PDA

View Full Version : Journal/Rants & Raves - Kelsey

figurefit09
09-14-2011, 07:01 PM
I am Kelsey! I am currently in college (Majoring in Exercise Science) and am an active competitor in the NPC figure division but looking to compete in physique in the upcoming 2012 season. I am new to this forum but I have recently been frustrated with lack of support from the collegiate community in my sport... Essentially not many other women my age are bodybuilding in my current location so it is difficult to get advice or a woman's point of view on training/diet/nutrition/everything! No one really understands (especially college students) how much time, dedication and blood, sweat and tears that I put into my training and lifestyle to achieve my desired goals.

I recently came off of training for a show in August and am looking to make great gains this off season. It will be my first off season seeing as how this past year was my first active competitive year. I had years of weight training prior to the shows but not structurally geared towards bodybuilding or aesthetic goals.

For my first journal post I would like to say hey to everyone on this forum and introduce myself as I have done. I hope to help out any one who needs info and also get help and a new insight from all you other women out there!

My current training split is Back, Arms, Legs, Shoulders... Haven't been able to work chest in a few weeks due to some previous shoulder problems and possibly due to a posterior deltoid strain. However, the Doc says I'm good to go as of last Friday and will should be back to benching in no time. I am also currently trying to devise a periodization regime for my trainer to prevent over training as a had problems with in contest prep. I am debating whether 4 weeks of heavy lifting followed by 2 weeks of lighter weight with higher reps is a good starting point? Anyone have any suggestions on what they have done in the past that has been beneficial to gaining lean mass (assuming one has the proper/adequate diet)?

stephaniewilles
09-14-2011, 07:34 PM
I am Kelsey! I am currently in college (Majoring in Exercise Science) and am an active competitor in the NPC figure division but looking to compete in physique in the upcoming 2012 season. I am new to this forum but I have recently been frustrated with lack of support from the collegiate community in my sport... Essentially not many other women my age are bodybuilding in my current location so it is difficult to get advice or a woman's point of view on training/diet/nutrition/everything! No one really understands (especially college students) how much time, dedication and blood, sweat and tears that I put into my training and lifestyle to achieve my desired goals.

I recently came off of training for a show in August and am looking to make great gains this off season. It will be my first off season seeing as how this past year was my first active competitive year. I had years of weight training prior to the shows but not structurally geared towards bodybuilding or aesthetic goals.

For my first journal post I would like to say hey to everyone on this forum and introduce myself as I have done. I hope to help out any one who needs info and also get help and a new insight from all you other women out there!

My current training split is Back, Arms, Legs, Shoulders... Haven't been able to work chest in a few weeks due to some previous shoulder problems and possibly due to a posterior deltoid strain. However, the Doc says I'm good to go as of last Friday and will should be back to benching in no time. I am also currently trying to devise a periodization regime for my trainer to prevent over training as a had problems with in contest prep. I am debating whether 4 weeks of heavy lifting followed by 2 weeks of lighter weight with higher reps is a good starting point? Anyone have any suggestions on what they have done in the past that has been beneficial to gaining lean mass (assuming one has the proper/adequate diet)?

Hi Kelsey!! Welcome to RX!!! The best place to be for support and information :yep:
I commend you for your dedication at such a young age!! It is rare indeed and most college students do not know what this lifestyle is like.

As far as workouts go, I say do what works best for you and sometimes that takes switching it up a bit. Sometime I'll be on a 6 day split and train everything seperate and super heavy or i'll do a four day a week and train a few muscle groups together with higher reps, Volume vs Volume its about the same either way.

The best advice I can give someone trying to gain mass is dont look at the scale too much. You will have to gain some fat. Just try to keep it to a minimum so your "on" season isn't quite so difficult. Stick to a higher calorie clean diet with only one/two cheat meals a week. I still do cardio in the off season to maintain my booty!!! lol So thats up to your discretion.

Just a few pointers. This is what works for me of course everyone is different. Good luck to you!! :)

figurefit09
09-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks so much for the tips and the warm welcome! I have found RX to be awesome so far! Everyone is so great and most everyone is able to give knowledgeable and informative answers to questions! Shoulders are my weakest link as far as my overall physique goes and I work them in as many different ways as possible. I'll go heavy sometimes, high reps sometimes, drop sets other times. I guess it is just consistently lifting over a long amount of time and with the proper diet that will get them there, it's just definitely frustrating!

I hope to post in this journal experiences that I have in the world of fitness and also learn about others experiences as well. I'll be posting recipes and things soon too!

The Prodigy
09-14-2011, 11:51 PM
YAY! Your here! Welcome to RX!

Post some pics! So you want to gain size? Lift heavy lady!

figurefit09
09-15-2011, 07:29 AM
WANT TO GAIN SIZE! Here are some pictures to give everyone an idea of where I am right now. I have come along way over the past few years, but it is nowhere near where I want to be. So, I've got lots of goals to work towards which will keep me busy which is good.

If anyone has any critiques or suggestions, I'm all ears to hit me with it!

shankuan
09-15-2011, 12:30 PM
welcome to Rx girl!

figurefit09
09-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the welcome! I noticed that you are from Jamaica... Is bodybuilding very popular there?

stephaniewilles
09-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Thanks so much for the tips and the warm welcome! I have found RX to be awesome so far! Everyone is so great and most everyone is able to give knowledgeable and informative answers to questions! Shoulders are my weakest link as far as my overall physique goes and I work them in as many different ways as possible. I'll go heavy sometimes, high reps sometimes, drop sets other times. I guess it is just consistently lifting over a long amount of time and with the proper diet that will get them there, it's just definitely frustrating!

I hope to post in this journal experiences that I have in the world of fitness and also learn about others experiences as well. I'll be posting recipes and things soon too!

You have been doing this for a year and muscle doesnt come easy so give yourself sometime to grow. From the pictures you posted you remind me of me at my first show, I think you look good but some areas I would work on is your shoulder cap, ab development and a bit more of a quad sweep. You have good structure and will do well. It can get frustrating but its all worth it for sure. I'm following along.... :yep:

figurefit09
09-16-2011, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the support and thanks for following! Yes, shoulders definitely need soooo much work and abs and quad sweep too of course. I was so nervous at my first show my posing went to crap, but next time I hope to do much better with that and also I will be more confident in my physique.

figurefit09
09-16-2011, 08:17 AM
So, being in college most kids eat at the cafe or the other crappy restaurants on campus, and my crappy I mean fries, hamburgers, fried chicken, salad doused in ranch, ice cream etc. No doubt, I'm sure the food is good but that's not what I eat, that stuff isn't food to me. So my roommates and friends usually give me crap about what I eat and that I take my lunch box if I'm gone anywhere over three hours. Does everyone make their meals for the week once a week or do you cook fresh everyday? Here's a look inside my college meal plan... the right side of the fridge is mine and the left is my roommates'.

stephaniewilles
09-16-2011, 04:29 PM
That pic is priceless haha!!!!

I always have my food with me....always!!!!
Between my husband and I we eat four chicken breast a day, a value pack really so we cook every other day. I cant eat veggies so I do potatoes which I either cut up and put fresh garlic and basil in crock pot or large pan in water or just pop in microwave for baked potato. Being in college I would assume cooking once a week would be the easiest thing to do right?? LOL
Don't get me wrong here but alot of that food you listed as not food, sounds realy good to me haha, I'm all about being healthy but like a good cheat meal from time to time too =)

stephaniewilles
09-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the support and thanks for following! Yes, shoulders definitely need soooo much work and abs and quad sweep too of course. I was so nervous at my first show my posing went to crap, but next time I hope to do much better with that and also I will be more confident in my physique.

Oh I almost forgot.....

I was so nervous my first show my lips were shaking hahahaha... I even stumbled a bit during quarter turns. The more times your on stage the better you will get and more confident you will get too. I would say when you decide to do a show pick 2 or 3 that are close together so you can really get a feel of being on stage. Plus its super fun. :yep:
Here's a pic of me at my first show....my posing was awful

figurefit09
09-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Today's workout...

I usually warm up with some high reps and light weight lateral raises just to get the blood flowing and get my shoulders used to the motions. I've had lot so of shoulder problems so I like to make sure they are especially good and warmed up.

1. seated hammer strength press 12 x 4, one drop set to failure
2a. standing lateral raises: 12 x4
2b. seated lateral raises: 10 x 4
3. single cable rear delt raises: 15 x 4
4. upright rows with kettle bell: 12 x 3, 2 drop sets to failure
5. standing EZ barbell press: 12 x 3
6. hanging leg raises to failure
7. machine crunch: drop set to failure

Today's recipe of the day...

French Toast Pancakes
Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp cold milled flax
- ˝ cup ground/blended oats
- 12 Capella flavor drops (French Toast flavor)
- 1 tbsp splenda
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 4 egg whites
Nutrition Facts
Carbs: 30 g
Protein: 30g
Fat: 8g
Calories: 278
Cooking instructions:
1. Grind/blend oats in food processor.
2. Put all ingredients into small mixing bowl in no particular order. Mix thoroughly until the mixture becomes of batter like consistency.
3. Then spray a small cooking pan with Pam (optional) to ensure your beloved pancake does not stick to the pan.
4. Cook on one side for 2 - 3 minutes or until you are able to flip and then cook for the reminder of the time. I have eaten these slightly undercooked and they are delicious, it gives the pancake a doughier texture, however, to avoid contraction of salmonella it may be in your best interest to cook the pancake thoroughly.
5. Remove from the pan and onto a plate.
6. I use the pizza cutter to then cut the pancake in french toast like dippers and enjoy with a side of Walden's Farm Syrup (sugar free AND calorie free).

And there you have it, a glimpse of a day in the life of...

figurefit09
09-16-2011, 06:13 PM
Haha yeah cooking once a week is the best way to go for me and I definitely like a cheat every now and then and it is definitely necessary for the body to not feel constantly deprived but I never want to lose sight of my goals! And I have to shop in bulk now and buy like huge packages of chicken, 7.5 DOZEN eggs at a time and crazy things like that but I wouldn't have it any other way!

Omgsh and the pic was much better than mine! My lips starting shaking too! That has never happened to me before I had no idea what was going on! Wouldn't have traded it for any other thing in the world though. I was so nervous and scared but didn't want to be anywhere else haha and i can imagine cooking for two is crazy! One guy I dated didn't really understand my competing which ultimately was why we broke up and since then I have found that dating people who understand and respect the sport or are in it themselves is essential!

figurefit09
09-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Staying on track in the "off season" can sometimes be hard. I never lose sight of my goal but I find myself getting more frustrated being able to make the gains that I want. I am of course a youngster to the sport and I know I need just some good quality time of heavy lifting but man let me tell you it is slow process haha so I like to find things that inspire me, books, mags, pictures, old video footage of the golden years and all kinds of stuff. Many of you are probably familiar with this poem but for those that aren't here it is...

The Squat Poem

THE SQUAT

Down this road, in a gym far away,
a young man was heard to say,
"no matter what i do, my legs won't grow"
he tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses , too
trying to cheat, these sissy workouts he'd do.

from the corner of the gym where the big men train,
through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain
where the noise is made with big forty fives,
a deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees.
a very big man with legs like trees.

laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack
chalking his hands and monstrous back,
said, "boy, stop lying and don't say you've forgotten,
the trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN'. "

By Dale Clark

katt981
09-19-2011, 07:57 PM
Lol great poem!

figurefit09
09-20-2011, 07:41 AM
How early in life/what age did everyone start getting into lifting?

katt981
09-20-2011, 11:05 AM
well, I haven't done a comp yet.. but I initially started at 20, then hit a roadblock (aka mentally abusive marriage) picked it up again around 32 after my divorce... on and off for a few years, but the last 14 years I have hit it hard with my husband! He's got the passion like me, so it makes it pretty sweet!

stephaniewilles
09-20-2011, 04:52 PM
How early in life/what age did everyone start getting into lifting?

I used to workout in the garage with my dad when I was 13, didn't do much but he lit the lifting fire under my bumm!! I credit him for it. I even took weights in highschool. I was the only girl in there. lol. I didnt start competing until I was 30. Spent my whole 20's getting married, having babies and getting divorced lol!!!!!!

Thanks for the recipes, I save them for the offseason!!! :yep:

figurefit09
09-21-2011, 08:57 PM
That's awesome! I wish my dad was into working out like I am, he likes mtn biking but I have just recently gotten him into the gym on the machines!! lol

So does anyone have any ideas on how to train around injury? Ive been having shoulder problems and I've had surgery four years ago and going to the doctor this week for another MRI, ay ideas on any types of training I could do just to stay moving?? I know cardio isnt necessarily our friend for putting on muscle but right now i just need to be doing SOMETHING!

stephaniewilles
09-22-2011, 06:50 PM
I say do what you can, listen to your body, after your mri results then decide what you can do and go from there. every person is different and so is every injury so you may want to do a bit of cardio, maybe a zumba class to make it fun if you cant lift.
One time I hurt my elbow and couldnt do any upperbody wo's for 3 weeks so i did legs twice a week and abs once a week and cardio on the other days, that way I was still keeping up with everything else and didnt fall to far behind. I gave my elbow plenty of time to heal by not lifting upperbody at all for awhile, but like I said everyone is different....best of luck on that mri, keep us posted on the results!!!

figurefit09
09-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Thanks so much for the support! Its been a rough week, i will have my MRI next wednesday (first available appointment unfortunately) and i will keep you posted. I have been able to do core, and i think i will split my legs up into hams/glutes and quads another day or something, anything to keep me sane haha. Also lost a fellow bodybuilder this week, my coach's husband, so it has been a bumpy ride.

stephaniewilles
09-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Thanks so much for the support! Its been a rough week, i will have my MRI next wednesday (first available appointment unfortunately) and i will keep you posted. I have been able to do core, and i think i will split my legs up into hams/glutes and quads another day or something, anything to keep me sane haha. Also lost a fellow bodybuilder this week, my coach's husband, so it has been a bumpy ride.

Sanity is key :hypno: LOL

So sorry to hear of your loss. Thinking of you and hoping for a better week!!:)

figurefit09
10-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Thank you so much! It has been a rough past few weeks, I had to have an MRI on my shoulder a week ago and got the results back yesterday! Thank the lord the MRI showed no soft tissue damage of any kind and that it must just be a bad strain of some sort. So i am cleared to be able to train again and am meeting with the physical therapist once tomorrow to learn some strengthening techniques for my rotator cuffs. So recovery is in progress which is great. I have seriously missed my weights SO BAD! I kept doing legs and cardio and abs and calves but boy does that get old real quick!

May have to extend my off season loner than i had intended to make the changes to my physique that I want to accomplish but I think that is fine considering I had an injury and I want to make dang well sure that my shoulder is good to go for life before I do another show. I can't afford to not be able to lift because well it keeps me SANE!

stephaniewilles
10-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Well thats great news!! Ease back into it, listen to your body and you'll know when its time to do a show.

Glad things are looking up :)

figurefit09
10-11-2011, 10:56 AM
THanks so much! I really appreciate the support throughout! It has been a bumpy ride and I'm sure there will be challenges in the future too but things like RX and the forums here really keep me going! How is your training coming along?

stephaniewilles
10-11-2011, 05:59 PM
THanks so much! I really appreciate the support throughout! It has been a bumpy ride and I'm sure there will be challenges in the future too but things like RX and the forums here really keep me going! How is your training coming along?

Happy to help!! Hope your ride gets smoother!!! :hugme:

Training is great, I"m ready, like could get on stage in a week and be good to go. But I have 5 weeks and 4 days left lol!!

Hungry...very very hungry!!! :drool:

figurefit09
10-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Oh gosh i know the feeling! Hang in there girl! What show are you doing?

stephaniewilles
10-13-2011, 05:31 PM
Oh gosh i know the feeling! Hang in there girl! What show are you doing?

I'm doing Nationals in Miami November 18&19 :yep:

figurefit09
10-24-2011, 08:19 PM
You go girl! That is sooo soon!!! Be sure to post pictures! I wish you the best of luck!

figurefit09
10-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Finally getting back into gear with training from recovering from my shoulder injury/problem. Been incorporating rotator cuff exercises into my training which I shouldve been doing for years. Im only 20 so too young to be having any kind of training debilitating injuries! And that goes for us all athletes.

So, here was todays back workout:

1. seated dual cable row: 15 x 2 (warm-up), 12 x 3
2. reverse seated dual cable lat pulldown: 12 x 4
3. Hammer Strength high row: 15 x 2, 12 x 2
4. Hammer Strength low row: 12 x 4
5. seated machine neutral row: 12 x 4
6. hyper extensions: 15 x 3

I don't put my weights on here only because I feel like pretty much everyone's weight is subjective to that individual person so these point of me posting is more for routine ideas or suggestions rather than weight. Usually I like to incorporate more free work such as dumbbells and barbell rows, etc however my shoulder is not up for the heaviness yet so I do exercises that I feel i have more control over such as machine work.

figurefit09
10-31-2011, 04:43 PM
Feeing fat today... I believe we all have days like this. I haven't eaten any Halloween candy which is good, but I don't really like candy anyways so i don't really consider not eating any type of accomplishment haha soo I will post this picture of myself from pre-contest to motivate myself...

figurefit09
11-01-2011, 10:39 AM
I have also started a blog on another site called blogspot. Here is the link for today's blog and yesterday's blog which has a Halloween inspired circuit workout and a recipe treat! and I hope everyone will follow some of these posts. I hope to most many recipes that I will also post here and many workout ideas

http://kelsey-joyce.blogspot.com/2011/10/have-hulk-healthy-halloween.html

http://kelsey-joyce.blogspot.com/2011/11/how-to-stop-november-nonsense.html

The Prodigy
11-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Girl remember that you can post the same thing here that you do on your blog! Some people will read it here, some there...etc......

Especially recipes! We all LOOOOVE recipes!

figurefit09
11-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the tip, I will post them now!! I have some yummy recipes so definitely check them out!!

figurefit09
11-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Upon request, some yummy recipe treats... These are two of my favs besides the french toast pancake but many more recipes to come !

The Recipe: Post-Workout Pumpkin Pizazz

(Makes 4 servings)

Ingredients:
1 large can pumpkin (plain)
2 -3 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
4 scoops Vanilla whey protein
3 - 4 egg whites

Cooking Instructions:
1. Mix all ingredients into a bowl except for the old fashioned oats.
2. Put mixed ingredients into a bake-safe dish.
3. Top with the old fashioned oats (creates crust on top).
4. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes on 350 degrees.
5. Remove from oven and let cool.
6. Enjoy!

Nutrition Facts (approximated):
Calories: 272
Protein: 32g
Carbohydrates: 27g
Fat: 4g

Blueberry Cinnamon Oatmeal
Ingredients:
- ˝ cup oats
- 12 Capella drops (Blueberry crumble flavor)
- 1 tbsp splenda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 egg whites
Nutrition facts:

Cooking Instructions:
1. Mix all ingredients into a microwave safe bowl in no particular order.
2. Let sit over night to allow the oats to soak up the egg whites.
3. Put into the microwave for 2 minutes to ensure egg whites are throuroughly cooked.
4. Remove from microwave and enjoy.

figurefit09
11-04-2011, 12:51 PM
I'm sure most of you ladies know about Walden Farms products but I have recently discovered another brand that has the same calorie free/sugar free products. It is called Green Valley Ranch and you can find the products at http://gvrfood.com/ They have a few different flavors and what not and the prices are relatively the same. Netrition.com also carries the products and I think may have them for slightly cheaper. Just thought I would share this with you all!! Have a good Friday and weekend!

Oh and today's Back workout
1. Hammer Strength low row: 15x2 (warm up), 12 x 4, 1 drop set to failure
2. Hammer strength high row: 20 x 1, 15 x 2, 12 x 2, 1 drop set to failure
3. Close grip pull down: 12 x 4, 1 drop set to failure
4. Straight bar seated cable rows: 12 x 4

Only used 4 lifts today but went HEAVY and concentrated on getting a killer contraction in the lats! Killer workout good pump!

stephaniewilles
11-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Holy cow,

I'm so trying these recipes as soon as I get back from Miami!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!!:yep:

katt981
11-04-2011, 01:52 PM
I just love that combo of oats and fresh blueberries... it's so good! The pumpkin pizzaz looks great!

figurefit09
11-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Glad you ladies are enjoying the recipes! So i made a new one this past week and it was fabulous, not following any recipe just got some crazy ideas to do it and it turned out great! I usually had it for a midday meal because of the carbs but please try it out and enjoy!!

Chicken Parmesan
- 4 -5 slices of Ezekiel bread
- 1-2 packs of thinly sliced chicken breasts
- 2-3 tbsp Mrs. Dash Italian Medley Blend
- 1 tbsp Vegan Parmesan cheese
- 3 egg whites

Cooking Instructions
1. Grate the bread (works best is you grate it when the bread is frozen) to make bread crumbs.
2. Mix fresh made bread crumbs with the Mrs. Dash and Vegan Parm. cheese in a bowl.
3. Put the egg whites into an additional bowl.
4. Dip the thinly sliced chicken breasts in egg whites and then coat with the homemade bread crumb mixture
5. Put the dipped/coated chicken breasts on a sprayed cookie sheet.
6. Bake in the oven on 350 degrees or until golden brown.
7. Wah-la! homemade, healthy, chicken parm!
8. If you want tomato sauce with it, I leave it up to you to find the one that you like best!

Enjoy everyone!

figurefit09
11-08-2011, 01:44 PM
So this past weekend I was attending a local bodybuilding competition to support many friends who were competing. I love these shows but I am a competitor so it is probably quite different for me opposed to the average individual. However, I was fortunate enough to be in attendance at this particular show because I was able to see how bodybuilding can change lives and lead to the betterment of someone’s life. The announcer was calling out the bodybuilders for the line up at the night show when he began speaking a little bit about one of the gentleman and his story. This gentleman was in the Master’s division and walked out with a slight limp. They announcer went on to say that this man had recovered from neck down paralysis and is now an active competitive bodybuilder!! Did he just say neck down paralysis! WOW! What an inspiration! There are professional bodybuilders yes, but this man was greatness if I had ever seen it before. Overcoming such a tragedy as neck down paralysis is an amazing feat in and of itself, and to continue on to become a bodybuilder, well that is simply incredible. I was at a loss for words and all I could do was stand up and clap.

So today, and hopefully for the rest of your life, like this gentleman, you will fight for what you want, fight for what you believe and fight for your life. I take great inspiration from people who have overcome such hardships and I thought I would share my story with you all too. Inspiration from victory is one thing, but inspiration from hardship is another. I also have a picture that I would like to share, I am not sure of the story behind the photo, however, I am sure the picture is telling enough.

katt981
11-08-2011, 01:58 PM
amazing story! Thanks for sharing!

The Prodigy
11-08-2011, 03:36 PM
WOW! I love stories like this! Makes me re-think the importance of life!

stephaniewilles
11-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Wow, absolutely amazing!!!

Just goes to show, you can do anything if you want it bad enough!!!:yep:

figurefit09
11-08-2011, 05:48 PM
That's right!

You are about two weeks out from showtime right? how is everything coming along??

figurefit09
11-14-2011, 05:19 PM
New recipe coming at you. So sometimes I get bored with the same ole food day in and day out. However, in trying to reach my goal I still want/need to eat clean so the ability to change ingredients is limited. This week I had cooked sweet potatoes amongst many other things such as chicken and broccoli (no secrets here). I got to thinking about the sweet potatoes and wondered if I could make a pancake with them. Like a good pancake, not a dry gross diet pancake, a REAL good pancake. Well with this recipe I was definitely pleased…

Sweet Potato PANCAKE

1 scoop vanilla whey (Myofusion)
1 egg white
6 oz sweet potato (baked and then skin removed)
1 tsp cinnamon

1. Puree sweet potato in a bowl by using a fork to whip the sweet potato.
2. Mix in the protein powder, cinnamon, and egg white.
3. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
4. Heat small pan on stovetop and spray with cooking spray prior to adding your batter.
5. Pour batter in the pan and let cook. Careful not to burn. Because the sweet potatoes have small amounts of sugar you can easily get a black looking pancake but not to worry it doesn’t taste bad and your pancake is still good, but to avoid blackness cook on lower heat and flip as soon as possible.
6. Plate and serve! Enjoy with plain or with your favorite sugar free syrup!

figurefit09
11-14-2011, 05:23 PM
Monday's Arm Workout

1. Machine seated Bicep preacher curl: 2 warm ups set RP 20 reps, 4 working sets 12 -15 reps
2. Seated DB hammer curls: 15 x 4, 1 drop set to failure
3. BB curls: 12 x 4, 2 drop sets to failure
4. Single tricep rope press down: 15 x 4, 2 drop sets to failure
5. Machine seated press: 12 x 4 w/ RP
6a. cable kick backs: 10 x 4
6b. dips: as many as you can do x 4

Crazy pump woohoo! Let these pipes GROW!

figurefit09
11-16-2011, 08:33 PM
So I can tell my body has started to plateau with gains and quite frankly I'm very frustrated in this regard. I eat what I'm supposed to and kick my damn ass in the gym and my body comp stays the same. I've dropped back on the cardio and only doing a few times a week if that.

Trying to change up my training and see if that helps but I've been lifting for about 4 years and lifting to compete for about 2. If anyone has suggestions for ways to change up diet or training to help with a plateau I'm all ears!

figurefit09
11-18-2011, 08:32 AM
An oldie but a goodie! I love these old photos!

figurefit09
11-18-2011, 12:51 PM
I'm sure all of you gals know about Food For Life and the Ezekiel breads they make. However, I was unaware that they had so many different things! Our local organic store just got in Ezekiel pita bread, Ezekiel tortillas (two sizes), Ezekiel english muffins and some loaves that are different flavors. If you didn't know about this either you should definitely check it out! Just thought I would share some info!

figurefit09
11-18-2011, 12:57 PM
Freaky Friday Leg Workout

1. warm up with some leg extensions 20 x 3
2. Smith machine squats: 15 x 2, 12 x 4, 2 sets of 1 1/2 reps
3. Hammer Strength seated hack squat: (heavy as s**T) 8 x 5
4. seated leg curl: 12 x 4, 1 drop set to failure
5. lying leg curl singles 6 then doubles (w/ weight increase) for last 6 reps of set x 4
6. single hack squats: 12 x 3 L/R

Quadzilla!!!!

figurefit09
11-22-2011, 10:00 AM
Spicy Lettuce Wraps

Ingredients:
- 99% lean ground turkey
- 1 head of lettuce
- Mrs. Dash Southwest seasoning
- diced onions and peppers (optional)

1. Cook ground turkey in a skillet and add seasoning while cook. Cook until done. Cook in veggies if you are adding these to your dish.
2. Remove outside layers of head of lettuce. Wash inner layers and use individual leaves as wraps to put the turkey and veggies in.
3. Enjoy as a wrap. Simple but so good while dieting!

The Prodigy
11-22-2011, 06:52 PM
So I can tell my body has started to plateau with gains and quite frankly I'm very frustrated in this regard. I eat what I'm supposed to and kick my damn ass in the gym and my body comp stays the same. I've dropped back on the cardio and only doing a few times a week if that.

Trying to change up my training and see if that helps but I've been lifting for about 4 years and lifting to compete for about 2. If anyone has suggestions for ways to change up diet or training to help with a plateau I'm all ears!

Are you working with a diet guru at all? How do you currently lift?

figurefit09
11-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Working with a coach for my training and just kinda doing my diet myself... Boo. I Lift 4/5 days per week, M. Arms, T. Shoulders, W. Off, T. Back, F. Legs, S. Shoulders (light), and S. Off. Can't do chest right now do to some previous shoulder injuries. Should i drop my cals a bit and cut out the cardio completely for this off season? I ended up doing two 45 min sessions last prep comp and that was TERRIBLE to say the least and I feel like that in joint with the low low low cal diet really f'ed up my metabolism...

As far as my diet goes I'm between 1500 - 1700 cals per day with Carbs: 100 - 125g, Fat: 30 - 45g, Protein: 180+ grams. I feel like i have gained weight which coming off of two shows is not surprising. However, I feel like I have leveled off and I'm not sure if this is good or bad thing. I have cycled carbs so sometimes on my off days I will drop carbs down to 75g and then back up to 120 on heavy days. I have experimented with 120+ carbs per day and I just cant seem to sit still which creates problems when I'm in class.

I've been looking at Palumbo's keto and some other diets but I'm not sure if i would benefit from that in the off season or what. Really open to any suggestions that you have !

figurefit09
11-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Today's breakfast

figurefit09
11-26-2011, 11:14 PM
The Black OUT Friday - Leg Workout

** This was a lighter workout than normal but higher reps than normal... Don't toss your cookies!

1. leg extensions: 20 x 3 (warm up), 15 x 3, 1 drop set to failure
2. incline leg press: 20 x 5, 50 x 2
3. Seated leg curl: 15 x 4, 35 x 1, drop set x 1
4. Hack squat: 20 x 4
5. Lunges w/ 1/2 bounce per step: 24 x 4
6. Seated leg curl singles: 12 x 4

figurefit09
11-27-2011, 08:43 AM
Sunday Morning Breakfast

Off day from the gym so usually drop my carbs down a bit on my off days. And today for some reason just didn't feel like cooking so grabbed a pack of tuna and avocado. Just a side note, I bought Florida Avocados this time... They are insanely large and one made about eight 2oz servings of avocado, its way cheaper, and they taste just as good or better.

figurefit09
11-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Had some hiccups with the shoulders but they seem to be coming back around now! Can't wait to get boulders for shoulders! Currently hitting them 2 days a week once on Tuesday and once on Saturday. Usually some variation of shoulder press (DB, barbell, machine), then lateral raises, and rear delts. Usually one workout is heavy and the other light and high reps. From week to week I will vary which part of the shoulder i start with i.e. posterior, middle or overall shoulder. Every other workout I add in an anterior delt exercise at the end of the workout. Does anyone have any suggestions for growth of the deltoids???

figurefit09
11-30-2011, 08:50 AM
Hello ladies, and gents if any are reading... I wrote an article about stiff-legged deadlifts that I believe you all would appreciate and enjoy reading! So here is the link!

http://kelsey-joyce.blogspot.com/2011/11/stiff-legged-deadlift.html

stephaniewilles
11-30-2011, 05:26 PM
So during your offseason are you trying to gain overall muscle size or just gain in certain areas like legs and shoulders?? You should expect to gain some weight esp if your wanting to gain size. If you want to gain leg size I highly recommend splitting them into hams one day then quads and glutes another. Throw in calves wherever. Your protein seems high enough but your carbs and fat seem super low to me for an off season diet.

Fyi....I have copied all your recipes lol I will be trying them soon :yep:

figurefit09
11-30-2011, 06:49 PM
So during your offseason are you trying to gain overall muscle size or just gain in certain areas like legs and shoulders?? You should expect to gain some weight esp if your wanting to gain size. If you want to gain leg size I highly recommend splitting them into hams one day then quads and glutes another. Throw in calves wherever. Your protein seems high enough but your carbs and fat seem super low to me for an off season diet.

Fyi....I have copied all your recipes lol I will be trying them soon :yep:
I need to gain over all size, however, Specifically looking to gain size in my shoulders, arms and back. My legs actually over power the rest of my features so I'm working really hard on bringing my shoulders and back out wider, etc.

And so glad you are enjoying the recipes! There will be many more to follow!

stephaniewilles
11-30-2011, 07:51 PM
I need to gain over all size, however, Specifically looking to gain size in my shoulders, arms and back. My legs actually over power the rest of my features so I'm working really hard on bringing my shoulders and back out wider, etc.

And so glad you are enjoying the recipes! There will be many more to follow!

Gotcha...Wide grip pull up baby!!!

Correction on the fat content, I didnt mean to say that. I think your fat is ok, I'm running about 40 grams as well but my carbs are up around 200 grams and 170 grams protein.

For shoulders if you can handle it with your injury I always do 2 shoulder press exercises, like a hammer press then a dumbell or two machines back to back and doing one single arm. So like 8 sets of just press as heavy as you can with a total of 20 or 22 sets of shoulders, that includes traps tho so probably 18 for you. Just a suggestion :)

Yes keep them coming, I love those recipes

figurefit09
12-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Thanks so much for the suggestion! I am gonna do this on my shoulder workout Saturday! I will let you know how it goes! Thanks so much for your input!

Also, about the carbs, I have been keeping them between 100 - 130 give or take a few grams because I have found when i keep them over 150 I like cant sit still in class! I guess my body is very carb sensitive. So i will gradually bring them up so my body gets used to it in time. I guess coming off of the last two shows and being on such low low low carbs and then cycling carbs at the end, now that im loading carbs into my body, its just like WOAH what do i do with these, and I end up storing them as fat :/

figurefit09
12-02-2011, 04:54 PM
I guess these are the idiots who have been texting in the gym.. hahaha thought all of you would get a kick out of this!

figurefit09
12-03-2011, 08:31 AM
So yesterday I made bison slider burgers and had them on ezekiel bread.. If you havent tried bison you are seriously missing out! Its like a leaner better more awesome version of beef. I think my stomach really needed a change so I got crazy and went out to get some bison. It's not cheap but 1lb made two 6oz servings so not bad for two meals on Friday or Saturday as a treat!

Also, I wanted to list a few bands on my playlist recently and wanted to know what you all have been listening to lately and what are some of your favs...

Here's my list:

Asking Alexandria (Dubstep Remix)
Killswitch Engage
Mac Miller
Bassnectar
Girl Talk
Papa Roach
Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Devil Wears Prada
Automatic Love Letter

Little bit of everything, what do you guys/gals like?

figurefit09
12-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Sometimes I like to start my day off with a little cardio and then food prep for the next few days. Today I got creative and whipped up a ton of new recipes on the fly! They turned out amazing so I thought I would share all three of them with you this morning.

Recipe #1 - Sweet Mexican Tilapia

Ingredients:
- Mango Peach Salsa
- 1 ˝ lbs tilapia
- lemon juice
- black beans 1 can
Directions
1. Get a bake safe rectangular dish to put the fish in.
2. Put the fish in this dish with a dash of lemon juice in the bottom. (this is preference but I have found that it keeps the fishy odor to a minimum and also doesn’t allow the fish to dry out).
3. Atop the fish put however much Mango Peach Salsa that you would like.
4. Also for a little extra kick I added Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle spice on top.
5. Bake on 350 degrees for 25 – 30 minutes
6. Plate with black means and additional salsa.

Recipe #2 – Almond Crusted Chicken

Ingredients
- handful of plain dry roasted almonds
- 1 ˝ lbs chicken
- 1 packet Justin’s maple almond butter
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- lemon juice
- 4 tbsp water
Directions
1. Use bake safe dish to cook the chicken in.
2. Place chicken in bake safe dish with a dash of lemon juice in the bottom (keeps the chicken from drying out too much).
3. Now mix in a separate small bowl all the other ingredients. This makes a sauce that you can now pour over your chicken.
4. Blend up the dry roasted almonds in food processor and drizzle over the coated chicken.
5. Bake on 350 for 25 – 30 minutes.
6. Plate and server with favorite veggies and glass of water!

Recipe #3 – Broccoli Egg Bake

Ingredients
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup broccoli
- ˝ red/yellow peppers
- 1 tbsp feta cheese (reduced fat)
- 1 – 2 tbsp low fat Mexican mixed cheese
- cooking spray
- Bake-able bowl (example: Corning Ware)
Directions
1. Spray bake safe dish with cooking spray.
2. Crack egg whites into a bake safe dish.
3. Pre-steam the broccoli so that it is soft and easy to cut up. I usually just toss it in the microwave in a covered glass dish so its easy to steam.
4. Chop or mash up proccoli and add to the eggs in the bake safe dish
5. Also add the peppers and feta cheese.
6. Stir up these ingredients and top with the 2% Mexican mixed cheese (optional).
7. Bake on 350 for about 15 minutes.
8. Ready to eat when comes out of the oven! BE careful though its HOT!

Hope you all enjoy these recipes today!

katt981
12-08-2011, 11:04 AM
OMG that food looks amazing!! Thanks for sharing! :)

figurefit09
12-09-2011, 11:07 AM
I have copied this from my blog because I thought you ladies would find it interesting to read.

Gym Etiquette/Tips For Your Safety AND Ours

So this was a blog that I was almost sure I wouldn't find the need to rewrite about, however, time and time again adults have proven their foolishness in gym on a regular basis. The sad part is, it's only part foolishness and the other part is either straight up rudeness or ignorance. I like to give people the benefit of doubt so let's pretend they are just ignorant. And if you are those people reading this, just consider yourself briefly educated by the end of this article!

That being said lets start off with some simple etiquette tips. Mirrors. Mirrors are located conveniently in the gym on the walls so you can look at your beautiful self while you workout. Most importantly I recommend their use for being able to concentrate on your form! I'm sure you can use them to check your make-up and do your hair but do that at home! More importantly next time you step in front of the mirror to watch yourself, be aware of other people. I realize your ego may not have quite fit through the door when you walked in, but next time leave it in the car! Don't step right in front of people's line of sight in the mirrors!

So this next one I get most heated and amped up about so, excuse my excitement ahead of time. My biggest pet peeve and what I think to be flat out inconsiderate is coming up to someone and striking up a conversation in the middle of a set! If you've done this to someone before please refrain from doing so in the future. It's for your own safety I assure you. I have made plenty of friends at the gym, however, it is a gym and I go to work so ideally I am going to workout, not talk, and especially not at the same time.

So one more tip. I realize this I only three tips, but the last one got me pretty worked up so I'll have to think of more later and come out with an etiquette part 2 soon. This is a tip for all you crazies who come to the gym seemingly not to work out. You will get more done if you don't read while working out, and no in not talking about on cardio equipment. Yes, this has happened, reading a BOOK while lifting on machines. I am all for multitasking don't get me wrong, but for your safety and courtesy to others I think you shouldn't read while on machines. It results in you staying on machines entirely too long.

Oh and maybe just one more quick one. If you're gonna do karate, kickboxing, Kung-fu, tae kwon do, or whatever that craziness is, at least go in the aerobics room. No one wants to watch your untamed body fly around the gym or make those fake fighting noises. Plus, you're going to hurt yourself or someone else, so do us a favor and go somewhere where you've got a little more room to move! This doesn't mean in front of the mirrors either!

katt981
12-09-2011, 11:38 AM
LMAO!! I think we've all had those peeps in the gym :yep: Our personal favorite in our gym is one of the trainers that parks his 'client' right in front of the DB rack so if you need a set of bells, well you're out of luck. REALLY??? I mean, you're a trainer so you should know better

figurefit09
12-09-2011, 11:44 AM
LMAO!! I think we've all had those peeps in the gym :yep: Our personal favorite in our gym is one of the trainers that parks his 'client' right in front of the DB rack so if you need a set of bells, well you're out of luck. REALLY??? I mean, you're a trainer so you should know better

Haha that is ridiculous! Sometimes these things make my day and just crack me up and I just shake me head and move on, but lots of times it just makes me mad haha

KBigz81
12-09-2011, 12:39 PM

I'm a trainer and that drives me insane!!! I'll tell them right there that they need to move! In a nice way of course :-)

figurefit09
12-09-2011, 06:32 PM
I'm a trainer and that drives me insane!!! I'll tell them right there that they need to move! In a nice way of course :-)

Nice or not they deserve to get their rear handed to them for pulling some dumb stunt like that! LOL

figurefit09
12-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Blueberry Protein Muffins

- 4 scoops myofusion vanilla
- 1 whole egg
- 5 egg whites
- ˝ cup egg beaters
- ˝ cup greek yogurt
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp milled flax
- 1 ˝ cups blended oats (food processor until flour consistency)
- 3 tbsp cinnamon

Makes about 18 muffins w/ the following macros (approximated):
Protein: 8g
Carb: 8g
Fat: 1.5g
Calories: 75

1. Mix all dry ingredients into a large bowl.
2. Add in liquid ingredients and stir until makes even batter.
3. Add large spoonful into muffin cups in muffin pan
4. Bake on 350 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes or until done.

stephaniewilles
12-14-2011, 11:12 AM
mmmmmmm:drool::drool::drool:

I love blueberries !!!!!

shankuan
12-15-2011, 11:56 AM
love your recipes! i also checked out your blog, nice reads!

figurefit09
12-15-2011, 05:39 PM
love your recipes! i also checked out your blog, nice reads!

Hey thanks so much! And i can't thank you enough and tell you how much I appreciate you checking out the blog!! I have actually been in touch with Gail and I am now on the Team of writers for RX Girl! So excited to have such a great opportunity at such a young age and I am completely loving it so much so far!!!

figurefit09
12-15-2011, 07:40 PM
SO excited to announce that I am now writing articles for RX Muscle!! Check out my first three articles that have already gone up this week!!

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rxgirl/rx-girl-articles/4724-why-all-this-caffinated-hype.html

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rxgirl/rx-girl-articles/4718-ez-curl,-straight-bar-curl-and-prone-or-hammer-curl.html

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rxgirl/rx-girl-articles/4711-creatine-friend-or-enemy.html

figurefit09
12-27-2011, 10:55 AM
I posted this in my other blog but i thought you ladies might enjoy a good laugh.

If this offends anyone, I apologize, it is just a joke kind of thing that most of you can relate to the other people you see when working out. Keep in mind these are all in the context of the gym and try to LAUGH, its an important part of your health too!

Gazelle - you may as well be attached to the treadmill, you run for hours And never lift weights, but will occasionally switch cardio machines.

Gorilla - you walk around with your chest pumped up and make lots of noise while lifting and also in between sets, you have great muscular structure but can sometimes be rather unintelligent.

Cat - you are somewhat spastic when working out, all of you movements look awkward, your form sucks because your back is always arched.
Raccoon - you wear lots of make-up to the gym and are very nosey, you pick things up, look at them and put them back down; and occasionally you take other peoples food.

Chimpanzee - the curious one, watches and imitates people's exercises and workouts, and occasionally you will eat a banana post-workout, but only because you saw some else doing so.

Zebra - all you try to do when you come to the gym is blend in.

Parrot - you fly from exercise to exercise, however, your main objective is talking.

Owl - you always go to the gym late at night when no one is around.

Wolf - you travel in packs, never come to the gym alone, and you follow the alpha male.

Frog - the only thing you do in the gym is jump... jump... jump, so much plyometrics.

Turtle - slow and steady wins the race?, well when you stay on one machine for what seems like an hour, I'm not so sure you are getting a very good workout, try changing things up, for everyone's sake.

Snake - you are very sneaky and sometimes creep around the gym, you aren't necessarily mean or rude, but you usually don't speak to many people, and not many people know you.

Goldfish - you are in your own world, slow mover depending on your mood, big googly eyes and yet you still never see any one waving at you to say hi.

Human being - you come to the gym to workout, you work hard and get things accomplished, you aren't rude, and only talk to people when appropriate (not during sets!), you enjoy working out and it one of the best times of your day, you come in with a plan of your workout for the day and you get it done and leave.

The Prodigy
12-27-2011, 10:44 PM
(http://www.rxmuscle.com/rxgirl/rx-girl-articles/4784-eccentric-contractions-and-muscle-hypertrophy.html)Eccentric Contractions and Muscle Hypertrophy

First off lets define the two terms that we are looking at prior to examining their connection and relevance to the progression of your training. An eccentric contraction is the part of the movement in an exercise in which the muscle is contracting but lengthening simultaneously. This is opposed to a concentric contraction in which the muscle is shortening while contracting. Contrary to popular belief the eccentric contraction is actually damage within the muscle. This muscle damage is actually necessary for muscle hypertrophy.

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rxgirl/rx-girl-articles/4784-eccentric-contractions-and-muscle-hypertrophy.html (http://www.rxmuscle.com/rxgirl/rx-girl-articles/4784-eccentric-contractions-and-muscle-hypertrophy.html)

figurefit09
12-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Awesome thanks for posting here! Glad we got this up and running and so glad to be a part of he team of writings! It is definitely an honor! And I am also trying to promote RX to all the people in my area!

figurefit09
01-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Hope everyone had a good holiday season and continued to kick ass over the holidays. I worked out through all the holidays as i'm sure most of you did as well. I was dieting the last 4 weeks to pull off some body fat to see if the slightly lower body fat would help lower my endocrine levels and in turn reduce the joint pain i have been experiencing in my shoulder. 5-6 lbs down now and it seems to be working! Havent posted a workout in a while so here are my WO from today..

Legs
warm up with 5 - 10 min walking
1. Hack squat (iusually stand facing the pad on the platform, lets you get a much deeper range and also takes the pressure off your lower back) 20 x 2 to warm up and then 15, 12, 10, 6 as weight increased
2. smith machine ATG squats - 8, 10, 10, 12 with same weight
3. seated hack squat: 7x7x7 wide stance, V stance, close stance (no rest between 7's)
4. single leg press 15, 12 x 2
5. lying leg curls propped up (more emphasis on higher ham) 15 x3, 12, 1 drop set
6. SLDL's 20 x 3

This workout was more focused on quads so next leg workout I will put hamstrings first and do more movements for hamstrings and such.

figurefit09
01-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Also new RECIPES are coming up right now!!

Chocolate Protein Pancake (low carb)
Ingredients:
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp stevia
1 - 2 tbsp milled flax
1/2 scoop chocolate whey protein
3 egg whites
1 tbsp cocoa powder
Splash of pure almond milk unsweetened

Directions:
1. Mix all ingredients into small mixing ball and mix until even.
2. Spray a small non-stick pan with olive oil cooking spray
3. Pour “batter” into the pan.
4. Cook on one side for 2 – 4 minutes or until ready and then flip.
5. Pancake will start to slightly puff up when ready, remove from the pan now to avoid over cooking, because the pancake can get dried out.
6. Enjoy with your favorite calorie free or sugar free syrup!

Asian Sesame Chicken
Ingredients:
2 tbsp sesame seeds
I tsp ground ginger
1 tsp
2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
˝ tsp maple flavoring
˝ cup Walden Farms Calorie free syrup
2lb of chicken breast

Directions
1. Cut up the chicken breast into chunks and put into a bake safe dish
2. Mix all other ingredients together into a bowl.
3. Pour mixed ingredients over chicken.
4. Bake on 375 for 20 minutes and then let sit for 5 – 10 minutes with oven off.

figurefit09
01-05-2012, 05:08 PM
And here is the chocolate pancake picture...

The Prodigy
01-17-2012, 06:22 PM
Muscle Memory Debunked

Muscle memory is probably one of the most over used word in the bodybuilding world. It’s used by almost everyone at some point or another and frankly it's down right wrong. It's wrong in the sense that it doesn’t actually exist. Muscle memory is not a real scientific term. Sorry to burst your bubble if you’ve been living and swearing by this, but it does not exist in the world of science I assure you this.

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/4888-muscle-memory-debunked.html

(http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/4888-muscle-memory-debunked.html)113815 (http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/4888-muscle-memory-debunked.html)
(http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/4888-muscle-memory-debunked.html)

figurefit09
02-07-2012, 10:52 AM
It's been a good while since I have posted last. I have been cranking out articles for RX and now I'm back at school in my last semester of Undergraduate studies! YAY! Its been a fun time but I'm definitely ready to be moving on to bigger and better things. Looking to go to graduate school here in NC and then hopefully find a job and move to Arizona!! So that's the update on my daytime life not for the updates on my training. Shoulders have been doing well and I think they just needed some healing time. I was wondering if any of you ladies have had AAS use experience in regards to the healing aspects of the shoulder? I have read a few articles pertaining to the topic and the mechanism of action makes since seeing as to how, for example, Anavar is used in patients to prevent wasting and promote healing, etc. Just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience.

figurefit09
03-23-2012, 09:34 PM
So I have been experiencing with Pauline Nordin's Fighter Diet lately which has me low carb for most of the week and then a high carb up day once a week or every five days. Fats are relatively low throughout but lower on the carb up days obviously. Only been running for a little while so I will repost with more detailed results and pictures soon!

Also, look at the new Halo Ex for Women cycle which i will be logging about !

figurefit09
04-12-2012, 08:55 AM
Halo for Hers

Cycle Started on March 26
I will probably run this product for the 5 weeks suggested for the length of the cycle and then take an OFF period for 6-8 wks.

Updates as of two weeks are:
- increased strength (incredible)
- no need for caffeine (this is personal choice but i found myself so jacked up with both i couldn't sit still)
- Sleeping more sound and alot better
- increased vascularity
- some mild headaches (probably due to the lack of caffeine the first few days)
- weight is the same as of now, however, I will check body composition next Tuesday to see where that stands

Diet is around 1500 cals
- 35 - 40g fat
- 75 -100g net carbs
- 150-160g protein

katt981
04-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Glad it's working for you! :) I'm just finishing up my last week on the Halo Extreme and I couldn't be more pleased with the results. Definitely going to do this cycle again after about 4 weeks off.. My weight (pounds) really didn't move much, BUT I saw a dramatic decrease in visual body fat!

figurefit09
04-17-2012, 01:53 PM
I am having very similar results... No real change in body weight but definitely difference in appearance and I am absolutely loving it to say the least. I only have been taking one cap.. How many have you been taking? I was thinking of upping it to two caps for the rest of my cycle on. And i was also planning on doing another cycle after about 4 weeks off. Love this product so far, absolutely fantastic. Strength is great, and body comp measurements I will check after i finish this first cycle.

katt981
04-17-2012, 02:01 PM
I've been taking one in the morning for the duration. I read the journal in fem chem and girly muscle was only doing one cap too, so that's where I stayed. Probably will do the same after the 4 week layoff.

I love this product as well, just sent in another order for round two LOL

The Prodigy
04-17-2012, 03:30 PM
Start putting up links of your awesome articles in here lady!!!!! The bio mechanics of working out are VERY interesting and even I have learned a lot!

figurefit09
04-18-2012, 03:05 PM
I will do it right now! So glad you have learned some new stuff! If i can help one person learn just one new thing I am happy!

figurefit09
04-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Here is the link to my latest article in the forums! I will post other article series in the posts after this one!

http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?68249-Training-to-Failure-and-Pyramid-Setting&p=1646139#post1646139

figurefit09
04-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Katt, I believe girly muscle was using the original halo (the one that is now the "mens") when she was only using one cap, and those caps are 25mg and the halor hers are 10mg. But I still have only done one cap for now. Also, how long did you run your first cycle? The bottle i know says 4-5 wks however on the website it says 6 - 8 wks. I guess it can depend on how high your dose s but i was wondering how long you ran your first cycle?

figurefit09
05-31-2012, 03:09 PM
I have seriously been falling down on the job here with my journal... That being said I am kicking it into high gear with competition prep right now so I am going to use this journal as a continuing motivator to keep me on track and to post my progress. Also, I have been failing to post links to the articles that I have posted so I will be posting them here as well. Here is the latest one.

http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?70003-The-Science-Behind-Cheat-Meals&p=1667816#post1667816

figurefit09
05-31-2012, 03:12 PM
The Importance of Rest: Physical and Psychological

http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?69805-The-Important-of-Rest-%96-Psychological-and-Physical

figurefit09
06-02-2012, 05:18 PM
I am 12 weeks out from the Complete Nutrition Muscle Heat in Greensboro, NC. I am currently in Wilmington, NC for the weekend with family but I have been training at the Gold's Gym on Racine Drive in Wilmington. If you are ever in Wilmington this is a great place to train. Solid amount of equipment, machines and free weights, etc. Great atmosphere for hardcore training :)

figurefit09
06-05-2012, 08:41 PM
6/5/12

Shoulder Workout
warm-up with rotator cuff exercises/movements
1. cable single rear delt 20, 15 x 3
2. bent over cable rear delt flye - 15 x 4
3. DB lateral raise (straight sets) 12 x 3
4. DB lateral raise 1 set inverse pyramid, 1 set pyramid
5. DB shoulder press (progressively increasing each set) 15 x 4

The reasoning for performing the rear delt exercises at the beginning of the workout is for the development of my rear delts. They have have been a major week point to my physique due to the nature of the injuries that I have had. However, i strive to make my shoulders one of the strongest parts of my physique. My legs are truly over powering to my upper body, especially in the off season because that is usually where i hold most of my weight. However, over the past year I have been working very hard to progress my upper body, mostly my back (thickness & width) and shoulders (rear & medial) because my pecs are actually rather thick and respond well to the training that I have been doing.

figurefit09
06-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Here are a few update photos of my physique. It has changed a lot in the past four weeks since some of these have taken so I look forward to posting more update pictures within the coming weeks.

Also I found this ice cream this evening that is 150 calories for an entire serving (the whole pint). Don't know how I have missed it before but it is a great find. I found it at the Earth Fare store nearest to my house but I am sure most organic foods stores carry it. I have yet to try it but if anyone has tried it, what flavors were best?

figurefit09
06-09-2012, 04:09 PM
New article up, Please check it out and let me know what you think!

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/5814-the-pre-exhaust-training-method.html

figurefit09
06-17-2012, 10:28 AM
FINALLY found me a man... and therefore a training partner!! Haha It's fantastic to have someone I can trust to spot me and push me at the same time! Life is good... 10 wks out from the show!

katt981
06-18-2012, 10:20 PM
Working out with a partner is so GREAT! Pushes you beyond what you could have done yourself!!

The Prodigy
06-19-2012, 12:12 AM
FINALLY found me a man... and therefore a training partner!! Haha It's fantastic to have someone I can trust to spot me and push me at the same time! Life is good... 10 wks out from the show!

What show you doing?

You working with a prep coach?

figurefit09
07-10-2012, 05:00 PM
I was shooting for a show in August but now looking at one in November. Life has gotten tough lately and I have also had some realizations that I have been missing out on some great things in my life so there is a time and place for doing a show and now doesn't seem to be working to well. I just graduated college and am in the process of having some job interviews. Diet is still clean and weight is still coming down or maintaining at lower body fat percentage. Also as my body fat has come down, I feel so much smaller and am not totally sure I am ready for the women's physique stage, I feel as if I will not have enough muscle to keep up.

Here is my latest article.
http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/6027-the-importance-of-functional-exercises.html

figurefit09
08-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Have been absent from my journal for a while! Yikes! Well i have decided to take a year to build, build, build. Tired for dieting down for a show and being disappointed with what I see and no improvements made. I try to stay too lean for too much of the year subsequently resulting in no mass gains.. at all. So the cardio has got to go. Well at least in moderation. And as long as my diet is on point, I don't really see the need for insane or increased amounts of cardio in the off season. However, I would love to hear everyone's opinion on the matter?

I've have also been utilizing perdiozation methods a little within my "off-season" training to try to produce increased mass and strength gains in the areas that need bringing up. For example, for the next 12 weeks I will be focusing on back thickness and back width. I will be training back twice per week, legs once, shoulders once, etc. Rep ranges for back are lower due to the heavy nature of the work done, however since back is worked twice in the week higher reps are also used. During this period of time my calories range from 1500 (off days) to 1750 (on heavier lifting day like legs) with an average caloric intake of 1600. This sounds low but I feel like if I eat in excess of that everyday i would add unwanted amount of body fat. This is another area where I welcome feedback!!! SO please feel free to leave your suggestions or personal experiences.

figurefit09
08-29-2012, 01:57 PM
i realized I left no macronutrient amounts for the indicated caloric values left above...

Macronutrient ranges of my off season diet are as follows:
Protein: 160g - 180g
Carbohydrates: 100g - 150g
Fiber: 20g - 45g
Fats: 35g - 45g

Higher fat days are paired with lower carb days and moderate protein, say on a non-training day and then higher carb and lower fat on a training day. I feel like the increased intake of carbs on a non-training day to be unnecessary and would lend itself to an increase gain of fat mass, however, I could be wrong and I would love to hear what some other people incorporate in their off-season diets!

The Prodigy
08-29-2012, 02:50 PM
I was shooting for a show in August but now looking at one in November. Life has gotten tough lately and I have also had some realizations that I have been missing out on some great things in my life so there is a time and place for doing a show and now doesn't seem to be working to well. I just graduated college and am in the process of having some job interviews. Diet is still clean and weight is still coming down or maintaining at lower body fat percentage. Also as my body fat has come down, I feel so much smaller and am not totally sure I am ready for the women's physique stage, I feel as if I will not have enough muscle to keep up.

Here is my latest article.
http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/6027-the-importance-of-functional-exercises.html

Good for you for putting "life" first and competing second! Don't miss a thing...cause in life there is no "do overs"!!

figurefit09
08-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Good for you for putting "life" first and competing second! Don't miss a thing...cause in life there is no "do overs"!!

Thanks girl! It was probably one of the harder decisions I have made, however, knowing the right time to compete I think will allow me to compete with more efficiency!

Will you be at the North Americans this weekend?

The Prodigy
08-30-2012, 08:57 AM
Thanks girl! It was probably one of the harder decisions I have made, however, knowing the right time to compete I think will allow me to compete with more efficiency!

Will you be at the North Americans this weekend?

I will not be attending any shows for a LOOOOOONG time! If you are going have fun!

figurefit09
09-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Just got back form the North Americans!!! I had the most fun that I have ever had at a show. My coach was competing so I went for support! Coach ended up placing 5th in WPD, first ever national level show, so we are super pleased. It was super awesome to run into the pros! Got to see Dave Palumbo, Sarah Hurle, Tracey Bodner and many more inspirational athletes. This was my second travel adventure to a national level event and I wasn't even competing and I had the time of my life. The people were fantastic! I love everything about this sport and all that is involved. I am super excited that I could support my coach and have the honor to attend the North Americans.

On another note... Training is going well, seemingly. Weights are up, food is up, and my weight is up HAHA! Sounds like a full force off season. I am slowly trying to reintroduce carbs back into my diet. Seems like after being on low carb for a long time (and entirely too long at that) by body doesn't really know what to do with carbs besides store them as fat instead of use them for energy. So I have currently gotten my carbs up to around 140g for one day a week and 100 - 120g for the other days and sometimes even 80g for an OFF day of training.

figurefit09
09-18-2012, 01:44 PM
My new article up in the forums and what not about green tea... Check it out!

http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?77478-What-is-Green-Tea-Extract&p=1726615#post1726615 (https://mobile.highpoint.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=f4de56aa20494679aba1bbd90b10b7d0&URL=http%3a%2f%2fforums.rxmuscle.com%2fshowthread. php%3f77478-What-is-Green-Tea-Extract%26p%3d1726615%23post1726615)

figurefit09
09-18-2012, 01:47 PM
Training is going good, shoulder is feeling fabulous and calories are up to probably around 1800cals per day give or take a few.. Off days are lower, leg days are sometimes higher... All clean calories with one cheat meal per week... Have put on a little bit of body fat but that is to be expected.. Its nothing horrendous or crazy so i'm please with that... I recently got two new PUPPIES! They are now my babies and I am truly glad I am not in contest prep right now so that I can enjoy them being playful and also give them what they need and take care of them and love them at this early stage in their lives! I will get some pictures posted up of them soon.

curvygirl
09-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Hiya Kelsey :)

I just stumbled upon your journal and love your entries & articles! Especially all the recipes! Very creative & tasty! :D
I also saw you are heading over to physique as well! This past year was my first year as an NPC competitor and
I had a blast!

I feel your pain on the whole weight gain to build muscle! That has been a running conversation on my journal for the past few months.
But I will say this, along with more food and the subsequent weight gain I have made some progress. Strength is up and the size is coming.
So I think it may be a fair trade off for the next time I cut.

Enjoy those fuzzy babies...they won't be little for too long. Looking forward to the pictures. :D
Keep on killing it!
Peace & Brown Rice!

The Prodigy
09-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Training is going good, shoulder is feeling fabulous and calories are up to probably around 1800cals per day give or take a few.. Off days are lower, leg days are sometimes higher... All clean calories with one cheat meal per week... Have put on a little bit of body fat but that is to be expected.. Its nothing horrendous or crazy so i'm please with that... I recently got two new PUPPIES! They are now my babies and I am truly glad I am not in contest prep right now so that I can enjoy them being playful and also give them what they need and take care of them and love them at this early stage in their lives! I will get some pictures posted up of them soon.

What kinda puppies did you get? I am currently preparing myself to be a pet mommy again! They are and will forever be my children!

figurefit09
09-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Hiya Kelsey :)

I just stumbled upon your journal and love your entries & articles! Especially all the recipes! Very creative & tasty! :D
I also saw you are heading over to physique as well! This past year was my first year as an NPC competitor and
I had a blast!

I feel your pain on the whole weight gain to build muscle! That has been a running conversation on my journal for the past few months.
But I will say this, along with more food and the subsequent weight gain I have made some progress. Strength is up and the size is coming.
So I think it may be a fair trade off for the next time I cut.

Enjoy those fuzzy babies...they won't be little for too long. Looking forward to the pictures. :D
Keep on killing it!
Peace & Brown Rice!

Thank you for reading my journal! I don't believe it gets to much traffic these days but that's ok! I was just noticing today what you had mentioned about strength and size. I had been sot of caught up and pre-occupied with just the weight gain, but today I really stopped and looked at my physique and I think it is safe to say that I have definitely made some progress! So that was pretty cool!!

I am also planning on writing a book with far more articles and in depth discussions on training and nutrition and things like that.. The book will also contain lots of recipes. It is still in the works right now but I will keep everyone posted!!!

figurefit09
09-21-2012, 04:05 PM
What kinda puppies did you get? I am currently preparing myself to be a pet mommy again! They are and will forever be my children!

HERE ARE MY BABIIIIES!!!! They are both yorkshire terriers... They are sisters and their names are Heidi and Maci! Heidi is bigger than Maci because Maci was the runt of the litter. They are awesome! They have really been good for me this off season. they have kept my stress levels down and something positive to focus on! Love them!!!

figurefit09
09-21-2012, 04:08 PM
I have also been getting Active Release Techniques performed on me twice per week due to my muscles getting extremely tight this off season. I have been stretching a lot more and have invested in a small foam roller to help as well. I also got acupuncture for the first time this week. My muscles were so tight from years of abuse that my pecs and lats had actually developed small amounts of scar tissue in the muscle!!! So the acupuncture cuts thru these trigger points and allows for the muscle to perform adequately and more importantly GROW GROW GROW!

The Prodigy
09-24-2012, 09:54 PM
A Review of Health and Fitness Applications for Mobile Devices!

The popular trend now and probably forever more is technology. Its everywhere, whether we want it to be there or not! However, technology has provided us with many great advances in the world of bodybuilding and health and fitness in general.

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/6623-a-review-of-health-and-fitness-applications-for-mobile-devices.html (http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/6623-a-review-of-health-and-fitness-applications-for-mobile-devices.html)

figurefit09
09-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks for posting here, Gail! Hope you saw the pictures of my babies that i posted previously!

A Review of Health and Fitness Applications for Mobile Devices!

The popular trend now and probably forever more is technology. Its everywhere, whether we want it to be there or not! However, technology has provided us with many great advances in the world of bodybuilding and health and fitness in general.

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/6623-a-review-of-health-and-fitness-applications-for-mobile-devices.html (http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/6623-a-review-of-health-and-fitness-applications-for-mobile-devices.html)

figurefit09
11-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Off season is going well and I just wanted to update what my diet looks like at this point and I would love some feedback on what every thinks in terms of if I am feeding myself enough/too much, etc.

Meal 1
1 mini box raisins
1/2 c. oatmeal
6 egg whites

Meal 2
4-6oz (depending on the cut of meat) beef/steak
4 oz sweet potatoes

Meal 3 (post workout)
1 scoop Carnivor protein
1 piece of fruit

Meal 4
6 oz chicken
4 oz sweet potato

Meal 5
6 oz chicken
1 c. veggies
2 tbsp Almond butter

Meal 6
1 1/2 scoop casein protein
2 - 4 tbsp PB2
1/4 cup egg beaters

Macronutrients
Fat: 39g
Carbohydrates: 171g
Protein: 213g

On non-training days the carbs are usually more like 120 g as opposed to the higher carbs on training days. So that being said my calories fluctuate according with that. And some days like back day or leg days I tend to feel like I need more food.

The Prodigy
11-04-2012, 10:44 AM
HERE ARE MY BABIIIIES!!!! They are both yorkshire terriers... They are sisters and their names are Heidi and Maci! Heidi is bigger than Maci because Maci was the runt of the litter. They are awesome! They have really been good for me this off season. they have kept my stress levels down and something positive to focus on! Love them!!!

They are SOOO cute!!!

The Prodigy
11-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Another awesome article by Kelsey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carb Back Loading: Is It For You?

Carbohydrate back loading is a newer and less utilized dieting strategy that has recently been coming into the spot light. To understand how it works, we must understand what it is! Carb back-loading is actually probably used by people that don’t even know that they are actual using this specific system. They usually realize something is working with what they are doing but they don’t necessarily classify it using this term.

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/6903-carb-back-loading-is-it-for-you.html (http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/6903-carb-back-loading-is-it-for-you.html)

figurefit09
05-16-2013, 11:09 AM
I am currently back writing with RX muscle again and I wanted to post the links of all of the articles I have written to date. Please check them out on the site and in the forums and please give some feedback! Thank you!

List of Article Links

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/4775-muscle-fiber-type.html

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/4762-got-doms.html

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/4732-angular-motion-a-lesson-in-physics,-biomechanics-and-a-bit-of-ranting.html

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/8094-progesterone-a-closer-look.html

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/6903-carb-back-loading-is-it-for-you.html

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/6623-a-review-of-health-and-fitness-applications-for-mobile-devices.html

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/6523-what-is-green-tea-extract.html

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/6070-fascial-stretching-for-muscular-growth.html

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/5814-the-pre-exhaust-training-method.html

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/5751-the-science-behind-cheat-meals.html

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/5718-the-important-of-rest-psychological-and-physical.html

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/5421-training-to-failure-and-pyramid-setting.html

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/5305-part-2-series-rest-intervals-and-exercise-selection.html

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/5218-training-induced-muscular-hypertrophy-part-1-intensity-and-volume.html

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/5114-strength-and-conditioning-applied-to-bodybuilding.html

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/5087-effects-of-shoe-type-on-squat-performance.html

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/4937-joint-articulation-in-terms-of-injury-prevention-part-3-the-elbow.html

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/4888-muscle-memory-debunked.html

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/4844-joint-articulation-in-terms-of-injury-prevention-part-2-the-knee.html

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/4833-the-nervous-system-and-how-it-applies-to-training.html

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/4808-joint-articulation-biomechanics-in-terms-of-injury-prevention-part-1-shoulder-joint-and-shoulder-girdle.html

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/4784-eccentric-contractions-and-muscle-hypertrophy.html

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/4724-why-all-this-caffinated-hype.html

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/4718-ez-curl,-straight-bar-curl-and-prone-or-hammer-curl.html

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/4711-creatine-friend-or-enemy.html

figurefit09
05-16-2013, 04:29 PM
SHOULDER SURGERY #2... Well just an update here from me... I have been offline for a while due to work and also an injury. I suffered my 4th shoulder dislocation (2nd on the left side) resulting in my having to have surgery to repair the anterior, inferior glenoid labrum tear on April 19th, 2013. I am about 4 weeks post op today and have two more weeks in the sling. I have 6 weeks of rehab following this six week in the sling. Not being able to train upper body really sicks, however, I have still been able to train legs, do cardio, and focus on a clean diet. It has also given be quite a bit of time to delve deeper into my education. It has given me time to be aware of some hormonal problems that I have also discovered. (I plan to write some new articles about hormonal imbalances for women so.. stay tuned!)

Training will come back slow but in the mean time I am taking online classes in organic chemistry and Biochemistry in hopes of transferring into a Naturopathic Doctor program at SCNM in Tempe, Arizona. So I definitely hope to be an addition to the Arizona bodybuilding family in the near future. Definitely taking suggestions on gyms in the area as well!

JayBezel
05-29-2013, 03:08 PM
Today's workout...

I usually warm up with some high reps and light weight lateral raises just to get the blood flowing and get my shoulders used to the motions. I've had lot so of shoulder problems so I like to make sure they are especially good and warmed up.

1. seated hammer strength press 12 x 4, one drop set to failure
2a. standing lateral raises: 12 x4
2b. seated lateral raises: 10 x 4
3. single cable rear delt raises: 15 x 4
4. upright rows with kettle bell: 12 x 3, 2 drop sets to failure
5. standing EZ barbell press: 12 x 3
6. hanging leg raises to failure
7. machine crunch: drop set to failure

Today's recipe of the day...

French Toast Pancakes
Ingredients:
- ˝ cup ground/blended oats
- 12 Capella flavor drops (French Toast flavor)
- 1 tbsp splenda
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 4 egg whites
Nutrition Facts
Cooking instructions:
1. Grind/blend oats in food processor.
2. Put all ingredients into small mixing bowl in no particular order. Mix thoroughly until the mixture becomes of batter like consistency.
3. Then spray a small cooking pan with Pam (optional) to ensure your beloved pancake does not stick to the pan.
4. Cook on one side for 2 - 3 minutes or until you are able to flip and then cook for the reminder of the time. I have eaten these slightly undercooked and they are delicious, it gives the pancake a doughier texture, however, to avoid contraction of salmonella it may be in your best interest to cook the pancake thoroughly.
5. Remove from the pan and onto a plate.
6. I use the pizza cutter to then cut the pancake in french toast like dippers and enjoy with a side of Walden's Farm Syrup (sugar free AND calorie free).

And there you have it, a glimpse of a day in the life of...

the only problem with this recipe is that it means I have to go buy the ingredients! Ill stick with my whey, eggs, oatmeal, kale, and almond milk in the blender and just pretend its french toast!