PDA

View Full Version : What Meals to eat when dealing with IBS?

billyjr
11-06-2011, 07:55 PM
I suffer like many americans with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), and Lactose Intolerance as well. I can't eat eggs, milk (use lactaid instead) spicy foods, anything really acidic, and protein shakes tend to make me go to the bathroom frequently.

Any ideas on what foods I could use in place of some of the foods I listed above. I have been skinny all my life due to my medical history and I am really trying to put on some size this off-season. Any ideas on protein shakes that are relatively easy on the stomach and what foods I could use that are bland and easily digestible.

I work 9-5, and I usually eat dinner around 7pm, go to the gym at 9:15PM. Could anyone just post up a sample meal plan as well. Im 5'10 148 Pounds.

Thanks

Billy-

NEEDTOBUILDMUSCLE.COM
11-07-2011, 03:49 PM
I suffer like many americans with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), and Lactose Intolerance as well. I can't eat eggs, milk (use lactaid instead) spicy foods, anything really acidic, and protein shakes tend to make me go to the bathroom frequently.

Any ideas on what foods I could use in place of some of the foods I listed above. I have been skinny all my life due to my medical history and I am really trying to put on some size this off-season. Any ideas on protein shakes that are relatively easy on the stomach and what foods I could use that are bland and easily digestible.

I work 9-5, and I usually eat dinner around 7pm, go to the gym at 9:15PM. Could anyone just post up a sample meal plan as well. Im 5'10 148 Pounds.

Thanks

Billy-
IDS is tough man. IMO, its do best to stick with tuna, egg whites, chicken and fish for protein; baked potatoes/yams, brown rice, whole wheat bread (Wonder Soft) and some fruit for carbs; and steamed/cooked veggies like broccoli for fiber. Simply Jif and, if you can tolerate them, bananas, on the whole wheat bread in between meals adds a good bit of calories without having to eat junk food and/or dairy to get them.

Good luck, man, and keep on pumping.

I Eat Therefore I Am
11-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Personaly, I'd fix my IBS before trying to gain weight. A serious problem like that will be a great hindrance to weight gain and other health goals. Do you have an idea of what causes yours? Maybe high stress or poor diet or both. It might be a good idea to do a fast/cleanse then slowing add different foods back in to your diet. Have you seen a dietition about it?

If none of the above sounds good to you then my two recomendations would be to cut out all non-cultured dairy products (maybe try goats milk) and use pea protein instead of whey. A lot of people have more problems with dairy than just lactose intolerance. The pea protein doesn't have as much leucine as whey, so you might want to add some.

bodybuilding0841
11-07-2011, 08:06 PM
hope this can be a big help for you I just try searching it in google

The 10 Commandments of Eating for IBS

Always eat soluble fiber first, eat soluble fiber whenever your stomach is empty, and make soluble fiber foods the largest component of every meal and snack.
Minimize your fat intake to 25% of your diet, max. Focus on heart-healthy mono-unsaturated oils. Read labels and at restaurants, ask.
Never eat high fat foods, even in small portions, on an empty stomach or without soluble fiber. Better still, don't eat them at all.
Eliminate all triggers - red meat, dairy, fried foods, egg yolks, coffee, soda pop, and alcohol - from your diet.
Never, never, never eat insoluble fiber on an empty stomach, in large quantities at one sitting, or without soluble fiber. Cook, chop, or puree insoluble fiber foods to make them safer.
Eat small portions frequently, calmly, and leisurely.
If you're unsure about something, don't eat it. It's not worth the risk.
Food is fun and eating should be pleasurable. Take the time and make the effort to eat safely, and then enjoy yourself.
Remember that you have absolute and total control over your diet. No-one can force you to eat something you know you shouldn't.
Practice creative substitution, not deprivation. Use soy or rice replacements for dairy, two egg whites to replace a whole egg, try low-fat vegetarian versions of meat products or use skinless chicken breasts and seafood, replace some oil with fruit purees in breads or cakes, use veggie broth instead of oil in sauces, bake with cocoa powder (it's fat free) instead of solid chocolate. Use herbs, baking extracts (vanilla, peppermint, maple, etc.) and mild spices generously to heighten flavors.

BC123Jm
11-07-2011, 11:18 PM
just take a shit load of imodium everyday, like i do. problem solved.
if you want to be a bodybuilder, you gotta eat.

Spacey
11-08-2011, 12:06 AM
Personaly, I'd fix my IBS before trying to gain weight. A serious problem like that will be a great hindrance to weight gain and other health goals. Do you have an idea of what causes yours? Maybe high stress or poor diet or both. It might be a good idea to do a fast/cleanse then slowing add different foods back in to your diet. Have you seen a dietition about it?

If none of the above sounds good to you then my two recomendations would be to cut out all non-cultured dairy products (maybe try goats milk) and use pea protein instead of whey. A lot of people have more problems with dairy than just lactose intolerance. The pea protein doesn't have as much leucine as whey, so you might want to add some.

This is excellent advice. IBS sufferers don't all have the same symptoms or respond the same way to the same trigger foods. Some can't tolerate red meat, others grains, still others dairy. As this post suggests, a good first approach is to scale back your diet, and then gradually add potential trigger foods one-at-a-time to see how your body tolerates them.

Definitely also give the goat's milk a try. Personally, I didn't like the taste, so I just decided to give up dairy. It was hard at first, but honestly, I don't miss it anymore (well, maybe ice cream, but I still indulge every once in a while!), and I think my body looks better since I have cut it out. I do still use whey protein, and fortunately haven't had the problems I used to have with milk.

Wheat was a disaster for me, so for carbs, I eat primarily sweet potatoes and oats. I add fruit and rice when bulking. Buckwheat noodles (soba) are great, too, and don't cause any digestive problems (for me, at least). They used to sell buckwheat protein, but I haven't seen it in a long time. I didn't know about pea protein, though. That's sounds like another good option.

And, as stated above, if you can see a dietician (or gastroenterologist), he or she can most likely help.

IBS sucks, but it is definitely something you can work around. Good luck!

s2h
11-08-2011, 07:53 PM
try the paleo diet...seems to work well with peeps with IBS...

Spacey
11-08-2011, 08:36 PM
try the paleo diet...seems to work well with peeps with IBS...

That's surprising because most IBS sufferers have a hard time with fatty foods.

billyjr
11-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it. I have found my trigger foods, one of the big ones is whole eggs. I was wondering though, never tried it, but do you guys think eggs whites would cause the same effect?

Since I take meds, dairy doesn't seem to both me as much. I enjoy it a lot, and I try to have a bowl of cereal everyday for the protein in the milk. I eat very clean, if I have fast food twice every 4 months, that is a lot.

Do you guys reccomend any protein shakes or bars that are low in fiber, as the more fiber, the more trips to the bathroom for me. I am looking for an easy on the stomach protein. I used to use Optinum Whey, never really gave me any problems. Anyone know of any bars to snack on?

Spacey
11-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it. I have found my trigger foods, one of the big ones is whole eggs. I was wondering though, never tried it, but do you guys think eggs whites would cause the same effect?

Since I take meds, dairy doesn't seem to both me as much. I enjoy it a lot, and I try to have a bowl of cereal everyday for the protein in the milk. I eat very clean, if I have fast food twice every 4 months, that is a lot.

Do you guys reccomend any protein shakes or bars that are low in fiber, as the more fiber, the more trips to the bathroom for me. I am looking for an easy on the stomach protein. I used to use Optinum Whey, never really gave me any problems. Anyone know of any bars to snack on?

Egg whites might be ok, but the only way to be sure it to try it out.

I'm not sure cereal is considered "clean" eating, but you may want to check with the true diet experts here.

When you say protein shakes, do you mean meal replacement drinks or just protein powder? I use Isopure protein powder, which is pure protein (no fiber) without problems (I used other stuff before that upset my stomach). If the Optimum Whey is working for you, why switch?

SBB90
11-07-2012, 07:53 AM
just take a shit load of imodium everyday, like i do. problem solved.
if you want to be a bodybuilder, you gotta eat.

Yep.. Get borderline IBS from my dad, hit up the old imodium, learn not to have coffee first thing in the morning, things like red onion go straight through me, some lactose is a problem (bought a bag of mutant mass, fucking agarol).