PDA

View Full Version : In depth cholesterol explanation ?

mishalew1
03-31-2009, 05:14 PM
Hey everyone,

I am looking for an in-depth explanation to how dietary cholesterol has minimal negative side effects on the body.

I have access to almost every Journal Article because I am in University and was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction or even better give me an in-depth explanation of it.

when I do a search in the universities database I get 1000+ :eek: peer reviewed journal articles on cholesterol and I have no clue where to start reading.

Thanks,

- Misha

:wavey:

Tatyana
03-31-2009, 05:19 PM
Link the searches:

- cholesterol, statins and depression

- cholesterol and metabolic syndrome

mishalew1
03-31-2009, 05:26 PM
Hey just tried that search as well. Downloaded a few articles will read through them later. But thus far the Abstract seems to indicate that Statins are used to lower cholesterol.

I am more interested in finding an article which shows that consuming high cholesterol doesn't exactly affect your cholesterol levels.

Isn't that what Dave P agrees on ? Which is why he says its ok to eat say 6 complete Eggs Yolk and all a day.

Thanks for the statins idea, the 2 articles I downloaded seem interesting.

Tatyana
03-31-2009, 05:30 PM
Hey just tried that search as well. Downloaded a few articles will read through them later. But thus far the Abstract seems to indicate that Statins are used to lower cholesterol.

I am more interested in finding an article which shows that consuming high cholesterol doesn't exactly affect your cholesterol levels.

Isn't that what Dave P agrees on ? Which is why he says its ok to eat say 6 complete Eggs Yolk and all a day.

Thanks for the statins idea, the 2 articles I downloaded seem interesting.

High dietary cholesterol from animal sources increases my cholesterol levels, but this isn't true for everyone.

The issue with decreasing cholesterol, especially with statins, is that it increases the incidence of violence deaths.

I have a paper somewhere at home (I am at work right now) on the link with low cholesterol and violence.

People seem to think that the lower the cholesterol the better, but when it gets to around 3 mmol/L there is a greater tendency for people to throw themselves off a bridge.

Also, if cholesterol is this low in the elderly, it indicates malnutrition.

mishalew1
03-31-2009, 05:35 PM
Hmm thats really interesting, do you have that paper electronically ? Would like to read it if you could send it somehow. Or if you have the exact name I could look it up.

Wouldn't that low cholesterol also have negative effects on Testosterone ?

I would also assume that the cholesterol/testosterone levels would have different effects on male/female correct ?

I am still looking for a reason or article as to why cholesterol isn't increased through dietary intake for some people and it does for others. Would you happen to know that ?

Tatyana
03-31-2009, 05:46 PM
Hmm thats really interesting, do you have that paper electronically ? Would like to read it if you could send it somehow. Or if you have the exact name I could look it up.

Wouldn't that low cholesterol also have negative effects on Testosterone ?

I would also assume that the cholesterol/testosterone levels would have different effects on male/female correct ?

I am still looking for a reason or article as to why cholesterol isn't increased through dietary intake for some people and it does for others. Would you happen to know that ?

I would think that the difference is going to be related to polymorphisms in the HMG-CoA reductase.

We do synthesis cholesterol from acetyl-CoA, which is one of the end products of glycolysis (pyruvate to acetyl-CoA), which then enters the Kreb's cycle.

I don't think many people live who have inborn errors in glycolysis.

There is an interesting paper in The New England Journal of Medicine or The Lancet about the use of statins in children, it is interesting as it gives the implications of interrupting cholesterol synthesis.

There are also immunological issues and structural issues with statins.

I am positive there is free access to this article.

http://www.unige.ch/cyberdocuments/theses2003/Dimitrova-TirefortY/images/Diapositive11.jpg

http://e.hormone.tulane.edu/learning/images/synthesis-progestin.gif

mishalew1
03-31-2009, 05:57 PM
Haha nice, you totally lost me there, I know limited amounts about Krebs cycle and glycolysis but once you threw in acetyl-CoA I got lost haha.

I will have to read up on this stuff before I can discuss it further lol

Still looking for an in-depth answer to this quote from DP's Q&A.

[Quote:

Do you recommend your diet for someone with high cholesterol? I am a regular joe, 5-9, 250 20% BF, 25 yrs old, with high cholesterol (280)...I tried looking info on this matter online and I could find anything.....thanks for your help and time...
DP: Yes, because sugar raises cholesterol way more than eating cholesterol does. Sugar causes the body to synthesize excessive amount of cholesterol.
Quote]

Tatyana
03-31-2009, 06:21 PM
Haha nice, you totally lost me there, I know limited amounts about Krebs cycle and glycolysis but once you threw in acetyl-CoA I got lost haha.

I will have to read up on this stuff before I can discuss it further lol

Still looking for an in-depth answer to this quote from DP's Q&A.

[Quote:

Do you recommend your diet for someone with high cholesterol? I am a regular joe, 5-9, 250 20% BF, 25 yrs old, with high cholesterol (280)...I tried looking info on this matter online and I could find anything.....thanks for your help and time...
DP: Yes, because sugar raises cholesterol way more than eating cholesterol does. Sugar causes the body to synthesize excessive amount of cholesterol.
Quote]

What course are you taking?

This is where acetyl-CoA fits in:

http://fajerpc.magnet.fsu.edu/Education/2010/Lectures/18_Cellular_Respiration_files/image016.gif

I am able to do a lot of blood work on myself, so when I manipulate my diet, I often check a lot of things.

While I quite liked the ultra low carb/high fat diet while I was on it, it seriously trashed my cholesterol levels, I had higher levels of LDL (the bad cholesterol), and despite having really good re-feeds, it seriously suppressed my thyroid gland.

Yes, HMG-CoA is more active when blood glucose levels are high, but the body clears glucose from the bloodstream quite quickly unless you are eating massive quantities of sugar.

I really don't think it is definitive that it is just glucose.

Not everyone is the same, some people will have issues with cholesterol from glucose, others will have issues with cholesterol from fat.

mishalew1
03-31-2009, 06:34 PM
Well I am a Psychology Major but I love nutrition and have been reading books and articles for years now. I am trying to get a minor in nutrition but it doesn't seem possible to combine the 2. So I would just take nutrition courses as "electives"

I do however have courses like "molecules and the mind" and "biological psychology" where we discuss how the molecules interact with the body and more specifically the brain and how the metabolism plays a role with all of this.

So I get alot of info out of that, then read up on nutrition stuff relevant to the things we study in class.

We did for example go a little more in-depth on Leptin and one reason the re-feed probably wouldn't work on Leptin would be because its the body's "long term" measure of body fat. There are 2 things that elevate Leptin, 1) High body fat 2) carbs/high blood sugar, but as soon as the body clears the blood sugar, leptin supposedly falls right back down to its normal level, according to your body fat.
So the gains of Leptin would be countered by the elevated bloodsugar levels and their shouldn;t be any effect on aiding weight loss during that period.

I am not sure if I remember correctly if Leptin is somehow related to thyroid levels or not.

Tatyana
03-31-2009, 06:37 PM
Well I am a Psychology Major but I love nutrition and have been reading books and articles for years now. I am trying to get a minor in nutrition but it doesn't seem possible to combine the 2. So I would just take nutrition courses as "electives"

I do however have courses like "molecules and the mind" and "biological psychology" where we discuss how the molecules interact with the body and more specifically the brain and how the metabolism plays a role with all of this.

So I get alot of info out of that, then read up on nutrition stuff relevant to the things we study in class.

We did for example go a little more in-depth on Leptin and one reason the re-feed probably wouldn't work on Leptin would be because its the body's "long term" measure of body fat. There are 2 things that elevate Leptin, 1) High body fat 2) carbs/high blood sugar, but as soon as the body clears the blood sugar, leptin supposedly falls right back down to its normal level, according to your body fat.
So the gains of Leptin would be countered by the elevated bloodsugar levels and their shouldn;t be any effect on aiding weight loss during that period.

I am not sure if I remember correctly if Leptin is somehow related to thyroid levels or not.

It is.

Funny enough, I was reading a wee bit on the relationship of the restoration of leptin levels in hypothryoid patients who were treated with thyroxine.