PDA

View Full Version : Is Milk Bad For You?

Dwight
09-27-2011, 03:54 AM
I just read some articles, on milk being bad for you. Are those articles crap or are they actually telling the truth? Please share here.Thanks.

maximusmac
09-27-2011, 04:04 AM
I would have to say it depends in what view point you look at it from, store bought is nothing more then hormone, anti-biotic swill if you ask me, I like Raw unpasturized milk from grass feed cows, if your keto then the amount of milk sugars is bad. Then there us the human are not ment to drink other animal milks.

But to your question I don't think it's bad as long as it is Raw milk. Other then that it roadkill milk.

AussieMuscle
09-27-2011, 04:47 AM
I only drink milk straight from a mothers teet. I just walk the shopping center looking for prams and BOOM... fresh milk

maximusmac
09-27-2011, 06:15 AM
^ I approve of this practice.

joe d
09-27-2011, 08:32 PM
yep as said above. but even that has some not so good qualities. milk straight from an organically raised cow into a dark jar is best. good luck finding that. i was lucky to get some once in a while. to all of those who say its dangerous, this family that runs the farm has drank it this way for generations and still do. they live old and are healthy people. they also eat everything of their own including chicken extremely rare.

Taylor Normandeau
09-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Yeah I honestly try to avoid milk except for when I indulge in some fine breakfast cereal cousine.

On a side note, I can get on board with human breast milk. What's the feedback on that? CRAZY GAINS!?!?! I have a pregnant wife at the moment so milk is on it's way....

ritch
09-27-2011, 11:57 PM
if you can digest the dairy sugar and don't mind looking kinda puffy, do for it. But when dieting, take it out...

NEEDTOBUILDMUSCLE.COM
09-28-2011, 07:26 AM
I support and believe in raw foods 100%.

Here is a great article from John Meadows and that fondly agree with:

I love raw milk. It tastes awesome, and it is unbelievably healthy. The same things that applied to grass fed beef, applies to grass fed dairy. You get more CLA, and Omega 3s. The Journal of Dairy Science did a study in 1999 on CLA in grass fed dairy, and found that it contains 500% more CLA then cows fed grain. You will also find this selection in the "fat" section on this website.

Are you starting to notice a trend? The best proteins have fats included. God knows best. In order to use protein best and fat soluble vitamins you need fat. Within fat, there is also an abundance of healthy nutrients!

Although this selection comes out the final 16 weeks before a contest for my physique competitors (my only exception is 1 tbsp of Grass-Fed butter daily), it's an absolutely great way to add lean muscle in the off-season. I really don't like to take it out pre-contest, but I do because experience has taught me dairy does seem to cause most to hold a layer of water under their skin, which isn't optimal for physique display! The ironic thing is that this is a good result of your skin being healthier! If you don't plan on competing, you can consume raw milk year round! Also notice I said RAW in addition to grass-fed. The nutritional value milk plummets due to pasteurization (Vitamin A is completely destroyed), and the proteins become more difficult to digest often creating strong immune system responses and allergies. The Weston A Price Foundation has a sister website called www.realmilk.com that is excellent in explaining the benefits of raw milk.

I do want to point out that I do not support consumption of pasteurized dairy you find in most stores at any time, and also that dairy is not necessary, or required. You will get plenty of Omega 3's from your salmon, grass-fed meats, and eggs. You should get enough Vitamin D from your eggs, fermented cod liver oil, and other additions to your diet. I say should because it is common to be deficient in D. There is a test called a 25 OH D test that everyone should take to determine if you are or not, and then react accordingly. You will get plenty of Vitamin A from Beef, occasional Liver, and certain veggies (with butter). Raw Milk does give you an excellent source of calcium (much more easy for your body to use than calcium from pasteurized milk), but you can get it green leafy veggies, broccoli, certain nuts and other foods as well. I wrestled around with this one for a while, but after having tried raw milk myself for an extended period of time, and seeing what it has done for many others in terms of their well-being, and lean muscle gains,. I think I would be remiss not adding this. The truth is that I look at raw milk as a very good supplement! Drink up!

Anabolic77
09-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Crap! You guys mean to tell me that the gallon of milk and large pizza diet is no good!?

Anabolic77
09-28-2011, 02:10 PM
All kidding aside, I stopped drinking milk awhile back but I love it. After reading this I looked up some places to buy raw milk and there are some raw goat milk places near by. Is goat milk raw just as good? I thought I read something awhile back that said goat milk was better than cows anyway.

FitnBuf
09-28-2011, 02:20 PM
No cow milk for me...only almond milk or coconut milk. I rarely have a purpose for milk as it is but if I needed to have it, cow milk would be last on my list.

I Eat Therefore I Am
09-28-2011, 04:13 PM
All kidding aside, I stopped drinking milk awhile back but I love it. After reading this I looked up some places to buy raw milk and there are some raw goat milk places near by. Is goat milk raw just as good? I thought I read something awhile back that said goat milk was better than cows anyway.

I've heard of some people being able to handle goats milk better than cow.

FitnBuf
09-28-2011, 04:27 PM
i only drink milk straight from a mothers teet. I just walk the shopping center looking for prams and boom... Fresh milk

Anabolic77
09-28-2011, 04:27 PM
It's hard for me not to drink milk. I grew up with my grandparents serving milk, meat and potatoes in some form everyday.

Anabolic77
09-28-2011, 04:28 PM

But are the benefits the same?

FitnBuf
09-28-2011, 04:29 PM
NOT normal......

Normal.....

Jussayin....;)

joe d
09-28-2011, 04:59 PM
But are the benefits the same?

no.

joe d
09-28-2011, 05:02 PM
NOT normal......

Normal.....

Jussayin....;)

some human babies have been raised from birth on evaporated cows milk along with many other species of animal with no issues. drinking a cows milk that hasnt been screwed with is healthier and more natural than eating the beef they sell in the market.

Anabolic77
09-28-2011, 05:33 PM
no.

So which one is better for us lifters?

FitnBuf
09-28-2011, 05:46 PM
some human babies have been raised from birth on evaporated cows milk along with many other species of animal with no issues. drinking a cows milk that hasnt been screwed with is healthier and more natural than eating the beef they sell in the market.

I'm not arguing with your opinion. Raw milk from good sources might be just fine and is deemed healthier then the screwed up milk in stores, but it doesnt mean cow "natural" for humans to drink. Majority of Americans depend on the disgusting milk found in grocery stores.

I am not a fan of dairy products any way. Some people I have debated this topic with cannot seem to live without it. I happen to be a person that KNOWS I can live healthier without it.

FitnBuf
09-28-2011, 05:48 PM
I remember Quantum Physiques touched on this for a moment but I will have to locate the clip at a later time.

Taylor Normandeau
09-28-2011, 06:35 PM
It's hard for me not to drink milk. I grew up with my grandparents serving milk, meat and potatoes in some form everyday.

I grew up being fed pizza pops and sandwiches, time to move on

joe d
09-28-2011, 08:41 PM

the cows

joe d
09-28-2011, 08:46 PM
I'm not arguing with your opinion. Raw milk from good sources might be just fine and is deemed healthier then the screwed up milk in stores, but it doesnt mean cow "natural" for humans to drink. Majority of Americans depend on the disgusting milk found in grocery stores.

I am not a fan of dairy products any way. Some people I have debated this topic with cannot seem to live without it. I happen to be a person that KNOWS I can live healthier without it.

would you consider beef natural to eat?

I Eat Therefore I Am
09-28-2011, 09:52 PM
would you consider beef natural to eat?

All omnivors and carnivors eat the flesh of other species. I think the point is that it's not natural for a mammals to drink the milk of another(accept for rare cases of need). Milk is nutritional and good for you but a lot of people are either lactose intolerant or have some kind of alergy to milk and that's probably the best reason to not consume dairy (especially uncultured dairy products). I am quite sure that more people handle beef better than cows milk. I am one of those people.
This is why I'm going to try goats milk. If it gives me problems too then I am done with milk. Above you say that goats milk is inferior to cows milk? I was unaware of this. Could you explain?

joe d
09-29-2011, 09:52 AM
All omnivors and carnivors eat the flesh of other species. I think the point is that it's not natural for a mammals to drink the milk of another(accept for rare cases of need). Milk is nutritional and good for you but a lot of people are either lactose intolerant or have some kind of alergy to milk and that's probably the best reason to not consume dairy (especially uncultured dairy products). I am quite sure that more people handle beef better than cows milk. I am one of those people.
This is why I'm going to try goats milk. If it gives me problems too then I am done with milk. Above you say that goats milk is inferior to cows milk? I was unaware of this. Could you explain?

the beef being unnatural was a joke. i understand what she meant.

goats milk when studied shows to be superior in every day use just like soy but when it comes to muscle mass we all know that soy is pretty low on the list. proteins from a cow weather it be milk or beef are the superior protein for building mass. if you cant handle it for whatever reason trying goats milk is probably a good idea

Anabolic77
09-29-2011, 04:46 PM
http://tapatalk.com/mu/47aae096-d8fe-58c6.jpg

Good shit!! Way better than I thought. 12.00 a gallon.

txhawkeyes
10-31-2011, 03:36 PM
I'm pretty much an absolute genious, so I googled Real Milk. Got this site called...wait for it.....

realmilk.com.

Pretty smart, aren't I !!!???!?!!!! :) LOL

I looked up my area, and found a farmer up the street about 20 minutes. I get gallons of raw milk (refridgerated) for 6 bucks a gallon. I am using it in my pre and post shakes, and I can say it is helping a little. Plus we give my kids about 4 ounces a day...just for good measure.

He also sells me Colostrum milk. He has it about once a month. It is thick, kinda gross, but tastes like thicker milk with a nutty flavor. I use that in my Pre shake, and it does give me extra energy. Its full of all kindsa good shit.

I am going to stay on the raw milk. We also have store bought in the fridge for daily use stuff... I need the help gaining. I am 6'1" and need all the good fat I can get to add muscle mass.

The part of the site that tells you who in your area to go to is.

http://www.realmilk.com/where1.html

Hope I don't get reprimanded for putting a link on here....it is a resource, and not a forum type deal.

Curt James
10-31-2011, 04:24 PM
http://tapatalk.com/mu/47aae096-d8fe-58c6.jpg

Good shit!! Way better than I thought. 12.00 a gallon.

12 what per gallon? :eek: That better be Philippine pesos.

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert/?Amount=12&From=PHP&To=USD

Curt James
10-31-2011, 04:27 PM
http://www.realmilk.com/where1.html

Hope I don't get reprimanded for putting a link on here....it is a resource, and not a forum type deal.

How DARE you attempt to share useful information!

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-MC4_HOze85c/TX1aaxrJW_I/AAAAAAAADdE/HkmmnmPSsfU/ban_hammer.jpg

Curt James
10-31-2011, 04:28 PM
(snip)lippine pesos.

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert/?Amount=12&From=PHP&To=USD

Oh.

Son of a...

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-MC4_HOze85c/TX1aaxrJW_I/AAAAAAAADdE/HkmmnmPSsfU/ban_hammer.jpg

Edit: Btw, Dave mentioned milk being directly connected to acne breakouts on a recent HMR.

txhawkeyes
10-31-2011, 05:17 PM
I can attesticle, ahh attestosterone, ahhhhhh I can ATTEST, that the raw milk does give a little acne. Nothing huge, and very small bumps...I think due to the fat.

First of all, I'd like to thank Dave himself. For ...
IT was HE, Famous Dave Palumbo, who steered me to raw milk in his interview with that dude with the Pony Tail. And to him, I am forever thankful....

Spacey
11-15-2011, 01:49 AM

That's definitely true for me. But the taste is quite different. I gave up all milk when I started my diet, and now I don't really miss it. (i cant remember what anything other than chick breast and sweet potato tastes like...) on my next cheat day, I might have some with a bowl of granola, though.

Tu Holmes
11-15-2011, 02:28 AM
Getting hit by a truck is bad for you... Milk... less so comparatively.

Spacey
11-19-2011, 02:24 AM
You can change the flavor if you dont like the flavor.
chicago personal trainer (http://www.chitownbootcampsblog.com/chicago-personal-trainer)

How do you propose to do that?

txhawkeyes
11-19-2011, 08:09 AM
I have noticed now in the last couple weeks, after drinking raw milk in pre and post shakes, that the extra good fat is kinda nice. I can tell I am getting a little help. And I don;t mean it makes me fat, it is helping my muskels fill out better.

I thawed a half gallon of Colostrum Thursday, and used it Friday morning in my pre shake. It gives me just a little bit of energy. Thick, and I don't necessarily like the taste of that stuff...glog glog glog...it's like drinking butter milk without the salty taste.

But I would encourage anyone to drink raw milk with training. Also give it to my daughters...about 4 ounces a day. They are doing great. Long run, there are sooooo many probiotics in it, I think it will help them stay healthy.

colloidalhealing
12-16-2011, 06:16 AM
nice post...

Curt James
12-16-2011, 07:46 AM
nice post...

^^^^ suspicious...

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer."
—Arnold Schwarzenegger

txhawkeyes
12-16-2011, 12:05 PM
ya know...you reach a point, where you finally pull your head out of your ass and realize you can make progress.

I am using Cow's milk, and have been for a couple months now. We use both that, and regular store milk... I use it in my pre, and post shakes, and we give my girls a little daily.

While watching a You Tube on protein yesterday, I thought back about all the lifting I did two years ago, and all the powder protein I went through. I mixed it in store milk, probably 1 %. Pooped it all out the next morning. Never gained much. The video pointed out to me again, the balance between Protein, Carbs, and Fat and how that all works together.

You can just about imagine how much fat (good) the Cow's milk has in it...and the balance of that, and a lot of carbs, with the protein pre and post w/o is really working well for me. Granted, my metabolism burns fat well...but....the combination is key. (I feel for all the newbies out there that think you just cram in protein powder to get bigger....so much more to it.) But I am liking that Natural Milk fat.

Would highly recommend anyone training trying to add muscle that they consider Cow's milk. You can find a farmer near most all med. sized towns that has it.

ritch
12-16-2011, 03:17 PM
^^^^ suspicious...

indeed, gonna have to keep an eye on this one, lol...

Ryan Bracewell
12-16-2011, 03:33 PM
I'm not sure if it would apply to raw milk, but I know many people have an allergy to the milk sold in supermarkets and don't even know it. They don't realize there is a problem because they have been drinking it there whole life, but once they stop will typically notice a reduction in size(typically in belly area) and they will feel better.

Curt James
12-16-2011, 03:43 PM
Getting hit by a truck is bad for you... Milk... less so comparatively.

Suspect that being hit by a milk truck would be the ultimate! :nonono: :eek:

Curt James
12-16-2011, 03:47 PM
nice post...

^^^^ suspicious...

indeed, gonna have to keep an eye on this one, lol...

The name alone sounds spammish.

Curt James
12-16-2011, 03:52 PM
In other news...

Is milk bad for you?

To pick a nit. :rolleyes: :dunno:

txhawkeyes
12-16-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm not sure if it would apply to raw milk, but I know many people have an allergy to the milk sold in supermarkets and don't even know it. They don't realize there is a problem because they have been drinking it there whole life, but once they stop will typically notice a reduction in size(typically in belly area) and they will feel better.

Don't get me wrong, I go both ways. (No Homo.) We use Cow's milk, from cows that are fed nothing but grass and wheat, no whoremones, etc. All natty cows. AND, we use store bought milk. Store milk is homogenized, and pasteurized....i.e..filtered and heat zapped. I believe the heat zapping actually kills some good bacteria that would help people who are lactose intolerant.

I'll stop..you read... :)

"Unheated milk contains its full complement of enzymes and lactase-producing bacteria needed by our bodies to break down and assimilate the milk sugar lactose. These helpful bacteria are killed in the
pasteurization/homogenization process."

Interesting, beings raw milk is not past. and homog... you could leave it out on the counter for hours and still drink it. I never would, but it takes care of itself, and would (short version) turn into curds and whey.

But store bot milk can't be left out for more than an hour....it starts to grow shit in it that makes you ill.

Raw milk does not have all those whoremones in it that they give the cow to lactate more often, to go through their egg producing cycle more often, to produce calves more often, etc, etc, etc. The dairy industy is taking cows, and modifying them as if they were Saturday night dirt track modified stock cars. Doing anything they can to make them do what they do...better, faster, more often, and last longer.

Okay, stepping down off pedestal. Stop shooting.....:p

Then again, there is the arguement that no other species tends to drink another species milk......so WTF....

WorkOutWonder
12-17-2011, 03:37 PM
I stopped drinking milk about 6 months ago I use to have it every day. I have watched way too many documentaries that scared me away from it...If I use milk now I use almond milk.

Pryme
12-17-2011, 11:05 PM
I stopped drinking milk a couple years ago. I now drink almond milk. blue diamond brand is the best. silk brand is disgusting. imo.

WorkOutWonder
12-18-2011, 01:56 AM
I stopped drinking milk a couple years ago. I now drink almond milk. blue diamond brand is the best. silk brand is disgusting. imo.
I can't do the silk brand either it has a weird taste. I agree blue diamond is way better!

txhawkeyes
12-18-2011, 09:15 AM
I stopped drinking breastfed milk when my Mother pulled me off her tits.

data4
12-18-2011, 03:53 PM
There is really no point in drinking milk. You can get the benefits of milk without all the sugar. Almond Milk is a better choice. One could probably make a good argument for raw milk though.

txhawkeyes
12-18-2011, 06:53 PM
There is really no point in drinking milk. You can get the benefits of milk without all the sugar. Almond Milk is a better choice. One could probably make a good argument for raw milk though.

I think you are right. We still use store bot milk at home...but quite frankly we just use it to heat up the the Nukerowave to make Oatmeal. Or we use it when the girls bake something...That and my girls drink it sometimes with a meal. But I don't know if there is much of anything good in it anymore. Almond milk would be the best choice...but when I checked, we went with Rice Milk instead due to cost. For a family, you can go through a LOT of milk, and Almond Milk would put us in the poor house.

I am using Raw milk in my pre and post shakes. Love it...and it is full of good stuff. That said, it has a lot of fat in it. I'm an Ecto, and love the good fat. But we only give my girls about 4-5 ounces a day...
That, and my one daughter is a little Ecto too...and the Raw Milk sets in her stomach longer in the morning, and takes longer to digest due to that fat. So when she is at school, having that in her stomach helps her stay in a good state to study and learn.....whereas before she was coming up empty in a couple hours, and it was making it impossible for her to concentrate after that.

Everything I am saying, filter it with the fact that I am an Ecto and trying to gain. I hit 205 this week, all time high for me. A buddy of mine at the gym that is a trainer put on 4 pounds in a week..the week I gave him a gallon of Raw Milk. It ain't for everyone.

With my other daughter....we thin the raw milk down with some water...so she gets a little less.

Not suprised the gal mentioned she gave up milk. I don't know many women that wouldn't say the same thing. For guys trying to add muscle and mass, it really comes in handy. Full of a TON of good stuff, Amino's, etc, etc, plus the good fat.

tinytim
12-19-2011, 03:43 AM
milk is for babies

and ME!!!!!

78up
12-19-2011, 05:43 AM
I love milk, hell i used to drink a gallon a day. Whole milk is great for bulking, but after a few weeks it makes me sick. Too much fat/lactose intake???

In a pinch, I sometimes slam a quart of whole chocolate milk pwo. I dont think milk is bad in moderation.

On a lighter note, thru extensive nipple suckling, my nonprego wife now produces a small amount of breast milk. :yep:

pfunk
12-22-2011, 04:55 PM
I think you are right. We still use store bot milk at home...but quite frankly we just use it to heat up the the Nukerowave to make Oatmeal. Or we use it when the girls bake something...That and my girls drink it sometimes with a meal. But I don't know if there is much of anything good in it anymore. Almond milk would be the best choice...but when I checked, we went with Rice Milk instead due to cost. For a family, you can go through a LOT of milk, and Almond Milk would put us in the poor house.

I am using Raw milk in my pre and post shakes. Love it...and it is full of good stuff. That said, it has a lot of fat in it. I'm an Ecto, and love the good fat. But we only give my girls about 4-5 ounces a day...
That, and my one daughter is a little Ecto too...and the Raw Milk sets in her stomach longer in the morning, and takes longer to digest due to that fat. So when she is at school, having that in her stomach helps her stay in a good state to study and learn.....whereas before she was coming up empty in a couple hours, and it was making it impossible for her to concentrate after that.

Everything I am saying, filter it with the fact that I am an Ecto and trying to gain. I hit 205 this week, all time high for me. A buddy of mine at the gym that is a trainer put on 4 pounds in a week..the week I gave him a gallon of Raw Milk. It ain't for everyone.

With my other daughter....we thin the raw milk down with some water...so she gets a little less.

Not suprised the gal mentioned she gave up milk. I don't know many women that wouldn't say the same thing. For guys trying to add muscle and mass, it really comes in handy. Full of a TON of good stuff, Amino's, etc, etc, plus the good fat.

I've heard good things about raw milk before. Searched to see if anyone carried it in vegas, but none. There are some places in Cali and I'm going to try and get some when I visit this weekend for the Holiday

78up
12-23-2011, 01:02 AM
I think it's actually illegal to sell raw milk in some areas.

Spacey
12-23-2011, 01:19 AM
I think it's actually illegal to sell raw milk in some areas.

Yup. In NY and CT I think you can sell it within a mile or two of the farm. Not exactly sure of the precise limit, but I was in litchfield county they sold it in some of the general stores. It tastes grassy.

Sent using Tapatalk

txhawkeyes
12-23-2011, 10:25 AM
I've heard good things about raw milk before. Searched to see if anyone carried it in vegas, but none. There are some places in Cali and I'm going to try and get some when I visit this weekend for the Holiday

If you go to www.realmilk.com (http://www.realmilk.com) you can look up your area to see who is close. Reno is the only place in Nevada...go figure...probably hard to feed cows in Nevada on that terrain...esp. when you have to grow real grass and wheat? But if you look up Cali, there are a hundred of em...probably several close to where you are going. Plus it is legal to see in stores in
Cali too, as I recall.

Anabolic77
12-23-2011, 04:29 PM

When you guys say almond milk. Is it the blue diamond vanilla sweetened, vanilla unsweetened or just regular ?

Spacey
12-23-2011, 05:32 PM
^^^. Avoid the sweetened kinds. That's just added sugar. Silk brand taste better than vita-soy or Blue Diamond, IMO. I used to drink regular almond and soy milk. The flavor of both is ok, but soy tastes better, especially in coffee.

Sent using Tapatalk

Anabolic77
12-24-2011, 02:13 PM
^^^. Avoid the sweetened kinds. That's just added sugar. Silk brand taste better than vita-soy or Blue Diamond, IMO. I used to drink regular almond and soy milk. The flavor of both is ok, but soy tastes better, especially in coffee.

Sent using Tapatalk

What's the benefit of drinking almond milk? I saw it only had like 1g of protein per 8oz. Is it just a better alternative if you have to have milk or something?

data4
12-24-2011, 10:13 PM
When you guys say almond milk. Is it the blue diamond vanilla sweetened, vanilla unsweetened or just regular ?

Def go for unsweetened. If it is Blue Diamond it will actually say unsweetened on the carton.

data4
12-24-2011, 10:15 PM
What's the benefit of drinking almond milk? I saw it only had like 1g of protein per 8oz. Is it just a better alternative if you have to have milk or something?

I would get your protein from other sources. Trying to get your protein from milk isnt the best idea. Yes it does contain quality protein but there is nearly double the sugar than protein. Almond milk is low calorie and can be used in shakes or other places you use milk. It does contain the essential fatty acids you would find in almonds as well.

Spacey
12-24-2011, 11:26 PM

That's not right. Some brands have as much protein as regular milk. But I agree with data4, there are better sources of protein. I am lactose intolerant, so I used it in coffee and shakes. Now I just drink coffee black and use water in shakes.

txhawkeyes
12-25-2011, 10:32 AM
...okay, before you jump my shit, I am NOT saying raw milk is for everyone, NOT saying it is a great source for protein, NOT saying it dudn't have sugar in it, NOT saying it is the best thing ever.....

...Juuusssssst sayin..there is a lot about it that is not widely known. For example, for lactose intolerant, ...pasteurization destroys some of the good bacteria you need that you don't get in store bot milk...and lactose intolerant folks usually get along very well with raw milk.

Also, keep in mind I love the butter fat, the sugar, etc, as my system burns that shit up as fast as i can get it into my ectormorphian self. This is just FYI for you so you know more about it. That's it. Good or bad.

Pasteurization (http://www.realmilk.com/past_index.html) destroys enzymes (http://www.realmilk.com/enzyme.html), diminishes vitamin content, denatures fragile milk proteins, destroys vitamins C, B12 and B6, kills beneficial bacteria, promotes pathogens and is associated with allergies, increased tooth decay, colic in infants, growth problems in children, osteoporosis, arthritis, heart disease and cancer. Calves fed pasteurized milk do poorly and many die before maturity. Raw milk (http://www.realmilk.com/raw.html) sours naturally but pasteurized milk turns putrid; processors must remove slime and pus from pasteurized milk by a process of centrifugal clarification. Inspection of dairy herds for disease is not required for pasteurized milk. Pasteurization was instituted in the 1920s to combat TB, infant diarrhea, undulant fever and other diseases caused by poor animal nutrition and dirty production methods. But times have changed and modern stainless steel tanks, milking machines, refrigerated trucks and inspection methods make pasteurization absolutely unnecessary for public protection. And pasteurization does not always kill the bacteria for Johne’s disease suspected of causing Crohn's disease in humans with which most confinement cows are infected. Much commercial milk is now ultra-pasteurized to get rid of heat-resistant bacteria and give it a longer shelf life. Ultra-pasteurization is a violent process that takes milk from a chilled temperature to above the boiling point in less than two seconds. Clean raw milk from certified healthy cows is available commercially in several states and may be bought directly from the farm in many more. (Sources are listed on www.realmilk.com (http://www.realmilk.com/where2.html).)

...Raw cow's milk has all 20 of the standard amino acids, which saves our bodies the work of having to convert any into usable form. About 80% of the proteins in milk are caseins (reasonably heat stable but easy to digest). The other 20% fall into the class of whey proteins. These are also easy to digest, but also very heat sensitive.(i.e. harmed under pasteurization.)

We have been taught that pasteurization is a good thing, a method of protecting ourselves against infectious diseases, but closer examination reveals that its merits have been highly exaggerated. The modern milking machine and stainless steel tank, along with efficient packaging and distribution, make pasteurization totally unnecessary for the purposes of sanitation. And pasteurization is no guarantee of cleanliness. All outbreaks of salmonella from contaminated milk in recent decades — and there have been many — have occurred in pasteurized milk. This includes a 1985 outbreak in Illinois that struck 14,316 people causing at least one death. The salmonella strain in that batch of pasteurized milk was found to be genetically resistant to both penicillin and tetracycline. Raw milk contains lactic-acid-producing bacteria that protect against pathogens. Pasteurization destroys these helpful organisms, leaving the finished product devoid of any protective mechanism should undesirable bacteria inadvertently contaminate the supply. Raw milk in time turns pleasantly sour while pasteurized milk, lacking beneficial bacteria, will putrefy.
But that's not all that pasteurization does to milk. Heat alters milk's amino acids lysine and tyrosine, making the whole complex of proteins less available; it promotes rancidity of unsaturated fatty acids and destruction of vitamins. Vitamin C loss in pasteurization usually exceeds 50%; loss of other water-soluble vitamins can run as high as 80%; the Wulzen or anti-stiffness factor is totally destroyed. Pasteurization alters milk's mineral components such as calcium, chlorine, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and sulphur as well as many trace minerals, making them less available. There is some evidence that pasteurization alters lactose, making it more readily absorbable. This, and the fact that pasteurized milk puts an unnecessary strain on the pancreas to produce digestive enzymes, may explain why milk consumption in civilized societies has been linked with diabetes.
Last but not least, pasteurization destroys all the enzymes in milk— in fact, the test for successful pasteurization is absence of enzymes. These enzymes help the body assimilate all bodybuilding factors, including calcium. That is why those who drink pasteurized milk may suffer, nevertheless, from osteoporosis. Lipase in raw milk helps the body digest and utilize butterfat. After pasteurization, chemicals may be added to suppress odor and restore taste. Synthetic vitamin D2 or D3 is added — the former is toxic and has been linked to heart disease while the latter is difficult to absorb. The final indignity is homogenization which has also been linked to heart disease.
Powdered skim milk is added to the most popular varieties of commercial milk— one-percent and two-percent milk. Commercial dehydration methods oxidize cholesterol in powdered milk, rendering it harmful to the arteries. High temperature drying also creates large quantities of nitrate compounds, which are potent carcinogens.
Modern pasteurized milk, devoid of its enzyme content, puts an enormous strain on the body's digestive mechanism. In the elderly, and those with milk intolerance or inherited weaknesses of digestion, this milk passes through not fully digested and can clog the tiny villi of the small intestine, preventing the absorption of vital nutrients and promoting the uptake of toxic substances. The result is allergies, chronic fatigue and a host of degenerative diseases.
All the healthy milk-drinking populations studied by Dr. Price subsisted on raw milk, raw cultured milk or raw cheese from normal animals eating fresh grass or fodder. It is very difficult to find this kind of milk in America. In California and Georgia, raw milk was formerly available in health food stores. Intense harassment by state sanitation authorities has all but driven raw milk from the market in these states, in spite of the fact that it is technically legal. Even when available, this milk suffers from the same drawbacks as most supermarket milk — it comes from freak-pituitary cows, often raised in crowded barns on inappropriate feed. In some states you can buy raw milk at the farm. If you can find a farmer who will sell you raw milk from old fashioned Jersey or Guernsey cows, allowed to feed on fresh pasturage, then by all means avail yourself of this source. Some stores now carry pasteurized, but not homogenized, milk from cows raised on natural feed. Such milk may be used to make cultured milk products such as kefir, yoghurt, cultured buttermilk and cultured cream. Traditionally cultured buttermilk, which is low in casein but high in lactic acid, is often well tolerated by those with milk allergies, and gives excellent results when used to soak whole grain flours for baking. If you cannot find good quality raw milk, you should limit your consumption of milk products to cultured milk, cultured buttermilk, whole milk yoghurt, butter, cream and raw cheeses. Raw cheese ia available in all states. Much imported cheese is raw — look for the words "milk" or "fresh milk" on the label — and of very high quality.

....Now the facts...

What's in Raw Milk?

http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/images/RawMilkLabelLores.jpg
Just what is in raw milk? Think of it is as an oil/water emulsion. It's also known in some circles as a colloidal suspension.
To make every gallon of milk, a cow must pump from 600-800 gallons of blood through her udder. Think of that next time you pour yourself a glass. That cow poured her heart into it!

Whole raw milk's composition varies slightly among cow species, type of food and other conditions, so the figures below (and, at right, from a commercial raw milk dairy) are only approximations.

Here's a rough breakdown in percent of total volume: Water 87.3%

Milk Fats 3.9%

Non-fat Solids (Protein, Milk Sugar, Immune Factors, etc.) 8.8%

http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/images/MilkCompositionGPH.jpg
A. Casein Proteins (~80% of Total Milk Protein-TMP)
1. Alpha s1 [30.6%]
2. Alpha s2 [8.0%]
3. Beta [28.4%]
4. Kappa [10.1%]
B. Whey Proteins (~20% of TMP)
1. Alpha lactalbumin [3.7%]
2. Beta lactoglobulin [9.8%]
3. Bovine Serum Albumin (BSA) [1.2%]
4. Immuoglobulins [2.1%]
5. Proteose peptone [2.4%]

Milk Sugar (Lactose) 4.6%

Minerals 0.65%
Calcium
Phosphorus
Magnesium
Potassium
Sodium
Zinc
Chlorine
Iron
Copper
Sulfates
Bicarbonates
Trace Elements

Acids 0.18%
Citric
Formic
Acetic
Lactic
Oxalic

Vitamins/Enzymes 0.12%

http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/images/NonFatVersionFinal.jpg

Raw Milk Fats: Few words are as highly charged in the food world as "fat." Perhaps "lipid" would be a better word. Please see my Fat Primer (http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/fat_primer_T3.html) for images and more information on this wonderful, energy-laden food group.
In milk, more than 95% of the fats form into spherical shaped objects called globules from 0.1 to 15 microns in diameter (that's pretty tiny- a micron is a millionth of a meter, or roughly 25,400 to the inch.)

Just over 98% of the lipids in milk are in the class known as triglycerides- a glycerol molecule (glycerin) with three fatty acids (http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/fatty_acids_T3.html) (of various lengths and saturations) attached. There are ten major fatty acids found in milk to varying degree:

Butyric Acid 4 (# of Carbon atoms)
Caproic Acid 6
Caprylic Acid 8
Capric Acid 10
Lauric Acid 12
Myristic Acid 14
Palmitic Acid 16
Stearic Acid 18
Oleic Acid 18:1 (one double bond)
CLA 18:2 (two double bonds)

Milk also contains cholesterol, another controversial and dreaded word. For the most part, it's located in the cores of fat globules, and amounts to roughly 0.3% of all milk lipids. The less we get in our diets, the more our bodies make on their own. Check out my Cholesterol Primer (http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/cholesterol_primer_T3.html) to get the straight scoop on why this much-maligned substance is essential to our health.

Raw Milk Proteins:
Proteins are complex molecules comprised of long chains of amino acids. Depending on interactions between some of the amino acids, the molecules can twist into helical formations or pleated sheets (secondary structure). Tertiary proteins undergo further coiling and folding. When clustered together somewhat spherically, they are known as globular proteins. Fibrous tertiary proteins are formed when two or more long strands of amino acids form links along their length.
The caseins, normally highly digestible in the intestinal tract, are relatively heat stable. Being secondary in structure, and so without much complex structure to unravel, they survive the heat of pasteurization (145-160 deg. F.) fairly well. After ultra-high temperature (UHT) pasteurization (280-305°F./138-152°C.) their fate is uncertain.
The whey proteins,including the immunoglobulins, are very sensitive to heat (heat labile) and denature well below the heat of normal pasteurization.
Incidentally, the denaturation of whey protein affects the whiteness of milk. Milk gets whiter after it's processed.
By the way, did I mention that not all raw milk is the same? It's not. Check my About Raw Milk page to find out why.

Milk Sugar:
Lactose, the first carbohydrate most baby mammals ever taste, is actually made up of two simple sugars, glucose and galactose, making it a disaccharide. Cow's milk hovers at around 5% lactose (human milk averages a bit higher at just over 7% by comparison). It's got a fairly low glycemic index (doesn't boost insulin levels very quickly) and so is better tolerated by diabetics.
As some people age, their levels of lactase, the enzyme needed to digest lactose, drop significantly. When they consume heat treated dairy products with no remaining food enzyme activity, they lack sufficient lactase to break the milk sugar down, and suffer numerous unpleasant symptoms, notably gas and bloating. Not fun. But raw milk, with live, friendly lactobacilli, has its bacterially-produced lactase intact, so chances are good these folks may be able to tolerate it.
Another way to enjoy the benefits of dairy with almost none of the lactose, is to eat fermented products such as yogurt and kefir (http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/kefir_T3.html). The friendly microbes, during the fermentation process, have consumed pretty much all the lactose, turning it into the sour tasting lactic acid that's such a powerful antimicrobial agent.
Raw milk cheeses are another tasty way to enjoy dairy without the lactose. Again, most of the lactose is consumed in the fermentation process.

Minerals in Raw Milk:

The mineral content of milk varies with a host of conditions as well. Soil quality, geographical location, species of cow, health of the animal- all these factors and more come into play.

Accesibility to raw milk's mineral content is dependent upon its enzymes and other factors remaining functional. Here are some approximate values for mineral levels in the average quart of raw milk:

Mineral Content per quart (Typical range):

Sodium__330-850mg
Potassium__1040-1600mg
Chloride__850-1040mg
Calcium__1040-1225mg
Magnesium__85-130mg
Phosphorus__850-940mg
Iron__280-570ug
Zinc__1880-5660ug
Copper__95-570ug
Manganese__19-47ug
Iodine __~245ug
Fluoride__28-207ug
Selenium__4.7-63ug
Cobalt__0.47-1.23ug
Chromium__7.5-12.3ug
Molybdenum__17-113ug
Nickel__0-47ug
Silicon__700-6600ug
Vanadium__trace-290ug
Tin__38-470ug
Arsenic__19-57ug

Vitamins in Raw Milk:

Raw milk contains every known fat and water soluble vitamin. To get them all, make sure you drink whole raw milk or you'll miss those lost in the skimming process.
Vitamin C levels, already fairly low in cow's milk (typically less than 20mg/quart- about half the level found in human milk), have been shown to drop further when exposed to ultraviolet light such as from sunlight or fluorescent lights. Store it in the dark at home, and ask your store to look into UV filters for their cold-case lights. Here are some approximate but typical amounts of vitamins found in raw milk:

Vitamin Content per quart (Approximate):

A__375ug
C__19mg
D__38IU
E__940ug
K__47ug
B1__425ug
B2__1650ug
Niacin__850ug
B6__470ug
Pantothenic acid__3300ug
Biotin__33ug
Folic acid__52ug
B12__4.25ug

Enzymes in Raw Milk:

Yet another controversial topic, and important enough to deserve a website all its own, the enzymes in raw milk are crucial in making it the valuable healing food it is.
The arguments range from their having no digestive benefit because they can't withstand the acid environment of the stomach, to outright denial of their existence.

No one can truthfully or knowingly deny that these powerful but fragile protein-based substances are in milk for a purpose. Getting people to agree on that purpose is another matter entirely!

To understand their importance, it's helpful to know what enzymes are, and what they do in foods and in our bodies.

Basically, enzymes are complex forms of protein (made out of amino acids) that can change (catalyze) other substances without taking part in the reaction themselves. In digestion, for instance, they help break down starches, fats and proteins into chunks the body can use.

Here's a list of the more important enzymes (http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/enzymes_T3.html) in raw milk:

Amylase
Catalase
Lactase-(through bacterial synthesis)
Lactoperoxidase
Lipase
Phosphatase

Spacey
12-25-2011, 12:35 PM
^^^ huh? Who is "jumping your shit"? Guy asked about almond milk (sweetened vs unsweetened), and there are a few replies on the advantages and disadvantagesAnd everyone agreed raw has certain health benefits over pasteurized milk. Calm down and enjoy your Christmas.

txhawkeyes
12-25-2011, 06:04 PM
^^^ huh? Who is "jumping your shit"? Guy asked about almond milk (sweetened vs unsweetened), and there are a few replies on the advantages and disadvantagesAnd everyone agreed raw has certain health benefits over pasteurized milk. Calm down and enjoy your Christmas.

Reread the first couple lines again, and you will read it more clearly.

It also says a little later that the info is just FYI, good or bad....etc.

This thread has a couple pages of entrants on it....you aren't the only
one who has posted. Don't worry so much. I have used Almond Milk and liked it...although favorite was Rice Milk. I also said back a page that we have about half raw milk and have store bot milk. Don't let it bother you.

Spacey
12-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Reread the first couple lines again, and you will read it more clearly.

It also says a little later that the info is just FYI, good or bad....etc.

This thread has a couple pages of entrants on it....you aren't the only
one who has posted. Don't worry so much. I have used Almond Milk and liked it...although favorite was Rice Milk. I also said back a page that we have about half raw milk and have store bot milk. Don't let it bother you.
lol @ you thinking I worried. Weren't you were the one fretting that people are "jumping on your shit", using all caps and posting disquisitions.

Anyway, let's not get into a snit that drags this thread off topic. It's Christmas, after all. Hope you had a good one!

txhawkeyes
12-25-2011, 07:31 PM
lol @ you thinking I worried. Weren't you were the one fretting that people are "jumping on your shit", using all caps and posting disquisitions.

Anyway, let's not get into a snit that drags this thread off topic. It's Christmas, after all. Hope you had a good one!

"Disquisitions?" Man, finally a guy on here who doesn't rely on the word Fuck all the time to make a point.

I wasn't ranting at all...just throwing up a bunch of FYI stuff. I didn't write hardly any of it ! It's 2011, I PLAGERIZED most ALL of it ! :)
After the Good or Bad...it's all stolen stuff !

If it was not for the fat...I would probably live on it....and I think a lot of people would consider it. And when I say the word Fat, I mean this.....we bot two gallons last Sunday, they tend to last at least 20 days or so in the fridge. With my daughters having a little daily just for the hell of it and all the good stuff, we went through a gallon in the first 6 days. I then opened the 2nd gallon (It had been in fridge next to the other, but unopened for the 6 days..) and there was ....this is kinda gross when you look at it, thinking about the fact that it comes outta cows teets....there is like a half inch of butter fat built up just under the cap in the top of the gallon !!! I drink a little out, then shake the heck outta the gallon, but it is somewhat gross when I first open it. You just don't see stuff like that in the grocery store everyday !!!!!:drool:

No disrespect Bud, just there is so much to wanted to get back to the title of the thread....is Milk Bad for You.. There is sooooooo much they inject into cows now a days to make them produce milk twice as often, to hatch new calves as fast as possible, and to grow as fast as possible. The problem that really bothers to me as I raise kids, is that my kids then consume all the shit that they inject into cows...much less all the chemicals they put on crops. If I died, it wouldn't bother me at all,..just think of the uninterupted sleep! !! But my kids have another 70 years on the planet. And don't worry, not a tree hugger at all...I know that is what companies and farms are doing to stay alive and make money, esp. right now. It's just depressing to think of all the junk in food.

Spacey
12-25-2011, 07:49 PM
^^ sorry if I misunderstood. I do sympathize with your concern, especially about the kids. In my case all the damage is already done, lol. But raw milk from grass fed cows is the way to go if you can afford it.

Curt James
01-25-2012, 02:26 AM
Its good for best health and fitness .... so we should use it daily, it has many calories and power ..... :)

So your thing is going to be beverages, is that it?

Uh, welcome to Rx Muscle.

I guess.

Braeden1
05-29-2012, 02:10 AM
Milk is essential for bodybuilding i think, we should drink daily
plenty of milk if we want to build our muscles, soon with good
results.

Bryan Hildebrand
05-29-2012, 11:44 AM
the downside to almond milk is its complete lack of nutrients. there is really nothing there but a little protein and fat. $ for $, I would stick with water.

with that said, my preference is whole milk from our local dairy farmer. we get it same day and the taste is unbeatable.

seanmech
05-29-2012, 03:29 PM
the downside to almond milk is its complete lack of nutrients. there is really nothing there but a little protein and fat. $ for $, I would stick with water.

with that said, my preference is whole milk from our local dairy farmer. we get it same day and the taste is unbeatable.

Whole milk grows muscle love it!!

Braeden1
06-02-2012, 05:49 AM
Milk is essential for bodybuilding i think, we should drink daily
plenty of milk if we want to build our muscles, soon with good
results.
For More Info (http://www.prweb.com/releases/chicago-personal-trainer/01/prweb8985418.htm)

georgeman22
07-30-2012, 07:44 PM
I don't think, that a glass of milk is not good for health but an excess quantity might be dangerous, as you know Excess of everything is bad so this case also apply on milk :)

Hoss06
08-13-2012, 09:39 PM
I see it as a good replacement for those cutting as its less cals without the extra sugar, carbs, and fat.