PDA

View Full Version : can you assist me on a lil question?

powermania
04-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Im pregnant. Im about 6 weeks along something like that I dont know. The baby is going to pop out around dec 5th.

I was wondering if you could help me out.
My normal calories are 1300-1500 and being pregnant I add 300 more calories to that (awesome!!) But Im burning 400 calories with cardio in the morning. Should I add the calories that I burn to my daily calories so im consuming about 2,000 calories?

Im trying SO hard to eat a balanced diet.
I want to get in 2-3 servings of dairy
3 servings of fruits
3-4 servings of veggies
and carbs I dont know how much i should be consuming? should I keep it 200g of carbs?
protein im thinking maybe 120g?

I guess what Im asking for is help with suggestions on foods for carbs and such. I know this isnt a pregnancy forum but Im looking for help from moms here who have had a baby and lived the working out lifting some heavy weights life style.

I feel so grose since I havent been able to lift. Its HORRIBLE and my boobs are getting huge!

Suzy Brown
04-03-2009, 12:30 PM
I have no diet advise but you can still lift. When the bump is bigger, you won't be able to do abs or anything requiring you to lie on your back too long (might want to stop working back & chest but its not required) but until then you should be able to -- and continue to! -- lift normally.

powermania
04-03-2009, 12:32 PM
I have no diet advise but you can still lift. When the bump is bigger, you won't be able to do abs or anything requiring you to lie on your back too long (might want to stop working back & chest but its not required) but until then you should be able to -- and continue to! -- lift normally.

I heard that you shouldn't do any lifting during the first trimester since thats when your the most at risk for a miscarriage. I was thinking about starting to lift when I get to my second trimester. I know I really cant do legs...maybe body weight squats and lunges. But thats about it. siigh

Mr X
04-03-2009, 12:35 PM
sorry to but in ladies but if theres any chance that lifting could put any added stress on the baby cant you just not lift till the baby is born sheeze.

Youngguns
04-03-2009, 12:35 PM
I think this is something you'd need to ask a doctor.

Ps. Agreed Mr.T.

I imagine you could do really light stuff, but doing a full workout seems pretty detrimental. I'd do a lot less weight, cut many movements, and keep doing cardio (low intensity).

Remember you have a tiny human in you.

Mr X
04-03-2009, 12:37 PM
I think this is something you'd need to ask a doctor.

For once I totally agree with YG

Youngguns
04-03-2009, 12:39 PM
For once I totally agree with YG
If I had a nickel for everytime I heard that, I'd have a days pay.

powermania
04-03-2009, 12:40 PM
sorry to but in ladies but if theres any chance that lifting could put any added stress on the baby cant you just not lift till the baby is born sheeze.
yea I'm not to worried about lifting anyways. Ill be moving in 2 months so Ill be with out a gym. I'm not concerned about working out. Im concerned about making sure I get the proper nutrition in me so that my baby can grow and develop and come out super healthy. thats all I care about.

Ill be able to talk to a dr about this once I get medicade.

Mr X
04-03-2009, 12:43 PM
yea I'm not to worried about lifting anyways. Ill be moving in 2 months so Ill be with out a gym. I'm not concerned about working out. Im concerned about making sure I get the proper nutrition in me so that my baby can grow and develop and come out super healthy. thats all I care about.

Ill be able to talk to a dr about this once I get medicade.

That sounds like a good plan.

~gymdiva~
04-03-2009, 12:46 PM
most women have no issues with still working out while pregnant...

HOWEVER

we are not doctors...go to your doctor and ask...about EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

powermania
04-03-2009, 04:13 PM

HOWEVER

we are not doctors...go to your doctor and ask...about EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Im not asking about working out Im asking about how to pick foods from each food group for maximum nutrition :)

Suzy Brown
04-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Try fitday.com??

~gymdiva~
04-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Im not asking about working out Im asking about how to pick foods from each food group for maximum nutrition :)

right...ask your doctor...

powermania
04-03-2009, 04:26 PM
haha okay okay Im just trying to get a plan for a good start before I get my dr

Tatyana
04-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Pregnant women need to eat at least 2500 kcals/day.

Northman
04-03-2009, 05:02 PM
I hear that pregnant woman should stay away from peanuts Rachel.

Angela123
04-03-2009, 05:27 PM
im not an expert and have never been pregnant...but i would think your calorie intake is way too low. please, go to a doctor and ask all of these questions. go to a free clinic if you have to until your health insurance starts. planned parenthood is just a call away.

no replies from anyone who has birthed a baby. ladies..are any of you out there? can u at least post something helpful for this woman.

Ann Caliri
04-03-2009, 09:23 PM

"Aim to have about 75 grams of protein daily; a total of 3 servings of protein foods from the following list"

24 oz (3 8 oz glasses) of milk or buttermilk
1 cup cottage cheese
2 cups yogurt
3 oz (3/4 cup grated) cheese
4 large whole eggs
7 large egg whites
3 1/2 oz drained canned tuna or sardines
4 oz drained canned salmon
4 oz cooked shellfish
4 oz (before cooking) fresh fish
4 oz (before cooking) skinless chicken, turkey, duck, or other poultry
4 oz (before cooking) lean beef, lamb, veal, pork, or buffalo

The book doesn't lump carbohydrate consumption into something as clear as it does protein, but instead lists them in their different forms, i.e. veggies, 3-4 servings per day; fruits, 1-2 servings per day; grains & legumes, 6 or more servings per day.

After looking at the way they did the protein category, if you feel like the carb info would be helpful to you, let me know and I'll type it out real quick. :) Congratulations!

Ann Caliri
04-03-2009, 09:29 PM
p.s. no asprin, ibuprofen, naproxin, etc. Acetaminophen only. Also, you can check the FDA's website, www.safefetus.com (http://www.safefetus.com) for any other prescrip or otc meds you may be taking. They rate them A to E on fetal safety and by trimester and it's really suprising to see some of the ratings of everyday stuff.

BigJD69
04-04-2009, 03:01 AM
You should be on PreNatal Vitamins which your Doc should give you a script for when you go to see him/her. Remember you are eating for two. Enjoy the time that you are pregnant. Your Doc will inform you on what you can and can't do. I believe there have been studies that pregnet women that exercise during their pregnancys, have an easier time giving birth and loosing the weight after the baby is born.

Tatyana
04-04-2009, 03:35 AM
If you don't eat enough while pregnant, not only will your baby have a low birth weight, but there is research that suggests the child will be prone to obesity and diabetes in later life.

Sledge
04-04-2009, 05:18 AM

HOWEVER

Great post.

I can't see working out being a problem. In fact I can see it benefiting you and your child. A healthy Mum means a healthy baby.

Same with diet, there are plenty of things you need to be including now your pregnant and I would imagine that will change as you progress through the pregnancy.

But Gymdiva is spot on. Find a doctor you trust (you don't have to like them just trust them) and follow the docs advise.

There is also plenty of good info on the net. don't get sucked in to the alternative stuff now, stick to what is tried and tested and proven to be good for you and bub.

And Sledge is a great name for a boy ;)

tammyp
04-04-2009, 05:47 AM
talk to your dr, get some books. im sure their is a zillion websites that can help.

fitmomma3
04-04-2009, 03:54 PM
FIRST OFF CONGRATS!!!! :)
Secondly if you can go to Barnes and Nobles or Borders and buy What to expect when your Expecting it has anything and everything about your pregnancy month to month and a whole section on healthy nutrition. It even breaks down healthy fats and calories for different food groups. I agree with Andrea go to a free clinic for now until your insurance kicks in or even just call a OBGYN and ask the nurse any concerns over the phone I''m sure they would be more than happy to help often throughout your pregnancy most situations /concerns/questions are handled over the phone so that you don't make 319 office visits for simple questions so the nurses are very use to routine questions.

As far as working out the RULE generally is Whatever you were doing before you got pregnant you can continue doing throughout your pregnancy, the idea is not to introduce anything new to your body while you are pregnant... BUT like everyone said it is best to check with your doctor because this is based on COMPLETELY HEALTHY PREGNANCIES... if anything is up with your cervic or placenta or anything inside that you would not be able to know then all the rules change and caution may be needed more. The most restrictions come 3rd trimester. The main things to be aware of are hydration, not lying supine, getting too tired... things like that.

The more fit you stay, and the healthier you eat the easier you will be able to get back into it once the baby's here and the easier the baby weight will come off
... plus a healthy mommy is suppose to make for an easier delivery too!! Best of luck and keep us posted :)

PS I had horrible pregnancies and was actually on bed rest so no working out for me but I know of many women who worked out right up until the last weeks... and my gymnastics coach was bouncing on the trampoline the night her son was born lol it all depends on your present conditioning training and the health/stability of the pregnancy.

figgy
04-04-2009, 04:37 PM
I heard that you shouldn't do any lifting during the first trimester since thats when your the most at risk for a miscarriage. I was thinking about starting to lift when I get to my second trimester. I know I really cant do legs...maybe body weight squats and lunges. But thats about it. siigh

If you have never lifted before or took time off and now just getting back into it, I suggest not lifting in your first trimester. However, if you have been lifting regularly, there is no reason to quit. If you just now start lifting (heavy), your body will become very stressed due to the new workout AND the new pregnancy and misscarriage my happen. Like you said, I would just do bodyweight squats and lift lightly....

Cardio is always good too!

I would ask your doctor just to be sure though!

BadAssBarbie
04-06-2009, 10:48 PM
I'm no dr, but I've had 2 babies!! I think...eat the extra calories. Make sure you drink enough water while you're trining and doing cardio. I think your HR is supposed to not go higher than 140bpm. I trained and did cardio all the way up to the last day with my last pregnancy. I lifted pretty heavy too!! Delivery and recovery were SO much easier!! Talk to your Dr...and listen to your body:)

tight booty
04-07-2009, 04:01 AM
Im pregnant. Im about 6 weeks along something like that I dont know. The baby is going to pop out around dec 5th.

I was wondering if you could help me out.
My normal calories are 1300-1500 and being pregnant I add 300 more calories to that (awesome!!) But Im burning 400 calories with cardio in the morning. Should I add the calories that I burn to my daily calories so im consuming about 2,000 calories?

Im trying SO hard to eat a balanced diet.
I want to get in 2-3 servings of dairy
3 servings of fruits
3-4 servings of veggies
and carbs I dont know how much i should be consuming? should I keep it 200g of carbs?
protein im thinking maybe 120g?

I guess what Im asking for is help with suggestions on foods for carbs and such. I know this isnt a pregnancy forum but Im looking for help from moms here who have had a baby and lived the working out lifting some heavy weights life style.

I feel so grose since I havent been able to lift. Its HORRIBLE and my boobs are getting huge!
Firstly, a huge congrats to you! :)
I have had two babies and I just ate whatever I wanted during both the pregnancies. I had terrible morning sickness all the way during the first trimester and partly into the second one but at 16 weeks I remember that it was completely over with so by then I started to feel awesome and glow!
I felt very dizzy in the first trimester and so for that reason I didn't really exercise, so I recommend that you take it easy and listen to how your body is feeling. My thoughts are that you are an incubator for a life and so that comes first.....baby and both your health!!!!
I don't think you should be concerned with counting calories. Just eat plenty of good food....as many veges as you can, fresh fruit, fish, nuts and healthy oils such as virgin olive oil. I ate alot of seafood and oysters and apparently oysters are high in zinc and that can help to prevent stretchmarks. I never got any stretch marks so you might want to eat plenty of foods high in zinc.
The most important thing is taking care of yourself and your baby. Oh and another thing, make sure you are consuming enough calcium because leg cramps are not much fun in the middle of the night! Your legs will cramp from lack of calcium, so have plenty of yoghurt etc

fitmomma3
04-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Hey Rach! Got your PM hope this helps! :)

http://www.babycenter.com/eating-well-during-pregnancy

SO many awesome nutrition articles for pregnancy and even things you should avoid eating as well... you can also go to the pregnancy section and enter your due date and it will follow along with growth, symptoms, expected weight gain, things you should know about that month... it's a great site! Enjoy!!!

powermania
04-07-2009, 04:05 PM
aww thanks everyone!! Lucky for me I was taking a pre-natal for over a year before I got preggo!! That one had 400mg of folic acid but now Im taking 800mg of folic acid. Im also drinking a mother to be tea that helps me with morning sickness. I find if i dont drink it ill be nausous all day. Its a life savor!

everything is going good so far! I just dont understand all these weird feelings haha. My chest has gotten HUGE im not kidding:eek: Its actually kind of beautiful how my body is changing. Even though ill be getting fat.

I got my health insurance today. And Im not going to lift at all durring my first trimester. Im actually going to focus more on yoga. I dont want to take any chances on straining anything.

I been eating good, but I been craving red meat all the time!
I been eating really good i think I havent been able to count the calories yet. Im shooting for a clean 2,000 calorie diet.

this is what i been eating

2 whole eggs 3 egg whites 3/4 cups of oats
grapefruit
6oz sweet potatoe 4 oz chicken green beans
yogart and banana
spinich and 4 oz turkey
4 oz red meat brocolie

i prob need to get some more calories in there.

my bood pressure has gone down from 150/90 to 104/66 thank god.
I am not going to use any drugs for anything. Im also going to do a natural birth. My cousin is a midwife.

I just cant wait to move home to be with my family!

Ortski
04-21-2009, 07:43 AM
Congrats Rach :)

Hope everything goes awesome!

LainaJ
04-21-2009, 04:30 PM
I asked my gyno that when I was pregnant with my son.. he said if you did it before you can do it during.. he just said not to compete for any olympic records... I lifted weights ( accepts legs due to it feeling like my uterus was gonna drop out during squats) up until my 8th month.. at that point I was just so big and miserable I needed a break..

LainaJ
04-21-2009, 04:32 PM
this is right on the money ...2500 a day is what I was on ... until I became diabetic lol thats a whole other story.. also STAY AWAY FROM SUGARS....
im not an expert and have never been pregnant...but i would think your calorie intake is way too low. please, go to a doctor and ask all of these questions. go to a free clinic if you have to until your health insurance starts. planned parenthood is just a call away.

no replies from anyone who has birthed a baby. ladies..are any of you out there? can u at least post something helpful for this woman.