PDA

View Full Version : Excercises for the transverse abs/girdle area.

lock_it_up
04-05-2009, 03:17 PM
I'm a pretty tall guy as far as bodybuilding goes. (I'm 6'3'') My last contest I was the leanest I have ever been and I didn't notice what I am noticing now.

What I am noticing is that I can see what appears to be my ribcage, yes ribcage not serratus or anything else, even though I am at my heaviest weight ever sitting right around 235lbs. It's very awkward looking. I look thick everywhere except for there. For some reference, here is a picture I randomly found of someone who has this same kinda thing going on...he's not lean really by any means, yet you can see his ribs it appears. The attached photo is really the only thing I can compare it too.

I also tend to hold my fat in the hip/lower belly region but not really anywhere else, just incase this may help determining my problem.

If I crunch down on my obliques/serratus I can clearly see contraction of muscle over my ribcage, but none the less I am still seeing ribs.

This just doesn't seem right for someone of my size and development. Am I just tall and awkwardly built, or am I freaking out over nothing?

I talked to a physiologist and he said I need to maybe build up my tranverse abs/girlde area.

For reference, I do heavy squats, deadlifts, overhead presses along with ab work, so I don't know what is going on.

Any one have any insight?

lock_it_up
04-07-2009, 05:22 PM
No one has any thoughts or input?

Is it because I misspelled exercise in the title, or because of the MD logos? lol:p

billy mimnaugh
04-08-2009, 11:45 AM
If you want to thicken up the area,try doing hanging leg raises either hanging off a chin bar or by using one of those ab/dip stations.Try and get chains and drape them from your feet.If you cant get chains,get a dumbell and hold it between your feet.Get a good stretch and really crunch your body into the knees as you bring the legs up.

Second,do standing rope crunches.Do these the same way you would do kneeling rope crunches except your standing away from the machine.Again,stretch out and really crunch.

Lastly,try doing zercher squats on your back day.Do a google search on these[elitefts has examples on their web site].Do sets of 5 as heavy as you can.These will thicken up your whole abdominal area.

lock_it_up
04-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Lastly,try doing zercher squats on your back day.Do a google search on these[elitefts has examples on their web site].Do sets of 5 as heavy as you can.These will thicken up your whole abdominal area.

Haven't thought of this one. I love zercher squats too! I just don't use them enough.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Youngguns
04-08-2009, 04:16 PM
I can't help you sorry. But I can't believe that guy competed.

lock_it_up
04-08-2009, 07:54 PM
I can't help you sorry. But I can't believe that guy competed.

He probably just did it because it was a goal of his. No harm in that. I give him props. It's tough to actually step on stage.