PDA

View Full Version : What Routine is everyone using?

mkris7
07-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Hi Guys/Gals

There so many different roads to the same destination in this sport it is amazing. I was wondering if you guys/gals are willing to share what type of pre-contest routine your using i.e., training each body part once per wk, twice per wk, 3 on 1 off split etc?

I made good gains on training one body part per week (for gaining size and strength but needed a little more to bring out more quality). Tried several different routines but right now what seems to be working for me is a working each body part twice over an 9 day period as follows:

D1-Chest
D2-Back/traps
D3-ARMS/Shoulders
D4-Legs/Abs
D5-Rest
D6-Chest/Back
D7-Shoulders/Arms
D8-Legs
D9-Rest

*ABS/CALVES worked 3x
*Cardio done everyday except Legs.

I guess this is basically a 4/1-3/1 split

My challenge was that I could not recuperate fast enough doing the 70's and 80's style training but switching to training each body part once per wk just wasn't enough I felt to carve in the detail that I will need to dial in so I came up with something in between the that will hopefully give me the best of both worlds. As with life, everything subject for change LOL:)

Tim Wescott
07-04-2011, 06:31 AM
I felt the same way,and just recently switched to training everything twice a week.

So far,I believe it`s helping me out immensely...........getting in great shape, and noticing changes day by day.

Day 1-Quads,Hams,Calves
Day 2-Chest,Back,Abs,Cardio
Day 3-Shoulders,Arms,Cardio
Day 4-Same as day 1
Day 5-Same as day 2
Day 6-Same as day 3
Day 7-Cardio,Abs (sometimes I use this as a rest day,sometimes I don`t)

King Kyle
07-04-2011, 07:19 AM
So you train cheat then triceps on consecutive days?? I was looking to switch up too. Something like this..and for cardio. I try to do atleast a little everyday

1) chest/triceps/shoulders
2) back/biceps/abs
3) legs/forearms
4) rest
5) chest/triceps/shoulders
6) back/biceps/abs
7) legs/forearms

Hammerfit
07-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Back
Chest
Delts or Rest/ mostly rest day my delts dont need much direct work
Legs offseason I split them into quad or hams and do the other one on Sun - after Jan I train both quads and hams together 2x
Arms
Chest #2
Legs #2

Abs and calves I try and hit 3 x week wherever I feel like I have the energy

Cardio is 30 mins HIIT everyday except leg days

Sandpig
07-04-2011, 08:13 AM
Back/Bi's/Hams
Chest/Delts/Tri's
Calves/Quads - Calves first because they are my weakest BP

I train 5 days/wk so each week one of the groupings only gets hit once.

Tim Wescott
07-04-2011, 09:02 AM
So you train cheat then triceps on consecutive days??
Yes,right now I am........doesn`t seem to be affecting me adversely.

Normally I`d do:
Chest + Back
Legs
Shoulders + Arms

This way I`d have a rest day between upperbody workouts but as it is,I feel I need to train my legs first in the week when I`m fresh, as they are a weak bodypart and do not respond well to training.

Very frustrating,but nothing to do except to keep on keeping on.

HeavyDutyGuy
07-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Well I am in deep off season now so only training twice a week hal and half split. Been on midnight shift and usually am sleeping on daylight hours.

masterschamp
07-05-2011, 01:20 PM
I have always like high volume, heavy weights. I now have kicked up the reps, too, still going as heavy as I can in the targeted rep range.....I have made significant progress since I did this. My split looks like this:

M Delts, Triceps, Mini Chest
T Back, R Delts, Traps, Mini Biceps
W Mini Quads, Mini Hams, Mini Calves
TH Chest, Biceps
F Mini Back, Mini Delts, Mini Triceps
S Quads, Hams, Calves
SU OFF

Keith

KevinCouch
07-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Right now my weekly spilit is:

Chest, Triceps
Back, Biceps
Shoulders, Traps, Hams, Addcutors, Abductors added recently to ham split
Quads

I take offdays whenever I need them sometimes between split sometimes after quad work. This split gets a lttile tricky with doing hams the day before quads so my offday sometimes is after shoulder/ham/adductor.

Now my routine is different everytime I step in the gym. Constantly shocking the muscles. I do calves and abs once every three days or so but recently I've dropped my calves work to once every 5 days because I've added cardio on treadmill in at least eod.

JoeB8962
07-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Day 1 - Calves, Quads and Abs
Day 2 - Delts, Back and Chest
Day 3 - Off day to train
Day 4 - Calves, Hams and Abs
Day 5 - Little more Delts, Back and Chest but mainly Biceps and Triceps
Day 6 - Off day to train
Day 7 - Off day to train

Everyday 60 min liss cardio 120 bpm and 40 more min pwo
Day 3 and Day 6, 25 min hiit cardio

newaza007
07-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Good info! Interesting splits that everyone uses.

Baldiewonkanobi
07-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Muscle confusion. My basic plan is to hit legs twice a week with arms/pecs/delts trap/back on seperate days. Most days I know what body part I will do the next day....'most days'. I sometimes do twoadays....take Sundays off.

This way I NEVER tire of going to the gym.

Baldie