PDA

View Full Version : Lower back training

ChunkyThunder
04-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Well I'm back in the gym now for about a month (after 4 years of being out) and my strength is going quite steadily (way faster than I thought) from week to week, but it seems my lower back is holding me back on my squats. My upper back is stronger as are my quads hams etc, but my lower back seems to round off at the end of my sets. It might just be from not doing them for a while and I just lose that "groove" from the time off. I just lowered the weight I'm using going to lower the weight and get my form back but in case it is strength I would like to bring it up.

I would also like to note that it doesn't seem to be holding me back on my deadlifts, which I assume means it's most likely form.

I have been doing SLDL's and hyperextension on leg and back day along with stretching (daily). Is there anything other advice anyone can give me.

GirlyMuscle
04-04-2009, 12:27 PM
I'm no expert but if you can't do the exercise with proper form then the weight is simply too much for now. Drop the weight, keep correct form and only progress the weights as you can while keeping that form.

JAR OF NATTY
04-04-2009, 01:07 PM
you could try weighted hyperextensions. hold a 25lb against ur chest. and you could do a underhand rows and underhand pull downs to develope better lower lats, just to maybe put a little more emphasis on your lower back

robert da strongman
04-04-2009, 02:02 PM
good mornings and shrugs

SUMO
04-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Find someone in your area that has been competing in PLing for a while and just ask him or her to work with you on a squat session or two. That will, by far, be the best way to ensure your form is correct.

Skeptic
04-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Or video a squat set, YouTube it and ask Mark Rippetoe. He will critique your form. I'm not kidding.

:bowdown: -------> Rippetoe

Bryan Hildebrand
04-04-2009, 07:45 PM
romanian deadlifts.

realmccoy
04-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Sled dragging
Rack pulls
Good mornings ( various types)
back extension
Dimel Deadlifts

ChunkyThunder
04-04-2009, 11:42 PM
Thanks everyone I will definitely give some of these a try. It's really annoying that my lower back is holding me back from more weight, but I will just have to do these things, back up my weights and move up slower.

I think I just got ahead of myself for a minute. I guess I forgot to check my ego in at the door this week.

realmccoy
06-21-2009, 01:12 PM
You could also reduce your reps to the 1-3 range so can keep your leg strenght up and then hammer your lower back. Don't forget to make sure your belly is pushing against the belt when you are squatting and that you are also hammering you ab's with weights .

Ninja Loco
06-21-2009, 01:19 PM
I'm no expert but if you can't do the exercise with proper form then the weight is simply too much for now. Drop the weight, keep correct form and only progress the weights as you can while keeping that form.
Best advice on this thread.

BK
06-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Throw in some more hyperextensions during the week. Also do some static holds for about 30-60 seconds on hypers. When you are squatting, your lower back is in a static hold. Weak abs could be the cause of your problems as well, so do alot of weighted sit-ups as well