PDA

View Full Version : Have you had success with colds mega dosing Vitamin C?

Youngguns
04-08-2009, 12:42 AM
I felt sick 2 days ago in the after noon- stuffy nose/ sneezing and overall achy feeling. I took 5 grams of buffered vitamin C (capsuls) the first night, and about 10 grams the second day. The second day I was as sick as the first. Today I woke up with 90+ percent of the cold gone! I've never had a cold in my life that's only lasted 36 or so hours. The shortest I can remember is circa one week. Have you had any luck with this protocol?

Note: I also took 15 drops of food grade peroxide in a glass of water yesterday, so that could have had an effect also, next cold I'll try 10grams of vitamin C only.

Ps. The day is almost over and I'm 95% of my normal self.

buster12
04-08-2009, 12:53 AM
nice. I never really get sick either. I heard vitamin C is great for a cold though... I'll keep this method in mind next time it happens...

Youngguns
04-08-2009, 12:58 AM
It would be interesting for everyone to give it a go when they feel something coming on and report back to this thread.

buster12
04-08-2009, 01:04 AM
It would be interesting for everyone to give it a go when they feel something coming on and report back to this thread.
I definatly will. Last cold I had nagged the shit out of me. Being sicks the worst? If I try and workout sick I get no pumps, and i'm flat as a pankake. Did you try and workout?

Youngguns
04-08-2009, 01:24 AM
Hell ya. There are few things I'd give a workout up for. And if I have to, I just do it the next day.

buster12
04-08-2009, 01:33 AM
Hell ya. There are few things I'd give a workout up for. And if I have to, I just do it the next day.
same. I cant stand missing a workout/ or a meal. It ruins my whole day. Nice to hear that someone else deals with the same thing. lol

mrq4400
04-08-2009, 02:58 AM
i have actually tried few grams of C vitamin 2-3 times per day when i started to feel bit ill & achy, and i did felt better the next day! was it the C vitamin or not, who knows...

NPCKnight
04-08-2009, 06:04 AM
for some reason...i have seen many many knowledgeable people list specifically 3g/day supplementing vitamin c. there are many stories of guys who dosed/megadosed vitamin c too high and ended up with kidney stones when i researched it.

fits
04-08-2009, 07:00 AM
I swear buy taking 3g per day when I feel a cold comming ,and it works! i also take 400iu to 800 vit E I tell every one to do the same, people at work think im just beig stupid! so they take lemsip and moan about being sick for 2 weeks or so when i don't really suffer with them!

mts
04-08-2009, 09:59 AM
I felt sick 2 days ago in the after noon- stuffy nose/ sneezing and overall achy feeling. I took 5 grams of buffered vitamin C (capsuls) the first night, and about 10 grams the second day. .

I bet your piss was glowing in the dark after taking that much vitamin C.
I used to take 4 grams a day and I noticed my skin looking better but not helping with the colds. I usually get pretty bad colds lasting a week or two.

GirlyMuscle
04-08-2009, 10:08 AM
I rarely get sick and I don't take vitamin C so I'm not much help. My mom swears by it though.

I just wanted to say I like your thread title....."mega doinging."

Frosty
04-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Youngguns, I haven't had a cold in so many years so I don't have much experimental experience with it. I like mineral ascorbates and just dissolve it in drinking water. For me I can tolerate 30g a day with this method. I would use it if I were pretty sick. In fact I'd dissolve lots of glutamine and buffered ascorbates in my drinking water....maybe add some flavoring if it tasted really nasty being sick and all. Glutamine is fuel for the immune system, and one good thing it does.

redline777
04-08-2009, 11:07 AM
I felt sick 2 days ago in the after noon- stuffy nose/ sneezing and overall achy feeling. I took 5 grams of buffered vitamin C (capsuls) the first night, and about 10 grams the second day. The second day I was as sick as the first. Today I woke up with 90+ percent of the cold gone! I've never had a cold in my life that's only lasted 36 or so hours. The shortest I can remember is circa one week. Have you had any luck with this protocol?

Note: I also took 15 drops of food grade peroxide in a glass of water yesterday, so that could have had an effect also, next cold I'll try 10grams of vitamin C only.

Ps. The day is almost over and I'm 95% of my normal self.

hell NO...ur skin turns red, dont do it..drink plenty of tea and water, and rest

Frosty
04-08-2009, 11:12 AM
By the way, for fighting stomach flu or something similar, I've heard of going through an entire bottle of probiotics in a day to fight it off quickly. Just taking enough every hour so that you go through the bottle.

Youngguns
04-08-2009, 11:28 AM
I bet your piss was glowing in the dark after taking that much vitamin C.
I used to take 4 grams a day and I noticed my skin looking better but not helping with the colds. I usually get pretty bad colds lasting a week or two.
Actually it didn't change colour, usually B vitamins are associated with yellow urine.

I rarely get sick and I don't take vitamin C so I'm not much help. My mom swears by it though.

I just wanted to say I like your thread title....."mega doinging."
I asked a mod to change it yesterday... typo.

hell NO...ur skin turns red, dont do it..drink plenty of tea and water, and restMy skin stayed the same colour... and if it did turn red, I'd probably do that often for fun.

By the way, for fighting stomach flu or something similar, I've heard of going through an entire bottle of probiotics in a day to fight it off quickly. Just taking enough every hour so that you go through the bottle.My mothers naturopath does the same and swears by it (also taking Vit C along with it for all sicknesses)

Mr X
04-08-2009, 11:44 AM
What about taking a few extra Multi Vs when you feel a cold coming on. and I also agree with the Probiotics remedy.

Youngguns
04-08-2009, 12:10 PM
It will help, but Vitamin C is the "anti-sickness" vitamin.

Mr X
04-08-2009, 12:11 PM
It will help, but Vitamin C is the "anti-sickness" vitamin.

I'm gonna try this next time I feel a cold coming.

Mike the Ripper
04-08-2009, 12:44 PM
I take about 4g per day Vitamin C during "cold season" as well as other anti-oxidants like Green Tea Extract and of course my multi. I take a multi in the morning and at night. Haven't been sick in quite awhile.

BIG AL WILLIAMS
04-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Last month I got blasted with a 103 fever and I mega dosed vitamin c up to 8 grams along with ZMA at night.I was back to normal training and doing cardio in 2 days.

Youngguns
04-08-2009, 05:49 PM
I take about 4g per day Vitamin C during "cold season" as well as other anti-oxidants like Green Tea Extract and of course my multi. I take a multi in the morning and at night. Haven't been sick in quite awhile.
Where I live, "cold season" is 6 months.

Last month I got blasted with a 103 fever and I mega dosed vitamin c up to 8 grams along with ZMA at night.I was back to normal training and doing cardio in 2 days.
Awesome, I'm glad to hear it.

Wheels
04-08-2009, 06:37 PM
I rarely get sick as well. If I feel something coming on, I load with Vitamin C and Glutamine, in addition to multi.

Mike the Ripper
04-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Where I live, "cold season" is 6 months.

LOL, well that sucks. We have about an 8 week window here. Move somewhere warm.

Youngguns
04-09-2009, 07:40 PM
LOL, well that sucks. We have about an 8 week window here. Move somewhere warm.
You have no idea how much I want to.

MichaelWayne
04-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Same boat of hardly ever getting sick, but when I do I will go through a gallon of high pulp OJ in a day. Seems to help.

Youngguns
04-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Same boat of hardly ever getting sick, but when I do I will go through a gallon of high pulp OJ in a day. Seems to help.
Dang, too much sugar for me.

MichaelWayne
04-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Dang, too much sugar for me.

True. But when I'm sick, I don't care. Figure its not something I do all the time, maybe once or twice a year so what the hell.

"Rodz"
04-11-2009, 01:01 AM
love the vit C, ill take 1500 mg 3 x day as soon ass i feel the start of something, usually it goes away by the next day

Youngguns
04-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Amazing, I'm beginning to think we've found the cure to the common cold!

Suzy Brown
04-11-2009, 11:54 AM
C is one of those vitamins you pee out fast "water soluble" so an even more effective method would be small doses every 2 hours.

Zetawill
04-11-2009, 12:52 PM
I do a vitamin C flush whenever I get sick. Use a buffered Vitamin C packets (like Emergen-C).
Take one packet every 30 minutes until you have a bowel movement, then one packet every 2-4 hours. I've never been sick for more than 2 days when I follow this regimen.

Mr X
04-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Are there any side effects to taking a big amount of Vitamin C.

Suzy Brown
04-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Gives you the runnies a little if you overdo it...

"Rodz"
04-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Amazing, I'm beginning to think we've found the cure to the common cold!

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH the FDA will make it a drug!!