PDA

View Full Version : Substitutes For Pulling Harness?!

matei
07-27-2011, 09:13 AM
My girlfriend's father recently bought a 3.5 tons truck and I would like play a little with it and pull it from time to time.
The problem is that I do not have a harness and for the moment, wouldn't want to pay about $250 for one.

So, what can I use? Is there any I can build one on my own?

Ryan Bracewell
07-27-2011, 11:31 AM
your best make shift harness will be to use your leather weight lifting belt, but its going to be very uncomfortable.

Bryan Hildebrand
07-27-2011, 01:07 PM
go to REI or another outdoor store and look a their closeout rock climbing harnesses. that what I did before Ironmind and others started carrying them.

robert da strongman
07-27-2011, 01:36 PM
go to REI or another outdoor store and look a their closeout rock climbing harnesses. that what I did before Ironmind and others started carrying them.

or a safety harness

joe d
07-27-2011, 01:40 PM
heavy rope or straps will work fine to make any kind of harness. i do it all the time. just study up quick on the basics of rope harnesses and you can whip up your own easily. you just have to learn where to put the loops and twists to put the weight where you want it.

matei
07-27-2011, 06:38 PM
I've just checked on google for an image of the rock climbing harness. Though, ist it really efficient if they have the "wraps" on the legs too? I imagine that it would be a lot of side pressure on the legs, and I wouldn't want that to happen...

smj091977
07-27-2011, 07:35 PM
APT has a close out sale on them. I have an apt one. Its been good for small trucks and sleds. Large is the only one on sale and thats usually for 300lbs I think. My medium has "worked" for 140 lb guys. I read on Marunde that apt was having some problems at the beginning of the year but nothing recently. Maybe call first. The price can't be beat, $70.00
http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/144855

smj091977
07-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Amazon.com: Used and New: APT Ultimate Pro Wrist Strap
The Amazon feedback. Mostly positive but there was afew bad experiences. I would have given them a 5/5 in dec 09 when I got mine.

GameOfInches
07-31-2011, 03:44 PM
I have the APT harness and it is pretty good. But before I had that, I ran a tow strap under my leather weight belt. It was very uncomfortable. It is do able, but I don't think it is the best way to do.