biceps. You'll have a very good front dbl biceps shot and, as Arnold did, you should show them often to draw attention away from any weak points in your routine.

esplendido
03-31-2009, 05:54 PM
BTW, that picture of my right arm was taken by the photographer below stage level looking up, so my biceps is hidden somewhat from the angle.

gman
03-31-2009, 05:55 PM
Rick is there not a mandatory pose where you stand and do turns? Pardon my attempt here, but standing like this, and just doing quarter turns until you get 360 degrees? If it's not mandatory I am going to kill the person that made me do it! lol

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w294/namtrag/front2007-2-27.jpg

gman
03-31-2009, 05:58 PM

actually when I did my forearm past 90 degrees, I can only fit 1 finger, a good sign!

HeavyDutyGuy
03-31-2009, 06:09 PM
It has to be 90 degrees Gman.. If I close past 120, I have no gap at all. Which by the way, limits my rom.. As to the poses, you're right, there's "relaxed" front, back and both sides. You end up being as judged on those as anything. Your legs are good. Point the toes and hence out just a tad more. The upper body- don't try to put your arms out so much. Try this.I stand relaxed, hit the legs, then suck in your gut, breathing in and expanding your rib cage., let your shouders rise and 'set' into position. Bend your arms at the elbow, put your hands by the top of your trunks. And pull up, as if you were puling them up at the top. Try it and you will look 100% better!

esplendido
03-31-2009, 06:14 PM
Rick is there not a mandatory pose where you stand and do turns? Pardon my attempt here, but standing like this, and just doing quarter turns until you get 360 degrees? If it's not mandatory I am going to kill the person that made me do it! lol

Those are the mandatory 'relaxed' quarter turns, which preceed the mandatory poses in prejudging. You are holding your arms out too far and too straight and not flaring your lats. It appears you are pinching your shoulder blades together in the back.

Stand relaxed, then spread your lats out, which will push your upper arms out. Then bend your forearms at the elbow to bring your hands back towards your body.

Your arms should only stand off your body because your lats hold them off. Too many people hold them out farther, thinking it makes them look wider, when, in fact, it makes them look narrower. Even some of the pros overdo it.

HeavyDutyGuy
03-31-2009, 06:15 PM
I can get 2 fingers between my bi and forearm. I have very long arms (I'm 6'-4") and even though my arms are 20", they still look a little undersized for my overall physique. I do have very long triceps, which is where most of my arm size comes from, as the picture in the previous post shows.

You are blessed with those biceps. You'll have a very good front dbl biceps shot and, as Arnold did, you should show them often to draw attention away from any weak points in your routine.

You have more room to grow I think, mostly in the tri. Really nice sweep in the back bicep pic. Maybe 21 is a possibilty? I know I was lucky with arms- biceps especially. To be honest,, I don't even train them much in the offseason, I spent most of my training time on larger muscles and weak points. I have been really pushing on arms lately though, since freaky bodyparts seem to score heavily and symmetry not as much as it maybe once did. Give em what they want, me thinks!

gman
04-01-2009, 05:29 AM
Is there a secret to getting the lats to pop out, I know I have lats, but I can't ever get them to spread! I think it must be easier than I think, so once I figure out I will wonder why I never could get them to.

Sledge
04-01-2009, 05:37 AM
Legs are looking pretty chunky there mate good work.

Sledge
04-01-2009, 05:54 AM
Why not start with the standing relaxed, how to execute the 1/4 turns. Building the pose from the ground up etc etc etc

gman
04-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Legs are looking pretty chunky there mate good work.

That was a couple years back when I got down to 192. It's amazing how thick 23 1/2" thighs can look without a lot of fat on them.

GirlyMuscle
04-01-2009, 10:10 AM
That was a couple years back when I got down to 192. It's amazing how thick 23 1/2" thighs can look without a lot of fat on them.Wow...really. They look bigger than that. Then I guess my 25 inch thunder thighs will still be ok when I drop the fat.

gman
04-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Wow...really. They look bigger than that. Then I guess my 25 inch thunder thighs will still be ok when I drop the fat.

It's an illusion, isn't that what they say!?

The 23 1/2 was relaxed, I have never measured them flexed.

GirlyMuscle
04-01-2009, 10:30 AM
To be honest I never measure anything flexed except my bicep.

GerryT
04-01-2009, 01:54 PM
This is a great idea and will refer a few guys I'm coaching here.

esplendido
04-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Is there a secret to getting the lats to pop out, I know I have lats, but I can't ever get them to spread! I think it must be easier than I think, so once I figure out I will wonder why I never could get them to.

Practice fexing them. Do it without moving or flexing any other bodypart. You can do it in your chair at work. Muscle control is learned....not instinctive. Once you can isolate your lats, stand in front of the mirror and flex them, again, without moving any other part. Then, pull your upper arms away from your sides a little to reveal the lats....opening them up more. Do this everytime you're in the gym until you have good control.

Practicing posing is as important as lifting. If you don't practice, you won't have any control. This goes for lifting, too. If you can't concentrate on the muscle group you're working, you can't build it to its potential. Sure, you have other muscles aiding when working a particular muscle. BUT, you have to be able to concentrate your effort in the muscle being specifically worked. If you can't independently flex it, you can't concentrate on it when working it.

Practice on all your muscles. Flex one pec at a time, for example. Learn the positions that maximize the peak on each muscle. You'll be surprised how it helps in your workouts. The MIND/MUSCLE connection!

gman
04-01-2009, 02:23 PM
I will try this Rick. I just can't figure out what to do, it's easy to flex a bi or a tri, you just bend or extend your arm. The lat just sits there!

I just tried flexing one pec at a time. The right one worked, no luck on the left!

It's going to be a long process to figure this part out, probably harder than the lifting and dieting to get right!

Sledge
04-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Practicing posing is as important as lifting. If you don't practice, you won't have any control. This goes for lifting, too. If you can't concentrate on the muscle group you're working, you can't build it to its potential. Sure, you have other muscles aiding when working a particular muscle. BUT, you have to be able to concentrate your effort in the muscle being specifically worked. If you can't independently flex it, you can't concentrate on it when working it.

Practice on all your muscles. Flex one pec at a time, for example. Learn the positions that maximize the peak on each muscle. You'll be surprised how it helps in your workouts. The MIND/MUSCLE connection!

All so true. I find trying to pose (I suck at it) exhausting. I feel like I've run a marathon after trying to practice all the compulsories.

I tried to get GM to teach me some stuff and I'm so bad I thought she was going to go find a pick handle and beat me with it. (and that was just front lat)

I know all the theory behind it. Have watched all the videos, read a few books. I can even pick out and correct faults in others posing quite well.

But when I try and do it myself, it just doesn't happen. So Esplendido is 100% correct practice practice practice.

Sledge
04-01-2009, 03:13 PM
EJy9jcqFUHA

Sledge
04-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Y9pBzKCtsg8

Sledge
04-01-2009, 03:19 PM
TQ2vhNmASv8

Sledge
04-01-2009, 03:37 PM
SallyAnne Loves this guy. I think they used to date, or she wants to date him, or something. Either way shes infatuated with him.:D:p:eek:

4SqCTtBm9GI

xPJCNnPoDXE

1v0uahpXxpI

BSCPUJIDOoU

DPrvhP2fUdU

hLLAZFwo3Rg

esplendido
04-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Good stuff!

sassy69
04-02-2009, 01:44 AM
That's some of the best posing instruction I've ever seen. He calls out a lot of little tips!

Something that I've come across a lot more recently is what he noted on the side relaxed poses in the Part 2 about how they may call you by number and tell you to face the guy in front of you instead of that twisting pose to show more front. I've been seeing a lot of this where they will tell you up front or at the competitors' meeting that they want to do those side symmetry poses w/ arms to the side.

My take on this is that if they've already told you once, and you do the side twist anyway, it just seems like they're more annoyed than anything getting everyone to do it. It then seems like you either were spacing out when they told you to NOT do that or it completely throws you to figure out how to stand w/ arms to your side. That's how it looks to me. Which then further just says you're not prepared for the stage.

What I've recommended doing (and I do this too), when you turn to do the side relaxed, while you're setting up you can do that side twist, show the judges for a few seconds, and then settle into the true, arms to your side, facing the guy in front of you pose. This is all a minor detail, but IMO it shows polish. I've even seen figure girls completely lost if they were told how to do that side relaxed pose w/ the twist and then the judges have to repeat "Arms to your sides, ladies", they literally get flustered because they're on stage w/ all the nerves that go with that, have been taught only one way, and are being told to do it a different way. I'd suggest practicing the quarter turns doing the little side twist and then settling into your side pose.

HeavyDutyGuy
04-02-2009, 02:52 AM
Honestly, check out pics of Arnold and Ed Corney do the standing and mandatories if you want to know how they SHOULD look.

GerryT
04-03-2009, 02:01 PM
A lot of excellent advice here. Great to see such an exchange of info.

Sledge
04-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Yeah it is. I have the perfect posing DVD and it's good to learn the basics and how to build each pose etc. I have the chic one saved to my computer just a different perspective of the same thing.

red barraca
04-05-2009, 12:16 PM
wow!thanks guys for now on iam coming here to the masters forum to learn.

GerryT
04-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Wouldalso like to recommend Rusty Jeffers' Perfect Posing DVD. Besides giving a good foundation for the mandatories, he gives you some good routine building tips and shows proper positions for transitional poses and picking music.

Check out www.rustyjeffers.net (http://www.rustyjeffers.net) for more info (Click on Store). I use ideas from this DVD in my coaching and highly recommend it. Agree with Rusty's mantra that good posing is making everyone believe you're on vacation up on stage and not working hard!

Dom
04-07-2009, 04:46 PM
I would check around on you tube, It has all of the top guys . I lean towards the Zane, Larry Scott, Ed Corney style. It can make or break all of your hard work if you dont get it down. Seeing Ed's style is like art in motion.

musclejl
04-11-2009, 11:48 AM
I have no experience regarding posing, nevertheless I am sure there are mandatory poses you must hit and hit.

Try using a mirror and have someone with experience watch as you strike a pose - see what you need to work on.
If you can, tape yourself with a video cam and watch how you look and perform.

Confidence is KEY on STAGE and please smile.

Have some sense of style and flow, if you don't have rythm & can't dance - then your in trouble.

Don't run off the stage, stay as long as you can. [You put in the time at the gym, diet - enjoy yourself]

Some guys leave even before there time, like they don't want to be there.

Just my observance from going to shows.
Stay cool and good luck to you.

HeavyDutyGuy
04-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Also practice, practice, practice. When you can do them without thinking, you'll be there.

musclejl
04-12-2009, 10:23 AM
I agree, lots of practice and FLEXING.

HeavyDutyGuy
Also practice, practice, practice. When you can do them without thinking, you'll be there.

Dom
04-12-2009, 04:09 PM
The more practice , the more control and better looking muscle!!!
It is also a great way to see what is missing or what need to be fixed!