PDA

View Full Version : Almond oil

Metalheadz
04-02-2009, 01:47 AM
I acquired a big bottle of almond oil from someone who originally got it for their skin. I'm just wondering if this is an acceptable substitute for evoo or mac nut oil on a keto diet.

Thanks!

RazorRipped
04-02-2009, 02:16 AM
Almond oil is BETTER than Mac oil or evoo.

Walnut oil is great, as is pecan oil,hazel nut oil ect. All these oils should be in your diet. They all convert differently to EPH/DHA. I know many guys on dave's diet depend on the 2 oils you spoke of above. IMO, that's not a smart thing to do. You need balance

Metalheadz
04-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Hmm... thats interesting as the almond oil was cheap at $10 for 32 oz. Glad to hear that I can use it. Can it be used for cooking or would it be better for salads and adding to cooked food?

Frosty
04-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Beware of cheap oils. What makes an oil bad is processing. Cheap = bad processing methods. A lot of these nut oils you have to be careful because they're delicate and contain high PUFA content, especially walnuts. Walnut oil is highly sensitive and goes bad quickly. Variety is good but I prefer to eat the nuts because you get more vitamins and minerals.

fits
04-03-2009, 10:31 AM
ay one kow if Walnut oil or Avacado oil are good for cooking? high smoke point?

Frosty
04-03-2009, 10:39 AM
NEVER use walnut oil for cooking. It's a highly polyunsaturated and unstable.

Avocado oil is okay since it's mostly MUFA, and actually has a decent smoke point higher than most.

Metalheadz
04-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Hmm... thats interesting as the almond oil was cheap at $10 for 32 oz. Glad to hear that I can use it. Can it be used for cooking or would it be better for salads and adding to cooked food?

it says on the bottle unrefined, mechanically processed, no bleaching, deodorizing, etc for what its worth

Frosty
04-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Whenever buying any oils, always look for processing methods. As a rule most grocery store oils other than extra virgin olive oil are crappy. Look for extra virgin, cold pressed, etc.

I would avoid highly unsaturated oils regardless as they just go bad way too quickly and they have no use for cooking. Look at flax oil...it is often rancid from the get go even though it's usually refrigerated, nitrogen flushed, amber bottle, and cold processed. Imagine what walnut oil is like when it's not any of those things! Rancid oils are bad for you. Walnuts are best left for fresh in-shell when in season.

Metalheadz
04-03-2009, 03:02 PM
good info, thank you!

RazorRipped
04-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Whenever buying any oils, always look for processing methods. As a rule most grocery store oils other than extra virgin olive oil are crappy. Look for extra virgin, cold pressed, etc.

I would avoid highly unsaturated oils regardless as they just go bad way too quickly and they have no use for cooking. Look at flax oil...it is often rancid from the get go even though it's usually refrigerated, nitrogen flushed, amber bottle, and cold processed. Imagine what walnut oil is like when it's not any of those things! Rancid oils are bad for you. Walnuts are best left for fresh in-shell when in season.

Nuts oils usually have shelf life of 4-6 months keep in a cool place, away from sunlight. Kept refrigerated much longer.
Given I have a strong culinary background, I'll disagree with you on your over analyzation and false statements about walnut oil.

Frosty
04-05-2009, 12:25 AM
Nuts oils usually have shelf life of 4-6 months keep in a cool place, away from sunlight. Kept refrigerated much longer.
Given I have a strong culinary background, I'll disagree with you on your over analyzation and false statements about walnut oil.

Flax oil has a "shelf life", too, but most of those even are rancid from the get go.

RazorRipped
04-05-2009, 01:21 AM
You are saying nut oils are rancid before they leave the shelf? I hope not....

I think it's obvious that a person would look at the expiry on nut oils before purchasing them. Secondly, nut oils have a smell if they are rancid.

I've purchased more nut oils over the years for my own person use,and that of restaurants I worked for as an executive chef years back, and NEVER ONCE have I received a bottle of rancid nut oil.

What I'm saying is you don't know what the hell you are babbling out.

Frosty
04-05-2009, 01:25 AM
You are saying nut oils are rancid before they leave the shelf? I hope not....

I think it's obvious that a person would look at the expiry on nut oils before purchasing them. Secondly, nut oils have a smell if they are rancid.

I've purchased more nut oils over the years for my own person use,and that of restaurants I worked for as an executive chef years back, and NEVER ONCE have I received a bottle of rancid nut oil.

What I'm saying is you don't know what the hell you are babbling out.

I know Poliquin talks about testing a bunch of flax oils and only 2 out of many weren't rancid from the get go. I've had more than one brand so I must have had a rancid one and I can't taste or smell it. It has nothing to do with expiration date. Highly unsaturated nut oils like walnuts I'm highly suspect of and wouldn't use unless there is strong evidence to support that it's okay. I have walnut trees behind my place and if you've had fresh ones you'd realize how bad all the walnuts are in stores. They go bad quickly and they're very high in PUFA which are very delicate oils.

RazorRipped
04-05-2009, 01:46 AM
I know Poliquin talks about testing a bunch of flax oils and only 2 out of many weren't rancid from the get go. I've had more than one brand so I must have had a rancid one and I can't taste or smell it. It has nothing to do with expiration date. Highly unsaturated nut oils like walnuts I'm highly suspect of and wouldn't use unless there is strong evidence to support that it's okay. I have walnut trees behind my place and if you've had fresh ones you'd realize how bad all the walnuts are in stores. They go bad quickly and they're very high in PUFA which are very delicate oils.

YOU are using FLAX oil as an example. I'M talking about Walnut oil,and other nuts oils as well.

So accordding to you, all oils should be banned from sale in supermarkets.
They are all rancid and making people sick ..ROFLMFAO

Fresh walnuts in stores are unsafe? Then why haven't they been pulled from sale? LOL @ your statement

You can't smell or taste if an oil is rancid? Then how did you know? LMFAO. My god you make me laugh...

Do you actually read what you type? Honestly, I can't respond back to a person a dense minded as you are. You amaze me with your idiotic assumptions you know nothing about, but act like a authority on the topic.

You have to be the biggest over analyzer on the internet looking for that Holy Grail supplement to bring you to the next level.

Years from now after spending thousands on useless shit, you'll look back and see what an idiot you were.:)

Frosty
04-05-2009, 01:52 AM
Fine by me. Until I see evidence to the contrary, I will not trust highly unsaturated oils like those from walnuts in the store. Other nuts are different because their fat profile is different, like mac oil is very stable.

But since you're such an expert then you obviously knew that walnut oil is MUCH higher in PUFAs than flax oil. Flax oil is highly unstable and it's 66% polyunsaturated. Walnut oil is 72% PUFA. Did that walnut oil in the store come nitrogen flushed, amber bottled, and refrigerated? No! And when most flax oils are rancid from the get go WITH these conditions, it's obvious why I wouldn't trust a more unsaturated oil that doesn't even have these things to help it.

Let's agree to disagree. You can use your reasoning that you buy lots of oils and cook, and I'll use my reasoning.

RazorRipped
04-05-2009, 04:13 AM
Explain to everyone how the whole world manages to use nut oils every day without any medical issues?

You understand rancid is more about taste than adverse health, right?

Everyday around this country chefs use almond oil, walnut oil ect in dressings. How come these restaurants aren't on CNN daily being blamed for poisoning customers with rancid nut oils?

Wouldn't the FDA ban oils like walnut, almond ect if they were distributed in a rancid condition? Are you that much of an idiot to think our government would allow suspicious oil to be sold if they deemed detrimental to ones health?

When was the last government recall on Walnut oil?

Why are there so many studies done with people in regards to walnut oil consumption and higher HDL? Surely if Walnut oil is as unsafe as you claim scientists certainly wouldn't use it to study individuals, would they?

Here's one of MANY..http://books.google.com/books?id=-DasysmU7V0C&pg=PA164&lpg=PA164&dq=recall+on+walnut+oil&source=bl&ots=fM6W_F1Qel&sig=leWaSV7D0Q4ooT6D9-hQnql7Ygc&hl=en&ei=JGfYSdCGBp-0yQXkrLTtDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4

As usual, your over analyzation had made you look like an ass, once again.

Frosty
04-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Explain to everyone how the whole world manages to use nut oils every day without any medical issues?

You understand rancid is more about taste than adverse health, right?

Everyday around this country chefs use almond oil, walnut oil ect in dressings. How come these restaurants aren't on CNN daily being blamed for poisoning customers with rancid nut oils?

Wouldn't the FDA ban oils like walnut, almond ect if they were distributed in a rancid condition? Are you that much of an idiot to think our government would allow suspicious oil to be sold if they deemed detrimental to ones health?

When was the last government recall on Walnut oil?

Why are there so many studies done with people in regards to walnut oil consumption and higher HDL? Surely if Walnut oil is as unsafe as you claim scientists certainly wouldn't use it to study individuals, would they?

Here's one of MANY..http://books.google.com/books?id=-DasysmU7V0C&pg=PA164&lpg=PA164&dq=recall+on+walnut+oil&source=bl&ots=fM6W_F1Qel&sig=leWaSV7D0Q4ooT6D9-hQnql7Ygc&hl=en&ei=JGfYSdCGBp-0yQXkrLTtDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4

As usual, your over analyzation had made you look like an ass, once again.

Flax oil shows benefits, too. I guess even though the oil isn't in the best shape it can still have some benefits over the calories that are being replaced.

You trust the government to watch over your health? They let nasty rancid oils on the shelves all the time....soy, corn, rapeseed, safflower... No wait...the FDA wouldn't allow these oils on the shelf if they weren't healthy for us!!

RazorRipped
04-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Flax oil shows benefits, too. I guess even though the oil isn't in the best shape it can still have some benefits over the calories that are being replaced.

You trust the government to watch over your health? They let nasty rancid oils on the shelves all the time....soy, corn, rapeseed, safflower... No wait...the FDA wouldn't allow these oils on the shelf if they weren't healthy for us!!

LOL. You can't even answer any of the questions I posed to you.

Do you even know what causes an oil to go rancid?

You actually think, in your mind, the FDA would allow oils to be sold if they went rancid before even being bought?

You're a buffoon!

Frosty
04-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Oxygen and heat are big offenders. But hey, go ahead and believe all the store corn, soy, safflower, and rapeseed oil out there isn't bad.

Somehow these high PUFA oils are fine and have very long shelf lives in clear plastic containers that contain oxygen, not to mention the poor processing methods.

Put your trust in the FDA if you want. They're only looking out for our health :rolleyes:

RazorRipped
04-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Oxygen and heat are big offenders. But hey, go ahead and believe all the store corn, soy, safflower, and rapeseed oil out there isn't bad.

Somehow these high PUFA oils are fine and have very long shelf lives in clear plastic containers that contain oxygen, not to mention the poor processing methods.

Put your trust in the FDA if you want. They're only looking out for our health :rolleyes:

LOL. Corn oil, safflower oils are processed you baffoon! ie: preservatives added. Once again, you've proven you know nothing.

You've avoided every question I posed to you. Why? No need to answer, we all know why.:)

Frosty
04-05-2009, 11:43 PM
LOL. Corn oil, safflower oils are processed you baffoon! ie: preservatives added. Once again, you've proven you know nothing.

You've avoided every question I posed to you. Why? No need to answer, we all know why.:)

I suggest you do some research on how these oils are processed. Here is a quick example of soy oil processing:

"Production of edible soybean oil from raw soybean oil extracted from soybeans by first moistening soybean flakes to raise their water content to 12 to 25% by weight and subjecting the moistened flakes to heat treatment at 90° to 120° C. and thereafter extracting crude soybean oil from the treated flakes with a non-polar solvent; subjecting the crude soybean oil, after removal of lecithin therefrom, to bleaching without a separate desliming step; and thereafter deodorizing with simultaneous deacidizing the bleached soybean oil."

Sounds healthy. Of course the FDA wouldn't allow unhealthy oils on our shelves. Wait a minute. The FDA allows hydrogenated fats on the shelves. We know those are bad for us. But I thought you said the FDA wouldn't allow fats on the shelves that are bad for us?

(I'm not saying the walnut oil is processed this way. I'm countering your point that the FDA wouldn't allow rancid walnut oil on the shelves since it's unhealthy. This is clearly not a valid argument.)

Are you that much of an idiot to think our government would allow suspicious oil to be sold if they deemed detrimental to ones health?

Frosty
04-05-2009, 11:49 PM
LOL. Corn oil, safflower oils are processed you baffoon! ie: preservatives added.

So wait...what then protects the walnut oil from oxidation if there are no preservatives in it? I don't see them refrigerated or nitrogen flushed on store shelves.

Lee Penman
04-06-2009, 12:10 AM
I acquired a big bottle of almond oil from someone who originally got it for their skin. I'm just wondering if this is an acceptable substitute for evoo or mac nut oil on a keto diet.

Thanks!
Mac Nut Oil is the best. Seriously, the research is in and Mac Nut Oil is about to reach new heights of validation. Sign up for the Species Nutrition newsletter for more news on Mac Oil at www.speciesnutrition.com (http://www.speciesnutrition.com)

freak
04-06-2009, 12:37 AM
YOU are using FLAX oil as an example. I'M talking about Walnut oil,and other nuts oils as well.

So accordding to you, all oils should be banned from sale in supermarkets.
They are all rancid and making people sick ..ROFLMFAO

Fresh walnuts in stores are unsafe? Then why haven't they been pulled from sale? LOL @ your statement

You can't smell or taste if an oil is rancid? Then how did you know? LMFAO. My god you make me laugh...

Do you actually read what you type? Honestly, I can't respond back to a person a dense minded as you are. You amaze me with your idiotic assumptions you know nothing about, but act like a authority on the topic.

You have to be the biggest over analyzer on the internet looking for that Holy Grail supplement to bring you to the next level.

Years from now after spending thousands on useless shit, you'll look back and see what an idiot you were.:)
LOL!!!! razor its good to see you in a place where you dont have to give a shit.

SilverBAK
04-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Almond oil is BETTER than Mac oil or evoo.

Walnut oil is great, as is pecan oil,hazel nut oil ect. All these oils should be in your diet. They all convert differently to EPH/DHA. I know many guys on dave's diet depend on the 2 oils you spoke of above. IMO, that's not a smart thing to do. You need balance

what is it about Almond oil that you feel is better? the omega fatty acid ratio?