PDA

View Full Version : Off-season eating: Do you eat the same thing every day?

Koubs
04-02-2009, 11:22 AM
I've always preferred to eat basically the same thing every day and just make adjustments accordingly if I'm not gaining weight... It's easy to follow, prepare, and I got good results... Besides, it's what most people do

But I read this article by Chris Aceto where he suggests a different strategy for off-season... Here is the article where he explains it a little more (it's pretty short, check it out):

http://www.nutramedia.com/nutrition.cgi

Basically you manipulate carbs over a period of time in order to maximize growth...

Here's the general outline if you don't feel like clicking the link: For 5 days you follow a 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein (2g carbs per pound of bodyweight)... for the next 2-3 days you double the protein and cut the carbs in half while adding some additional fats... Then you overeat for 2 days where the body is essentially in "super-compensation" and anabolic hormones are high... These days you eat about 3-4g of carbs per pound of bodyweight and 1.5g protein... He pretty much suggests lower fat intake except for the 2-3 days where carbs are lowest

So what do you guys do? Does anybody follow this kind of diet for off-season? Does anyone else have different strategies or suggestions for manipulating calories/carbs for building mass? Or do you just eat the same thing every day? For me it seems a little complicated, but if it can really be more productive I might try it out

BigPablo300
04-02-2009, 06:38 PM
I stick with eating the same thing everyday for 2 reasons right now. 1: It makes things a little trickier to use this method and I like to keep things simple. 2: At this present time my diet is easy to gauge and keep in budget. Otherwise I think there may be some bearing to this idea because I know alot of competitors who use this approach. If you try it let me know.

P.S. Did you get my PM Matt? I sent it a couple days ago but is not showing up on my PM sent items list. I seem to have had quite a few little issues with this new forum. I figure that they will straighten it out over time.

Koubs
04-02-2009, 07:49 PM
I got it Paul... Yeah, eating the same thing every day is what I like to stick to... I just don't do real well with high carbs so I thought something like this might work by keeping the carbs variable like that over the course of 10 days or whatever... If I feel like I'm getting stuck, I'm going to definitely give it a try... I'll post about it if/when I do

WILDMAN
04-04-2009, 08:21 AM
I usualy keep the carbs the same, just switch up the meats.I tweek the carbs, if mass gain slows down.This is best for consistent mass gain. That is almost like carb cycling what you are suggesting. The only problem, I have when I am in mass mode is, I eat 10 times a day and all those carbs take my ldl cholesterol through the roof.

Bubba Bronko
04-04-2009, 10:18 AM
I dont like to make things complicated I pretty much the same things everyday if I work a little overtime Ill treat my stuff to some fancy foods. I dont take in a huge amount of carbs because i like to be cut year round. I never really do a mass cycle.

militantmuscle
04-04-2009, 02:40 PM
The question is is it better to manipulate macronutrient ratios based on periodization principle, and the answer is yes. I think anyone will benefit from this type or similar style of dieting where you don't stay with the same macronutrient totals daily. Great article, and good way to do the offseason without slowing down.

BigPablo300
04-06-2009, 01:33 PM
The question is is it better to manipulate macronutrient ratios based on periodization principle, and the answer is yes. I think anyone will benefit from this type or similar style of dieting where you don't stay with the same macronutrient totals daily. Great article, and good way to do the offseason without slowing down.

I totally agree on this. However it can be hard for most people to follow this.

big.poppa.pump
04-06-2009, 02:52 PM
I eat whatever I want, I just make sure I get enough protein in each meal. But I eat pretty clean for the most part, but if a burger sounds good I am gonna have one.

Mongdog
04-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Usually eat the same thing every day

Koubs
04-06-2009, 05:39 PM

Yea, I have to agree, thanks.... what is EASIEST is not necessarily what is BEST... This would require more work because you would have to plan different days with different amounts of macros...

everybody wants to talk about "keeping the body guessing" and switching up the TRAINING program... But I think switching up the DIET is just as beneficial if not MORE.... It's great that we get in a consistant protein intake, that's important... But I'm trying to implement the optimal strategy...

philborg
04-06-2009, 08:57 PM
I eat the same thing every day, I hate thinking, I just pre-cook a bunch of stuff on sundays and then during the week I pop it out of the freezer and take it with me to school/work/wherever and don't have to worry about what I'm going to eat.

thesamewords
04-06-2009, 09:30 PM
At this point, my muscles are reacting very differently to carbs than they did a year ago. my muscles seem much fuller when gradually add carbs over a 2 or 3 day period. The muscles arent as defined when I have carbs, but they seem much bigger. I normally eat beans and rice for carbs. Yesterday I ate Pupusas and pizza at venice beach, because all those guys down ther were looking full, and I didnt want to be left out!

SilverBAK
04-07-2009, 03:46 PM
I am trying a method where instead of eating 400p 400c and 100f everyday, im eating that macro split on training days and on off days eating 400p, 200c and 150f. plus 1 cheat meal per week. we'll see how i respond. As Chris Aceto and many others would suggest when it comes to carbs and macro's, tricking the body up can help prevent stagnacy, it just becomes a matter of whether one needs to cycle carbs UP or DOWN dependign on how their body reacts i feel

militantmuscle
04-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Yea, I have to agree, thanks.... what is EASIEST is not necessarily what is BEST... This would require more work because you would have to plan different days with different amounts of macros...

everybody wants to talk about "keeping the body guessing" and switching up the TRAINING program... But I think switching up the DIET is just as beneficial if not MORE.... It's great that we get in a consistant protein intake, that's important... But I'm trying to implement the optimal strategy...

You're absolutely right, why just switch up the diet only in precontest??? With competitive bodybuilders, there should be no "offseason" just different objectives.