PDA

View Full Version : who actually fights here?

mts
04-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Jujitsu, MMA, or just trains in it?

Plates
04-03-2009, 12:26 AM
Im training in Jits in boxing @ the moment. The older ive got, the less mobility I have. So I thought it would be a great idea to go back and roll again. I have previous experience in Jits. I rolled for about 2 years prior to coming back in 08.

The boxing is new to me. Ive always been able to fight, just not with the precision that boxing delivers. The first thing I noticed is beating someones ass outside of a bar is a lot different than sparring with gloves on!!! :) Im mainly using the boxing as a cardio tool, but the more I do it, the more I realize how much power I can generate with proper technique and guidance.

47ronin
04-03-2009, 02:21 AM
I trained for a number of years in kickboxing and a little submission wrestling but it's been a few years since I've spared or rolled. I actually really miss it. I think a lot of people don't realize how physically demanding wrestling can be- it's a great workout.

Bryan Hildebrand
04-03-2009, 07:24 AM
i'm currently a red stripe palgwe in tae kwon do. I have been training with my family for just over a year. I have competitively sparred twice ad it was a humbling experience. I am too big and slow to be competitive, so when I become a single or doubleblack stripe, I plan to pursue power board nreaking as my main discipline.

SpeciesMMA
04-03-2009, 09:20 AM
I train doing Jiu Jitsu with Kumo Jiu Jitsu in Ontario, Canada, and some with Eris Martial Arts (10th Planet Affiliate) in Ontario, Canada, three nights a week, and sometimes on my lunch break at work. I do compete in Jiu Jitsu Competitions.

We roll, spar every class at both clubs

I also train doing some MMA at both of these clubs as well, whether or not I get a fight, who knows, but if one was offered, i'd take it. The problem with Ontario is that MMA is not sanctioned here yet and I'd have to leave the province to fight or go to an Indian Reservation.

I have trained and fought doing amateur boxing.

Cheers

mts
04-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Cool i'm glad to see some people on here doing some sparring and/or rolling. I've been doing no gi Jujitsu for a little while now and some MMA style stuff recently, the guy i'm learning off of wants me to do MMA saying that my ground and pound is brutal. But my stand up sucks big time, They just legalized MMA schools here and i was thinking of giving it a try.

cheers

SpeciesMMA
04-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Cool i'm glad to see some people on here doing some sparring and/or rolling. I've been doing no gi Jujitsu for a little while now and some MMA style stuff recently, the guy i'm learning off of wants me to do MMA saying that my ground and pound is brutal. But my stand up sucks big time, They just legalized MMA schools here and i was thinking of giving it a try.

cheers

Anyone up here can have a MMA club, you just can't officially compete within Ontario, in either Amateur or Pro...training is no issue. They don't "outlaw" the training, they just don't sanction the sport.

Be forewarned before you start doing some serious MMA training, it is brutal and probably adviseable to train your hands some more and some wrestling, Jiu Jitsu is great, but it won't carry you by itself. Ground & Pound is great as well, but you gotta get the guy there first, some wrestling and or judo is awesome for that.

Cheers

Charles Kozeluh
04-03-2009, 12:57 PM
I fight I was a amature boxer for a long time and have a couple mma fights

Legend
04-08-2009, 12:30 PM
I had 4 fights (boxing), and 3 fights (MMA).

I also wrestled for 10 years....just thought I'd throw that in too. :D

Deltasaurus
04-08-2009, 12:35 PM
I train jiu-jitsu 4-5days a week under Cassio Werneck and love the stuff we roll every class for at least a half-hour

thaistyle
04-12-2009, 10:11 AM
I competed in muay thai when I was in the military. I've trained in muay thai for 15 years and submission wrestling for about 4 years. I actually got certified as a muay thai instructor a little over 2 years ago. I don't compete anymore, I teach and train to help stay in shape.

tonyb82
04-19-2009, 10:25 PM
i've had a little mma training here and there. nothing too serious. some boxing mixed with some muay thai and gracie jiu jitsu

Sledge
04-19-2009, 10:35 PM
I used to back in the dark ages before MMA. AKA and WKA. 37 amateur bouts 6 pro. Did pretty good as an Am not so good as a pro. Also boxed in the army and 3 years on the army team.

MRT
04-19-2009, 10:38 PM
11- 3 boxing , as a young teen

Johnny Phenomenon
04-19-2009, 10:43 PM
I wrestled in high school, and trained in JJ for 4 years.

BigFitz
07-30-2009, 10:55 AM
I've been trainning Jiu Jitsu and muay thai for a few months now and its fucking sick. No pro fights yet but Undefeated in street fights haha.

-Z-
07-30-2009, 12:47 PM
I personally don't fight. I do prep fighters though. Diet and conditioning work.

Sistersteel
07-30-2009, 01:08 PM
BJJ here

Shawn Bellon
07-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Not but I know this one guy....

YouTube - Napoleon Dynamite Cage Fighter

-Z-
07-30-2009, 01:13 PM
I just preped Allan Weickert for a title fight. He submitted Shawn Salmon(former UFC fighter) for the middleweight belt, NAASF.

Mike the Ripper
07-30-2009, 03:31 PM
I just preped Allan Weickert for a title fight. He submitted Shawn Salmon(former UFC fighter) for the middleweight belt, NAASF.

Nice.

I worked with Joe "Daddy" Stevenson leading up to his main event match at UFC 95 with Diego Sanchez. I advised him on supplementation mostly, nothing big. Joe has a very good grasp on nutrition and supplementation anyway.

-Z-
07-30-2009, 05:13 PM
Nice.

I worked with Joe "Daddy" Stevenson leading up to his main event match at UFC 95 with Diego Sanchez. I advised him on supplementation mostly, nothing big. Joe has a very good grasp on nutrition and supplementation anyway.

Very cool, I have realized that I seem to be slipping away from bb prep work and more towards MMA prep work. I guess that is probably because it's so popular, so more opportunity.

Lucas
07-30-2009, 06:28 PM
i'm currently a red stripe palgwe in tae kwon do. I have been training with my family for just over a year. I have competitively sparred twice ad it was a humbling experience. I am too big and slow to be competitive, so when I become a single or doubleblack stripe, I plan to pursue power board nreaking as my main discipline.

Currently a blue belt in TKD, competitively sparred (including 2 full contacts) 13 times. Im tall and quick so it suits me lol. Not postive on my main discipline just happy to be competiting and progressing.

-Z-
07-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Some picks from the fight. Allan is in the gold and purple.

-Z-
07-30-2009, 06:57 PM
I had 9 weeks to get him ready. He was 240lbs, and weighed in at 185 the morning of the fight.

Boxerguy000
07-30-2009, 10:40 PM
I am a recreational boxer, box in bar competitions, dorm fights, backyard and basement bouts. Not the greatest but can handle my own, never been knocked out in a fight yet.
Caucasian male, 53, 6', 175lbs, Mi,WI.

irishpride
07-30-2009, 11:10 PM
i do..fought as a heavy weight around 240 for about 8 fights the rest at light heavy, so far have a record (pro) of 14-2-1..11 wins by tko or ko, 1 sub via arm bar, and 2 went to the judges..never been knocked out or tko's, one loss lost via judges and the other i couldnt finish the fight, i broke my arm and tore tendons in my wrist..havnt fought in a bit since i had a bad run of luck health wise..my coaches have been trying to talk me into going down to 185# but i am not sure..i have a muhythaibacckground, boxed for years (amature) strong wrestling skills, need to bring up my bjj though so i may be heading to brazil soon for a few months to train with some great trainers and maybe even do a valeo tudo tourney..love fighting..

dublin-lifter
07-31-2009, 10:24 AM
i do..fought as a heavy weight around 240 for about 8 fights the rest at light heavy, so far have a record (pro) of 14-2-1..11 wins by tko or ko, 1 sub via arm bar, and 2 went to the judges..never been knocked out or tko's, one loss lost via judges and the other i couldnt finish the fight, i broke my arm and tore tendons in my wrist..havnt fought in a bit since i had a bad run of luck health wise..my coaches have been trying to talk me into going down to 185# but i am not sure..i have a muhythaibacckground, boxed for years (amature) strong wrestling skills, need to bring up my bjj though so i may be heading to brazil soon for a few months to train with some great trainers and maybe even do a valeo tudo tourney..love fighting..

cool best of luck

chitownmscle
07-31-2009, 05:55 PM
I've mostly just trained in various forms. Haven't actually fought pro or amateur, just whatever we do at the gym. I already have a wrestling background, some Gracie Jiu-jitsu, Muay Thai, some boxing. I've tried to learn just a variety of different martial arts to blend into a unique style all my own

Gaoshang Xiongshou
07-31-2009, 06:00 PM
The closest I get is training an amateur fighter for the local circuit.

ebfitness
08-03-2009, 02:31 PM
I have an extensive background in, " Sloppy Drunken Brawls." To sign up for tryouts, go to any REAL Irish pub in a shitty neighborhood.

TheNighthawk
08-04-2009, 11:08 PM
I did a few submission bouts (5-1), was the faculty sponsor for the grappling club at Florida State, and I still keep my MMA trainer license up-to-date with the state athletic commission as I did take on some private students.

Lucas
08-05-2009, 12:28 AM
I have an extensive background in, " Sloppy Drunken Brawls." To sign up for tryouts, go to any REAL Irish pub in a shitty neighborhood.

Try "Sloppy Irish Family Brawls" ahah

TigerUpperCut
08-05-2009, 01:33 AM
ive been training muay thai for 9 months and have had 2 smoker fights 12oz gloves shinguards/headgear and won both fights by ko

Big Dave Smith
08-05-2009, 04:26 AM
Training in MMA and BJJ. I like BJJ a lot better though. On and off for 2 years under James Clingerman and Integrated Arts. Integrated is home to Chris Lytle, Jake O'Brien, Dan Christisen, and Johnny Rees. Another UFC name you'll recognize soon is Matt Mitrione. He's on the new TUF. Matt, Jake, and I grappled a bunch before I stopped going (couldn't afford it for the last 3 months).

I would like to earn my blue belt by the end of 2010. James doesn't give out belts easy. We have no brown belts and only a few purple. I think one of our guys won his class at the Arnold NAGA, wins damn near every open tourney he gets in to, and is just about to get his purple.

MMA/BJJ is the only sport I invest my time in beyond bodybuilding.

Rattbones
08-05-2009, 04:46 AM
Boxed for 15 years, as an armature most of the time. Last few years when I was in collage I had 9 pro fights (6-3). Last fight I had a broken nose, cracked cheek bone and 2 cracked ribs. Most of my fights were at the Aragon Ballroom, but 2 were at Club Atlantis. The club fights I would get a % of the boot if I won, and a flat $100 if I lost. When I lost my last fight I got my $100, but I had no insurance, it was not sanctioned fight so my WBA membership insurance would not cover my injury's. BB is allot like boxing, most are just out to make money off you.

-Z-
08-05-2009, 08:50 AM

Some picks from the fight. Allan is in the gold and purple.

Joel Silva called Allan yesterday and told him they would like to see him in the UFC. He told him he needs 2 successful title defenses and they will offer him a 1 fight deal. I am pumped!

ebfitness
08-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Try "Sloppy Irish Family Brawls" ahah
Those too!

hulkish808
08-05-2009, 05:21 PM
my classmate does the TUFF n NUF thing is the Vegas area in the 135lb weight class I think...his record is 1-1 with one TKO

hulkish808
08-05-2009, 05:28 PM
oh, if anyone's in the Irvine, CA area, hit up my mom's cousin's place, his name is Colin Oyama..used to be Tito's wrestling coach when he was at the top of his game. Also trained Rampage back in the day.

http://teamoyamamma.com/index.html