PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift and Rack pull same weight

symphonyofdreams
08-07-2011, 05:25 PM
I just started adding in rack pulls and what i've noticed is that my Rack pull(bottom of knee) and my Deadlift is about the same. I've never seen anyone where that's the case. does that mean my back is weak compared to quads? I guess i'll continue with the rack pulls and bring the back up

crashcrew56
08-07-2011, 06:09 PM
I feel like I'm always replying to your threads.

It could be either your low back or your hamstrings. Continuing to do rack pulls is a good idea, and romanian deadlifts are also a good exercise to help fix that that too.

symphonyofdreams
08-07-2011, 07:27 PM
I feel like I'm always replying to your threads.

It could be either your low back or your hamstrings. Continuing to do rack pulls is a good idea, and romanian deadlifts are also a good exercise to help fix that that too.

yeah thanks for your responses. My legs are really quad dominate so it definitely could be hams. also my low back seems to get absolutely toasted with rack pulls even when pulling the same weight i deadlift with.

crashcrew56
08-07-2011, 08:13 PM
It's all about frequency, if you have a reverse hyper and glute ham raise at your gym, then I suggest making those two into your new best friends. It's all about frequency to bring up those weak spots.

TXFatback
08-07-2011, 08:22 PM
I know this sounds like I'm just being contrary, but it could be your pulling with your back all the way. This would explain the same weight from the rack. If your legs straighten quickly, this makes the movement all back, like an RDL. Try dropping your butt and keeping your scapulae pulled together at the bottom of the lift. This will give more leg drive, and if it works the pull feels totally different, much easier.

symphonyofdreams
08-10-2011, 12:17 AM
It's crazy how patheic my rack pulls are. I've hit 405 for 17 before on deadlifts(no bounce), right now i can only do maybe 10 since i've had to take time off for a lower back issue. on rack pulls i can only hit that for 6(inch below bottom of knee) So the bar is 7 and a half inches higher then a standard deadlift and i'm doing less reps. Pretty crazy.

MadHatter67
08-13-2011, 07:31 PM
why not try setting the rack to the lowest position to do rack pulls to allow for more leg drive. that combined with taking a look at your form like TX had mentioned might be the fix your looking for.

symphonyofdreams
08-14-2011, 04:06 PM
why not try setting the rack to the lowest position to do rack pulls to allow for more leg drive. that combined with taking a look at your form like TX had mentioned might be the fix your looking for.

I work out at home using an old cheap squat rack/ bench and the lowest pen is pretty high so i made a plat form. it's already pretty damn low for a rack pull

MadHatter67
08-14-2011, 04:50 PM
if you say you have taken time off for a lower back issue, it could be that this is just where you are now. keep bangin' them out and im sure you will get back to where you were.

symphonyofdreams
08-14-2011, 10:33 PM
if you say you have taken time off for a lower back issue, it could be that this is just where you are now. keep bangin' them out and im sure you will get back to where you were.

yeah that's what i was thinking.

PJ BRAUN
08-15-2011, 02:03 AM
Its highly probable that you just havent gotten into a good "understanding" of the execution of a rack pull yet. Any time you start something new you arent gonna be 100% with execution of heavy weights. I would be willing to guess that over time your numbers start gowing up faster and then you will be rack pulling a decent amount more than you can pull off the floor as long as you are consistent.

Sandpig
08-15-2011, 07:09 AM
Also, when you see a lot of guys "Rack Pulling" tons of weight, it's because they set the pins higher than you are.

symphonyofdreams
08-16-2011, 12:52 AM
Its highly probable that you just havent gotten into a good "understanding" of the execution of a rack pull yet. Any time you start something new you arent gonna be 100% with execution of heavy weights. I would be willing to guess that over time your numbers start gowing up faster and then you will be rack pulling a decent amount more than you can pull off the floor as long as you are consistent.

Yeah that's true, i've only done it 4 times in my life so it is really new to me

symphonyofdreams
08-16-2011, 12:52 AM
Also, when you see a lot of guys "Rack Pulling" tons of weight, it's because they set the pins higher than you are.

good point

PJ BRAUN
08-16-2011, 01:24 AM
Yeah that's true, i've only done it 4 times in my life so it is really new to me
Its very easy to learn to isolate a muscle with lite weight when you concentrate hard. For Instance, take a concentraion curl: You can take a 20lb dumbell and perform a maximal amount of reps, fail and feel a good pump. SIMPLE. Any time you do a heavy compound movement there is so much muscle being fired at once, it takes alot of concentration, "feel" and PRACTICE to perfect the motion.
If I gave you a golf ball and club for the first time and said drive it down the fairway...chances are your gonna suck at first...over time through repition and practice you would get better and better. Practice makes perfect! :yep:

symphonyofdreams
08-16-2011, 02:24 AM
Its very easy to learn to isolate a muscle with lite weight when you concentrate hard. For Instance, take a concentraion curl: You can take a 20lb dumbell and perform a maximal amount of reps, fail and feel a good pump. SIMPLE. Any time you do a heavy compound movement there is so much muscle being fired at once, it takes alot of concentration, "feel" and PRACTICE to perfect the motion.
If I gave you a golf ball and club for the first time and said drive it down the fairway...chances are your gonna suck at first...over time through repition and practice you would get better and better. Practice makes perfect! :yep:

very true, if you were to guess which muscles are lacking what would it be? or is it i'm just not used to that starting point?