PDA

View Full Version : Whey Protein Review Thread!

MisledYouth
04-01-2009, 04:56 PM
List all the whey protein powders you have tried (well, as many as you'd like), and let us know what your overall opinion of it was, i.e. taste, texture, smell, quality, etc.

I'll Start with all the ON whey I have tried:

Rocky Road: Bought a 10lb bag of this, tasted great for the first 5lbs, then got a little old. Has a very sweet taste (like a very sweet chocolate), also picked up on a little vanilla/marshmellow flavor too. Next time, wouldn't buy more than 2lbs at once. Great in milk, okay in water.

Double Rich Chocolate: Who hasn't tried this classic flavor? Pretty standard chocolate whey, in my opinion it's a little bitter and weak tasting in water, but it is drinkable from an every day standard. Tastes a lot better in skim milk. I have gone through numerous 10lb bags of this stuff in the past.

Strawberry: Solid flavor, with a slight chemical after taste. Tastes just like strawberry nesquick when with milk. Again, I can't drink this all time, just gets old. It's pretty foamy as well after a few shakes.

Mocha/coffee flavor: Love this shit! tastes even better in milk. reminiscent of a light frapachino from starbucks.... Only drawback, is that it has caffeine, which concerned me for night time purposes.

Banana: Another good flavor, among my favorite banana flavors relative to others that I have tried. Like most non-traditional flavors, it gets old after a few pounds.

Chocolate Mint: Don't like chocolate mint to begin with, but my buddy gave me a 2lbs of it for free, so I figured what the hell.... I thought the mint flavor was overpowering, and was even more pronounced in milk. Thumbs down from me.

Rootbeer Float: Holy awkward flavor! I kinda liked it though. Very very sweet, does taste somewhat like rootbeer when in water. In milk, this shit almost has a buttery taste. Drinkable, but only once in a blue moon.

Egg Nog: I like regular egg nog when it is season, didn't think I would ever see it as whey flavor. Anyway, pretty decent in milk, sucks and is bland as hell in water. Has a lot of spice to it, more spice than your standard egg nog. If you've got milk kicking around, give it a shot sometime.

Muscle Milk Flavors (no RTD's, just the tubs)...

Chocolate PB: Delicious, the PB flavor is very subtle, but not unnoticeable. I actually never tried it in water, as I used the muscle milk for bulking purposes (damn near 700 calories from two scoops with 14oz's skim milk). Mixes thick, and fills you up! Good for forearm development.

Chocolate: Classic flavor, tastes great, doesn't get old. No bitter initial or after taste. two thumbs up!

Strawberry Banana: Tastes pretty good. Strawberry flavor is very dominate. doesn't mix well, always had a few clumps to chomp down at the end of every shake. Solid taste nonetheless.

GNC brand Whey Isolate Flavors (hey, there was a sale!)

Chocolate: All three flavors (chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla) mixed flawlessly, as expected for isolate. The chocolate tasted like shit, had a horrible chemical aftertaste... Since I had two pound tubs of all three flavors on hand at the same time, I tried my best to avoid this one! Worst chocolate flavor ever!

Vanilla: Decent, nothing special. Has a very clean taste, and mixes to an extremely thin texture. Regardless, I wouldn't buy it again. Also should probably state that I am not a vanilla fan!

Strawberry: The best of the three. Has very sweet taste, but like most strawberry flavors, it does have somewhat of a artificial aftertaste.... If you are considering trying the GNC isolates, please only buy this one!

That's all I have for now, will post more as I try them! And if anyone has tried the Dymatize line of whey, please let me know what you thought! I heard their coffee flavor is off the chain.

MisledYouth
04-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Whoops! Just realized this should be in Nutrition and Supplements! Sorry mods!