PDA

View Full Version : May's 2013 'work in progress' training journal

mcstrick
12-29-2011, 01:16 AM
I have been on an off season diet/workout since I last competed at the 2011 NPC West Coast Classic. A couple of weeks ago I met with my coach, Tad (The Diet Coach) and made some decisions for my 2012 contest schedule. My first competition will be the California State Championships at the end of May 2012...so this means I will start dieting in February 2012. I am so excited and can't wait to get in contest prep mode. For me, my motivation gets charged up when I have a specific goal established with a timeline. I like to plan ahead..way ahead..so I will be prepared...but when it comes down to it, I actually work better under pressure. Some competitors I know dread the dieting and that last week before contest..but I actually love it; especially the last week when I see changes in my physique...and my abs:yep: I have to admit that I do have my moments when I want to munch on everything in sight, but I think about the effect it will have on me when I step on the stage and all the hard work/sacrifices I have made and this is what enables me to stay on track. My ultimate goal for 2012 is to compete at the National level. I will be documenting my progress here. I look forward to meeting new friends on this site that share my passion for fitness and competing.

WPDTiffany
12-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Good luck!!! I'll be following your thread!!!

The Prodigy
12-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Welcome to RX Girl lady! We are all here to help and support you in anyway we can! I can't wait to follow your journey and watch your progress! The national stage is ready for you!:hmn:

KrisLynn
12-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Woo wee... getting the plans laid out is so damn thrilling!! Good Luck Girly on our prep, LOVE EVERY SEC OF IT and ROCK that stage!!

mcstrick
12-29-2011, 11:07 PM
Hi there, thanks!
Love your profile pic:) I haven't done any photo shoots yet, but as soon as I start dieting I plan on taking some pics. Have a great evening!

mcstrick
12-29-2011, 11:18 PM
Welcome to RX Girl lady! We are all here to help and support you in anyway we can! I can't wait to follow your journey and watch your progress! The national stage is ready for you!:hmn:Thank you. I been browsing around...this site is awesome! :)

mcstrick
12-29-2011, 11:20 PM
Welcome to RX Girl lady! We are all here to help and support you in anyway we can! I can't wait to follow your journey and watch your progress! The national stage is ready for you!:hmn:

Woo wee... getting the plans laid out is so damn thrilling!! Good Luck Girly on our prep, LOVE EVERY SEC OF IT and ROCK that stage!!
Thank you..I can't wait to get back on stage:)

mcstrick
12-30-2011, 12:20 AM
Got up super early to make it to my new favorite place to work out (Gonzales Sports Academy GSA). With the exception of the boot camp gym rats, I had the weight area all to myself..yeah!! I worked delts and abs..had to modify my workout schedule this week because of a very mild injury last week..I was pushin 380 on the prowler sled and my wrists were not feeling too good the next few days...I should have worn my gloves with better wrist support. I'll post more details on my workouts in the future...I gotta get some sleep tonight so I can get up early to make sure I get my first meal in and rest before puttin in some more work at the gym:p

mcstrick
01-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Worked legs yesterday until I almost felt like throwing up..I did quads/hams/calves..I normally work quads/calves & hams on separate days but I had to modify my schedule..I'll get back on track next week.

leg ext 4X15 with drop/burnout set to get warmed up
superset leg press/dumbbell sumo squats 15/15/15/20/25
hack squat 15/15/15/20/25
walking side lunges with barbell 4X20
leg curl 4X15
cable kickback 5X20
calf machine (toes straight/in/out) 3X20 each

Used my 'best friend' foam roller before and afterwards. I used to hate this thing, but now I practically use it daily..it hurts, but a good hurt.I guess I like the pain:). I used this on my lats last week and I had to really 'breathe' through it..but after a while it just seems to get numb. I'm trying to figure out how to use it on shoulders..or if this is even recommended, but this is where I usually get knots and tighten up.

Gonna hit back/abs next workout...

The Prodigy
01-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Do you feel a difference using the foam roller? For me it hurts, feels great that day but then the next day I am tight again!

Love your leg workout!!!! Keep pushing lady!

Sheanni
01-01-2012, 09:09 PM
I have been on an off season diet/workout since I last competed at the 2011 NPC West Coast Classic. A couple of weeks ago I met with my coach, Tad (The Diet Coach) and made some decisions for my 2012 contest schedule. My first competition will be the California State Championships at the end of May 2012...so this means I will start dieting in February 2012. I am so excited and can't wait to get in contest prep mode. For me, my motivation gets charged up when I have a specific goal established with a timeline. I like to plan ahead..way ahead..so I will be prepared...but when it comes down to it, I actually work better under pressure. Some competitors I know dread the dieting and that last week before contest..but I actually love it; especially the last week when I see changes in my physique...and my abs:yep: I have to admit that I do have my moments when I want to munch on everything in sight, but I think about the effect it will have on me when I step on the stage and all the hard work/sacrifices I have made and this is what enables me to stay on track. My ultimate goal for 2012 is to compete at the National level. I will be documenting my progress here. I look forward to meeting new friends on this site that share my passion for fitness and competing.

Good luck for 2012, you look amazing, you will definantly be competing on the National level this year. I will be following your journey to the National stage.

Sunnyday
01-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Solid leg WO there! Tagging along. :D

mcstrick
01-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Do you feel a difference using the foam roller? For me it hurts, feels great that day but then the next day I am tight again!

Love your leg workout!!!! Keep pushing lady!

On the foam roller, I do feel a difference..I use it daily. I used to get really tight to the point that a really deep tissue massage was the only way to get rid of the knots. My physical therapist and massage therapist both highly recommended it for me and it really helps.

katt981
01-02-2012, 05:09 PM
subscribed! I like reading about all the competitors pre-comp training, so exciting! I've never used a foam roller, but I see a lot of people using them at the gym... maybe I should look into that. But, then again, I've never had a massage either..... lol

mcstrick
01-02-2012, 07:51 PM
subscribed! I like reading about all the competitors pre-comp training, so exciting! I've never used a foam roller, but I see a lot of people using them at the gym... maybe I should look into that. But, then again, I've never had a massage either..... lol
hey there, great to meet ya. treat yourself this new year with a massage..its so relaxing and a great way to get in some 'me' time:yep:. I learned how to use my foam roller from my physical therapist and I also browsed through some videos on youtube. At first it does hurt, but believe me, you will feel great afterwards. good luck and keep in touch:flowers:

mcstrick
01-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Solid leg WO there! Tagging along. :D

Hey lady, I got my legs pretty good...still sore. I did back today;I'm trying to get my back to look like yours:flowers:

mcstrick
01-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Back and abs early this morning..seems like I'm coming down with a cough/cold..but that didn't stop me. Each time I go to the gym is another opportunity for me to work on getting that v taper...can't stop now..
Lat pull down to rear 12/12/14/14/20
tbar row 12/12/14/14/14
superset wide grip cable row/db pullover 12/12/14/14/14
bent over bb row 15/15/15/15
one arm db row 15/15/15/15
lat pull down standing straight arm 12/12/12/12
pullups to failure wide/close grip...couldn't do too many of these at this point...but I did my best...

used stability ball to do various ab/oblique exercises...5X50
4X50 bicycle crunches
ab machine 6X25

now I'm off to Real Ryder Spin class at GSA to get my cardio on...

Sunnyday
01-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Hey lady, I got my legs pretty good...still sore. I did back today;I'm trying to get my back to look like yours:flowers:

Awww...thanks, girl! I killed legs today, so much so I had to have my 3 kids help me back to the car, LOL! Even saw my chiropractor this afternoon so he could "undo" some of the damage! Now if I could only add that level of "wow" factor to my legs that everybody seems to see in my back (I still don't see it)...that's my goal for 2012 - legs with "wow" factor. :yep:

Solid back day...keep working hard!! ;)

mcstrick
01-06-2012, 01:01 AM
Been sick the past couple of days..thought I could sweat' this cold out of my system, but its not working..may have to go to the dr.'s office if not better by tomorrow...I should have never got that damn flu shot...well hope everyone is doing well...:hugme:

Sunnyday
01-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Hang in there, girl! Hope you feel better soon! :byeg:

The Prodigy
01-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Been sick the past couple of days..thought I could sweat' this cold out of my system, but its not working..may have to go to the dr.'s office if not better by tomorrow...I should have never got that damn flu shot...well hope everyone is doing well...:hugme:

Funny you should say this! Everytime I got the flu shot I got THE WORST case of the flu! I get it free from work, so I always took it as a preventive! Since I stopped taking it I have not had the flu ever! Its been 4 years!

I take JuicePlus and it REALLY helps me to not get sick working with lil kids! I only get BIG things like ulcers! LOL!

Sunnyday
01-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Funny you should say this! Everytime I got the flu shot I got THE WORST case of the flu! I get it free from work, so I always took it as a preventive! Since I stopped taking it I have not had the flu ever! Its been 4 years!

I take JuicePlus and it REALLY helps me to not get sick working with lil kids! I only get BIG things like ulcers! LOL!

Hey!! Me too!! :yep: Stuff is DA BOMB!!

mcstrick
01-08-2012, 11:23 PM

I heard of JuicePlus..but because I already take lots of supplements I haven't looked in to it further..my friend sells this..I'll check it out. I'm still not at 100%, it was leg day today and I just couldn't get through it..started feeling queezy..can't help but feel totally pissed when I can't work out..but I gotta listen to my body, so I headed home and have been drinking lots of fluids..

mcstrick
01-18-2012, 01:57 PM
Been MIA for a few days dealing with a family crisis.. Finally got over my cough and cold, but been so stressed out. I've always been a fighter and I don't stay down long...things are looking better and I am having a positive attitude. I miss you guys and reading your journals..especially the kick ass workouts you ladies do...keeps me motivated!

Sunnyday
01-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Glad you're on the mend from the cold. Hope the family crisis ends soon. Those can be soooo draining! Hugs! :hugme:

dbmneto
01-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Good Luck!

mcstrick
02-17-2012, 12:59 AM
Been back on track for a couple of weeks, just couldn't find the time to sign on. Getting home late from work and working weekends, but still finding time to get my workouts in...and of course sticking to my meal plan. Picked out fabric and color for my next new figure suit I start dieting for contest prep in March and probably won't actually get fitted for my suit until Apr/May timeframe. I'm glad that I have been able to maintain while off season so that when March rolls around, I can start shedding the BF% ...I need some more challenging ab workouts....I been working abs but not getting as sore as I used to; I been trying to get the hang of doing 'windshield wipers'...I've seen people do this and it looks so easy. OH, I learned how to do a 'Jefferson squat'...but this still feels awkard and can't keep the bar straight and leveled. I'll have to keep pracitcing and challenging myself. I love learning new exercises and techniques.

Sunnyday
02-17-2012, 02:47 PM
I got to that point with my abs and that's when I started doing supersets and giant sets of, say, 4 exercises - 2 upper, 2 lower, for example, and no rest between sets...just make it a giant circuit. :)

mcstrick
02-22-2012, 12:12 AM
got chest and abs last night...sore...and lovin it! decline pushups 6sx15, incline db press 5sx15, flat bench press 5sx15, chest press machine 5sx15, cable (upper/mid/lower) 5sx15 each, pushup w/db row to failure...couldn't do too many of these at this point. ab circuit 6sx25 each no rest - flat bench reverse, med ball core circle each side, bench v ups with 15 lb weight...then 5sx20 cable each side..
Bi's and hammies/calves next...

Sunnyday
02-22-2012, 09:23 PM
Nice training! :D

katt981
02-23-2012, 11:35 AM
I saw a utube for the windshield wipers.. I really want to try them. Are they really awkward at first?? I'm thinking maybe my shoulders would get pretty tired from holding up the BB

mcstrick
01-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Hey there RX Girls! Happy New Year! 2012 was a tough year for me and wasn't able to keep up my training journal. I dealt with several family crisis issues and was overwhelmed. I initially made the decision not to compete , but then realized that I needed to train and compete in order for me to stay healthy and have the ability to deal with all the stress in my life. It was tough, but my family, health and well being are very important to me and I made it through. My family, coach and friends were supportive and this really made a difference. I competed in the WCC and took home 1st and two 2nd place trophies, then placed 15th in my first NPC Nationalsl competition in Atlanta last November. I definitely want to work towards moving up in the ranks at the National level. During my training for Nationals I was working a tremendous amount of hours and my conditioning wasn't the best. I am determined to make 2013 the best ever, already making changes to meet my goals. Looking forward to sharing my experiences and getting motivated networking with other RX Girls:)

The Prodigy
01-01-2013, 04:43 PM
What should we change your journal title to?

IslandGirl
01-02-2013, 04:34 AM
Happy New Year!!!

Welcome back to your journal!

I was at Nationals! Wish I knew you then, we could've met up!

Moving up in ranks is doable! If you truly believe, it can happen! Believe to Achieve!

mcstrick
01-03-2013, 01:36 AM
What should we change your journal title to?

MAY'S 2013 'WORK IN PROGRESS' TRAINING JOURNAL

I strive to improve my physique and conditioning with each and every show. I've come a long way since I first started training for figure. This is the lifestyle that I choose, from the diet of eating clean every 2 - 3 hours to getting up early to get my workout in and get my day started.

mcstrick
01-03-2013, 01:42 AM
Happy New Year!!!

Welcome back to your journal!

I was at Nationals! Wish I knew you then, we could've met up!

Moving up in ranks is doable! If you truly believe, it can happen! Believe to Achieve!

Wishing you a very Happy New Year too:) I went to Nationals and didn't know anyone but my coach and teammates; it would have been great to have met you. I'm planning on Team U or Masters Nationals. Lets stay in touch and hopefully we can meet up at a show. Nationals Head judge feedback indicated that I need a bit more 'upper body' muscle. I been changing up my routines to build more muscle and try to stay injury free. Working with an awesome strength coach. Very determined to 'grow':)

IslandGirl
01-03-2013, 02:22 AM
Wishing you a very Happy New Year too:) I went to Nationals and didn't know anyone but my coach and teammates; it would have been great to have met you. I'm planning on Team U or Masters Nationals. Lets stay in touch and hopefully we can meet up at a show. Nationals Head judge feedback indicated that I need a bit more 'upper body' muscle. I been changing up my routines to build more muscle and try to stay injury free. Working with an awesome strength coach. Very determined to 'grow':)

I am planning on being at Masters Nationals so for sure we will keep in touch and as we get closer we can makes plans to meet up! That would definitely be cool!

When you are "determined" anything is possible! Stay focus and driven! It'll happen!

mcstrick
01-03-2013, 11:37 PM
Feeling a bit sore from yesterday's back workout:
dead lifts
3-4 warm up sets,4X10 working set
4x20 weighted back raise
3x10 pullups to failure, then static hold and slowly release
4x15 db rows continuus sets
4x20 bat flyes with static contraction

working towards gaining strength in order to handle more weight. need to strengthen my forearms, grip.

The Prodigy
01-14-2013, 08:18 AM
MAY'S 2013 'WORK IN PROGRESS' TRAINING JOURNAL

I strive to improve my physique and conditioning with each and every show. I've come a long way since I first started training for figure. This is the lifestyle that I choose, from the diet of eating clean every 2 - 3 hours to getting up early to get my workout in and get my day started.

Journal titled changed! Keep plugging away girlie!

mcstrick
01-24-2013, 01:26 AM
Changed up my split during the last 2 weeks based on my new strength coach's program. I'm hoping to be able to train with him more than once a week. It makes such a difference working with a coach versus by myself. I am able to lift heavy with proper form on my deads and have been gaining strength with pullups with varying grips. I need help with my squat form..been having pain in my left knee. I can do sumo squats with no problems but when lately when I do deep squats and heavy leg press, I have to really watch my form and wrap my knees. Today's workout was focusing on progressively increasing strength and adding weight. warmed up with back raises and light set of deads. Started increasing weights and ended up doing 5 working sets at 210lbs. My form was definitely better this week because I didn't have lower back pain. I followed this with raised stiff legged dead lifts so I was able to get more of a ham string stretch. Ham/glute raises were next and I focused on pulling up/squeezing glutes, felt the stretch on my hammies/calves also, 3 sets of 20. 3 sets of 10 wide grip pullups with a static hold on the last rep then slowly lowering. Made sure each rep was from a dead hang so I really felt this on my lats, squeezed rear delts at the top making sure to bring my chest to the bar. My favorite bat flyes were next 3 sets of 10-15 with increased weights this week..focused on my posture squeezing to ensure I get that stretch and also did a static hold on the last rep slowing lowering it back to the start. Followed this with several back to back sets of db rows with strict form..to failure. I am not afraid of the pain; actually look forward to it. I use visualization and really focus on the muscle that I am working. I am determined to show improvement with my next show. I have a couple months before I start contest diet, so every work out is so important for me to put in 110% work NOW!:)

sce0027
01-24-2013, 03:55 PM
Hey there! I am SO looking forward to following along when you start prepping for your show! I declare it seems like the months fly by when you have something you're working towards. Have an awesome day!

IslandGirl
01-27-2013, 01:27 AM
so every work out is so important for me to put in 110% work NOW!:)

Amen! Don't let one day go to waste. Make every single day count and be productive. You got it in YOU!

mcstrick
02-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Hey there! I am SO looking forward to following along when you start prepping for your show! I declare it seems like the months fly by when you have something you're working towards. Have an awesome day!

I'll start contest prep in March..can't wait to see my abs again:) Great to meet ya!

mcstrick
02-03-2013, 07:14 PM
Amen! Don't let one day go to waste. Make every single day count and be productive. You got it in YOU!

thanks:) I've been making great progress. I deided to do a local show in early June before Masters because of my schedule. I see that Liquidsunrayz is the official tanning company. I'm going to try them for the first time. Hope my tan comes out dark. I always like to start working on my base tan though and I tan very easily.

mcstrick
02-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Been studying for a test all week. got in all my training, but starting to have some lower back pain. gotta get this checked out this week at the chiro's office. I do wear a belt when I train heavy. Most people I know agree with wearing a belt while I have ran into others that are against it. I think it helps me stabilize. I also wear those 'barefoot' shoes by adidas. I may get the Vibrams next time because they are more sturdy on the bottom, but I love my adidas. I just can't go back to regular shoes when I train. I used to have a sharp pain in my foot when doing the leg press but with these shoes, no more pain..yeah!!

mcstrick
02-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Had to switch up my workout split to allow for enough recovery time and avoid over training:
sun - quad/calves, mon - bi, tues - tri, wed back/ham/glute, thurs - chest, fri - rest, sat - shoulders. I do cardio 3x/wk and abs 2x/wk. I start contest diet in march so I will start doing cardio daily with intensity/time increasing each week and will end up doing cardio every day. I used to combine muscle groups but am finding that my body is responding better to this type of split. My coach increased my calorie intake a couple weeks ago and I am actually more hungry now that I have more food. I been keeping my diet very clean except for and my weekly cheat meal...gotta enjoy these now while I can. I been maintaining 12-14% bf while off season, my jeans are gettin a little tight on the legs, but stay loose on the waist, although this is where I hold all my bf on my mid section. Posted a video of me deadlifting on fb, my form has improved, but I had my coach's belt on and it kept riding up in the back which was a little distracting, but I got it done.

mcstrick
04-17-2013, 12:24 AM
Hey ya'll, so I've been mia for a few weeks, but I've been staying on track and have entered: CONTEST PREP MODE!! My diet is consistent during the week and I REFEED on Saturdays with HIIT cardio 2X daily, focusing on volume, volume, volume with my workouts. I had a great off season going heavy and working on certain 'weak' areas. Looking forward to seeing the changes and improvements. I been using a stimulant free pre workout (ATP Extreme) and this has really made a difference in my strength and endurance. I am so happy that I found a product that I can use for my evening workouts that won't keep me 'wired' all night. As planned, I am going to compete locally then step on the National stage. So excited to compete again...:mosh:

mcstrick
04-20-2013, 07:10 PM
early am cardio then de-load week for weights, so I got in some rope pullups, glute/ham raises, inverted rows using the ropes, db bulgarian split squats and bat flyes. did round 2 cardio and getting ready for the REFEED..yeah!!! I am also in a group that is committed to doing100 squats a day for the entire spring season...I been doing these faithfully and changing it up every day. Gotta have some variety in my workouts. I'd like to post some of the videos that my strength coach takes during my training sessions but not sure how to do this from FB...

mcstrick
04-27-2013, 07:42 PM
been sticking to the diet and training plan to a T and shedding the bodyfat..yeah!! Adding some more bling to my suits...can't wait to see how they will look. I started posing practice and planning on attending a local posing clinic next month. Presentation is everything:) I can tell by my progress pics that my lats are spreading out more..just gotta keep working on that v taper. I been doing lots of pullups with different variations of grips, close, wide, neutral, chins, bodyweight and with added weights. Its amazing how much easier it gets as I drop lbs each week. for cardio I been running on the soft sand at the beach with hills going up forward and backwards to kill my quads:) Gonna have my cheat meal tonight and rest up for a tough session with my strength coach tomorrow.

broadys
04-27-2013, 10:34 PM
How many weeks out are you?
Sand dune running and a 100 squats a day, wowser girl thats madness how is it that your still walking upright.

mcstrick
04-28-2013, 12:31 AM
[QUOTE=broadys;1891459]How many weeks out are you?
Sand dune running and a 100 squats a day, wowser girl thats madness how is it that your still walking upright.[/QUOTEI

Im 6 weeks out. i always love running hills even.if its soft beach sand. i do lots of foam rolling n treat myself to deep tissue massage .

mcstrick
05-04-2013, 09:55 AM
Cardio #1 gettin it done! then eat, rest and get ready for hittin the weights with my strength coach. Here are some videos taken during training. The first one was taken a few weeks ago, my first time doing 230lbs deads 5 reps; a couple weeks later I did 230lbs 10 reps followed by 5X10 at 205lbs..since I'm prepping for contest I am now focusing more on volume..then after contest I;ll continue my program of steady increasing weight.
https://www.facebook.com/MNMSTRICK?ref=tn_tnmn#!/photo.php?v=557147867639536&set=vb.100000329846854&type=2&theater (https://www.facebook.com/MNMSTRICK?ref=tn_tnmn#%21/photo.php?v=557147867639536&set=vb.100000329846854&type=2&theater)
This video was on my de-load week and I was able to do 3X10 rope pullups. I been doing 20lb weighted pullups also to build strength..I like to use different grips and pull from a dead hang..all the way down and all the way up.https://www.facebook.com/MNMSTRICK?ref=tn_tnmn#!/photo.php?v=533811866657508&set=vb.100000860979009&type=2&theater (https://www.facebook.com/MNMSTRICK?ref=tn_tnmn#%21/photo.php?v=533811866657508&set=vb.100000860979009&type=2&theater)

Kettle bells:
https://www.facebook.com/MNMSTRICK?ref=tn_tnmn#!/photo.php?v=521015217937173&set=vb.100000860979009&type=2&theater (https://www.facebook.com/MNMSTRICK?ref=tn_tnmn#%21/photo.php?v=521015217937173&set=vb.100000860979009&type=2&theater)

broadys
06-06-2013, 03:02 AM
Your comp is this week right. best of luck for it