PDA

View Full Version : Road to 2012 Masters Nationals

Hammerfit
07-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Ok, time to start prepping for 2012 Nationals. The best thing I heard Lance Johnson say in his winning the 2011 was that he had a 51 week prep. That's what it will take to win a pro card. 365 days a year. Do you want bad enough?
You have to train harder, diet stricter, cardio more effectively, rest better and be more mentally tough than the other guys. Do you have what it takes?

We have some bad ass competitors on this forum that are nipping at the heels of that coveted pro card. Let's get it going TODAY! I know I am. Having the pro card isn't my most important goal although I would love to have it, but I do care about being able to say I was the best on any given day. That's what it's all about, being the best you can possible be, not what some panel of judges think at that given moment.

First thing I heard this morning was damn you look like you're ready to get back on stage this Saturday, that's what I want to hear. To be in the best condition come stage time, you got to walk around ready, not just talk the talk.

Who's in for 2012?

masterschamp
07-28-2011, 09:20 AM
ALL IN!

Keith

KevinCouch
07-28-2011, 09:25 AM
Ok, time to start prepping for 2012 Nationals. The best thing I heard Lance Johnson say in his winning the 2011 was that he had a 51 week prep. That's what it will take to win a pro card. 365 days a year. Do you want bad enough?
You have to train harder, diet stricter, cardio more effectively, rest better and be more mentally tough than the other guys. Do you have what it takes?

We have some bad ass competitors on this forum that are nipping at the heels of that coveted pro card. Let's get it going TODAY! I know I am. Having the pro card isn't my most important goal although I would love to have it, but I do care about being able to say I was the best on any given day. That's what it's all about, being the best you can possible be, not what some panel of judges think at that given moment.

First thing I heard this morning was damn you look like you're ready to get back on stage this Saturday, that's what I want to hear. To be in the best condition come stage time, you got to walk around ready, not just talk the talk.

Who's in for 2012?

Depends on how the Nationals go this November. Not in terms of if I get my procard, (because that is very unlikely but not impossible) but if my body holds up thru this prep and how I ended up looking on stage. Also I need to take a step back and re-evaluate my goals and priorities after the Nationals and me and my family will decide that then.

George said in an interview at this year's Masters... "If you want to be the best bodybuilder you can be, then you have to live like a bodybuilder 24/7 365 days a week." GF

Hammerfit
07-28-2011, 09:59 AM
Depends on how the Nationals go this November. Not in terms of if I get my procard, (because that is very unlikely but not impossible) but if my body holds up thru this prep and how I ended up looking on stage. Also I need to take a step back and re-evaluate my goals and priorities after the Nationals and me and my family will decide that then.

George said in an interview at this year's Masters... "If you want to be the best bodybuilder you can be, then you have to live like a bodybuilder 24/7 365 days a week." GF

For those of us that want it, know what it means to do what it takes to achieve it, that needs to be our motto........."If you want to be the best bodybuilder you can be, then you have to live like a bodybuilder 24/7 365 days a week." GF

Hammerfit
07-28-2011, 10:02 AM
ALL IN!

Keith

We def have to get together sometime this coming year before then..there are some late fall shows in FL, maybe we can meet up then. I plan on competing as much as possible just to stay sharp. I heard someone say yesterday, "I compete so that I will keep my training on point, I train to compete."

HeavyDutyGuy
07-28-2011, 12:26 PM
We def have to get together sometime this coming year before then..there are some late fall shows in FL, maybe we can meet up then. I plan on competing as much as possible just to stay sharp. I heard someone say yesterday, "I compete so that I will keep my training on point, I train to compete."

I would flip the last sentence to say that I compete to train, to take my training to a higher level. To be the best darn bodybuilder I can be.

Rick Prince
07-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Who's in for 2012?

I'm in.

JoeB8962
07-28-2011, 03:19 PM

Who's in for 2012?

I'm in..Pittsburgh 2012!

BryanB
07-28-2011, 04:02 PM
I'm gonna need a little longer prep. I'm thinking 2020

Hammerfit
07-28-2011, 04:42 PM
Here it is...........burn it into your memory bank, the next time you dont want to do another rep, you dont feel like eating all of your meals

GerryT
07-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Great seeing this thread. Hope to be there again, and see you guys on and off stage.

Thrilled for Lance, saw him place in his first Masters Nats in 2001 at 40. Never gave up. After not placing in 2009 over 40, he decided not to come back last year but try as an over 50 this year. So it was actually a 103 week prep!!

The dedication and commitment to this is amazing, and I have only the utmost respect for anyone who makes it to the stage. That is an achievement and victory in itself.

Wish everyone here the best, and will be great to see you all progress to this show.

KyMuscle
07-30-2011, 04:59 PM
Yes.....if training continues to go well. 50+ division..... Welterweights, most likely.

JoeB8962
07-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Yes.....if training continues to go well. 50+ division..... Welterweights, most likely.

Steve that's pretty cool having two of us in the same age and weight class!

KyMuscle
07-30-2011, 11:32 PM
I agree, Joe. I know I'd better bring my "A" game if I expect to compare favorably with you....but It'll definitely be fun!

JoeB8962
08-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Has the dates for the 2012 Masters Nationals been posted yet and if so when will it be held?

GerryT
08-18-2011, 01:57 PM
At the last show, Gary announced that it will be held the same weekend, July 20 and July 21 in Pittsburgh. Host hotel, Sheraton Station Square, with early weigh in/check in on July 19.

KevinCouch
08-18-2011, 09:18 PM
I'm taking it one day at a time here but it looks like I'll end up back in Pittsburgh in 2012. Just training hard and eating a lot of clean food and with everything else going in in my life that's all I can commit to at this point.

JoeB8962
08-19-2011, 11:31 AM
At the last show, Gary announced that it will be held the same weekend, July 20 and July 21 in Pittsburgh. Host hotel, Sheraton Station Square, with early weigh in/check in on July 19.

Thank you

Hammerfit
08-19-2011, 11:49 AM

Thanx for keeping us updated Gerry

GerryT
08-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Already looking forward to seeing everyone on and off stage. Always fun.

Kevin, your only commitment right now is to your family. The rest is peripheral. A day at a time.

Baldiewonkanobi
09-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Over 70 Pro Card official. Thanx to all who joined me on the E mail blitz.

I will post again sometime next year. 2 years in a row I crashed and lost 15 pounds of muscle last 10 days. Now under eye of Troy Alves. Guarantee a jaw dropping surprise or I no show.

Baldie under major re construction.

Hammerfit
09-11-2011, 09:23 AM
Over 70 Pro Card official. Thanx to all who joined me on the E mail blitz.

I will post again sometime next year. 2 years in a row I crashed and lost 15 pounds of muscle last 10 days. Now under eye of Troy Alves. Guarantee a jaw dropping surprise or I no show.

Baldie under major re construction.

Glad to see you back Bill.

Mac
09-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Glad to see you back Bill.

It's about time Bill you came back to this Masters forum. Glad to see you're still amongst us codgers.

GerryT
09-12-2011, 01:53 PM
Always super seeing you post, Bill. With Troy's guidance, you should be a 72 year old pro next year.

And everyone, keep in mind that next year North Americans will also be in Pittsburgh Aug 31/Sep 1. So anyone who needs longer prep time or wants to do both, there is a 40 and 50 division at North Americans. Far as I know, will be at same hotel as Teen/Coll/Masters.

hifrommike65
09-14-2011, 02:02 AM
Let's hear it for the old geezers who can hold their own against the youngsters! (I mean the 70s guys who beat the 40s guys.) :p

Baldiewonkanobi
11-14-2011, 08:57 AM
SELF PROMOTION I was talking to an excited new Masters Over 35 contestant about self promotion. He feels that each age division has its NPC 'Darlings'. I call it a comfortable familiarity. Judges (I was one for years) do remember certain contestants and are comfortable with them. Judges do read the web sites. Training videos could be the way to get your name out there. Competing in and winning Regional shows is another. One show the Southern States held one week before the Masters Nationals is a prime example. Interviews with Dave, Lonnie Tepper and the like help. Troy said he would help me....perhaps a joint training video. "Troy Alves trains legs with Over 70 contestant Bill Mortimer". Post that sucker on RX, GB, IronMan, BB.com and MD. Baldie

HeavyDutyGuy
11-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Teaming up with Victor Richards probably WON'T help me. So be it, the truth is more important than a trophy. If I am not a shredded 245+ I dont even want to go onstage anyway, so there's my karma out there for better or worse.

Alwaysabodybuilder
11-26-2011, 08:45 AM
Over 40, I'm there!

Hammerfit
12-15-2011, 10:07 AM
If you are planning on competing on the national stage you should be contemplating your cardio session this morning and eating your protein and clean carbs.

Watching the "Legends" pose at the World Masters reminds me that you can not just say you are going to compete, start a 16 week diet and bam! Some of those guys had no business getting on stage!

To be a national level competitor in the NPC these days it takes dedication all year round. We got guys right here on this forum that would push some of the pros! But the ones like that take this sport very serious and never let themselves get out of shape only to try and diet down for contest condition.

The main thing I have learned about being a 50 yr old competitor: The skin tells the story. Don't expect to go from 240 to 198 in 16 weeks and not have loose skin. It takes time to get hard and conditioned and there is nothing magical about it.

Bottom line: July is right around the corner...the winners will be saying "no thanks" to sugar and alcohol over the holidays.

Baldiewonkanobi
12-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Bottom line: July is right around the corner...the winners will be saying "no thanks" to sugar and alcohol over the holidays.

Alcohol always a NO but sugar? What no hot apple pie a la mode?

I am once again trying to recover from an unplanned illness weight/muscle loss 3rd since the last Nationals. We shall see if I can get to 220 by March. If not I will pass. Its win or no show for me this time out.

Baldie

Gymdawg
12-25-2011, 09:46 AM
I think I may need another year before jumping in with the big Boys!

Baldiewonkanobi
12-29-2011, 03:41 PM
I think I may need another year before jumping in with the big Boys!

The quality in this show is mind boggling in the 40 and 50s. Ehhh OK in the 60s and missing in the 70s except for Peter Finch (winner 2010) this year who was overlooked. Peter is not yet committed to try again....I sure will and present something not yet seen in this age group. The Over 35s will be shock and awe in this inaugural year.

Baldie

hifrommike65
12-30-2011, 01:19 PM
I have been speculating when the host hotel (Sheridan Station Square) is going to sell out of the reserved block of rooms for this show this year. It has gone from June to April. I'm betting a friend this year it's February. If you want into that hotel, DO NOT WAIT to get a reservation.

masterschamp
01-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Everything starts in earnest for me tomorrow................33 weeks till Florida State Master's Championships and possibly the NA.Plenty of time, but no time to waste either! No Masters's Nats this year.......can only afford 1 trip to the Burgh if I do the NA. Was considering the Southern States in July, but I have won the Over 50 in that before and I am committed to the Fl States, as we are turning that into an Orlando vacation after the show. Timing is perfect for me as I am off for the 10 weeks preceeding that show.

Keith

hifrommike65
01-11-2012, 08:05 AM
Here's the latest on the Masters pro card qualifications available this year (not including Team U), taken from Gary Udit's website:

Masters Nationals

IFBB PRO QUALIFIER - Pro cards are awarded
OVERALL WINNERS - These Overall winners are eligible for an IFBB pro card: Men BB Over 50, Men BB Over 60, Men BB Over 70, Women BB Over 35, Women BB Over 45, Women BB Over 55, Figure Over 55.
TOP 2 PLACERS - The top 2 placers in the Overalls of the following Divisions are eligible for an IFBB pro card: Men BB Over 35, Men BB Over 40.
TOP 3 PLACERS - The top 3 placers in the Overall of Figure Over 45.
CLASS WINNERS - The Class winners of the following Divisions are eligible for an IFBB pro card: Figure Over 35, Bikini Over 35, Men Physique Over 35, Men Physique Over 40, Women Physique Over 35 and Women Physique Over 45.

North American:

IFBB PRO QUALIFIER
IFBB Pro cards are awarded to the following placings:

The Class winners in Open Figure, Open Bikini, Open Men and Over 35 Men Physique, Open Women's and Over 35 Women Physique
The top 3 placers in the Overall of Open Men BB and Over 35 Figure
The top 2 placers in the Overall of Over 35 Bikini
The Overall winners of the Over 35 Men BB, Over 40 Men BB, Over 50 Men BB, Open Women BB and Over 35 Women BB, Open Fitness.

command240
03-27-2012, 12:31 PM

Who's in for 2012?

Sitting on the fence as to the Masters Nationals...full speed toward the Southern States 2012117506

command240
03-27-2012, 12:44 PM
test

Baldiewonkanobi
03-27-2012, 04:50 PM
I'm all but a no show for Pitt. Just quickly dropped 10 pounds to get my mass v dimisished lung capacity more in line. However new meds are amazing. Will do the Over 60 Mr. Muscle Beach July 4th. I am looking at it as my Goodbye show. If by some freaking miracle I look like a sure fire winner I will have to June 26th to jump back in. I will not compete unless I can WIN. I already have a 2nd place (first loser) trophy from Pitt.

Baldie

HeavyDutyGuy
04-02-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm all but a no show for Pitt. Just quickly dropped 10 pounds to get my mass v dimisished lung capacity more in line. However new meds are amazing. Will do the Over 60 Mr. Muscle Beach July 4th. I am looking at it as my Goodbye show. If by some freaking miracle I look like a sure fire winner I will have to June 26th to jump back in. I will not compete unless I can WIN. I already have a 2nd place (first loser) trophy from Pitt.

BaldieMakes sense. Dammit I wanted to see you win the Big One before you rode your Harley into the sunset.