PDA

View Full Version : Picking up the pieces from 2011 NPC Nationals and trying to get motivated to come back to the stage

BrittneyLayne
01-16-2012, 06:14 PM
HI, I am a NPC Bikini competitor, I have always received 1st call out at every show, and made top 5 at every show I have entered. I was coming off a 3rd place finish at NPC Jr usa's and I pushed very hard and trained the best I ever had to compete at NPC Nationals in Miami. I just knew I would win that Pro card. I felt very confident, my trainer said I had put on muscle mass in the right places and I looked my best.....long story short- I came in 15th place. I was devestated. I'm still trying to shake it off...I am still hurt and it's all very confusing to me. 2 girls that made top 5 I have beat at other shows, so to come in so far behind, in 15th place was heart breaking.
I had decided I wasn't going to compete anymore, I "had it" and was over it all....but of course as time passes, you start to get over it all. I started following a diet again, doing cardio, and lifting again. I still have days when I think about Nationals and wonder why I'm doing this (training for yet another season of competitions) I guess only time can heal and I'll eventually stop thinking about my last contest I entered and the awful feeling on stage when you get 3rd call out group....this is my first time doing a training journal, I will try to keep it up daily, this seems like a great therapy session for me- LOL!!!!

juiceinator3000
01-16-2012, 06:33 PM
I wonder why I do it all the time. I'll never go pro. Hell I'll probably never even win an overall at a show. I do it because I love it. Without exercise, diet, competing, I know my other life goals suffer too. Anyway, keep posting :) and from what I hear competing at nats is always a little shocking the first time. Keep your head up :)

sassy69
01-16-2012, 07:32 PM
Britney- check out my friend's article that got published in Natural Muscle back in December about when a show doesn't go the way you want: http://www.myvirtualpaper.com/doc/total-health/dec11virtual/2011112901/#0 (Starts on Page 40).

In managing expectations, I wanted to call out that there's a HYUUUUUUUGE difference between the Jr USAs and the NPC Nationals. The Jr USAs, though a national show, is also the earliest in the season. It tends to be the smallest of all the national shows because most competitors are looking to compete later in the season or may be needing to requalify. It is also a 'Jr' tier show, so again, the very high-end competition is going to come at shows like the USAs & Nationals. There's an inherent uncertainty in any judging because that's just the way it is - but when you're comparing shows, you need to keep things in perspective - even at the national level show. The Nationals is THE TOP of the TOP whereas, the Jr USAs is a national show, but is not at the same level as the Nationals. It just isn't, so its important to keep things in perspective in outcome relative to what show. You've kicked ass all over the place so far. You've got the start of a new year and another step towards THE TOP of the TOP!

Go get 'em!

Sunnyday
01-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Welcome, Brittney! Glad you decided to start a journal.

The Prodigy
01-16-2012, 10:18 PM
There are TONS of girls on here who can vouch for these words: I am quitting this sport ALL the time! I have felt the same way! I am CONSTANTLY trying to walk away, yet my love for it SOMEHOW pulls me back in. Let the burn you feel when you think about National be your drive to train hard, diet hard and learn all you can! Use it as motivation!

I am glad you find journaling therapeutic. I think you will find a very support wonderful group of girls here to learn from and share with! WELCOME!!!

tammyp
01-17-2012, 05:47 AM
^ gails just crazy.....we dont pay attention:) only kidding.

i was ready to quit this summer...but changing to PD has renewed my love for the sport and myself.....

Suzanne
01-17-2012, 11:16 AM
IMO if you are only doing it to win or get a pro card you will be unhappy most of the tiem.

Do it cuz you love it, love the workouts, love your body improving each time, love pushing thru the struggles and be able to know you won as long as you gave it 100% regardless of placing or don't do it at all.

BrittneyLayne
01-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Wow, thank you to each and every single one of your comments!!! This was my 1st post to ever do and I figured it might not be read or no one would comment...I just logged in and read every single comment and I feel so much better! I can't thank you all enough....Very True, National is the largest show, especially the one I did this past year in Miami, I want to say it was their biggest show ever. I have decided to compete again at some point this year, just not sure which show to do. Yes, I do need to competge to get my body in the best shape, not to just win, but to get my body looking and feeling how I want it. Those last few weeks when I'm so tired, carb depleted and feeling so drained BUT looking in the mirror at my flat stomach and seeing all my muscles nicely defined is worth it all for sure!!
I just wish I wasn't so hard on myself and let these shows beat me up when I don't place how I want too. I need to look on the brightside I guess and look at the pictures of myself on stage and be proud- not sad b/c i didn't walk away with a trophy.
I really do appreciate every single comment and time you took to respond to me- it helped me so much! :)

BrittneyLayne
01-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Love that article!! Was perfect for me- thank you for sending me this! I'm going to print it out and keep a copy of it at home and work, so when i start thinking about my last contest, i'll re-read the article and not get down on myself! Thank you!! Great Article!