PDA

View Full Version : UFC 95 Discuss

Bubba Bronko
02-12-2009, 12:52 AM
UFC 95 FIGHT CARD; MAIN CARD ON SPIKE TV
Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - by MMAWeekly.com Staff

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8164-UFC95_Poster.jpg
The Ultimate Fighting Championship has released the full fight card for the Feb. 21 UFC 95 event in London. The main event features Diego Sanchez in a lightweight battle against Joe Stevenson.

UFC 95 will be televised on a same-day tape delayed basis on Spike TV, featuring Sanchez's 155-pound debut. Following the first two losses of his career – against Josh Koscheck and Jon Fitch – Sanchez won back-to-back victories at welterweight before deciding to drop down a class. Stevenson has struggled recently, losing two of his three most recent bouts, and will be looking to the Sanchez fight to get back on track.

Other bouts scheduled for the Spike TV broadcast include a defining middleweight bout between top contenders Nate Marquardt and Wilson Gouveia, Josh Koscheck welcoming Brazilian Paulo Thiago to the Octagon, Demian Maia putting his undefeated streak on the line against former WEC light heavyweight Chael Sonnen, and Brit Dan Hardy against former IFLer Rory Markham.

UFC 95 Main Card Bouts:
-Diego Sanchez (#8 Welterweight in the World)* vs. Joe Stevenson in a lightweight bout
-Josh Koscheck (#4 Welterweight in the World)* vs. Paulo Thiago
-Nathan Marquardt (#4 Middleweight in the World)* vs. Wilson Gouveia
-Chael Sonnen vs. Demian Maia
-Dan Hardy vs. Rory Markham

UFC 95 Preliminary Bouts:
-Junior dos Santos vs. Stefan Struve
-David Baron vs. Per Eklund
-Justin Buchholz vs. Terry Etim
-Neil Grove vs. Mike Ciesnolevicz
-Paul Kelly vs. Troy Mandaloniz

Main card airs on same-day tape delay in the United States on Spike TV at 9:00 PM (ET/PT)

* Based on MMAWeekly.com World MMA Rankings

JamesWebb
02-12-2009, 06:53 PM
weak ass card.

BABOON
02-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Damn, not often is there are card I have absolutely no interest in seeing, but that is about as close as it gets.

IanMazia
02-12-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm actually looking forward to see how competitive Diego will be in the 155 class. I believe this fight is going to end on the ground with Stevenson coming outta there with a victory via Rear Naked Choke or Guillotine.

CanadianBacon
02-12-2009, 11:14 PM
I'm actually looking forward to see how competitive Diego will be in the 155 class. I believe this fight is going to end on the ground with Stevenson coming outta there with a victory via Rear Naked Choke or Guillotine.

Stevenson will always be a "lightweight contender". Nothing more. Diego is gunna roll him, it's gunna be comparable to penn vs stevenson.

Charles Kozeluh
02-13-2009, 12:19 AM
the maia fight is the only one I want to see

2manytoyz
02-13-2009, 10:44 AM
I have sat 2nd and 3rd row at UFC 70,75,80 and 85. I'm not going anymore until they bring better fight cards back to the UK plus I have no funds :(

Bubba Bronko
02-13-2009, 05:37 PM
BRIAN COBB IN FOR JUSTIN BUCHHOLZ AT UFC 95
Friday, February 13, 2009 - by MMAWeekly.com Staff

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8174-CobbTogashi069ShootoUSA0807.jpg
Riding a nine-fight winning streak, Palace Fighting Championship lightweight titleholder Brian Cobb is stepping in on short notice to face Terry Etim at UFC 95 on Feb. 21 in London, according to a report on Sherdog.com (http://www.sherdog.com/).
</SPAN>
Justin Buchholz was originally slated to fight Etim, but confirmed to MMAWeekly.com that he had to withdraw after he was stricken with a severe staph infection on his arm.

Etim is currently 2-2 in his UFC career, most recently defeating Sam Stout at UFC 89 in Birmingham, England. His two losses in the Octagon – to Rich Clementi and Gleison Tibau – are the only losses on his 11-2 resume.

UFC 95 marks Cobb's debut for the promotion following a long career fighting for Gladiator Challenge and winning the PFC championship. Like Etim, he has a strong submission game.

The two will compete as part of the UFC 95 undercard. The main event features Diego Sanchez making his debut at 155 pounds, as he faces lightweight contender Joe Stevenson.

UFC 95 FIGHT CARD (http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/rumors.asp?articleid=7652&zoneid=14)

Hittin
02-13-2009, 10:39 PM
/Yawn this card sucks!

Bubba Bronko
02-16-2009, 09:38 AM
UFC 95: NO WEIGHTY CONCERNS FOR NEIL GROVE
Sunday, February 15, 2009 - by Tom Hamlin - MMAWeekly.com

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8183-NeilGrove_CR25_438.jpg
Neil Grove is wearing a fresh coat of eye shadow, courtesy of a light heavyweight at Xtreme Couture who plastered him during sparring last week. It was his first trip to the conveyor belt of Las Vegas talent, his visible memento of learning.

The 7-1 heavyweight is scheduled to make his UFC debut against Mike Ciesnolevicz at UFC 95. Grove’s original opponent, Justin McCully, was forced from the bout by a cut injury.

The light heavyweight who gave Grove his mark wasn’t even a light heavyweight by his standard. To him, American 205’ers are more like heavyweights with a tolerance for the sauna, cutting from 225 pounds – or 102 kilograms – to make the weight class below. Grove fights as big as 280 pounds, and couldn’t be considered anything other than a heavyweight.

Ciesnolevicz has fought most of his career at light heavyweight, but could be pushing around an extra 40 pounds come fight time. If he wanted a quick way to negate all of that bulk, it would be to topple the bigger man.

Grove is well aware of his American counterpart’s strong tradition in wrestling, something he did not have as a budding mixed martial artist who “worked the doorways” of London. In Couture’s fenced-in area for sparring, punches anticipated takedowns and smothering ground and pound. He admits he’s still integrating that piece of the puzzle.

“Fighting Americans, I think they’re all a lot better than you think,” Grove says without a trace of sarcasm (http://videos.mmaweekly.com/view_player.php?id=2994).

He expects the same skill set from Ciesnolevicz when they meet next Saturday in London. A staple of Britain’s flagship MMA promotion, Cage Rage (now Ultimate Challenge), Grove knocked through his first five opponents in short time. He was first introduced to the sport through Goju-ryu karate, and took to the cage after getting a taste for trading punches.

“If I was him, I wouldn’t stand with me,” Grove says of his Miletich trained opponent.

If there were another decided advantage for Ciesnolevicz, it’s experience – the Bettendorf, Iowa resident has 11 more fights on his resume. But Grove believes his age, 38, to Ciesnolevicz’s 29, might negate that.

“The fact that I’m older and have a bit more experience in life rather than in fighting,” he said. “I’ve been tough all my life. Played rugby, been doing martial arts for 10 years… so I take that into account. Regardless of having pro fights or not, I like fighting. He’s had a hell of a lot more fights than I have, but I’m still learning.”

For Grove, it’s a blessing just to be in the UFC. If he’s at any disadvantage, he’s not going to let it hold him back from opportunity.

“It’s a big step up from fighting in the U.K.,” he says. “It doesn’t make a difference to me at all, mate. Doesn’t matter who they put me up against – it could be a seasoned fighter in the UFC. It could be (the fighter’s) debut as well. To me, it’s just another fight. Just rise to the occasion and do my best. So whatever happens in this fight, I’ve got a lot more to give as time progresses.”

Bubba Bronko
02-16-2009, 09:39 AM
JOSH KOSCHECK READY TO TAKE ON ALL COMERS
Sunday, February 15, 2009 - by Jeff Cain - MMAWeekly.com

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8178-KoscheckLytle068UFC86.jpg
Ultimate Fighting Championship welterweight Josh Koscheck fought four times in 2008, racking up three wins over Dustin Hazelett, Chris Lytle and Yoshiyuki Yoshida, only losing to 170-pound top contender Thiago Alves by unanimous decision.

The Ultimate Fighter season one participant and collegiate wrestling standout intends to compete five times in 2009, and the American Kickboxing Academy trained fighter doesn't care who those future opponents are.

"My plan this year, I want to fight at least five times this year. I think that would be ideal for me. I'm always in the gym. I'm always trying to train, and if anybody gets hurt, call Josh Koscheck because I'll step up and fight," said the 31-year-old fighter. "My goal is to fight five times this year. I don't care who it is. I don't care where it is."

Experience goes a long way and Koscheck wants to build his.

"Every time you get in the cage you get more experience, you get more valuable time in that octagon. And honestly, in the first three years of my career, I didn't really have that much time in the octagon," said the top-five ranked welterweight. "I was pretty much a newbie, a fish out of water I would say. I really wanted to get as many fights as I possibly could. I think I have fifteen or sixteen fights with the UFC already, so now I'm starting to get in that rhythm. I'm starting to feel comfortable in there."

"I think it's just being familiar with being in the cage. From coming off the wrestling mat to just straight mixed martial arts was a huge adjustment," added Koscheck. "Now that I'm fighting as much as I can, I want to keep that roll going so I can keep improving every time I step into the cage."

Koscheck's first fight in 2009 is against Paulo Thiago at UFC 95 from the O2 Arena in London, England on Feb. 21.

"Right now I'm not focused on anything but training and fighting in London on UFC 95 and getting a victory there, commented Koscheck. "Then coming back home and getting back in the gym and getting ready for another fight."

"If anybody in the division is willing to step up and fight, I'm willing to accept the fight."

Bubba Bronko
DAN HARDY READY FOR UFC 95 HOMESTAND
Monday, February 16, 2009 - by Lee Whitehead - MMAWeekly.com

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8177-UFC89_HardyGono_001.jpg
UFC 95 rolls into view on Feb. 21 at the O2 Arena in London. One fighter who is absolutely chomping at the bit is British welterweight standout Dan Hardy.

“I know this is going to sound like a cliché, but I am in much better shape now than ever before. I was in better shape a week ago than I was in my last fight against Akihiro Gono, and I thought I was in great condition for that one,” explains Hardy, adding that his camp has been more homegrown this time round.

“This is a back to the roots camp for me. I did a lot of my technical stuff in U.S. before Christmas, but I have been back here since the New Year, working solidly with Nathan 'Levo' Leverton on my jiu-jitsu, Owen Comrie on my Thai, and Oli Richardson on my conditioning. I feel fantastic.”

Hardy is riding high on a successful debut in the Octagon against the aforementioned Japanese opponent, but furthermore, he is coming into this bout off the back of nine wins (excluding a dodgy disqualification over in Japan) and faces an opponent who doesn’t seem to respect his stand-up power.

“I saw the comments he made about (me) not having any power in my hands, but that just makes me wonder what fights (of mine) he has been watching. I don’t have his kind of punching power, I will admit that, but he will have a shock if he thinks he will just shake my strikes off,” he laughs.

When taking a fight at this level, there are loads of elements that factor into a gameplan. As has just been mentioned, video analysis of previous fights, looking into your opponent’s training camp and stylistic tendencies – an area where Hardy and the Rough House team have been particularly successful in the past. So how does he see this fight going and what has the preparation entailed?

“We have analyzed everything we can find on Markham. He can land a decent punch, but he doesn’t seem that well rounded. He has no wrestling, no jiu-jitsu, and he isn’t that technical, but it seems to work for him, as he has never been to a decision. He seems to either KO someone or get KO’d himself. His style puts him in danger as he is always coming forward, but he doesn’t seem to have the chin for it.”

Fighting words indeed, but Hardy is aware that both are in the same place within the organization at the moment and is philosophical about how to apply his craft. “He is trying to lure me into his game, but I am not buying it. We know how to beat him and in the process of finding that out, he will get an answer to questions about my power.”

The final piece in replicating an opponent’s style is to ensure you can prepare for what they bring to the table. For this encounter, Hardy has been doing a lot of work with Paul Daley and Jim Wallhead. He picks up the tale, “We're missing a couple of guys out of the camp at the moment because they are out in America doing stuff, but one thing that has been great is having Paul back for sparring. We have normally gone our separate ways, but I can really see how much he has improved, very explosive, nice tight combinations, and with a naturally gifted knockout power in his hands. We don’t hold back much in sparring and I know Markham won’t be hitting me with anything like the shots Paul has. All you have to do is look at the guys Paul has been knocking out in comparison.

“The thing is, I am taking this fight a lot more seriously than Gono. Although that was a tricky fight, I am not sure how much Gono still wants things. With Markham, I know he will be hungry as we're both coming off wins in the UFC, we're of similar age and stand point in our respective careers,” he offers. With the UFC welterweight division being as stacked as it is, a run to the top of the division can take a long time, just ask Marcus Davis.

So what does he want to achieve this year?

“I want to rack up three solid wins, that’s my aim for this year. I am a realist; I don’t have title aspirations yet. Markham is a good start to the year for me. After that I want two more good solid wins and then to pick off someone close to Top 10 or break into it by the end of the year.”

Finally, with the hard work in the bag, and UFC 95 just round the corner, what does Hardy do between now and the bell ringing?

“Well it’s nice not having to travel. I will have massive home support, which will always give me a boost. But mostly it's about mental preparation and positive visual enforcement. I imagine the walk out to the cage, play the fight out in my mind, gameplan, techniques, and finally my opponent standing across the cage from me, looking through their eyes at what they will face.”

Bubba Bronko
THE REBIRTH OF DIEGO SANCHEZ STARTS AT UFC 95
Monday, February 16, 2009 - by Damon Martin - MMAWeekly.com

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8181-SanchezFioravanti241TUF7.jpg
There has been a tremendous amount of hype around the move to 155 pounds by former "Ultimate Fighter" season one winner Diego Sanchez, and while he is ready to conquer the world he first has to get by Joe Stevenson on Saturday night at UFC (http://www.mmaweekly.com/new-ff.asp?ff=UFC1) 95 in London.

Sanchez told MMAWeekly Radio recently that he actually asked for a match-up against Kenny Florian for his first bout at lightweight, but he was instead offered former No. 1 contender Joe Stevenson, and the New Mexico native is fine with that choice as well.

"I asked for Kenny Florian right out of the gate. They gave me Joe Stevenson (http://www.mmaweekly.com/new-ff.asp?ff=JoeStevenson2), but it's all good. I can consider it a better fight beating Joe Stevenson," said Sanchez. "It's The Ultimate Fighter winner – the original Ultimate Fighter winner – season one versus season two Ultimate Fighter winner. We go back to King of the Cage days together and it's a great fight for me, I'm excited."

There are a lot of potential match-ups for Sanchez at 155 pounds, but he insists he's not looking past Stevenson. He also feels that The Ultimate Fighter season two winner has no idea what he's up against.

"Joe's a tough opponent, but I can honestly really say this is going to be another level right here for Joe Stevenson," Sanchez stated. "Something that he's never faced before."

One particular area that he has focused on in preparation for this fight is his rapidly improving striking, which he believes is the difference in the bout against Stevenson.

"I want to go in there and I want to show my striking. I showed improvement for the Luigi (Fioravanti) fight. Everybody was impressed with the striking for the Luigi fight, and then for the Thiago (Alves) fight I really, really dedicated myself. I trained hard, and I came up short, getting injured two weeks before the fight. I made a lot of improvements in that camp also," Sanchez commented.

"Now with Joe Stevenson, he's the perfect opponent for me to go in there and show my striking. I'm sure once he gets hit by some of my power, he's definitely going to try to take me down, but that's cool with me too cause the more he tries to take me down the more he's going to get tired. I know Joe's a great athlete, but I know he has not put the work in like me."

The work that Sanchez has done is not only drop the weight to make 155 pounds, but do so in a way that doesn't cost him any power or cardio that he had when fighting at 170 pounds. EliteXC welterweight champion Jake Shields helped him with his camp and he's ready to prove that the training has paid off.

"In my opinion the fight is always in the training," said Sanchez. "This is going to definitely by far be the best Diego Sanchez, the best looking Diego Sanchez, the best trained Diego Sanchez, and definitely the most focused Diego Sanchez you'll ever see. It was a challenge to make the weight. It was just pure discipline."

Believing in his ability to be the best in the world, Sanchez says fans can expect a whole new beast when he steps in the cage on Feb. 21, and then the "Nightmare" begins.

"This is my rebirth. I was on my way to starting a legacy back when I was 19-0 and this is my rebirth for that Diego legacy," Sanchez said. "Not only am I going to make a statement the way I look, I'm also going to make a statement the way I fight."

Mr X
02-16-2009, 09:42 AM
this for me is one of the worst cards the UFC has ever put together.

~BG~
02-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Its free so I wont complain, but man "Big Daddy" better pull something out of his ass or Sanchez is going to put on a show.

Bubba Bronko
02-17-2009, 12:40 AM
MARQUARDT ONLY SEES AT WHAT'S IN FRONT OF HIM
Monday, February 16, 2009 - by Damon Martin - MMAWeekly.com

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8188-NateMarquardtUFC95_3785.jpg
To be the top contender in the UFC's middleweight division, fighters have to travel a tough road to get close to champion Anderson Silva. Working his way back to a rematch with Silva may be even tougher, but that's exactly what Nate Marquardt (http://videos.mmaweekly.com/view_player.php?id=2995) is striving for when he steps into the cage Saturday night to fight rising 185-pound star Wilson Gouveia at UFC 95 in London.

Having moved past his loss to Silva in July 2007, Marquardt has never been shy about his desire to get back to the title shot. One way that seems almost flawless is to be a coach on "The Ultimate Fighter." While the upcoming season already has leaders in Dan Henderson and Michael Bisping, it was Marquardt who was hoping for his shot on the show.

"I wanted to do it and I think the UFC was considering me, but things happen, they have their reasoning’s," Marquardt said about The Ultimate Fighter season nine. "I’m happy with what I have now. I'm sure that's still a possibility for the future."

Never one to focus on the past, he now looks towards a bright future, one that became even brighter after a first round drubbing of former middleweight contender Martin Kampmann in September 2007. Now he's ready to continue the path that leads him back to the title, but his eyes never stray from the mission at hand.

"All I'm really doing is focusing on what's in front of me now," Marquardt said about his fight against Gouveia. "I've got a tough fight ahead of me now and as long as I stay focused everything will fall in place."

Since dropping to the middleweight division, Gouveia has won his last two in a row, most recently dispatching of Jason MacDonald in December 2007. Marquardt was happy with the choice in opponent and he knows what a tough customer Gouveia can be.

"I was excited. He came off a couple of big wins and he's kind of a big name right now in the middleweights, so I'm excited," Marquardt said about his opponent.

Training with some of the best in the world at Team Jackson, the former seven-time King of Pancrase knows that Gouveia is also getting top-notch instruction at his camp at American Top Team. While admitting that his opponent trains with great fighters, Marquardt is more concerned with what he's going to do in the fight.

"I know my training and all I really care about is my training," Marquardt stated. "Every fight I want to fight the best opponent I can, so I hope Wilson shows up in shape cause I know I'm going to be in shape."

Marquardt had a familiar cast of fighters working in his camp that traveled from his home in Colorado to New Mexico and all the way to Montreal. Georges St. Pierre, Rashad Evans, Keith Jardine, Joey Villasenor, Shane Carwin, and others let Marquardt know that he's got a family beside him when it comes time to fight.

"We're like brothers," he said about his teammates.

With the training camp winding down, Marquardt closed out his camp at home in Denver before packing up and heading overseas to England. Even though he'll be the only one fighting Gouveia in the cage, he will have almost his entire team there on Saturday night to support him as he takes another step towards a return shot at the UFC middleweight title.

Bubba Bronko
02-17-2009, 12:41 AM
Its free and its not that bad of a card. No complaints here! Sanchez will own 155

Hittin
02-17-2009, 12:57 AM
Its free and its not that bad of a card. No complaints here! Sanchez will own 155

Huh? He ain't gonna beat BJ or Sherk.

Sanchez is a slightly better version of Joe Stevenson.

~BG~
02-17-2009, 07:38 PM
Sanchez is a slightly better version of Joe Stevenson.
I dont about that. He and Sherk would be a great fight, I think he even has a good chance at beating Penn. His stricking has improved so much, ground pound is good/very good, JJ/good and cardio is probably as good as it gets. My bet he will be champ with in a year at 155.

Bubba Bronko
02-17-2009, 11:30 PM
MARKHAM READY FOR GOOD OLD-FASHIONED FIGHT
Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - by Tom Hamlin - MMAWeekly.com

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8190-MarkhamFarberDSC_6141UFN14.jpg
Twenty-six-year-old Pat Miletich product Rory Markham lives by an old boxing saying: In the ring, the truth will find you.

“That’s my truth,” he tells MMAWeekly Radio. “You hit me, I’ll hit you twice. You hit me twice – I’ll hit you four times. That’s just who I am.”

And so far, Markham has not been afraid of the truth. His give one-take two style has served him well – of 16 career wins, 11 have been by KO or TKO. It's a marriage of convenience: he’s good at throwing shots, and fans like it. But he can’t be that way forever; he has a five-year plan that doesn’t involve throwing himself on the sword every time he’s in training room or the cage.

“Eventually I’ll reinvent myself, and look farther out and make sure that I become more of a Georges St. Pierre if I’m going to take it to the next level,” he says.

In other words, aggression checked by tactical mastery. When he got the call from the UFC in mid-2008, manager Monte Cox told him he would need to add patience to his arsenal of weapons.

“If you can be patient, you’re going to be in a better spot than if you were too anxious,” Markham says of Cox’s advice.

Of course, he needed to put on a show once he got to the sport’s biggest platform. He had idolized his hard-swinging former teammate Robbie Lawler as the example of how to make an impression. At the UFC’s “Silva vs. Irvin” show, he did just that, knocking out fellow newcomer Brodie Farber with a vicious head kick. Even that wasn’t good enough for the Chicago native.

“There’s got to be a way to win these things in a little bit more dominating fashion,” Markham remembers saying.

Right now, he wants to bring his improvements to every performance, because he has time to make changes. Gone are his hectic days with the International Fight League, where he trained for 4-5 weeks, fought, and rested for a week. “They didn’t really understand that we weren’t basketball players or baseball players, that we could be there for every fight,” says Markham of the failed promotion. Like GSP, he wants to hone his individual skills and mix them together come fight time.

“But under no circumstance am I ever going to get away from who I am,” Markham continues.

UFC 95 in England will not be the place where he shifts gears. His opponent, Dan Hardy, also 26, is a budding technician on his feet and is more than willing to throw hands. "There’s no way I can see this thing being boring," Markham comments. It’s certain that American will play the heel to the Nottingham resident, but in the end, he believes English fans really just want to see a “good old-fashioned fight.”

“And that’s what I’m going to give them,” he concludes.

Bubba Bronko
02-17-2009, 11:31 PM
I dont about that. He and Sherk would be a great fight, I think he even has a good chance at beating Penn. His stricking has improved so much, ground pound is good/very good, JJ/good and cardio is probably as good as it gets. My bet he will be champ with in a year at 155.

Took the words right out of my mouth

Bubba Bronko
02-17-2009, 11:31 PM
UFC 95: JOE STEVENSON IS RISING TO THE OCCASION
Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - by Ken Pishna - MMAWeekly.com

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8194-JoeStevenson_UFC80_Press_004.jpg
Having made his name in the Octagon via the UFC's welterweight division – he's currently the No. 8 ranked fighter in the world at 170 pounds – Diego Sanchez on Saturday night marks his lightweight debut. Waiting to welcome him to the division when the door to the cage closes at UFC 95 will be Joe Stevenson (http://www.mmaweekly.com/new-ff.asp?ff=JoeStevenson2).

Though it will be Sanchez's first time fighting at 155 pounds, Stevenson says he doesn't expect his foe will suffer from any residual effects of the weight cut.

"That'd be really cool if I get an advantage," he said recently, "but I think Diego is such a professional that the first initial weight cut isn't going to be a factor. I think he's going to come in here 110 percent prepared."

Of course, he's prepared as well, maybe to the greatest extent of his career. "I feel great coming into this fight. I hit a turning point in the camp where emotionally and spiritually and physically I just started to excel. I'm hitting new levels."

That's no small feat considering that the 26-year-old has been fighting since he was 16, amassing a professional record of 29-9.

Fighting since he was 20, Sanchez counts 21 bouts on his own resume, so there's not a tremendous disparity in experience when the tale of the tape is read.

"I think we're fairly, pretty matched even, me having been a 170-pounder in the past, too," said Stevenson.

There is a big difference as they enter the Octagon at UFC 95, though. Sanchez comes into the fight on a two-fight winning streak, having bounced back from the first two losses of his career. Stevenson, on the other hand, is 1-2 in his three most recent bouts. He lost in a title bid against current UFC lightweight champion B.J. Penn, subbed Gleison Tibau, then was succinctly derailed by No. 1 contender Kenny Florian.

It's been a period of growth for Stevenson, however. He's made a lot of changes since failing to capture the title. He has made the move from "Sin City" back to his hometown of Victorville, Calif., where he has opened up his own school.

"I fought a little over a year ago for that title. Things that have changed in my life since then, moving a way from Vegas, staying away from temptation," he relayed.

Moving wasn't the only change though. He has made what are arguably bigger changes; some inspired by his eight-year-old son. " I haven't drank since that, actually. I made some life changing modifications. I took my son out for Christmas. I said, you can have anything you want for Christmas, and he asked me to stop chewing. So, I've stopped chewing, I stopped drinking... and I feel like I was robbing myself, honestly. There'll be plenty of time to do that silly stuff when I'm older and I'm done fighting."

He realizes that the lifespan of a professional athlete's career is not prone to longevity, his already being longer than most. The changes that he has made are geared towards one goal, a return shot at the UFC title. The first step back is the fight with Sanchez at UFC 95.

"The winner of this fight is, bar none, not only in the fan's eyes, but in a lot of the fighters' eyes, deserving of any title shot," said Stevenson.

That's a lot of pressure, but it comes with the territory when you strive to be the best. It's a pressure that both fighters have dealt with for years.

"Everyone has different pressure in their lives that affects them. It's what you do under that pressure that makes you who you are. Do you fold? Do you rise to the occasion? Do you perform?" said Stevenson, fortified by his 10 years in the sport. "And that's what separates Diego and myself from other fighters, we rise to occasions."

The question is, which one will rise to the occasion at UFC (http://www.mmaweekly.com/new-ff.asp?ff=UFC1) 95 in London?

DaEagles
02-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Looking for a great fight by Nate the Great

DaEagles
02-18-2009, 04:50 PM
People might say its a weak card, but usually turn out the best.

2manytoyz
02-18-2009, 05:34 PM
People might say its a weak card, but usually turn out the best.

true but you wouldn't be saying that if it wasn't free

Bubba Bronko
02-19-2009, 09:21 AM
UFC 95 IN DEPTH: SANCHEZ VS. STEVENSON
Thursday, February 19, 2009 - by Tom Hamlin - MMAWeekly.com

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8210-headline.jpg
This Saturday, London's O2 Arena hosts main event lightweights Joe Stevenson and Diego Sanchez as they enter a crossroads in their respective careers.

In 2007, the 27 year-old Sanchez saw a 20-month run at the UFC welterweight title derailed by two of the American Kickboxing Academy’s stars, Josh Koscheck and Diego Sanchez. After a short period of introspection, Sanchez shrugged off calls to drop to lightweight, defeating David Bielkheden and Luigi Fioravanti in 2008. 2009 brought new perspective, and Sanchez, realizing the possible length of a title run and size of the division’s top competitors, decided he could leap frog the ladder to a belt by going to 155.

In his first fight out, he faces Joe Stevenson, a brief refugee of the welterweight class—and believe it or not, the middleweight class in his early days—who is fighting to keep his spot in the upper echelon of the division after falling short against current champ BJ Penn at UFC 80 and top contender Kenny Florian at UFC 91. His last appearance was a bad setback, and with a win against Sanchez, Stevenson could do a lot to re-invigorate his UFC career.

Striking

Sanchez has come a long way from his days as a scrappy fighter with average hands and a slick ground game. In his last two fights against Bielkheden and Fioravanti, Sanchez’s strikes has gotten far more crisp and deadly. Despite his focus with jiu-jitsu ace Saulo Ribeiro, Sanchez puts better combinations together, and measures aggression with tactics. His kick/knee combination against Fioravanti at the TUF 7 Finale was devastating—he put down a fighter known for his durability in decisive fashion. He also punches well in close, and standing over a downed opponent--a frequent occurence when he bull-rushes them.

Stevenson’s striking has evolved over time as well. Also a decorated grappler—before the Florian fight, he received his black belt in jiu-jitsu from Robert Drysdale—Stevenson’s hands, feet, and knees have played catch-up with his mat skills. Generally, he uses his strikes to set up his ground work, having short arms that prevent him from picking his opponents apart at range. Stevenson has worked hard on developing his footwork to negate his reach disadvantage, particularly on his jab. A looping overhand right often serves as a smokescreen for a shot.

Grappling and Submissions

Stevenson’s best abilities lie on the ground, having won 13 of his 29 wins by submission. His go-to weapon is the guillotine choke, which his thick arms and flawless technique facilitate. However, if a submission is not presented, he tends to use his strong wrestling base to control opponents from the top. He’s smart enough to avoid danger, but lately, he’s been proven vulnerable to rear naked chokes, getting caught in scrambles for position after sustaining damage on his feet. His best weapon is his experience on the canvas, which he uses to negate most submission specialists, and take advantage of fighters without his technique.

Sanchez, while not necessarily a submission specialist, uses the threat of them to keep his opponents unbalanced. One of the best scramblers in the game, Sanchez’s drive on the ground has won him the majority of his fights. When opponents give him a slight opening for reversal, he takes it. So far, his only kryptonite has been technical wrestlers, which only two of his UFC opponents have been (though one, Josh Koscheck, barely spent any time on the mat with him).

Ring Control

Sanchez has tempered his aggressiveness as he’s matured, but still likes to take the center of the Octagon and dictate the pace. If anything, his control is best asserted when he has dominant position on the ground and is throwing bombs from top position.

Stevenson tends not to be overly offensive, preferring to counter opponents and capitalize on mistakes. He’s encountered several foolishly aggressive fighters who try to shoot on him and end up submitted. Of course, his countering style works both ways—recently, the lightweight division’s best (Penn and Florian) have overwhelmed him early and stolen the win.

This area of the fight could be a significant advantage for Sanchez, if he has paid attention to Stevenson’s missteps. Sanchez’s ability to take control early in a fight could be a deciding factor in its momentum.

Conditioning

Both fighters are well-known for their conditioning, so this shouldn’t play a huge factor in the fight. Stevenson has gone the distance nine times in his career, and though he tends to resort to controlling his opponents on the mat when his gas gets low, he never quits. Sanchez’s conditioning is even more impressive, as he tends to keep a higher pace throughout a fight. To the end of his losing effort against Jon Fitch at UFC 76, Sanchez never stopped trying to fend the former Purdue wrestler off him, working for submissions at every step.

The “X” Factor

The elephant in the room for Sanchez is how the cut from 170lbs. to 155lbs. affects his conditioning. Most fighters make “test cuts” before they change weight classes, and Sanchez has undoubtedly done this. But the human body is often an unpredictable thing, especially when it comes to altering its composition. A fighter’s “natural” weight often evolves over time, after a long period of experimentation. Sanchez has stated his cut has been drawn out, not in bulk. He is also jumping time zones to fight in the UK—and a lot of strange things can happen to the body flying overseas. It’s doubtful that Sanchez has left anything to chance in his preparation, but the affect of the weight loss can’t be truly known until the fight.

For Stevenson, the “X” factor is how he’s feeling mentally about the fight. At 26, he’s had the career of two men, and the many ups and downs that accompany it. He’ll train hard for the fight, as he always does, but does he still believe in his abilities? He’s fallen short against the number one and number two fighters in his division—a win over Sanchez won’t end his career, but it may relegate him to UFC undercards for the foreseeable future. That’s a lot of pressure, and so far, his results under pressure have been mixed. Despite his decorated resume, he needs to prove himself like a rookie against Sanchez.

Keys to Success

For Sanchez, it’s to do what others have done—shock Stevenson early and scramble his way to a dominant position. The longer the fight goes, the more difficult Stevenson is going to be to put away. He will need to fend off takedowns, or time a knee as Stevenson shoots in. If he is able to stay on his feet, he will be able to pick Stevenson apart at range.

Stevenson needs to use his strong wrestling base to keep the original “TUF” winner on his back. He has the experience to stay away from submissions on the top, controlling Sanchez—the question is can he get there without taking damage in the process. He would do well to fight fire with fire, matching Sanchez’s aggression on the ground and looking for opportunities to hold the dominant position.

MartyMcFly
02-20-2009, 02:24 AM
I really do hope Sanchez mans up to his word, I really liked when he kicked ass.

Bubba Bronko
02-21-2009, 11:17 AM
UFC 95: BRIAN COBB UNFAZED AS LATE ADDITION
Thursday, February 19, 2009 - by Mick Hammond - MMAWeekly.com

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8197-Brian%20Cobb_Fight.jpg
The path to the top of any profession is rarely straight and predictable. More often than not, opportunities may arise in the most unexpected ways.

For lightweight Brian Cobb, finding his way to the Ultimate Fighting Championship proved to be unconventional.

Having spent the majority of his career in smaller shows, building his name up, Cobb had just come off a Palace Fighting Championship 155-pound title defense when out of the blue he received an offer to replace injured Justin Buchholz and make his UFC debut in just over a week all the way across the Atlantic at London’s 02 Arena.

Without a second thought, he said yes.

“I was kind of overwhelmed,” he said of the initial call to compete at UFC 95 on Saturday. “I had a bunch of stuff that had to get done. I had to get an eye exam, make sure all my paperwork was signed and sent back, and have basically been running around since (I got the call to fight), trying to get stuff done to make sure this can happen.

“The timing feels kind of God sent. I know it sounds really weird, but I just feel it was meant to be. I was training for a fight right around the same time, and camp-wise and opponent-wise nothing really changed. I’m grateful for the opportunity and the timing’s nearly perfect.”

Taking a fight on short notice is hard enough, but to travel from his native California all the way to London, England, one would think could cause Cobb all sorts of trouble, but not so says he.

“I’m flying out Monday, so I have plenty of time to recover and adjust,” stated Cobb. “I have sleep apnea and weird stuff, so I’ve got kind of a quirky schedule anyway, so it’s not really going to bother me too much.

“I’d rather get an opportunity to go to London and fight out there, fight somebody that lives there in their hometown and be the underdog and beat them, than not. If I’ve got to fly to the moon, I’ll take the chance.”

At UFC 95 Cobb will make his debut against veteran Terry Etim, who is rebounding with a win against Sam Stout last October after losing two fights in a row.

According to Cobb it really doesn’t matter who he fights, as his strategy never changes.

“We talked a little bit to the camp that was training for him before, and it feels like he fits into my style really well,” said Cobb of Etim. “I know background-wise he’s a good kickboxer, but surprisingly nine of his 11 wins are by submission.

“He’s pretty well-rounded. I’ll have to be cautious in certain places, but it’s pretty much the same game plan as I always have – stick to my strengths and keep him out of his comfort zone.”

Not to look past his opponent this coming Saturday, his goals for the future within the promotion are simple.

“It’s a four-fight deal with two being guaranteed, so the goal is to win both those fights, then win the third and fourth and be asked back,” he commented. “I’d like to potentially finish out my career (with the company), or remain in the UFC as long as possible.”

While things may not have gone exactly as planned for Cobb to make his way to the UFC, he’ll take what opportunities he gets and plans on making the most of it, anywhere he can.

“I want to thank Fairtex, Dirty Boxer, ClinchGear, Bakersfield Jiu-Jitsu, Battlebase Strength & Health, my family, friends and anyone else I may have forgotten,” he closed out. “I appreciate all the support and hopefully I’ll go over there and come back with a win.

“I know they’ll definitely be rooting for their hometown guy from Liverpool, but hopefully by when the fights over I’ll have won over some new English fans.”

Bubba Bronko
02-21-2009, 11:17 AM
UFC 95: SONNEN PLANS TO IMPOSE WILL ON MAIA
Friday, February 20, 2009 - by Mitch Gobetz - MMAWeekly.com

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8214-FilhoSonnen093WEC31.jpg
Chael Sonnen's path back to being a champion hasn't gone exactly to plan. When he fought in World Extreme Cagefighting against then-champion Paulo Filho, he was dominating him in all aspects. He was beating Filho up on the feet and dominating him with ground and pound. Towards the end of the second round, Filho caught Sonnen in an armbar. While it was evident that Sonnen grimaced in pain, the referee called a stop to the action due to a verbal submission. Sonnen completely disagreed and said he never verbally submitted.

He would have to wait almost a full year to get redemption. The Ultimate Fighting Championship had rumored to acquire the WEC's middleweight division after this fight, so this was Sonnen's chance at getting the gold before the merge. Unfortunately for Sonnen, Filho missed weight and the fight was downgraded to a three-round non-title fight. Once again, Sonnen dominated, this time winning a decision.

After the fight, Filho said he would send Sonnen the belt even though it wasn't on the line.

Filho lived up to his word. “He did,” said Sonnen recently to MMAWeekly. “He sent me the belt. It was a very nice gesture.”

Considering that Sonnen was the top dog in the WEC's middleweight division, a transfer to the UFC may hinder his chances to be the top contender considering some of the top tier talent in the UFC, like Thales Leites and Nate Marquardt. However, Sonnen is very happy to be back in the juggernaut of mixed martial arts promotions. “Yeah, it's great. Being with Zuffa (the UFC and WEC's parent company), it's a good organization. If this is the business you're in, you want to be there,” he explained. “Yeah, the UFC has definitely got the history and the tradition. I was thrilled.”

There was much speculation that the winner of the Sonnen/Filho fight would fight middleweight king Anderson Silva. Since Filho didn't make weight, that plan seemed squashed. “I heard it too and I thought that's what they were going to do. In my mind, I thought they were going to go in that direction, but I didn't have anything to base that on. When we saw that Paulo wasn't making weight, we asked Joe Silva that exact question before the fight even happened. At first, it made sense, champion versus champion. But after he didn't make weight, and the belt wasn't on the line, that option was off the table.”

Trying to climb the ladder of the middleweight division once again, Sonnen will be taking on rising contender Demian Maia who is 9-0 in his young career. The fight will take place Saturday night at UFC 95 in London. Their bout will be featured on the main card. “Some things are completely out of my control, like who my opponents are and where I'll be on the card. I could be fighting the same opponent and the powers that be could not put us on the main card. I don't know how those decisions get made. I was certainly happy with it, but I didn't care either way.”

Fighting a tough competitor like Maia provides invaluable experience. If Sonnen is successful in this fight, it could propel him right into title contention.

“Experience is always good,” said the Team Quest fighter. “Anytime you get in the ring with an opponent helps to prepare for bigger situations. All the guys are tough; whether you call him the champion, the contender or an unknown, they are all tough. I don't know if this specific opponent prepares me more or less, but it's a good opportunity. He's a big challenge with some incredible skills and a great record and that's always fun to see how you are going to deal with these different obstacles.”

Originally, Sonnen hadn't seen too many of Maia's previous fights. Now that he is going to be fighting the tough 31-year-old, he has done his homework. “I saw him fight Nate Quarry, but that was a pretty quick affair. I never saw the Ed Herman fight. I knew of him because I helped my teammates prepare for him. I had a feel for what he likes to do. I did get familiar with him now.”

Perhaps the biggest challenge that Maia presents to Sonnen is his world-class jiu-jitsu. Maia is not afraid to pull guard and find any which way to submit his opponents. Since Sonnen had just taken on Paulo Filho, another top jiu-jitsu practitioner, he feels he is prepared to dictate where the fight goes and make sure that he doesn't play into his strengths.

“If we're going to the ground, we're going to go where he wants to take the fight unfortunately,” said Sonnen. “I'm going to have to work around his schedule to see where the fight goes. I'm not going to try to turn this into a submission match and try to submit him or drop back for a leg lock. I'm going to have to do what I do. Land some shots when I can and stay active and work hard. I've got to go out there and impose my will. That will be the fight right there.”

Bubba Bronko
02-21-2009, 11:22 AM
UFC 95 WEIGH-IN RESULTS & PHOTOS (UPDATED)
Friday, February 20, 2009 - by MMAWeekly.com LIVE

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8217-30-SanchezStevenson_UFC95Weigh.jpg
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8217-27-HardyMarkham_UFC95Weigh.jpg
(Photos by Lee Whitehead)

EXCLUSIVE UFC 95 WEIGH-IN PHOTOS (http://photos.mmaweekly.com/gallery.asp?categoryid=6095)

Joe Stevenson welcomes Diego Sanchez to the UFC lightweight division on Saturday night when the two meet in the Octagon at the O2 Arena in London. They are the main event for UFC 95.

Neither fighter had trouble making weight on Friday, although Sanchez seemed ecstatic to make the 156-pound limit for their bout. It marks the first time the inaugural Ultimate Fighter winner has cut down to 155 pounds.

"(The) first 10 pounds came off easy, second 10 pounds not as easy," Sanchez commented recently.

Also on the main card, Nate Marquardt faces Wilson Gouveia and Chael Sonnen squares off with Demian Maia in two middleweight bouts that will propel the winners into title contention. U.K. fighter Dan Hardy throws down with former IFL fighter Rory Markham and top welterweight Josh Koscheck introduces UFC newcomer Paulo Thiago to the Octagon.

None of the fighters on the UFC 95 fight card failed to make weight. All 10 bouts will go on as scheduled.

UFC 95 Main Card Bouts:
-Diego Sanchez (156) vs. Joe Stevenson (155)
-Dan Hardy (170) vs. Rory Markham (170)
-Nathan Marquardt (185) vs. Wilson Gouveia (185)
-Chael Sonnen (185) vs. Demian Maia (184)
-Josh Koscheck (170) vs. Paulo Thiago (169)

UFC 95 Preliminary Bouts:
-Brian Cobb (155) vs. Terry Etim (156)
-Junior dos Santos (239) vs. Stefan Struve (240)
-Neil Grove (263) vs. Mike Ciesnolevicz (235)
-Evan Dunham (154) vs. Per Eklund (155)
-Paul Kelly (169) vs. Troy Mandaloniz (168)

Bubba Bronko
02-21-2009, 11:23 AM
UFC 95: PAUL KELLY JUST WANTS TO FIGHT
Saturday, February 21, 2009 - by Lee Whitehead - MMAWeekly.com

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8189-UFC89_PaulKelly_003.JPG
Paul Kelly comes into his UFC 95 fight with Troy Mandaloniz off the back of a disappointing encounter with Marcus Davis back in October 2008... and he is not happy about it.

“I just (expletive) up that night with him. I don’t know what was going through my head. I just didn’t come to fight in the way that I usually have. I got too caught up him being a southpaw, him having a record of beating the British guys on our home turf, and ultimately trying to fight his fight,” offers Kelly, clearly annoyed at himself for being drawn in.

With the loss came a deeper understand of his skills. “I should have just come out and fought my own fight, regardless of who the opponent is. I tried to bulk up as much as I can for Davis, hitting the weights hard because he was so big and then cutting. This time we are back to the old ways, the same as I was when I fought (fellow countryman) Paul Taylor.”

Following the loss to the Irish Hand Grenade, there were mumblings of Kelly making the trip to 155 pounds, but the announcement of his fight with Mandaloniz at welterweight appears to have scuppered that. What gives?

“It’s an option if I want to take it, but I walk around at 81kg (179 pounds) and find that as long as I can keep my bodyfat at 10-11% my weight is constant and manageable. I don’t have to sauna to make weight on fight day and I feel stronger and faster,” he explains.

But surely in a division stacked with guys cutting from 190 pounds walk around weight, any size advantage must help? Kelly doesn’t seem to think so. “I hear this kid walks around at 205 pounds, but (expletive) knows I don’t care. I have fought a guy at 93kg (205 pounds) before and spar all the time with Rampage and Cheick Kongo, so I don’t see him being able to throw anything like that at me. Everyone I spar with is bigger than me.”

Focusing on Mandaloniz and his third appearance in the Octagon on home soil, how does Paul Kelly think the fight will go? “I think he will struggle to make weight, that is for sure, but even if he does, I will be pushing the pace a million miles an hour for 15 minutes if I have to. I am strong, fit and fast – totally different to how I was when I was gearing up for Davis,” he explains.

He sounds confident and doesn't see anyway this fight goes the distance. “No way, I am going to put him to sleep in the second round.”

With a brief layoff to assess where he is in his training and what he wants for his future, Kelly appears to have found himself in a good position mentally to move forward in 2009. This sport is his home and he fully intends to be the best he can be, regardless of weight.

“I look around and it makes me realize, I have fought on smaller shows for not a lot of money and I had to work hard to get by, now I have found my place. I can actually provide for my family properly,” he says, knowing that as long as he trains hard and fights with all he has got – win or lose – he will always have a place in the sport.

“I have a hard head, big balls and good fitness, just let me fight.

Bubba Bronko
02-21-2009, 11:23 AM
UFC 95 PREVIEW: THE SUPPORTING CAST
Saturday, February 21, 2009 - by Ricardo Mendoza - MMAWeekly.com

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8213-23-MarquardtGouveia_UFC95Weigh.jpg

Dan Hardy vs. Rory Markham

British fighter Dan Hardy makes his UFC return as he faces off with IFL veteran Rory Markham. This is one of the more anticipated bouts of the night because both fighters fight at a quick and exciting pace. Expect the crowd to be at its loudest during this fight as they cheer their fellow countryman and jeer his opponent without mercy.

Both are brawlers on the feet, so the difference in the fight will be which fighter is better equipped to handle his opponent on the ground. Markham was getting lit up on the feet in his last fight before landing a devastating high kick, so he has to be smart and not get into a brawl with Hardy. He needs to stay on the outside and keep Hardy at bay with low kicks. Hardy will look to pressure Markham on the feet then take him to the ground and pound on him.

This fight is going to be an absolute brawl, as these two will be going toe to toe for fifteen minutes or until one them ends up unconscious. A loss for either fighter won’t set them back too much, while the winner of the fight will start to gain attention in a crowded UFC welterweight division.

Nate Marquardt vs. Wilson Gouveia

Former UFC middleweight title challenger Nate Marquardt continues his path to another title shot at UFC 95, as he takes on emerging middleweight contender Wilson Gouveia. This fight has serious implications. The winner will probably be in line for a shot at the UFC middleweight title. These two are fairly evenly matched, so expect a very competitive fight.

If the fight stays on the feet then a slight advantage would have to go to Marquardt, who is the more technical and powerful striker of the two. On the ground, Marquardt will have a definite advantage when it comes to wrestling, while Gouveia is the better submission fighter. Both are well conditioned, so these two are more than ready to go the distance.

The factor in the fight will be which fighter can control the pace. If the pace of the fight is quick, that benefits Marquardt. If the pace is slower, it will benefit Gouveia. Marquardt seems to have an advantage in every aspect in the fight, giving Gouveia fewer options to win. Gouveia’s best chance will be to catch Marquardt in a submission, while Marquardt can grind out a decision or finish the fight with strikes.

Demian Maia vs. Chael Sonnen

Highly touted middleweight contender Demian Maia faces off with the uncrowned WEC middleweight champion Chael Sonnen. This is an interesting fight because the winner will more than likely not be far away from getting a title shot and possibly cracking the Top 10 in the middleweight division. Although it’s a cliché in the sport, this is a classic wrestler versus grappler match-up.

It's fairly obvious that Maia has a huge advantage on the ground, being one of the best ground fighters in all of mixed martial arts today. Although Sonnen is a standout wrestler, it would be a mistake for him to take the fight to the ground because the risk is bigger than the reward. It’s a different story on the feet as Sonnen has the clear advantage with Maia still being relatively untested on the feet.

Sonnen had an excellent strategy in his last fight, using his wrestling to keep the fight on the feet where he was able to pick apart Paulo Filho with his better striking. He’ll need to use the same exact strategy against Maia. That will be his best chance to win. If the fight goes to the ground, then Maia will finish the fight with a submission.

Josh Koscheck vs. Paulo Thiago

Ultimate Fighter standout Josh Koscheck continues his path to a title shot as he faces UFC newcomer Paulo Thiago. Koscheck is coming off a devastating knockout of Yoshiyuki Yoshida, showing all the progress he’s made since coming off the original Ultimate Fighter. Thiago is a bright, undefeated prospect out of Brazil, but he is being thrown to the wolves in his UFC debut.

Koscheck has the clear edge on the feet with his crisp striking and on the ground with his superior wrestling. Thiago has shown that he is more than competent in submissions, but he might have a tough time against Koscheck, who has shown excellent submission defense. The key in the fight will be whether Thiago will get an opportunity to utilize his submission game.

Expect Koscheck to keep the fight on the feet because it’s a less risky option for him. If the fight hits the ground, Koscheck will need to stay on top where he can smoother the Brazilian. Thiago’s best opportunity to win the fight will be to somehow end up on top, where he can work for a submission. A win for Koscheck keeps him on a path to a title shot, while for Thiago a win would make him an instant contender in the UFC welterweight division.

Terry Etim vs. Brian Cobb

Standout British lightweight Terry Etim will look to get his UFC record over five hundred as he takes on late replacement Brian Cobb. Etim was originally scheduled to face Justin Buchholz, but Buchholz was forced out due to injury. Cobb takes the fight on about a week’s notice. Etim has the clear advantage on the feet with better striking and a long reach advantage. Cobb has the advantage on the ground with both better wrestling and submissions. If Etim can keep the fight on the feet then expect him to win, but if Cobb can get the fight to the ground then he’ll be in a strong position to win.

Junior Dos Santos vs. Stefan Struve

After making an impressive UFC debut, Junior Dos Santos returns to action to take on UFC newcomer Stefan Struve. Dos Santos is now being touted as a bright prospect in the heavyweight division, but this fight will prove whether or not he is a true contender or just a prospect. The fight is evenly matched, but Dos Santos has a slight edge both on the feet and ground because of his better training partners. The only thing that is certain in this one is that the fight will not go the distance.

Mike Ciesnolevicz vs. Neil Grove

In an interesting clash of UFC newcomers, late replacement Mike Ciesnolevicz faces off with the huge British slugger Neil Grove. Ciesnolevicz takes the fight on short notice and will be moving up in weight to heavyweight. Grove will have the advantage on the feet with powerful strikes and a huge size advantage, outweighing Ciesnolevicz by 30 pounds. Ciesnolevicz has the edge on the ground with his wrestling, but the huge size advantage might negate that. If Grove can keep the fight on the feet and use his size, he’ll win. But if Ciesnolevicz can get the fight to the ground, all bets are off.

Per Eklund vs. Evan Dunham

Swedish ground fighter Per Eklund takes on the undefeated late replacement Evan Dunham. Both guys are ground fighters, so whoever can push the pace on the feet will have the advantage. This will be Dunham’s UFC debut and that could play a factor, as he doesn’t have the experience that Eklund does. Whoever can end up on top on the ground will have the advantage because neither fighter has been tested off his back. A loss for either fighter could mean a return to the UFC might be a ways away in this day and age.

Paul Kelly vs. Troy Mandaloniz

Wolfslair Gym welterweight Paul Kelly faces off with Ultimate Fighter 6 participant Troy Mandaloniz. Kelly tasted defeat for the first time in his last fight, while Mandaloniz hasn’t fought in more than a year. Kelly has the advantage on the feet and on the ground, as he has a better training camp. The time off for Mandaloniz will also be a factor in the fight, as Kelly will surely be in his face right off the bat. If Mandaloniz can slow the pace of the fight, he’ll have a better chance to win, but Kelly is going to make that rather difficult in his return to action.

IanMazia
02-22-2009, 10:32 AM
I know some of ya'll make disagree with me, but I thought the Koscheck fight was stopped prematurely. It looked to me like after Koscheck got tagged and went down, he immediately pulled guard. That to me seemed like his head was still in the fight.

Bubba Bronko
02-22-2009, 01:12 PM
Solid card with some solid fights!

Bubba Bronko
02-22-2009, 01:14 PM
NATE LOOKS GREAT, MAIA STAYS PERFECT AT UFC 95
Saturday, February 21, 2009 - by Damon Martin - MMAWeekly.com

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8228-07-UFC95_MaiaSonnen_136.jpg
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8228-08-UFC95_MarquardtGouveia_274.jpg
The middleweights were on display at UFC 95 in London on Saturday night, as both Nate Marquardt and Demian Maia made impressive statements with victories over top competition on the event's main card.

Ever since losing to champion Anderson Silva almost two years ago, Marquardt has worked harder and harder with each fight to make his way back to another shot at the 185-pound championship. The Colorado resident took a huge step forward with a third round stoppage over American Top Team standout Wilson Gouveia.

Marquardt controlled the pace throughout the bout with crisp striking that Gouveia never seemed to time right, and the Team Jackson fighter did a good job of mixing up punches, kicks and knees to keep his stand-up fresh throughout.

Taking Gouveia down in both the first and second rounds, Marquardt showed a tremendous ground game to compliment his stand-up, as he was able to unload a barrage of elbows on the Brazilian, who could only defend and never threw any kind of submission attempt at the former "King of Pancrase."

It was the third round that saw Marquardt take over, as Gouveia started to look winded and Nate the Great took quick advantage. As the two exchanged strikes in the middle of the Octagon, Marquardt again mixed things up, throwing a beautiful flying knee that sent Gouveia flying backwards against the cage.

Knowing that his opponent was hurt, Marquardt absolutely opened up throwing a high kick, spinning back fist, another right hand, and a couple of knees that sent Gouveia to the mat for the last time in the fight as the referee stepped in to stop the punishment.

Now 7-2 in the UFC, Marquardt feels that it's his time to get back in the title hunt and he's gunning for the 185-pound champion.

"It's not going to be a rematch," Marquardt said about another shot at champion Anderson Silva. "Because the Nate you saw tonight is not the Nate that fought for the title. It's going to be my first time."

Demian Maia continued the undefeated streak in both his career and his time in the UFC as the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu champion made quick work for former top WEC middleweight Chael Sonnen, getting the win by triangle choke.

Sonnen did a good job early on, staying out of Maia's ground game, using his tremendous wrestling background to counter the Brazilian's takedown attempts. As Maia continued to stalk Sonnen, he eventually pressed the action against the cage where he was able to get an underhook on his opponent's arm and executed a brilliant throw and trip takedown.

Transitioning almost immediately while still holding onto the underhook on Sonnen's arm, Maia made a fluent move to lock on a triangle choke. The Team Quest fighter tried to maneuver his way out of the hold, but Maia tightened the choke and Sonnen was forced to tap out.

"I was surprised even because I put him down and he's such a good wrestler," Maia said after the win. "I just have the title in my mind. I think now I want the title shot. I want to show the world the jiu-jitsu."

With the win, Maia moves to 5-0 in the UFC and likely a bout in his near future against a top ten level opponent that will test how close exactly he is to title contention.

Bubba Bronko
THIAGO AND HARDY DELIVER KO'S AT UFC 95
Saturday, February 21, 2009 - by Jeff Cain - MMAWeekly.com

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8229-8225-09-UFC95_HardyMarkham_078.jpg
Heading into UFC 95 no one knew much about the Brazilian Paulo Thiago making his Ultimate Fighting Championship debut at the O2 Arena in London against top five ranked welterweight Josh Koscheck. But after a perfectly placed uppercut followed by a left hand, the world now knows who he is.

For Koscheck, he was working his way back to title contention, accepting fights often against anyone the UFC put in front on him. But his route back to No. 1 contender status was derailed at the 3:29 mark of round one.

The two circled early trying to set up that one big shot. Koscheck landed a few solid right hands, testing the chin of Thiago. The American Kickboxing Academy trained Koscheck appeared to be finding his rhythem and establishing his jab when Thiago stepped in with an uppercut - left hand combination that sent Koscheck crashing to the canvas. As Thiago dropped his hands in celebration, the referee stopped the fight.

Paulo Thiago improved his undefeated record to 11-0 and immediately became a force in the 170-pound division. An upset Koscheck didn't like the stoppage, but the replay showed he was knocked out and the referee made the right decision.

In other welterweight action, Dan Hardy delivered a counter-left hook knocking out Mileitch trained Rory Markham just 69 second into their match up.

When UFC matchmaker Joe Silva put together the Hardy and Markham bout, many thought it had the makings of a "Fight of the Night" candidate. It started slow with each feeling their opponent out, circling and working for an angle to attack.

Markham decided to push the pace and as he missed with a right hand, Hardy fired back landing a left-hook that knocked Markham out. Hardy followed Markham to the mat landing one more shot for good measure before the referee called a halt to the fight.

"No punching power, huh? He's known for his punching power and to be honest, I'm not really known for that," said the mohawked brit in his post-fight interview. "He's a very aggressive fighter and as he stepped in with that punch, I knew he'd be open and boom there it is."

UFC 95 FULL RESULTS:

-Diego Sanchez def. Joe Stevenson Unanimous Dec. at 5.00, R3
-Dan Hardy def. Rory Markham by KO, 1.09 R1
-Nathan Marquardt def. Wilson Gouveia by TKO, 3:10 R3
-Demian Maia def. Chael Sonnen by Submission (Triangle Choke) 2.37 R1
-Paulo Thiago def. Josh Koscheck by KO, 3.29 R1
-Terry Etim def. Brian Cobb by TKO, 0.10 R2
-Junior dos Santos def. Stefan Struve by TKO, 0.54 R1
-Evan Dunham def. Per Eklund by KO, 2.14 R1
-Mike Ciesnolevicz def. Neil Grove by Submission (Heel Hook) 1.03 R1
-Paul Kelly def. Troy Mandaloniz by Unanimous Dec. at 5.00, R3

Bubba Bronko
SANCHEZ WINS; NIGHTMARE REBORN AT UFC 95
Saturday, February 21, 2009 - by Ken Pishna - MMAWeekly.com

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8230-10-UFC95_0851.jpg
"This is my rebirth. I was on my way to starting a legacy back when I was 19-0 and this is my rebirth for that Diego legacy. Not only am I going to make a statement the way I look, I'm also going to make a statement the way I fight."

Those were the words of Diego Sanchez in the days prior to his fight with Joe Stevenson at UFC 95 on Saturday night in London, words that turned out to be prophetic.

Awarded the UFC 95 Fight of the Night at an event the did not fall short of contenders for such honors, it was still Sanchez that led the way throughout in front of 13,268 rabid British fans.

The fight began with a tide of excitement that didn't recede. Sanchez and Stevenson opened with some excellent stand-up exchanges, continuing to strike on their feet for the majority of the three rounds. But Sanchez began to take control early, being the more active and versatile striker.

Stevenson would continue to plod forward as the rounds wore on, but he never really varied his routine. He would press forward, firing in the straight right, but Sanchez was not an idle target, nor was he backpedaling.

As much as Stevenson pushed forward, it was Sanchez that would side-step, and cut angles, exploding back at Stevenson with much quicker and more accurate boxing combinations; continually throwing a powerful body shot-uppercut combination. Just when it seemed Stevenson could have timed Sanchez's combos, the Ultimate Fighter season one winner would shift gears, launching a jumping knee, or stepping out and firing a kick to the head.

This fight displayed a world of opposites to Diego Sanchez's early career when the Nightmare was a tangle of powerful wrestling and twisting submissions. Now the Nightmare comes in the form of lightening fast and pinpoint accurate boxing combinations, explosive jumping knees, and decapitating kicks to the head.

This was Sanchez' debut at 155 pounds, but it was painfully clear that he had not lost a step with the weight cut. In fact, he quite possibly gained a step, which adds a new dimension to the Nightmare.

Prior to the fight, Sanchez talked about the move to lightweight not being permanent, planning to move back up when he got older, and he reiterated that on Saturday night.

"(The move is) definitely permanent for now. I made the weight cut fine. It's permanent for now, when I'm in my thirties maybe I'll go up," he told Joe Rogan, probably stirring up a whole bunch of bad dreams for many of the UFC's other lightweight fighters.

"I'm here to do whatever the UFC wants me to do. If they want me to fight Kenny Florian, they want me to fight B.J. Penn, Sean Sherk, (expletive) if they want me to fight Koscheck or Fitch, I'll go up there and re-avenge those fights, too."

Bubba Bronko
02-22-2009, 01:15 PM
UFC 95 YIELDS $40,000 BONUSES IN LONDON
Saturday, February 21, 2009 - by Damon Martin - MMAWeekly.com

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8231-10-UFC95_0851.jpg
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8231-07-UFC95_MaiaSonnen_136.jpg
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8231-06-UFC95_0266.jpg
After another exciting event in England on Saturday night, the UFC handed down $40,000 bonuses to several fighters who performed above and beyond on the card.

UFC officials notified MMAWeekly.com of the bonuses shortly after UFC 95 at the O2 Arena.

The "UFC 95 Knockout of the Night" bonus could have gone to several different fighters. The card featured a whopping six bouts ending by way of KO or TKO. In the end, it was debuting Brazilian fighter Paulo Thiago who stunned the crowd with his first round knockout of perennial Top 10 competitor Josh Koscheck.

For his efforts, Thiago goes home with a win that puts him on the map and a $40,000 bonus.

The "UFC 95 Submission of the Night" landed in the pocket of Demian Maia, who upped his UFC record to 5-0 with a triangle choke win over former WEC top dog Chael Sonnen. Maia continues to climb the middleweight ranks while racking up his fifth submission win in the Octagon in as many tries.

Saving the best for last, the "UFC 95 Fight of the Night" went to main event competitors Diego Sanchez and Joe Stevenson who battled back and forth for three rounds while mixing in a few ground scrambles during their bout as well. Both fighters were rewarded with a $40,000 bonus for their efforts.

UFC 95 AWARDS AND BONUSES
(All awards include a $40,000 bonus for each fighter.)

UFC 95 Fight of the Night
– Diego Sanchez and Joe Stevenson

UFC 95 Knockout of the Night
– Paulo Thiago

UFC 95 Submission of the Night
– Demian Maia

thechampofchamp
02-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Really good fights, and finishes. Why MMA is such a great sport not many big names, or hype, but a good fight is a good fight. If ya missed it I suggest ya watch a replay it was free after all lol

Dr Pangloss
02-22-2009, 06:37 PM
one of the best ufc's i've seen in a while. Marquardt v Gouveia (sp?) was a great fight.

Lot of good fights in that one.

BABOON
02-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Surprisingly good event. Loved Sanchez at that weight. What a great fight.

red barraca
02-22-2009, 09:49 PM
sanchez great fight

IanMazia
02-22-2009, 10:15 PM
I know some of ya'll make disagree with me, but I thought the Koscheck fight was stopped prematurely. It looked to me like after Koscheck got tagged and went down, he immediately pulled guard. That to me seemed like his head was still in the fight.

No one wants to comment on the Koscheck/Thiago fight? I thought the stoppage would garner quite a discussion.

PJ BRAUN
02-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Surprisingly good event. Loved Sanchez at that weight. What a great fight.
Agreed, he looked great. He came out so Intense for this fight!

Sin Eater
02-23-2009, 02:47 AM
1.) Koscheck/ Thiago fight was called too soon. Koscheck was still intelligently defending himself.

2.) I hate it when Dan Miragliotta refs. That dude cannot ref at all.

3.) The Marquart vs. Gouveia fight was solid.

4.) Sanchez vs Stevenson was an awesome fight.

DaEagles
02-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Nate is definintely top 3 of favorite fighters with Cain and Kenny

Charles Kozeluh
02-24-2009, 01:02 PM
nate is a beast maybee the biggest 185lber in the biz