PDA

View Full Version : training on an empty stomach??

LANCE SPENCER
04-04-2009, 04:02 AM
is this good or bad for a contest prep??

BigJD69
04-04-2009, 11:56 AM
Just for cardio, first thing in the morning.

Scoobysnacks
04-04-2009, 04:59 PM
I dont advise lifting on empty stomach, the way I see its been 8 hrs since your last meal, then you go pound your body. If I work with a morning trainer Ill set them up on a very portable pre workout meal. Whey isolate and oats. Most put in the same shaker sit it by the bed, wake up 1/2 hr early, drink it, chill for a bit in bed then head to train. by the time they get their and get rolling its been in them for about 1.5 hrs and they seem to like this and have no digestion issues. I like isolate for this as it assimilates quick and doesnt sit on the stomach like casein might.

I personally dont like training on one meal early morning, but I will tell you I have found over and over again those that do, seem to lose easier.

mdvsony
04-04-2009, 05:33 PM
i can't train wthout food....feel sluggish and soon lose intensity when im there...

joedanielsx
04-05-2009, 06:31 AM
i actually trained many times for the northern ky on one meal. never on empty stomach for weight or hiit though

Scoobysnacks
04-05-2009, 10:27 AM
i actually trained many times for the northern ky on one meal. never on empty stomach for weight or hiit though

yes sir and I notice those that train earlier in the morning do lose weight on a higher cal diet than their counterparts. One of the reasons I switched two of my training days to Sat and Sun. I train earlier in the day and true to form Im dieting on more cals than last year where I trained at 6 pm Mon/Tue and Thur/Fri.

but all that said I still want 1 meal in them, just like you did, and we know how that turned out for you:-)

joe you should put that sick back hamstring shot in your avatar.

Ss

DOIT
04-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Just cardio for me on an empty stomach. My schedule is this 3-4 12 hour day shifts and 3-4 12 hour mid shifts and then finally 3 days off. On my mid shifts I will stop eating around 12-1 and train at 630 when I get off. It is hell and it is killing my body and my workouts. So I switched to only weights on the 3 or 4 day shifts that I have and only cardio on my mids and my body seems to be recovering a lot better. Sorry to ramble but I hate this schedule and felt like venting!!!

LANCE SPENCER
04-05-2009, 03:19 PM
has anyone tried training on an empty stomach for a while?? it sounds like a super burner method...

Bigbench1
04-07-2009, 11:18 AM
If you train on an empty stomach, it actually causes a negative effect as your in starvation mode and then straining the CNS. Your body will produce cortisol to a much higher degree and burn more muscle than fat. Taking in cals increases the bodies partitioning effects and shuttles the nutrients at a much better rate (both amount going to the muscles as well as WHAT is being stored)

NattyGirl
04-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Your body will burn more muscle than fat.

Agreed - heavy training or high intensity cardio requires a lot of fuel, and if you don't have the glycogen stores to support the activity your body will most likely break down your muscle to get the energy it needs. I think it's best to either do LISS on an empty stomach, or else train hard about 1-2 hours after eating.

Youngguns
04-16-2009, 12:01 PM
I need to have a full meal 30-45 minutes before I step into the gym.

Frosty
04-16-2009, 01:14 PM
If someone absolutely HAS to train with weight right away in the morning, I'd recommend taking in 30-40g of BCAAs in a 4:1:1 ratio (you can buy it at www.trueprotein.com) right before you train. This will probably prevent any muscle loss issues if your schedule forces you into training like this.