PDA

View Full Version : ON whey protein and keto diet

jjjohns_10
04-03-2009, 03:29 AM
Like most of you looking at this, i'm following Dave's Keto diet and it is working very well. Been using Isopure Zero Carb for my whey protein.
But let's face it, protein like this is expensive. I found 10lb bags of Optimum Nutrition (ON) Whey protein isolate on a site for $79 a bag; not a bad price!!! However for two scoops (48 grams protein), there is 6 grams of carbs.

What do you guys think? Okay or not okay while on this diet?

If not okay, anyone else using a good quality Zero Carb whey protein that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Random Letters
04-03-2009, 07:30 AM
Too much sugar.

Three shakes a day at 6g a piece is 18g of carbs. It's too many.

I use isolate from trueprotein.com

meatheadio
04-03-2009, 07:44 AM
ON Whey is primarily Whey Protein Concentrate, hence the reason you only get 48gm protein out of two scoops and such a large amount of carbohydrate. There is no such thing as a no carb protein, but companies are allowed to to use this marketing tool if there product has one gram or less of carbohydrate per serve.
I personally get 20kg (44lbs)bags of Isolate from New Zealand and get some flavouring from another site. New Zealand has the best protein in the world, best manufacturing and a pristine environment.
This way I know exactly what I am getting.
My protein has 27g protein, <1.0g fat and <13.0g carbs per 30g serve.
If youve got a couple of mates grab a bag and split it up. You'll get 5kg (assuming there is 4 of you) for less than what your paying for Optimums 100% Whey.

jjjohns_10
04-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Too much sugar.

Three shakes a day at 6g a piece is 18g of carbs. It's too many.

I use isolate from trueprotein.com

I'm only using one shake per day post workout. I'm a FOOD guy and prefer to get my calories/nutrience from those sources. If have three of my meals coming from a shake instead of food I go crazy with hunger.

Legend
04-04-2009, 08:50 PM

Legend
04-04-2009, 08:54 PM
However for two scoops (48 grams protein), there is 6 grams of carbs.

What do you guys think? Okay or not okay while on this diet?

As long as you keep your indirect carb sources under 35-50g you will remain in ketosis.

As for the quality of the ON compared to a pure isolate.....Isolate wins every time.

If not okay, anyone else using a good quality Zero Carb whey protein that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_un319.htm (http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_un319.htm)

jjjohns_10
04-04-2009, 09:05 PM
http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_un319.htm (http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_un319.htm)

Is the Isocool superior to the Isopreme (preferably chocolate flavor)? Is it the BCAA factor?

Legend
04-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Is the Isocool superior to the Isopreme (preferably chocolate flavor)? Is it the BCAA factor?

Booth of these products are good quality whey protein isolate, but here are the comparisons.

IsoCool has 0g carbs, and 0g fat/-2 scoops is 46g of protein.

IsoCool has 87 servings of 23g of protein = 2001g of pro for $39.00

Isosupreme has 2g of carbs, 1g of fat /-2 scoops has 30g of protein.

Isosupreme has 65 servings of 30g of protein = 1950g of protein for $39.00

you would also need to use 3 scoops of the Isosupreme to get 45g of protein, 3g carbs, and 1.5g of protein.

jjjohns_10
04-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Booth of these products are good quality whey protein isolate, but here are the comparisons.

you would also need to use 3 scoops of the Isosupreme to get 45g of protein, 3g carbs, and 1.5g of protein.

Good enough for me. Thx for the link

a11
04-04-2009, 11:26 PM
I´m using Isocool now but i think it is okay to use ON whey if you use macadamia nut oil or extra virgin olive oil instead of peanut buttter on the diet. I´ve heard Dave´s opinion about this in the old site. Just to let you know guys, that in Brazil protein is at least two times more expensive than in the USA although food here is a little bit cheaper.

jjjohns_10
04-05-2009, 02:03 PM
I´m using Isocool now but i think it is okay to use ON whey if you use macadamia nut oil or extra virgin olive oil instead of peanut buttter on the diet. I´ve heard Dave´s opinion about this in the old site. Just to let you know guys, that in Brazil protein is at least two times more expensive than in the USA although food here is a little bit cheaper.

Is that beacause of the little bit of carbs that are in the PB?

Myth
04-05-2009, 02:56 PM
why wouldnt you ask this in the keto diet sticky?

Legend
04-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Is that beacause of the little bit of carbs that are in the PB?

Its because as long as you keep your indirect carb sources under 35-50g you will remain in ketosis.

DaveV
04-06-2009, 07:06 AM
I used to think ON whey was so great but I like isolate alot better. Not that much more expensive either (at least buying it at a supplement shop here)

thesamewords
04-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Hey bro, I used ON for my Keto as well. I started with Pro Complex,went on to ON WHEY, and then switched to Dymatize. It has been one of the best moves for me. Just for the record I drank 3 shakes a day of all of these renditions and i was still in ketosis. Dymatize is working very well for me even though I love ON. If you are having trouble staying in ketosis, i doubt its your protein shake. i still eat ketchup and BBQ sauce and those are the only things that could mess with my Keto if I eat too much. Watch everything you are eating and double check those carbs!

"Rodz"
04-06-2009, 10:53 PM

nice work bro

jjjohns_10
04-07-2009, 04:51 PM
why wouldnt you ask this in the keto diet sticky?

Hmmm, maybe because i'm trying to find out if this protein source is okay on Dave's KETO DIET. No one else seemed to have a problem with it

jjjohns_10
04-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Hey bro, I used ON for my Keto as well. I started with Pro Complex,went on to ON WHEY, and then switched to Dymatize. It has been one of the best moves for me. Just for the record I drank 3 shakes a day of all of these renditions and i was still in ketosis. Dymatize is working very well for me even though I love ON. If you are having trouble staying in ketosis, i doubt its your protein shake. i still eat ketchup and BBQ sauce and those are the only things that could mess with my Keto if I eat too much. Watch everything you are eating and double check those carbs!

Nice! Thx for the tip bro!

Pryme
04-07-2009, 04:59 PM
ON Whey is primarily Whey Protein Concentrate,

NO.

jjjohns_10
04-09-2009, 08:46 PM
NO.

Are you saying it's primarily Whey Isolate? Didn't want to say anything on some of the earlier posts cause these guys sound like they know what they're talkin about, but that's what i thought too!