PDA

View Full Version : Ufc to open national chain of fitness centers

Bubba Bronko
02-12-2009, 01:07 AM
UFC TO OPEN NATIONAL CHAIN OF FITNESS CENTERS
Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - Press Release courtesy of UFC

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8061-UFCGym_Logo.jpg
The fastest growing sports organization in the world, the Ultimate Fighting Championship in partnership with New Evolution Fitness Company (NEFC), on Tuesday announced plans to launch a nationwide and global network of UFC gyms.

“UFC Gyms is something we’ve been looking at for a long time, it completely made sense to me when we found the right partner in Mark Mastrov – this is the guy who has created some of the most powerful fitness brands in the world,” said Dana White, UFC President. “UFC gyms are going to shake up the fitness industry the way UFC shook up the sports industry. All the energy and excitement that we have brought to the fight business we are now going to bring to the fitness business. There is going to be something for everybody at all levels – from first timers to world class athletes – we’re going to get people excited and motivated to work out and get in great shape.”

“UFC Gyms” will be the first major brand extension for the Ultimate Fighting Championship, the all-time industry leader in the sport of mixed martial arts. In alliance with NEFC owners Mark Mastrov and Jim Rowley, developers of many of the world’s most successful fitness brands, UFC Gyms will give UFC enthusiasts and fitness seekers alike the opportunity to practice the training techniques of famed UFC athletes, such as Georges St-Pierre and BJ Penn.

UFC Gyms will provide all-around training, conditioning and health options for men, women and children of all ages.

“I have been a long time fan and admirer of the UFC. An introduction from a friend, Perry Rogers, to Lorenzo Fertitta and Dana White of the UFC, immediately sparked the idea of combining the strength of the UFC with our expertise in the fitness industry," said Mark Mastrov, co-Founder, New Evolution Fitness Company. "The manner in which we approach business, the style in which we run our companies and the passion we share for fitness has made this an easy decision and a natural partnership. The fitness industry needs innovation, it needs something to get excited about and we all agree that UFC Gyms will deliver on that in every way."

For more information about UFC Gyms, please visit UFCgyms.com.

Gray
02-12-2009, 02:17 AM
This might actually work. Fast growing sport, big fan base and people fast getting sick and tired of ghey health clubs.

thechampofchamp
02-12-2009, 02:27 AM
I can only imagine the monthly fee they'll be charging

New2thegame
02-12-2009, 12:47 PM
I'm "iffy" on who will be the trainers at these places...Because a McDojo Blk belt could get a job there and the quality of teaching COULD suffer. (all depends on the person)

JamesWebb
02-12-2009, 06:56 PM
this will be junk. every kid already thinks he trains MMA and now it will just be worse. They go to a 'MMA' gym with a coach with no pro fights and know how to do an americana and they think they could roll with someone who trains at a legit BJJ gym

tommigunzzz
02-13-2009, 08:22 AM
I can only imagine the monthly fee they'll be charging

I agree. Just the thought of that fee makes me want to look for a second job.

tommigunzzz
02-13-2009, 08:24 AM
this will be junk. every kid already thinks he trains MMA and now it will just be worse. They go to a 'MMA' gym with a coach with no pro fights and know how to do an americana and they think they could roll with someone who trains at a legit BJJ gym

That's probably true, but there are suspect gyms out there anyway. Dana White will probably force being trainers in the gyms be put into the fighters contracts.

mr.genetics
02-13-2009, 08:26 AM
This could go either way, but it will be an extreme in either direction.

Mr X
02-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Is the cobra Kai dojo still open ...now those were some hardcore dudes

tommigunzzz
02-13-2009, 08:37 AM
Is the cobra Kai dojo still open ...now those were some hardcore dudes

One of the smartest things Joe Stevenson did was use that name.

Mr X
02-13-2009, 08:40 AM
I dont think he deserves such an awesome name but he was smart to grab it.

Sweep the leg....

gilbert
02-25-2009, 11:38 PM
yeah it looks really good

hrd
02-26-2009, 12:51 AM
The membership fees would need to be high just to cover the insurance premiums.

banger
02-26-2009, 10:06 AM
bad idea, overhead will be huge. I know, i used to own a medium size gym. you can't clone a good trainer. most gyms are really struggling as we speak. it only the clubs that have excessive amounts of members paying cheap monthly fee's that r doing ok.

remember one thing, its the ladies that brings in the members

Mufasa
02-26-2009, 10:21 PM
bad idea, overhead will be huge. I know, i used to own a medium size gym. you can't clone a good trainer. most gyms are really struggling as we speak. it only the clubs that have excessive amounts of members paying cheap monthly fee's that r doing ok.

remember one thing, its the ladies that brings in the members

I'm right with you, banger...

And as much as we hate to admit it, "badasses" (which this most likely will attract) and the "hardcore":

1) Tear up equipment

2) Tend to be cheap as hell and

3) Tend to run-away the Soccor Moms and other clientele that tend to be just the opposite.

Maybe they have a different idea in mind; but every teenager and college badass who thinks he is a MMA fighter doesn't seem like a very profitable demographic to me.

We'll see!

Mufasa