PDA

View Full Version : Excercises to work around Elbow Tendonitis ?

txhawkeyes
11-06-2011, 02:14 PM
In Q n A with Dr Joe, I read all about Tendonitis. I try to ice it, and taking Mobic daily. It is manageable, but after a couple years it is a pain in the rear. I have it in my right elbow, both top and bottom. Now it is starting in the left also.

And, before someone jumps in and says, "You are lifting with bad form, and that is why..." Okay, I get it, I have lifted with bad form, and that is probably why I have it. I get that part, thanks. :)

My week looks like this. M Shoulders n Calves T Back and Bi's W Chest and Tris Th Legs (Sq n Deads, etc) and if it does not hurt too bad, on
F or S do Bis and Tris again by themselves

And again, before someone jumps in and says, "You are an idiot, stupid workout schedule..." Okay. Fine. But that is not my question, and often times I move the days around depending on how I feel that day.

The elbow pain bothers me the most after working Biceps. It is okay with the other training days....mostly get pain after and during Biceps stuff.

My question is this.

Are there excercises for Bicep lifts that would be slightly easier on the tendonitis. I would imagine better form, and a little lighter is a gimme too.... I have grown my Biceps a little bit, and don't want to ignore them completely. And even when I take a couple weeks off, seems like I still have to lift something and they get bothered...suitcases on trips, etc.

Any ideas for Biceps ?

Thanks in advance.

Mac
11-06-2011, 04:46 PM
A wear an adjustable velcro strap around my upper forearm to relieve symptoms of tennis elbow, or repetitive stress injury.

I also wore it outside the gym doing anything that involve squeezing, or using the forearms. It took a couple of months, but that did the trick for me a few times.

Hammerfit
11-06-2011, 06:01 PM
As Steve suggested use a wrap around your forearm. You can also wear a neoprene sleeve over your elbow which will help keep it warm.

The quickest solution is to take your wrist wrap and use it over your forearm while doing the bicep exercise.

The other thing I do personally is to avoid any kind of bicep exercise that is not supported. What works for me: Preacher bench any kind of curl or Arnold concentration curls.

txhawkeyes
11-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Guys, thanks. I have been wearing a tight sleeve on it for a year now. And since Summer, I have the band deal thingy that I acually
wear over the sleeve, at the forearm. And yes, I do tighten it. BUT...I have to pull on it to the point that the my hand turns red when I lift Biceps, just to do the lift. And yes, I understand, probably not a great idea because I should probably just back off and not lift with it. But I have come so far in 30 months........

I have had this for two years. It hurts. Just need any ideas for Bicep lifts.

Thanks Hammer. Makes sense...I have been doing unsupported stuff for 4 weeks now. Bicep growing, but level of pain is too !!! :)

I will try those two ideas.

Any other Bicep lifts anyone would recommend ?

mrky03
11-06-2011, 07:37 PM
I've had bouts of it myself mostly triceps tendonitis. Aside from lifting technique I have found omega 3,6,9 capsules to really alleviate inflamation. Way better than ibuprofen. I use 9 1000mg capsules a day. Got this from Dave Goodin.

blackdove
11-07-2011, 01:47 AM
If it's indeed tennis elbow (or lateral epicondylitis), then I suggest these tennis elbow exercises (http://www.blackdovenest.com/2010/01/tennis-elbow-instant-relief.html) that have helped alleviate pain for me.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-GZhcQYDRhoM/S14tJQLYG5I/AAAAAAAAFvs/VDtTVb3wvOQ/s400/dsc01848-1.jpg

For long term strengthening of the forearms, here are some forearm exercises (http://www.blackdovenest.com/2009/12/how-to-get-rid-of-tennis-elbow.html) you can do. You only need an adjustable dumbbell and plates to perform these exercises. Hope these help.

txhawkeyes
11-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Awesome Black. We used to do those when I was a kid in the gym....no idea they might help elbows.

I'm all over it !!!!!:yep:

txhawkeyes
11-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Black, Got them done today over lunch.

They have a free rolling short straight bar, hooked it up to cables, and
I can rotate it forever. Held it out, arms straight, I think it was on 25 lbs. Did 4 sets of 20 (on ea wrist) I got sore in new areas I have never
felt before in my arms !!!! I will keep doin em too....great idea.

txhawkeyes
11-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Black, did em again. Seems to maybe help it...soon, but we'll see.

I stopped and bought a bottle of Canola Oil last night. I shopped everywhere for Omega 3 fish/whatever oil, and they all cost plenty, and
could only find 1000 mg per pill.

Then I looked, and 1 tbspn Canola Oil has about 1200 mg Omega 3, so
I will just take 3. Can mix it in shake, or mix it with food.

OR DO SHOTS ! !!!!:drunk:

My body has no problem with a little fat, much less good fat. So we'll see what happens. Everywhere I looked it said, Omega 3 helps tendonitis.