PDA

View Full Version : Gsp statement offers rematch; penn accepts

Bubba Bronko
02-12-2009, 12:55 AM
GSP STATEMENT OFFERS REMATCH; PENN ACCEPTS (UPDATED)
Friday, February 06, 2009 - by MMAWeekly.com Staff

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8133-StPierrePenn4162UFC94.jpg
Following a storm of controversy after his win at UFC 94, welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre (http://www.mmaweekly.com/new-ff.asp?ff=StPierre7) has released a statement regarding the recent allegations concerning his performance and the Vaseline incident involving his corners.

St. Pierre stated to MMAWeekly Radio on Wednesday that he is moving past this situation and simply looking to the future, and this will be the official statement from him to the world regarding the matter.

"George St. Pierre’s successful welterweight title defense at UFC 94 was the direct result of his disciplined preparation and skillful execution of a masterful gameplan. Any implication to the contrary would diminish the significance of what was perhaps the biggest fight in MMA history," the statement read.

St. Pierre (http://www.mmaweekly.com/new-ff.asp?ff=StPierre4) added, “I have never cheated in my life, and as my fans know, I am deeply committed to upholding the integrity of the sport. My entire camp and I have been completely open about what happened during my fight at UFC 94 – we have nothing to hide."

He went on to address the ritual that coach Greg Jackson attributed to witch doctor Steve Friend, who has worked closely with St. Pierre with an energy inducing technique. "One of my cornermen did use an energy technique to help with my breathing that involves rubbing my back. He’s also done this in my previous fights. If there was any Vaseline left on his hand after he put it on my face, it was unintentional, and I do not believe it made the slightest difference in the outcome of the fight.

"Of course it’s up to the UFC, but I would be happy to offer B.J. a second rematch," said St. Pierre. "I am confident the outcome will be the same."

The statement concluded with the camp focusing on the future. "Team GSP is currently enjoying our victory celebration and we will soon turn our attention and focus toward Georges’ next competitor – Thiago Alves."

Penn, on his official website, BJPenn.com, accepted St. Pierre's offer of another rematch, "To the untrained eye the grease might not look like much, but every grappler knows the effect that it has. Being able to apply your submissions and sweeps or just being able to hold on to your opponent to defend yourself from being hit is absolutely critical! ... I hereby accept George St. Pierre and Greg Jackson’s challenge for a fight in the summer 2009. Lets call Dana now and set it up."

With Alves patiently awaiting his title shot against St. Pierre, and Kenny Florian anxious for his opportunity at Penn's lightweight belt, another rematch between St. Pierre and Penn isn't likely to happen this summer, but the stage is being set.

Mr X
02-12-2009, 12:59 AM
lets go BJ lets go !!

fchris1
02-12-2009, 08:39 AM
lol if bj would actually train this time like he wants to win, he MAY stand a chance, I was rooting for him last time. If he gets slaughtered again i dont know what to think

BABOON
02-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Nobody in MMA currently bores me more than GSP, and I would give anything to see BJ win this, but it won't happen.

maxititer
02-12-2009, 11:46 AM
in most fights of UFC 94 those guys, who looks more athletic guys won, perhaps only in case of Machida, both guys were in similar physical condition, but Machida's counter attacks based style is nightmare.

ArcherJames
02-12-2009, 05:50 PM
A rematch will turn out the same way this last fight did. Nothing against BJ as I do like him and consider him very skilled but he needs to stay at light weight.

JamesWebb
02-12-2009, 06:50 PM
this is stupid. he is going to beat his ass even worse this time. BJ is a fucking punk and GSP is the man. This fight is a waste of time for GSP, this just goes to show that it is all about selling pay-per views and not about putting together great fights at the UFC.

KingDeathMetal
02-13-2009, 01:44 AM
No thank you, I don't want to see BJ actually die in the cage this time. Sorry BJ, stick to 155.

Big Tav
02-13-2009, 06:44 AM
I agree. GSP is better than BJ. I love BJ but he is a 155'er.

GYM RAT
02-13-2009, 08:12 AM
BJ looked sluggish going up a weight division. I agree he should stay at 155 no one can beat him there.

Mr X
02-13-2009, 08:21 AM
I cant wait till GSP fights Anderson Silva and gets his well looked after face mangled.

2manytoyz
02-13-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm a big fan of both but BJ's mouth just gets him into trouble. I await Penn vs Florian.

mr.genetics
02-13-2009, 10:55 AM
GSP is just going to run over BJ again and again no matter how many fights they do. I would like to see a GSP vs. Anderson Silva.

tommigunzzz
02-13-2009, 11:57 AM
BJ got wrecked. I think even if he does train the right way he would still lose.

Big Tav
02-13-2009, 11:59 AM
GSP is just going to run over BJ again and again no matter how many fights they do. I would like to see a GSP vs. Anderson Silva.

They would be a great fight!

PS I don't think GSP would get mangled at all Mr X. Show GSP some respect as he is truly one of the best out there today.

KingDeathMetal
02-13-2009, 12:59 PM
GSP would look better against Anderson than BJ looked against GSP, but as in the previous fight the size difference would be the big factor. It'd be exciting, but I don't see GSP overcoming it. To quote Joe Rogan, when a great small man faces a great big man, the great big man usually wins.

KingDeathMetal
02-13-2009, 01:00 PM
With that said, GSP is a natural 185er, and would do great against other natural 185er's. But Anderson is a natural 205er at this point, and could probably even go up to heavyweight if he really wanted.

mts
02-13-2009, 01:43 PM
With that said, GSP is a natural 185er, and would do great against other natural 185er's. But Anderson is a natural 205er at this point, and could probably even go up to heavyweight if he really wanted.

HAHA natural? the guy has gyno @ <6 BF the guy juices and it's laughable he said he never cheated in his life

mts
02-13-2009, 01:47 PM
http://mmafight.ca/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/georges-st-pierre.jpg

JustLuke
02-13-2009, 06:41 PM
holy shit he does have gyno!:eek:

I thought he looked pretty ripped for being a natty.

Big Tav
02-13-2009, 09:46 PM
OMG! A performance athlete using drugs! Who would have thought!

C'mon guys it hardly a surprise that a world champion combat athlete uses drugs.

Hittin
02-13-2009, 10:36 PM
I like GSP and BJ.

GSP is a huge 170 and BG is a average 155.

The main difference I saw in this fight compared to the first is GSP striking (mainly his hands) was 100x better and that has nothing to do with vasaline.

A rematch would be about as good as a Tito K. vs. Shamrock IV or a Franklin vs. AS III.

Mr X
02-13-2009, 11:30 PM
its hard to keep a guy in your guard or try any sweeps when hes back is greased.

hulkish808
02-14-2009, 12:28 AM
It's funny how most of these people who argue that the vaseline has NO effect on grappling/wrestling, probably has never tried it themselves.. I just have to laugh. Until you know how hard it is to take control from mount, you have no clue what you are talking about.

Go back and watch the fight, and tell me that BJ couldn't hold onto GSP to save his life. This probably frustrated BJ and his camp, probably why they threw in the towel after the 4th round. We're not talking about a chump from the corner learning Ju-Jitsu from a friend, we're talking about someone who won the Ju-Jitsu Championships in just a few years of training. Just natural, raw talent and dedication.

On the other hand, BJ did move up in weight class, and we all know that someone can't gain 15 lbs. of solid mass in a few months unless you have Godly genetics and are on the juice. BJ needs to take more time to get in condition if he wants to fight in the next class. At 155 he kills everyone there.

I have to give it to GSP, he killed the first round, but knowing that he can't face BJ on the mat, they had to resort to that. Besides, BJ's not the only one arguing about this. Do some research, you got guys like Matt Hughes, Sean Shrek, Jason Mayhem-Miller to name a few, who have complained about GSP being "greasy" before.

All I can say is, I'd like to see a 3rd match, no Vaseline involved, and settle the score...this time, it's not gonna be like Shamrock VS Tito.

Miles_Dyson
02-14-2009, 01:24 AM
HAHA natural? the guy has gyno @ <6 BF the guy juices and it's laughable he said he never cheated in his life

You misinterpreted what he was saying. When talking about combat sports w/ weight classes, "natural _insert weight class here_ 'er" means that the weight class limit is said fighter's "walk around" weight WITHOUT "cutting" down water weight to make a lower weight class. So, basically, on a day-to-day basis (or probably more accurately in this case:during training), GSP weighs around 185 pounds, and then sweats out 15 pounds of water weight the day before the fight so he can step on the scale @ weigh-ins @ 170 pounds.

It makes sense that someone would interpret the word "natural" that way on these forums though LOL. It IS a bodybuilding forum FFS!

btw, that's an old pic of GSP. I'd say he's put on @ least 5 pounds of LBM since then, and is possibly @ a lower BF%. He's got good genetics for staying lean thats for sure!

MartyMcFly
02-14-2009, 02:00 AM
in most fights of UFC 94 those guys, who looks more athletic guys won, perhaps only in case of Machida, both guys were in similar physical condition, but Machida's counter attacks based style is nightmare.

that's right, that's how I saw it too.

mts
02-14-2009, 09:29 AM
You misinterpreted what he was saying. When talking about combat sports w/ weight classes, "natural _insert weight class here_ 'er" means that the weight class limit is said fighter's "walk around" weight WITHOUT "cutting" down water weight to make a lower weight class. So, basically, on a day-to-day basis (or probably more accurately in this case:during training), GSP weighs around 185 pounds, and then sweats out 15 pounds of water weight the day before the fight so he can step on the scale @ weigh-ins @ 170 pounds.

It makes sense that someone would interpret the word "natural" that way on these forums though LOL. It IS a bodybuilding forum FFS!

btw, that's an old pic of GSP. I'd say he's put on @ least 5 pounds of LBM since then, and is possibly @ a lower BF%. He's got good genetics for staying lean thats for sure!

If he meant it in that way and you came he cuts 15 pounds of water then he's not a natural 170 either. So his statement "I never cheated" and him being "natural" are still bogus.
Yeah with his good genetics i'm sure he would be a thin 150.

Miles_Dyson
02-14-2009, 05:29 PM
If he meant it in that way and you came he cuts 15 pounds of water then he's not a natural 170 either. So his statement "I never cheated" and him being "natural" are still bogus.
Yeah with his good genetics i'm sure he would be a thin 150.

I'm a little confused @ that reply. I don't know what you mean by "not a natural 170 either". I wasn't claiming he is a natural 170. I'm saying his natural day to day weight w/o cutting water (eg. if he stepped on the scale right now) is around 185 pounds.

And yes, I think you're spot on with regards to guessing he'd be a lean 150 pounds w/o steroids. I'm a big GSP fan, he's my favorite fighter, but I agree with you that he is on something, even if its a minor dose.

Sin Eater
02-23-2009, 03:52 AM
And yes, I think you're spot on with regards to guessing he'd be a lean 150 pounds w/o steroids.

I disagree with you on a number of issues.

1.) Fighters typically want to remain in their weight class of choice, so those fighters who use steroids often rely on halotestin and cheque drops for added strength and aggression without a great increase in body weight.

2.) GSP is 5'10. He's not short, and he's got broad shoulders. Even if GSP is taking steroids, I doubt he'd 'shrink' to a body weight of 150.

Look at Diego Sanchez - in his recent fight against Joe Stevenson, he had to cut down to a body weight of 155. That wasn't an easy feat for Sanchez, yet Sanchez has a slighter figure than GSP. His shoulders are not as broad - his bone structure isn't as robust as GSP's.

thechampofchamp
02-23-2009, 09:25 PM
This will never happen, and if it does wont be for a long while. BJ is gonna lose his belt than hopefuly he drops off the scene while GSP continues to win and win, vaseline, roids and all.

Bubba Bronko
02-26-2009, 11:49 PM
ST. PIERRE FILES RESPONSE TO PENN'S ALLEGATIONS
Thursday, February 26, 2009 - by Damon Martin - MMAWeekly.com

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8262-StPierrePenn4089UFC94.jpg
Following the filing of a letter with the Nevada State Athletic Commission on behalf of B.J. Penn a few weeks ago, the camp around Georges St. Pierre has done the same. Head trainer Greg Jackson, cornerman Phil Nurse, holistic healer Steven Friend, and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu coach John Danaher, responded in kind to the Commission.

In the letter, Camp St. Pierre says they "vehemently deny any allegation as to the intentional and illegal use of 'grease' for Georges' benefit during UFC 94." The statement goes on in great detail, with supporting letters from St. Pierre's coaches, that it was his skill and training that made him the better fighter over Penn that night, not the application of Vaseline.

The controversy stems from cornerman Phil Nurse being seen between rounds using his hands to apply Vaseline to St. Pierre's face then placing them on the welterweight champion's chest and back. Penn's camp has alleged since the incident that the application of the Vaseline was done intentionally as to give St. Pierre an advantage over the Hawaiian, thus negating his guard game on the ground.

The filing by Camp St. Pierre talks in great detail about the breathing technique used by Mr. Friend that was implemented by Phil Nurse during the fight, and how this technique has been used in previous MMA fights, by other fighters as well.

Mr. Friend in his letter to the commission tells about his introduction to the sport of MMA by UFC president Dana White, and his work with previous athletes such as Randy Couture, using a similar breathing technique.

After witnessing St. Pierre's fight against Jon Fitch in August 2007, Mr. Friend noticed some problems with the Canadian's breathing during the bout and intervened with a technique to help him before and during the fight.

"After what I witnessed at the Fitch fight, I was adamant with George and his corner that this technique be implemented before and during the B.J. Penn fight," said Mr. Friend in his letter. "Consequently on the afternoon before the fight, I prepared Georges' corner, and in particular Phil Nurse, on how to administer this technique of rubbing the back correctly."

St. Pierre's lead Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu instructor, John Danaher, a Renzo Gracie prodigy, also stepped in to defend his fighter's position throughout the fight as well as pointing out that Penn has actually "never controlled an opponent from guard position in a way that led to the finish of the match, or even a decisive attack that turned the course of a match in his entire MMA career."

Danaher goes on to note the claims of Penn's camp that the UFC lightweight champion was unable to use his "rubber guard" game in the fight due to St. Pierre's alleged infraction. The Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu coach in the letter talks about the famed guard game developed by Eddie Bravo, and explains that while the "high guard" of B.J. Penn shows extraordinary flexibility and skill, "Mr. Penn is not a user of the rubber guard system."

In the end, the team of trainers stepping in for St. Pierre in this situation simply state that it was their fighter's training and skill set that got him past Penn that night, and not some form of cheating.

The closing of the letter to the commission states in response to Penn's claims, "we strongly believe that we have done nothing to violate Nevada State Athletic Commission rules, or to otherwise impugn the outcome of UFC 94, the integrity of the UFC, or the sport and that the letter constitutes nothing more than Mr. Penn's desperate attempt to protect his reputation and commercial value after being totally dominated by a superior athlete."

The letters were sent to Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer, who could bring both St. Pierre's and Penn's claims before the commission at a later date.

testboner
03-01-2009, 01:47 AM
http://mmafight.ca/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/georges-st-pierre.jpg

Equals--> Complete domination of BJ Penn. ;)

Swede
03-01-2009, 06:42 AM
Cant stand bj penn.
Im hoping for a rematch and GSP will fuck him up once again. Hopefully Hard.