PDA

View Full Version : I finally got it taken care of

Koubs
04-06-2009, 05:59 PM
2 weeks ago, I made the trip out to New York to get the gynecomastia surgery done by Dr. Blau. I thought maybe I should share my experience with others that are considering the procedure.

The condition had bothered me since I was about 16 years old. It didn't matter whether I was in shredded contest condition or off-season, it was noticible... Certain clothes (like a tight white t-shirt) I wouldn't even consider wearing because you could even tell with the shirt on.

In my case, the condition was purely genetic: My dad has it, my older brother, and my younger brother I could tell developed it last summer (he had just turned 16 that year). So it was not a result of steroid use. When I was like 18 I mentioned it to my doctor and asked what it was, he said it was normal and should go away on its own.

Well, it did not. At 23 years old, finished college, I could finally afford to get it done... When I told a couple close friends I was getting it done, they didn't even know what I was talking about. Meaning, they didn't really notice it even. But to me, it was noticible and I'm extremely happy that it's finally been taken care of and I don't have to worry about it anymore!!

It's looking really good now, and he said the swelling will continue to go down over the next couple weeks... I'm starting to ease my way back to the gym, but I'm not doing chest movements at all yet...

If anyone has any further questions about my experience, feel free to ask me. And to Dr. Blau and his staff, Maryanne and Brenda: THANKS!!!

Strikerrjones
04-06-2009, 06:12 PM
How expensive was it?

Koubs
04-06-2009, 10:27 PM
The total cost was $6,200 for the procedure... I just used local anesthetic where they just numb the area and perform the procedure, so I was still awake during the surgery.. About 90% of patients do this... if you wanted to get put under, it would be slightly higher

G-Roy
04-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Did you have full blow gyno or just "puffy nipples?"

Koubs
04-07-2009, 07:48 PM
It was just puffy nipples... it wasn't really "hard" to the touch or appearance... You could feel the excess tissue if you pressed your fingers on the nipple

G-Roy
04-07-2009, 10:15 PM
It was just puffy nipples... it wasn't really "hard" to the touch or appearance... You could feel the excess tissue if you pressed your fingers on the nipple
Im in the same boat. Doc told me as a teen it would go away but Im 24 now and it never did. Its not as noticeable now because im much larger but IM self conscious of it while most people dont seem to notice it.

Koubs
04-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Yeah bro, I was basically in the same situation... I just decided I'd rather get it taken care of and not have to think about it any more... I developed a good build, but every time i took my shirt off I personally felt concious about it

BigStew
04-21-2009, 10:14 AM
I just got the surgery last week
Same reasons as u. Got it from Being fat at Puberty.
Question to you is, did your sweel up after the surgery. My left one swelled more than my right and how long until they have been going back down.

Koubs
04-22-2009, 11:50 AM
The swelling is normal... My left swelled up more than the right as well actually... I'm like exactly one month post-op now and the swelling is completely gone on the right side, looks fantastic... If I press on it, there's still some SLIGHT sensitivity tho, but only if I press hard on it

The left one tho still has some slight swelling, BUT i can tell it's been going down over time... Be patient, just takes some time... The incision also seems to be less and less noticible over time... It will take another couple weeks for that to be completely gone... Just in time for summer!!

tribal
04-23-2009, 12:54 AM
i was in the same boat as you guys..when i got it done i explained it to friends and family the day before and they all thought i was nuts, even girls that i slept with told me i had mental problems, cause they never saw a problem..i got it done on 3/17 w/dr. blau and as of now my nipples and areola combined are btwn the size of a penny and a dime!!! WHAT A FUCKIN DIFF!! I CAN FINALLY WEAR WHATEVER CLOTHES I WANT NOW, BY FAR THE BEST DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE!! (i was so ecstatic that i bought the good dr a 40 yr old aged bottle of scotch)

bean44
04-23-2009, 06:36 AM
The swelling is normal... My left swelled up more than the right as well actually... I'm like exactly one month post-op now and the swelling is completely gone on the right side, looks fantastic... If I press on it, there's still some SLIGHT sensitivity tho, but only if I press hard on it

The left one tho still has some slight swelling, BUT i can tell it's been going down over time... Be patient, just takes some time... The incision also seems to be less and less noticible over time... It will take another couple weeks for that to be completely gone... Just in time for summer!!
Is your profile pix before, or after the surgery. If it is before, I just don't see the gyno.

Koubs
04-27-2009, 12:51 AM
Is your profile pix before, or after the surgery. If it is before, I just don't see the gyno.

The profile pic is before the surgery... I guess it's hard to explain and again pretty embarrasing for me to talk about, but I'll share: I think with the 'puffy nipples' like I had, or 'softer gyno', if I "tweaked" the nipples and basically made them hard, you really couldn't tell... I was so self-concious about my chest, that I would always try to turn away from people and take off my shirt and do that real quick before turning around... Then, it wasn't so noticible, yes... Mine never had the "hard" appearence and I don't really know the difference... but it was indeed there: I saw the tissue that was removed....

Aaron Singerman
04-30-2009, 11:46 PM
I'm looking forward to my surgery... but I will admit, being awake during the surgery is freaking me out a little. My Doc says it hurts when they inject all the numbing meds.... 1 whole liter?!?

Koubs
05-01-2009, 01:44 AM
I'm looking forward to my surgery... but I will admit, being awake during the surgery is freaking me out a little. My Doc says it hurts when they inject all the numbing meds.... 1 whole liter?!?

haha, yeah bro, I'm not gonna lie: It fuckin HURTS when they inject all the numbing meds... I don't know why I wasn't told that I was gonna get about 30 shots in each chest to numb the area before surgery, lol... but it did hurt, yes...

After that tho, it's smooth sailing... I definitely did NOT look down, lol... You just feel some tugging and hear some snipping, but just don't focus on that... The only part that was tough was all the numbing meds!!

Aaron Singerman
05-01-2009, 11:50 PM
haha, yeah bro, I'm not gonna lie: It fuckin HURTS when they inject all the numbing meds... I don't know why I wasn't told that I was gonna get about 30 shots in each chest to numb the area before surgery, lol... but it did hurt, yes...

After that tho, it's smooth sailing... I definitely did NOT look down, lol... You just feel some tugging and hear some snipping, but just don't focus on that... The only part that was tough was all the numbing meds!!

Great... not looking forward to the numbing part!

IF I TOOK ROIDS I'D BE MR OLYMPIA
05-04-2009, 01:17 AM
Ever heard of Letro? 6,200. Wtf

Aaron Singerman
05-09-2009, 05:19 AM
Ok, surgery done.... When did you start to see what was REALLY done? (Swelling gone)

It's been... three days... the drugs kind of messes with my sense of time... and the current look (if you minus the black and blue patches) looks slightly improved, but leaves much to be desired. Also... my chest looks smaller!

Aaron Singerman
05-09-2009, 05:20 AM

That is QUITE A BIT more than I paid...

Dr. Bidros.... Houston, Tx....

Koubs
05-09-2009, 08:58 PM

I wanted a permanent fix and made the decision to get the surgery done... I couldn't be happier with my decision and the price was acceptable for me... Dr. Blau is the most experienced doctor that has performed this type of surgery, so I went with the best to put my mind at ease... Good decision!!

Koubs
05-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Ok, surgery done.... When did you start to see what was REALLY done? (Swelling gone)

It's been... three days... the drugs kind of messes with my sense of time... and the current look (if you minus the black and blue patches) looks slightly improved, but leaves much to be desired. Also... my chest looks smaller!

It took a little over a month for all swelling to be completely gone, I'd say 6 weeks for the finished product... It may be frustrating at first because the 'swelling' is right in the area where you got the tissue removed... Mine did look slightly improved right away and has only gotten better over time as the swelling as disapeared... But it was sensitive to the touch if you pressed hard for several weeks post-op

Mine never had any black and blue marks tho... There was the mark where the incision was made, but that has faded and you can't notice it at this point... My chest didn't feel 'smaller' either, it looked much tighter and shaped better even 3-4 days post-op even with a little swelling

Aaron Singerman
05-12-2009, 01:46 AM
UPDATE: Bruising almost gone... The generalized swelling seems to be lessening daily, but I have noticed hard lumps forming under the nipple... Like only just now I'm getting REAL gyno! lol... I think the gland (what's left of it) is swollen. I have my next check up on Thursday and I'll find out for sure what's up.

tribal
05-13-2009, 05:02 PM
UPDATE: Bruising almost gone... The generalized swelling seems to be lessening daily, but I have noticed hard lumps forming under the nipple... Like only just now I'm getting REAL gyno! lol... I think the gland (what's left of it) is swollen. I have my next check up on Thursday and I'll find out for sure what's up.
i still have this, and i got the surgery on 3/17...prob scar tissue, that you can massage away

Aaron Singerman
05-14-2009, 03:28 AM
i still have this, and i got the surgery on 3/17...prob scar tissue, that you can massage away

I sure hope you're mistaken on this one... Otherwise I replace fatty tissue for hard lumps of scar tissue... I see the doc in less than 24 hours... I'll certainly be updating you all on this disturbing issue! :(

tribal
05-14-2009, 09:19 PM
I sure hope you're mistaken on this one... Otherwise I replace fatty tissue for hard lumps of scar tissue... I see the doc in less than 24 hours... I'll certainly be updating you all on this disturbing issue! :(
lol no its not to the same extent as when i first got the surgery, it gets progressively less as time goes on

Aaron Singerman
05-18-2009, 10:33 PM
still have the hard lumps... I've been reading up on this and it seems to be common. Some say it takes up to 6 months for the swelling (LUMPS) to disappear. It has to do with the healing process of skin.

drsalomon
06-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Koubs i didnt know you got a gyno surgery done.
did you like Dr Blau. i am thinking of getting it done too.

Tank
06-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Koubs – I have been thinking about flying out to see Dr. Blau myself......i have the same problem you had, my chest looks really good when my nipples are hard, but when they are soft they look kinda of puffy.....it's not really bad, but it really makes me self-conscious.......i do the exact same thing that you did when you take your shirt off, before I go swimming or something like that I always try to pinch my nipple when no one is looking to make them hard........lol........i really want to get this taken care of so I don't have to worry about it anymore. I'm trying to get everything figured out, so I can make a trip out to see Dr. Blau at the end of the summer......i got a question for you bro........since I will be flying out to see him, how many times will I have to fly to NY? Do you have to fly out to meet with him before the surgery and how many follow ups do you have?

Thanks!

Koubs
06-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Sal: Yup, it sucked being out of the gym, that was the longest layoff I've ever taken really.... but I'm real happy I got it done, I was always so self-concious about it...

Tank: Glad to see you here on RX! Here's how I did it and how pretty much all of his out of state patients do it:

-You want to first call and speak to Maryanne or Brenda: 914.428.4700 ... Explain to them that you will be sending pictures and would like to set up a PHONE CONSULTATION with Dr. Blau...

-Send pictures to [email protected] ([email protected]) , and include name, age, and any other pertinant information (Maryanne or Brenda may tell you what you need to include or you can ask)

-Dr. Blau will then look at your pictures (Take them from the front, the side, the top, every angle you can) and determine whether or not you're a good candidate, which most likely you are if your situation is similar to mine... You will talk to him while he's looking at pictures during the phone consultation...

-Then you'll set up the appt. I set mine up on a Friday morning and got out there on Thursday to briefly meet with Dr. Blau in person... I flew back to chicago on Wednesday and saw him again that day when I left... There's a hotel 2 blocks from the office that they will refer you to...

Let me know if you have any other questions... I understand how it is man, it puts your mind at ease once you get it taken care of

**As far as additional follow-ups: They shouldn't be necessary... I got the couple stiches taken out on the Wednesday I left new york and from there the incision just fades.... If you have any questions afterwards, you can call and they are very helpful

Tank
06-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Koubs – Thanks for the info bro I really appreciate it!

SuperSnake
09-16-2009, 11:08 AM
You guys are all getting ripped off. $6200 is outrageous.

I had my gyno done a month ago by my wife's dr. and I paid $1500 and I'm extremely happy with the results.

The whole process takes less than an hour.

Seems ironic that our dr. makes my wife's tits bigger and makes mine smaller. LOL!

Mark
02-15-2010, 09:27 AM
How long untill you guys who've had it done could train chest, or any upper body/arm training?

Did you continue to run your hrt as normal? I assume yes but was there anything you did with regards to gear/ancillaries in preperation to getting the surgery?

jnickels
04-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Goin for mine April 22. I have to say that 6200 seems way over the top too. I'm having mine done in Milwaukee WI for 1700 by a board cert plastic surgeon. I'm not having the lypo part done, just the gland excision so maybe that makes a difference but still, $6200?! GODDAMM!!! I'm going to miss the gym but i there's always the bike that needs pedaling too I suppose. Also i wasn't told about all the pain and shit but based on my past surgery record I think I'll be able to take it. Besides, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger right??

Mark: I was told to come clean off everything a few weeks prior to the surgery, this stuff causes it so it would seem smart to be off it prior.

doubleogordo
04-06-2010, 11:33 PM
pics?

joe d
04-10-2010, 07:01 PM
I wanted a permanent fix and made the decision to get the surgery done... I couldn't be happier with my decision and the price was acceptable for me... Dr. Blau is the most experienced doctor that has performed this type of surgery, so I went with the best to put my mind at ease... Good decision!!

that was a verry good decision. there are plenty of screwed up unsatisfied guys out there from shitty surgeries.

GeneticFr3ak
10-07-2010, 07:33 AM
im in the same boat, i was SUPER fat in my teen years and i have soft tissue build up. its not a bad case, but its enough to make me sketched out. Ive never taken any hormone changing stuff.. How long does recovery take? and whats the scarring like?

im sure medical will pay for this if i go in and complain of pain and such..

claymore1
10-08-2010, 01:50 AM
You guys are all getting ripped off. $6200 is outrageous.

I had my gyno done a month ago by my wife's dr. and I paid $1500 and I'm extremely happy with the results.

The whole process takes less than an hour.

Seems ironic that our dr. makes my wife's tits bigger and makes mine smaller. LOL!

"You guys are all getting ripped off. $6200 is outrageous." Agreed

Bona fide
10-10-2010, 10:47 AM
^Bump...how are things going since the surgery Koubs?

AND Aaron...how did your healing process turn out since its been a little while now?..Dr. Bidros is pretty close to my hometown. Would you recommend him..or is Blau significantly better?

BF