PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder replacement surgery

Solid1944
06-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Question: Has anyone had shoulder replacement done and still lift?
I'm 67 years old and last November got my dream bench of 405. Have not done it since, my shoulderes are killing me. Went to Ortho. Dr. and he is telling me I need both shoulders replced, advanced arthritis. Got cortisone injections which helped a lot, more movement. He is telling me he can only give them every 3 months. I'm hoping between stretching and light lifting I can put this off. Anyone else with this?

nip49
06-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Frank Zane had shoulder relpacement surgey.

Rocco1943
06-22-2011, 04:15 PM
I have started with shoulder problems and have been warned of replacement surgery later on as well. I also have knee problems and have been able to put off replacement surgery there with "Supartz" injections 2 times a year. I was told by my ortho that they are starting to use that for shoulders as well. Might want to check it out.

Solid1944
06-22-2011, 05:00 PM
Thanks Rodney,I will look into that. Like you will try to hold off for as long as I can. My fiancee has been told she needed knee replacements and has been doing well with shots of Hyalurnic acid.

Solid1944
06-22-2011, 05:07 PM
In looking up Supartz it appears to be the same has Hyalurnic Acid. I asked Dr. if he could do my shoulders with that and he said it was not approved for shoulders. I have him thinking about it because I told him maybe I could be the lab rat to try it on.

Rocco1943
06-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Yeah, its not approved for it yet, but there has been some uses of it on a trial basis. Originally, it came from the combs of roosters, but now it is lab created I think. There is a new dosage that requires only one shot per week for 3 weeks rather than the 2 a week for 3 weeks. My thought is you can always do the surgery later, but once its done there is no turning back. Just not ready for that,. Good luck

Baldiewonkanobi
06-22-2011, 10:37 PM
Biocell Collagen with Hyaluronic Acid. Available at Vitamin Shoppe. I double dose. I cheated double knee replacements 10 years ago with Biocell. Last January I tore my pec off the humerous bone. The surgeon looked at the CT Scan and asked how in hell do I lift with arthritis so bad in my shoulders. I had no idea....I have no shoulder pain. I suicide squat to 500 pounds X 6 and military press 180 X 10. Go figure...I'm 71.

Baldie

Solid1944
06-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Thanks Baldie. just got a hold of some at the Vitamin shoppe and will give it a try. LIke you I'm going to try to hold off as long as I can. Same here had no idea arthritis was so bad. As of this morning the cortisone shots have made one hell of a difference (new man) knock on wood. Keep training hard and thanks again, good luck and stay well.

Baldiewonkanobi
06-23-2011, 09:56 AM
Solid....since it takes a build up time for the HA to work the Cortisone shot wearing off and HA kicking in might be good timing. Good luck!!

Baldie

toxic Avenger
06-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Thanks Rodney,I will look into that. Like you will try to hold off for as long as I can. My fiancee has been told she needed knee replacements and has been doing well with shots of Hyalurnic acid.

I have looked into these shots. I think they are a good idea. I have not used yet. I know a few people that get them and the relief lasts 2-3 months on average. Hyaluran is a normal component of joint fluid making them glide and retain proper fluid balance and cushioning. As we age we lose the capacity to make enough. I have told myself I would start getting them if I start fighting again. My knees shoulders, lower back and neck are on their way to beat up's ville. Knees are arthritic with pictures to show. I would advise lower weights and higher reps for 6 months to see if you can get some healing. I woulds witch from cortisone to hyaluran shots. Cortisone is catabolic. Eventually it will make the problem much worse. The hyaluran actually protect the way the joint wa meant to be protected. Plus it is anti-inflammatory. If you use steroids I find the following to be a good therapy for joint pain relief with all the other benefits.

NPP 200-300 mg/w
test C 200-300 mg/w
GHRP-2 200 iu before bed 5 days a week
hCG 250 iu EOD
Arimidex 0.5 mg MWF

NPP and GHRP-2 have anti-inflammatory effects. The test and hCG are for androgen support and hormone balance respectively. Obviously Arimidex is for estrogen control.

Hammerfit
06-23-2011, 10:32 AM
I have looked into these shots. I think they are a good idea. I have not used yet. I know a few people that get them and the relief lasts 2-3 months on average. Hyaluran is a normal component of joint fluid making them glide and retain proper fluid balance and cushioning. As we age we lose the capacity to make enough. I have told myself I would start getting them if I start fighting again. My knees shoulders, lower back and neck are on their way to beat up's ville. Knees are arthritic with pictures to show. I would advise lower weights and higher reps for 6 months to see if you can get some healing. I woulds witch from cortisone to hyaluran shots. Cortisone is catabolic. Eventually it will make the problem much worse. The hyaluran actually protect the way the joint wa meant to be protected. Plus it is anti-inflammatory. If you use steroids I find the following to be a good therapy for joint pain relief with all the other benefits.

NPP 200-300 mg/w
test C 200-300 mg/w
GHRP-2 200 iu before bed 5 days a week
hCG 250 iu EOD
Arimidex 0.5 mg MWF

NPP and GHRP-2 have anti-inflammatory effects. The test and hCG are for androgen support and hormone balance respectively. Obviously Arimidex is for estrogen control.

I woulds witch from cortisone to hyaluran shots. Cortisone is catabolic. Eventually it will make the problem much worse.

Very true...stay away from cortisone, just masks the problem

Solid1944
06-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Thanks guys, I'm on 300 test now along with GHRP-6 and CJC 1295 100 each twice a day. Arimidex .5 eod. So far have not been able to talk Dr. into hyaluran shots into shoulders, keeps saying it's not approved for that.

DUKE56
06-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Great information guys, I'm trying to get rid of the shoulder pain and hold off a knee replacement.

Solid1944
06-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Hi Duke, try Hyaluranic acid shots for your knee. My fiancee has had great results with them. Has held off knee replacements for 2 years now.

BigJD69
06-27-2011, 05:40 PM
Get a second opinion.