PDA

View Full Version : What are the best bodyweight exercises?

BABOON
04-06-2009, 11:01 AM
I need some help compiling a list of decent exercises that require absolutely zero equipment and can be done in the home.

Does anyone have any good ones they can share?

Thanks in advance..

DaveV
04-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Pushups

Stavman
04-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Bench dips. Except the bench is a couch or something.

Pushups.

Can do pull ups if you buy one of those cheap ass pull up bars.

Handstand pushups. Just do a handstand against a wall an press.

Sit ups.

That's all I can think of.

red barraca
04-06-2009, 11:49 AM
dips,pull ups,situps,one arm push ups,two girl on your back doing donkey calves raises

BABOON
04-06-2009, 12:13 PM
RB, two girls counts as equipment.

I figured there were better, more intense bodyweight exercises than pushups and situps.. They are boring as shit. These aren't for me, they are for a girl who fucking hates trainng. I wanted to be able to show her some interesting exercises.

MRT
04-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Burpees

SUMO
04-06-2009, 12:20 PM
I keep seeing these infomercials for P90X over here. It does require a dumbbell, but it seems to have a lot of bodyweight only variations that she might find interesting. If anyone has tried it, maybe someone can share more here.

red barraca
04-06-2009, 12:22 PM
look up zumba,its latin dance aerobics.women in my gym are dropping weight like crazy.just ask her to look up zumba class in her city

red barraca
04-06-2009, 12:39 PM
look up zumba,its latin dance aerobics.women in my gym are dropping weight like crazy.just ask her to look up zumba class in her city

zumba burns 500-1000 in 1hour.if she bored of training tell her about this.girls tell me its fun

Ninja Loco
04-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Burpees
Bingo! Better known as sprawls.

Add:
Bodybuilders.
Done like burpees, but you splay your feet after you've sprawled, then bring them back together before you come back up.

Side Lizards.
Do a pushup, then open your feet and arms as wide as you can and move to the side. Any side. Repeat.

Snakes.
Push up position with the feet spread, then "snake" backwards (dont move the feet or hands) then dip forward and "snake" forward.

Body presses. Up against a wall, feet towards the ceiling, standing on hands. Now dip down, then press up.

V-ups.
Self explanatory.

Shadow boxing with body dips.
Self explanatory

Twist sprawls.
Sprawl, then bring your feet around to one side, under your hand, then back around the other way. Sprawl again. Repeat.

Side Squats.
Squat to one side - DEEEEEEP. Squat to the other side.

Just a small list of some of the shit I have my clients do.

anthony1992
04-06-2009, 12:51 PM
dips, pull ups and push ups

BABOON
04-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Ninja, that's exactly the kind of shit I'm talking about. Thanks a lot bro.

Ninja Loco
04-06-2009, 01:12 PM
NP. I'll look through some files instead of just memory if you need more.

ChunkyThunder
04-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Squat thrusts

calf raises on a step

Japanese pushups ( floor licker)

Clapping pushups

Bodyweight jump squats

Hardly Krishna
04-07-2009, 03:35 AM
lunges up stairs or step-ups on chairs (other things that rhyme)
push-up circuits/bench dips.

KEVDIESEL
04-07-2009, 08:50 AM
handstand push ups and pull ups. get good at em and get strong. the sprawls ninja mentioned are brutal also. i did a ton of them in bjj.

Youngguns
04-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Lower body-

Bodyweight calve raises, lunges, squats, get a cheap band and tie it to something on the ground and your foot for hamstring curls.

Upper body- Pullups with a chair at your feet so you can take some weight off, chin ups, curls with the band, triceps with the band, pushups, shoulders with the band.

Bands are cheap.

Chebster
04-09-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm in the army and sometimes gyms aren't available. I bought the Pavel Tsatsouline book for a vast amount of cash to help me out with my training. Anyway out of it I do rate the one legged squat and the one armed press up. The one leg squat is a massive burn and the tension you get off a one armed press up rips fat off you. Dips and Pull ups are a no brainer; you know they work and a little bit of tweaking position and cadence will make you look better than 95% of the world.

Strikerrjones
04-09-2009, 07:21 PM
One legged squats are ridiculously hard.

PTB
12-11-2009, 01:30 PM
I keep seeing these infomercials for P90X over here. It does require a dumbbell, but it seems to have a lot of bodyweight only variations that she might find interesting. If anyone has tried it, maybe someone can share more here.

I did it last year from Jan to Apr.

It definatley gets you in shape, but you will not build a lot of muscle with it - IF you already have good muscle already.

I got harder and leaner - I lost about 8 lbs, particularly in the midsection.

It's pretty tough, and for those who would say it's for "p*****s", I dare them to try it.

If you're trying to get in shape for sports like basketball, football or baseball, it can be a nice alternative.

And yes weights are used, and you set amount depending on your goals. To "build" muscle, pick a weight that will allow you to do 8 - 10 reps. Toning - 12 - 15. Although keep in mind you are doing a lot of exercises, and if you lift too heavy, too early, you won't have the energy to go thru round 2 of the moves. All weight exercises are repeated twice.

It's definately NOT a good option if you're on some Keto diet. You'll burn to many calories, and your body will probably want glucose rather than fat for an energy source.

There's also a Yoga component and that was what I hated most. The main Yoga section is 90 minutes. It's not overly spiritual, but they do those "ohms" at the end - they stress to work the nervous system, not call on spirits or something. But it's still weird.

There is also a stretching dvd, which I really needed, since I'm very in-flexible.

the ab routine is sadistic.

Overall, it definately makes you focus on your weaknesses, whether it be conditioning (heart rate, not body fat), strength, or flexibility.

I may do it again next year. It took me this long to get the weight I lost back. I'm a slow gainer.

hrd
12-11-2009, 01:55 PM
This...
YouTube- cock push ups

Gerb
12-11-2009, 02:23 PM
most people don't do bw exercises (maybe dips and pullups but many skip them too) so if you only had one exercise, I'd say Plank Holds are the best. Works a bunch of muscle most never train.

Gerb
12-11-2009, 02:24 PM
One legged squats are ridiculously hard.

yeah, they are for sure. take alot of core control too. if someone can rep them, they are pretty fit.