PDA

View Full Version : yo yo dieting

alainaravens
08-17-2011, 07:56 AM
There is a dirty little secret associated with fitness and bodybuilding competition that before now hasn’t been discussed — the virtually universal post-contest rebound effect. Familiar with the term “yo-yo” dieting? It’s not just your mother’s nightmare; even bodybuilding and fitness champions will gain weight after they stop the highly restrictive diets that are required to achieve the extremely low body fat levels they need to be competitive. It is a consequence that is almost never talked about, and therefore, rarely anticipated. Strict competition diets and training programs work, even for non-competitors. But the extreme results can’t — and shouldn’t — last forever. Anyone who is considering entering a competition should be prepared to deal with the physical and, more importantly, the emotional impact of returning to a more normal eating program.

The goal of pre-contest dieting is to lose as much fat as possible, and to achieve this, most competitors undergo a highly restricted eating and exercise plan that starts 12 to 16 weeks before the competition. As the macronutrient balance shifts toward high-protein, moderate carbs and low fat, the competitor’s body begins to shed both fat and water. As the intensity of the pre-contest diet increases, the competitor’s mind compiles a list of foods that she can’t wait to eat when the show is over. Most athletes want to celebrate, or simply reward months of sacrifice with a feast right after the competition. Some will take their indulgence a step further and immediately resume an off-season diet. This type of competitor may also stop taking the fat burners that helped her get through her twice-daily cardio workouts, cut back on the cardio or stop altogether, and decrease the intensity of her weight training sessions. Such an abrupt change in eating patterns and workout schedules will shock the body and cause a rebound effect. While enduring a calorie-restricted diet, a competitor’s body tends to go into a starvation-survival mode, which subsequently causes her metabolism to slow down. When she starts to eat a few more calories, her body will quickly store them as fat, stocking up for the next “famine.” Within a couple of days, her hard, lean appearance will “smooth out” primarily due to water being pulled into the muscles when glycogen (from carbs) floods the body. After even one week of less controlled eating and drastic reductions in her training intensity, she will regain body fat. This is the very same “yo-yo” effect that plagues many conventional dieters.

*This was happened to me after Jr Nationals . Not only did this affect my appearance but also my attitude about training. I felt fat and felt like I was being judged on how I was suppose to look according to my fb pictures of what people saw me looking like on stage. After reading this article ( which I didn't post it all ) I realized my health comes first I cant continue to do this to my body and I am determined to find a diet I can enjoy year round to where my body wont go into shock. Life is all about living and learning and that's exactly what I have done! I have had that one person to help pick me up and guide me Mohsin Khan and I don't know where I would be without him in my life. He inspires many people in this industry. Let just say you best believe come Nationals I will be back better then EVER !!
Take care
Alaina xo

Hoss06
08-17-2011, 08:07 AM
I think this applies to many competitors..including myself. It sucks but realistically we all know we can't walk around being that dry, vascular, underfed and over-trained.

katertot
10-06-2011, 11:32 AM
This was a great excerpt. I am struggling with this now. While I have been easing very slowly back into a higher carb diet...it's amazing what ever 10-20gm more a day can do. I truly feel better though, and I'm able to put much more intensity into my workouts. SO I guess that's my trade-off.

FitnBuf
10-06-2011, 11:54 AM
This thread touches me a lot!

My first post contest was bad....feeling fat all the time and of course the judging eyes of my circle of people turned me into a hermit. Which only made it worse. Getting back in the habit is harder now then before....but with the right mindset all of us can come back stronger and better. Just keep your head up since you know your path and no one else does....its about you and your success....Good luck in your comeback...:)

Hoss06
10-06-2011, 01:51 PM
2 weeks from sat will be - mind fucking time w/ physical appearance :(

FitnBuf
10-06-2011, 01:55 PM
2 weeks from sat will be - mind fucking time w/ physical appearance :(

I'm hear for you Hoss....:hmn:

The worst part is Halloween candy, thanksgiving and Christmas yummy's are headed our way....:'(

Hoss06
10-06-2011, 02:04 PM
I'm hear for you Hoss....:hmn:

The worst part is Halloween candy, thanksgiving and Christmas yummy's are headed our way....:'(

Halloween :) it's okay. You know who is doing my off-season plan. We had a nice "business" talk and he's hired

FitnBuf
10-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Halloween :) it's okay. You know who is doing my off-season plan. We had a nice "business" talk and he's hired

OMG!!! Thats great!!!