PDA

View Full Version : Carbing up

SAMSON
04-04-2009, 11:54 AM
What does your usual carb up routine look like guys and girls? I usually start 2 days out, but for my next show (3 weeks away) im actually gonna carb up on the day of the show only. The reason for this is im using Dave's keto diet for the first time, and without carbs I still look quite full and vascular. I really dont want to risk spilling over either so thats why im leaving it so late.

Carl

Legend
04-04-2009, 09:15 PM
What does your usual carb up routine look like guys and girls? I usually start 2 days out, but for my next show (3 weeks away) im actually gonna carb up on the day of the show only. The reason for this is im using Dave's keto diet for the first time, and without carbs I still look quite full and vascular. I really dont want to risk spilling over either so thats why im leaving it so late.

Carl

I also do keto.

I start my carb load on Thursday: (keep sodium +water high)

Friday: Cut sodium, continue carb load, and keep drinking water until about 15-16 hours before pre-judging.

Saturday Morning: Add some sodium back in.

For your show 3 weeks later, I would recommend you just do the same exact protocol again. I've done this many times.

Carbing up on the day of, won't be enough. You're not gonna spill over in 2 days...don't worry about it....just repeat the same protocol.

If you didn't spill over the first show with your protocol, you're not gonna spil over at the second one

SAMSON
04-05-2009, 08:55 AM
I also do keto.

Friday: Cut sodium, continue carb load, and keep drinking water until about 15-16 hours before pre-judging.

For your show 3 weeks later, I would recommend you just do the same exact protocol again. I've done this many times.

Carbing up on the day of, won't be enough. You're not gonna spill over in 2 days...don't worry about it....just repeat the same protocol.

If you didn't spill over the first show with your protocol, you're not gonna spil over at the second one

Decisions decisions! I asked Dave and he said everybody is different, Toney Freeman for example is only given carbs just prior to the show or he risks spilling over. What i've been going off is after my cheat meal I look a lot better within an hour, the next morning even better still, but by that evening i've smoothed over. I know that has a lot to do with the food being loaded with sugar :popcorn: (which my carb up food would'nt be) I've got 3 shows in the next 7 weeks to find out what works best. Thanks!

stavios
04-05-2009, 10:06 AM
I am also doing Dave's diet (well only using his base).

this year if I am about ready 2 weeks out, I'll try a small carb day at 12,9,6 and 3 days out, then also on friday.

this way I wouldn't be super full, but not super flat either and I wouldn't have to worry about "spilling over"

but I have to be in crazy shape 2 weeks out :D

Scoobysnacks
04-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Decisions decisions! I asked Dave and he said everybody is different, Toney Freeman for example is only given carbs just prior to the show or he risks spilling over. What i've been going off is after my cheat meal I look a lot better within an hour, the next morning even better still, but by that evening i've smoothed over. I know that has a lot to do with the food being loaded with sugar :popcorn: (which my carb up food would'nt be) I've got 3 shows in the next 7 weeks to find out what works best. Thanks!

I dont think its the sugar as so much in getting all the water back in you along with the natural sodium your regular diet contains.

My advice try a dry run. When you carb up the next day watch your water for the day, just sip, see if you tighten up even more over the course of the day. This is easy to test as it wont hurt your fat loss. My opinion once you have loaded and put sodium back in, its the water that eventually spills you on the large load and, see what happens it cant hurt, then you know.

Ss

Mr. Shoulders
04-05-2009, 06:35 PM

Carl
I am and will be doing the same but will probably start carbing the day before with waximaize and sweet potatoes...Day of the show will be pancakes and syrup for breakfast

SAMSON
04-06-2009, 04:37 AM
Thanks for all the replies fella's. I value you're opinion and im now edging more towards the 2 day carb up plan. Im sure you've all been in my situation, 3 weeks out and in shape ready to go, everybody telling you just to step on stage the way you look right now, it makes you question your original carb up plan, mine was always to carb up 2 days out, but then you start to worry about losing condition, but like you have pointed out, wont happen with low amounts of clean carbs over 2 days.

Carl

Scoobysnacks
04-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Thanks for all the replies fella's. I value you're opinion and im now edging more towards the 2 day carb up plan. Im sure you've all been in my situation, 3 weeks out and in shape ready to go, everybody telling you just to step on stage the way you look right now, it makes you question your original carb up plan, mine was always to carb up 2 days out, but then you start to worry about losing condition, but like you have pointed out, wont happen with low amounts of clean carbs over 2 days.

Carl

what show are you doing and what weight class?

stavios
04-06-2009, 10:05 AM

Carl

what I ask myself is: will low amounts of clean carbs really change someting in your fullness after 12-16 weeks of keto ?

I think not ! :o

but I prefer a less full, but drier look myself

SAMSON
04-09-2009, 10:59 AM
what show are you doing and what weight class?

Im doing 3 shows here in the UK in the next few weeks SS. A local, regional and national.

Carl

SAMSON
04-09-2009, 11:01 AM
I also do keto.

Do you continue carbing right until an hour or 2 before hitting the stage on your plan mate?

Carl

Legend
04-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Do you continue carbing right until an hour or 2 before hitting the stage on your plan mate?

Carl

Yeah, Saturday morning I'll usually have egg whites, angel food cake, white rice, and a little ANPB, all mixed together with a little cinnamon and splenda.

Then I'll usually have another meal like this one again.

After that I just snack on things like rice cakes, angel food cake, etc., if I get hungry at all.

Ken "Skip" Hill
04-11-2009, 05:36 AM
what I ask myself is: will low amounts of clean carbs really change someting in your fullness after 12-16 weeks of keto ?

I think not ! :o

but I prefer a less full, but drier look myself

Bingo.

For every 99 out of 100 guys that fuck up their condition with a load, they were going for more "fullness".

Skip