PDA

View Full Version : Conventional deadlift vs sumo

powerlifter/bodybuilder
12-29-2011, 08:15 PM
i deadlift about 100lbs more sumo than conventional. the problem is my ass shoots up and i use just back from the floor. I will do sumo at a meet but would it be benificial to do conventional until the meet? also what would be a good guess on time it would take to dl the same conventional as i do sumo? thx

powerlifter62
12-29-2011, 09:25 PM
You deadlift 100lbs more sumo, but you are using all back off of the floor? That is very unusual. It feels like something just isn't right here. Any way you can post videos of near max sumo and conventional?

Ryan Bracewell
12-29-2011, 11:00 PM
If your planning to DL sumo I would not bother training conventional at this time.

powerlifter/bodybuilder
12-29-2011, 11:41 PM
powerlifter, it is so crazy.. i dont want to pull more than 405 for 5 conventional cus my form sucks so bad. i have a meet coming up in jan 14 but the gym i train at doesnt have enough space(leg room) for me to do sumo. we do dl in a squat cage. i guess i will just do sumo at the meet. but what i really wanted to know was after the meet i want to start training cvl with lighter weight....i feel as though if i can strengthen up my cvl deadlift with good form my sumo will go through the roof. I was wondering if someone has already had a correlation of some sort of this type. thx for the advice both of you.

to clear things up i have good form on sumo, but my cvl is terrible form (all back)

powerlifter/bodybuilder
12-29-2011, 11:48 PM
thx i will, much respect ryan.... good job on the show also

juiceinator3000
12-29-2011, 11:49 PM
powerlifter, it is so crazy.. i dont want to pull more than 405 for 5 conventional cus my form sucks so bad. i have a meet coming up in jan 14 but the gym i train at doesnt have enough space(leg room) for me to do sumo. we do dl in a squat cage. i guess i will just do sumo at the meet. but what i really wanted to know was after the meet i want to start training cvl with lighter weight....i feel as though if i can strengthen up my cvl deadlift with good form my sumo will go through the roof. I was wondering if someone has already had a correlation of some sort of this type. thx for the advice both of you.

to clear things up i have good form on sumo, but my cvl is terrible form (all back)
It took me like 6 months of getting corrected every fucking week on my form until I finally understood how to properly pull conventional. Shit got me to the point where I didn't even want to pull anymore. But when I finally got it it was like something clicked. I pull sumo occasionally but I just get worried I'm gonna tear my adductor. I don't know how you pull sumo with your back, that's a new one to me.

powerlifter/bodybuilder
12-29-2011, 11:59 PM
really, thats a long time but its worth it. no i pull cvl with too much back from teh floor because i round it out. I use mostly legs w sumo. i am pretty flexible so knock on wood i havent tweaked my adductor on sumo YET.

juiceinator3000
12-30-2011, 12:13 AM
really, thats a long time but its worth it. no i pull cvl with too much back from teh floor because i round it out. I use mostly legs w sumo. i am pretty flexible so knock on wood i havent tweaked my adductor on sumo YET.

I'm tall and have long arms so pulling sumo is easy as shit for me. I switch back and forth every six months or so. I always go back to conventional. I have vids of both, I think I got 455x8 sumo off gear, and then I stopped pulling for a while. Just hit 535 conventional for a single the other day. But I've literally pulled about 4 times since beginning of August.

powerlifter/bodybuilder
12-30-2011, 12:18 AM
thats good shit man, im shorter and stocky so sumo is for me. 455x8 impressive. my goal is to do 550 at the meet. im a raw lifter, dont fuck with the suits and shit no more... i powerlifted for the university i was at and hated those. I have respect for the ppl that are good with it but im not built for it. raw please :)

juiceinator3000
12-30-2011, 12:24 AM
Sumo is better for long arms. Less length to pull.

juiceinator3000
12-30-2011, 12:24 AM
And I meant gear like test not PL gear lol

powerlifter/bodybuilder
12-30-2011, 12:29 AM
oh lol, dont really fck with the stuff. too young, no money, and havent maxed out genetics

juiceinator3000
12-30-2011, 12:40 AM
oh lol, dont really fck with the stuff. too young, no money, and havent maxed out genetics

I didn't touch shit till I was 24. Didn't need to, and had the same reasons as you. Proper form and consistency will get better results anyday than someone on gas with shitty technique.

powerlifter/bodybuilder
12-30-2011, 12:45 AM
seems true to me... good physique, do you do bb comps too?

juiceinator3000
12-30-2011, 12:47 AM
seems true to me... good physique, do you do bb comps too?

Yessir.

powerlifter/bodybuilder
12-30-2011, 12:49 AM
nice, when you planning on hitting the stage again. bb my first love b4 pl

juiceinator3000
12-30-2011, 12:53 AM
Late next year if at all this coming year. Gotta hit 220 before I come down. I'm too tall lol. I love low reps though, I might do a raw meet just for fun my friend said there's one in march or some shit, shoot for 1250 or 1300 some shit like that. See what happens.

powerlifter/bodybuilder
12-30-2011, 12:57 AM
yeah 2013 will be the year for bb for me. sounds like youre gonna kill it. powerlifting puts dense slabs of muscle on, i just need to get my condition better for next show. i stay lean all year round but worry about size too much precontest

powerlifter62
12-30-2011, 06:44 AM

That makes more sense. The main key to good form in the conventional deadlift is keeping your head up and butt down, but that's easier said than done. If you pull more sumo, you should stick with that since it is, overall a more efficient style. A lot of lifters (including me) just can't get as much power off of the floor sumo as they can conventional, but there are plenty of sumo pullers that do.

powerlifter/bodybuilder
12-30-2011, 02:00 PM
lol i know easy said than done right. thx i will stick w sumo for now

IkeFord
12-31-2011, 10:20 PM
Any advice on grip? I'm having trouble with getting my hips low. I'm working on my mobility doing agile 8 exercises, but until I get more mobile should I use a double over hand grip instead of a mix grip?

juiceinator3000
12-31-2011, 10:51 PM
I use hook grip. But it's a bitch in the beginning.

txhawkeyes
12-31-2011, 11:04 PM
Hey Juice, Power, Power, or the other Power.....

I am 6'1", probably 203 this week. Tall and thin. 35/36 shirt sleeve,
long legs. Need help. Started getting serious with Squats, and I do Goblet Squats with dumbells hanging from my arms on both sides...up to
about 85 on each side for the last set of ten.

Need help with Deadlift. I am tall, long, should I do conventional or Sumo Deadlift. Been lifting hard for 30 months, but Dead is something I have never really gotten my arms around, so to spk. Can you just tell me what to do please? :) Tired of avoiding it.

When I do it the regular way, I don't have a ton of flexibility left in my Hams, so I go down to where bar is below my knees, and back up. Keeping back flat and straight, etc. Have not done Sumos...think maybe that is something I would really like...

Need some help please. I wanna get on this, it is about the last thing I
have avoided, and need to master.

Thanks in advance.

Anabolic77
01-01-2012, 01:16 AM
I used to use a over under grip all the time and my right forearm was killing me so I went back to normal grip and my forearm stopped hurting so I'll never go back to over under. I just use versa grips when I get to 405 and up.

Anabolic77
01-01-2012, 01:20 AM
I did get 585 for a triple last week. I was pretty proud. :) but I'm 5'8" so I don't have to pull as far like u tall guys always say.

Anabolic77
01-01-2012, 01:26 AM
That was with no belt just versa grips. I stopped using a belt a few months ago on deads and squats and have been loving it.

IkeFord
01-01-2012, 03:33 AM
I don't want to use straps or any kind of grips so I might just have to suck it up and grip it and rip it.

IkeFord
01-01-2012, 03:40 AM
[QUOTE=juiceinator
3000;1597242]I use hook grip. But it's a bitch in the beginning.[/QIUOTE]

m gonna try this. I'm guessing the thumb placement keeps the bar from trying to roll out.

juiceinator3000
01-01-2012, 07:20 AM
Hey Juice, Power, Power, or the other Power.....

I am 6'1", probably 203 this week. Tall and thin. 35/36 shirt sleeve,
long legs. Need help. Started getting serious with Squats, and I do Goblet Squats with dumbells hanging from my arms on both sides...up to
about 85 on each side for the last set of ten.

Need help with Deadlift. I am tall, long, should I do conventional or Sumo Deadlift. Been lifting hard for 30 months, but Dead is something I have never really gotten my arms around, so to spk. Can you just tell me what to do please? :) Tired of avoiding it.

When I do it the regular way, I don't have a ton of flexibility left in my Hams, so I go down to where bar is below my knees, and back up. Keeping back flat and straight, etc. Have not done Sumos...think maybe that is something I would really like...

Need some help please. I wanna get on this, it is about the last thing I
have avoided, and need to master.

Thanks in advance.
I got you. Pm me though, I can help you much better thru there

I did get 585 for a triple last week. I was pretty proud. :) but I'm 5'8" so I don't have to pull as far like u tall guys always say.
tall man, long arms, short pull. Don't let tall guys fool you. My sumo pull is like 10 inches lol, I'm 82 inches tall with 87inch wing span easily. I was gonna train with a former cruiserweight champ boxer but just couldn't leave lifting alone. Boxing requires something I don't have, cardio endurance lol

[QUOTE=juiceinator
3000;1597242]I use hook grip. But it's a bitch in the beginning.[/QIUOTE]

m gonna try this. I'm guessing the thumb placement keeps the bar from trying to roll out.
yep. Get some chalk and chalk your whole thumb and first and second finger, squeeze the fuck out of your thumb and pull

BrotherIron
01-01-2012, 02:26 PM
You can also tape the thumb in the beginning when you use a hook grip. It helps some with the pain that they exp when first performing a lift while using a hook grip. I would advise you to use a hook grip on your lower weight sets and slowly work your way up to make it easier on yourself.

IkeFord
01-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Thanks guys. Gonna pull in the morning and try it.

juiceinator3000
01-01-2012, 04:28 PM
You can also tape the thumb in the beginning when you use a hook grip. It helps some with the pain that they exp when first performing a lift while using a hook grip. I would advise you to use a hook grip on your lower weight sets and slowly work your way up to make it easier on yourself.

yea I guess that's the vaginal method.

IkeFord
01-01-2012, 06:23 PM
So vagasil is good for my grip? Haha

juiceinator3000
01-01-2012, 07:36 PM
So vagasil is good for my grip? Haha

:) lol you get what I'm saying. Deadlifts aren't for pussies. The only way to get used to the suckdickness but awesomeness that is hook grip is to sack up and go with it.

IkeFord
01-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Hell yeah! Time to get strong!

IkeFord
01-02-2012, 07:53 PM
I used the hook grip tonight and I like it. With the double over hand grip I feel like I can get my hips down lower and my backs not killing me. Thanks guys.

juiceinator3000
01-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Hook grip is the way to go :)