PDA

View Full Version : Natural Sleep Remedy Help

SilverBAK
04-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Anyone have a tried and true natural sleep remedy? I am a full time college student, full time business owner in the process of launching a new product, and full time recreational and competitive bodybuilder. I JUST CANT SLEEP. I allocate enough time for 8 hours of sleep per night but i end up tossing and turning for hours with a restless mind. I dont like the idea of rx sleeping meds so i was wondering if anyone has a good supplement stack?

I was thinking maybe:
Theanine
Gaba
Melatonin
Rhodiola

?

Frosty
04-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Hmm I'd be curious of your circadian rhythms of cortisol. A lot of people are backwards...they have high night cortisol and low morning. It's supposed to be the other way around and naturally it screws up sleep a lot.

One thing to perhaps consider is a saliva circadian rhythm test of DHEA-S and cortisol. It tests 4 times throughout the day, and is very accurate. Even if you have to pay completely out of pocket it's $120-140. You don't even need a doctor to order it for you like many tests.

Melatonin I do like in either time release or a cream that you can rub on the inside of your thighs.

chasebny
04-08-2009, 04:17 PM
True protein sells an all in one sleep aid thats extremely cheap here:

http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_Details.aspx?cid=25&pid=6882

crashcrew56
04-08-2009, 07:00 PM
This is going to sound really gay, but Jasmine scented candles

225orDie
04-09-2009, 05:30 AM
ALRI Lean Dreams!!!

ChunkyThunder
04-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Melatonin works awesome, you may not need anything else

Chebster
04-09-2009, 06:35 PM
I totally rate melatonin. Take it at least 45 mins before going to bed, and go to bed when you can feel your eyes sagging. Other things that help for me are having a cool temp in the bedroom and some easy going comedy on the radio that will last about an hour, as it diverts you, if you find that your mind goes into overdrive at the end of the day.

SoxFan11
04-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Melatonin works wonders. And it's dirt cheap.
I'm currently using TP's sleep aid and it also works very well.

Strikerrjones
04-09-2009, 08:22 PM
I also use melatonin, and it knocks me the eff out 45 minutes after I take some. Right now I'm using Optimum Nutrition's brand. I think it's like 3 bucks for 100 3mg tablets.

"Rodz"
04-11-2009, 01:06 AM
I also use melatonin, and it knocks me the eff out 45 minutes after I take some. Right now I'm using Optimum Nutrition's brand. I think it's like 3 bucks for 100 3mg tablets.

ive seen it in 1,3,5 mg tabs, how much are u taking?

Admiral Johnson
04-13-2009, 02:17 AM
can you get dependant on melatonin pretty quickly? I might just get some for the times when I cant sleep and REALLY need too like if I have an interview or test the next day or something.

Frosty
04-13-2009, 11:21 AM
can you get dependant on melatonin pretty quickly? I might just get some for the times when I cant sleep and REALLY need too like if I have an interview or test the next day or something.

Never noticed dependence.

But in all seriousness, if you sleep terribly without it, I wouldn't just use melatonin every night forever because you obviously have an underlying problem that needs to be addressed. Whether it's wacked out cortisol levels, toxic liver (night wakings), poor pre-bed and sleep habits, eating the wrong foods before bed (like beef, eggs), taking stimulating supplements before bed like ALCAR, B6, BCAAs.....

thepump
04-13-2009, 11:24 AM
melatonin+CALMING SOUNDS..

Wheels
04-13-2009, 02:07 PM
If I ever have a problem sleeping, I pop a melatonin and I'm out. Vivid dreams.

SoxFan11
04-14-2009, 11:35 PM
ive seen it in 1,3,5 mg tabs, how much are u taking?

I have always gone with the 3mg size. But I know people who started with 1mg and it worked just fine for them. So, I'd suggest starting with 1mg and see if/how it works.

crashcrew56
04-15-2009, 11:46 PM
I highly suggest the Jasmine candles I've been using it for about a week now, and I have never had such a great week of sleep

RDFinders
04-17-2009, 02:44 PM
i have always used valerian root. i purchase the tincture and keep it on hand for those nights i cannot get calm sleep. i have been feeling like you here lately. also powerfull is really good at increasing good, solid sleep.

Yolo
04-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Hmm I'd be curious of your circadian rhythms of cortisol. A lot of people are backwards...they have high night cortisol and low morning. It's supposed to be the other way around and naturally it screws up sleep a lot.

Hypothetically, if one were to have said screwed up cortisol, how would one go about "un-screwing" them so to speak...? Thanks (and sorry to hyjack someone else's thread:D)

Frosty
04-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Hypothetically, if one were to have said screwed up cortisol, how would one go about "un-screwing" them so to speak...? Thanks (and sorry to hyjack someone else's thread:D)

Wouldn't be too difficult. non-DGL licorice root with first two meals to assist the body in raising cortisol levels in the AM by making it easier for the adrenals, MAYBE 150mg quality rhodiola rosea in the AM as well (regulates cortisol), and 5g of glycine per meal for the last 3 meals of the day if you eat 6 meals. Of course no caffeine post morning (preferably none), not working out really hardcore late at night...getting 8 hours quality sleep. Trying to avoid stimulating things towards bed for example war video games or anything like that. No steady state cardio in the evening. Basically try to avoid anything stressful in the evening, even though I know it's nearly impossible, but shoot for that and you'll do well. Low intensity cardio is good as it actually reduces cortisol levels for night.

Remember, cortisol levels are SUPPOSED to be high in the morning and gradually lower from late morning through night. You should have energy in the morning and get sleepy and ready for bed around 10-11 pm.

Yolo
04-23-2009, 02:59 AM
Wouldn't be too difficult. non-DGL licorice root with first two meals to assist the body in raising cortisol levels in the AM by making it easier for the adrenals, MAYBE 150mg quality rhodiola rosea in the AM as well (regulates cortisol), and 5g of glycine per meal for the last 3 meals of the day if you eat 6 meals. Of course no caffeine post morning (preferably none), not working out really hardcore late at night...getting 8 hours quality sleep. Trying to avoid stimulating things towards bed for example war video games or anything like that. No steady state cardio in the evening. Basically try to avoid anything stressful in the evening, even though I know it's nearly impossible, but shoot for that and you'll do well. Low intensity cardio is good as it actually reduces cortisol levels for night.

Remember, cortisol levels are SUPPOSED to be high in the morning and gradually lower from late morning through night. You should have energy in the morning and get sleepy and ready for bed around 10-11 pm.

I hear you, thanks very much!