PDA

View Full Version : Lock's Journal: get it done

LockItUp
01-23-2012, 03:51 PM
New member to RX, but a long time reader of the forums and follower of the site. I have been listening to Dave on the podcasts since MD, and have been reading through the years, just never contributing to the community.

Well, I wanted to start a training log here. I have one going for about 2+ years now over at IntenseMuscle, and it shows a ton of my progress along the way. Complete with videos, pictures, splits, diets used, prep stuff, q and A, and some rants, as I like to "blog" I guess is the right term...I call it journaling, and I ave done it ever since beginning training in my early teens.

A brief bio (if anyone wants to know more about me, I suggest checking out my original training journal (will PM it upon request, as I have been warned about linking to outside sites already).

My name is Marc Sestok. I am currently finishing my Mater's Degree at The University of Pittsburgh in Health, Physical Activity, and Chronic Disease research. I am looking to pursue my PhD right after I complete my last classes and my comprehensive exam. I feel I can bring a lot of knowledge to the table for a young guy (I am 23). I have worked at a high level sports performance institute in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. I worked mainly with NFL players, high level collegiate incoming rookies looking to improve combine and pro day scores, as well as working with the entire Pittsburgh Power Arena football team as our company was their s&c team. I am pursuing my PhD to hopefully become an independent researcher one day. I love experimenting with ideas, especially when it comes to my body...I've tried A LOT. I have been training seriously I would say since I started at 14...I started making progress and it took off. Bodybuilding became my pursuit, not partying, or anything like that. Studying, learning, lifting, eating. That's what centers me.

I have helped a few guys prep for contests, (nothing major, just friends) and prepped them well. I like doing that sorta thing. It's fun to me. Although I feel I have a lot to offer, I still love to learn and try new ideas. I am CONSTANTLY looking for feedback...it's one of the biggest ways one learns: through the experience and knowledge of others. So, I am in no way touting myself as an expert in ANYTHING. I can still learn a lot and benefit from a community providing feedback.

SO, my plan with this journal is to simply post my entries here, as well as on IntenseMuscle. I won't post old entries, but I will post a few of the more recent ones to play catch up so I can start logging fresh here.

Ok, enough of the chatter. The next couple posts will be entries from the last week, well training wise that is. I will leave out chatter between others in my journal to keep it clutter free until I can catch up...

So here we go, hopefully I can get some quality feedback from this VERY large community of great athletes!

LockItUp
01-23-2012, 03:54 PM
Dated: 12.5.11

ARMS/Abs

Warmup:
Standing one arm cable concentration curl: 3 x 20
One arm overhead DB ext: 3 x 20

Work:

Dips: BW x 25, Bw + 45 x 15, BW + 90 X 13,
Drop set: Bw+ 115lbs x 9, Bw x failure

Standing BB curl: 95 x 25, 135 x 15, 155x 12
Drop set: 165 x 9, 95 x failure

Close grip BB floor press (complete deload of weight each rep): 135 x 25, 225 x 12, 245 x 8, 265 x 6

Standing simultaneous Hammer curl: 50's x 15, 60's x 15, 75's x 13

California press: 90lbs x 20, 140lbs x 15, 190lbs x 10

Incline Simultaneous DB curl** : 35's x failure (3 sets)
**-Just did these super slow, squeeze at top, and hold the stretch at bottom. Didn't even count reps...too painful, LOL.

Seated overhead cable extension w/ v grip: (7 sets, 30 sec rest) 8-12

Close grip cable preacher: 7 sets, 30 sec rest: 8-12

Superset: Hanging leg raises x failure + Weighted crunch machine x failure: 100 total reps

Ab rollouts: 3 sets x failure

Stretch like a mofo.

LockItUp
01-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Dated: 12.8.11

Chest/Calves

Decline smith: working up to top set of 385x 6, Drop set: starting at 405, stripping off 90lbs till 135x failure

Flat DB negatives: 120's x 3 + 80's x failure, 120's x 3 +75's x failure, 120's x + 70's x failure 3
**-Did these as so:
Full on, true, 10 sec negative, force it back up repeat for 3 reps total. Then, after that immediately go into normal set of lesser weight x failure..this is really hard.

Incline DB Fly: 50's x 15, 60's x 12, 75's x 10

High cable fly: 7 sets, 30 sec rest: 8-12 reps

LockItUp
01-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Dated: 12.10.11

DELTS/Bis

Seated smith :135 x 20, 185 x 8, 225x 12, 255x 11, 275 x 8,
Drop set: 315 x 4 + 3 forced reps, drop to 225x7, drop to 135 x 25

BB upright row: Started at 135 x 15, and added 20lbs until I couldnt hit 10 reps. Ended with 205x 7

Seated laterals: 40's x 12-15, 5 sets**
-Did these different today. Super slow and controlled. I mean REALLY SLOW. Pause at the top and squeeze. shorter rests between sets.

Rear delt fly: 4 sets, last set lighter weight higher reps

Machine press: 7 sets, 30 sec rest: stack + all incremental weights x 8-12**
-Gonna have to find me a new machine for this...used all the weight I could and I hit it for 15, 13, 12, 12, 10, 9, and 7....awesome.

One arm cable concentration curl: 3 sets

One arm DB hammer preacher curl: started with 25's, added 5lbs until I couldn't hit 10. Ended with 50 x 8

Preacher macine: 7 sets, 30 sec rest: 8-12 reps

STRRRRREEEETTTTTCCCCCCCCCCCCH

LockItUp
01-23-2012, 03:57 PM
Today was legs, and I had to be sure to condense my workout as much as possible because I am on a tight schedule with a Final tonight...planned to do as much studying as possible before my exam. My intention today was to hit one move for hams and quads each that would be the main move using strip sets or drops or forced reps, and then I would see what I have left in the tank and maybe just do a finisher.

So, with that in mind, here's how today went, and oh was it a doozy...

LEGS

Hacks: 1ppsx20, 2ppsx15, 3pps x 10, 5ppsx 12, 6ppsx9, 7ppsx 6
STRIP SET:
7pps x 5,
6ppsx5
5ppsx 6
4pps x 10
3ppsx 8
2pps x failure
2pps x failure

-Started to feel just a bit queasy in the stomach...

Lying leg curl: Same set up as hacks. Working up weight, then a giant strip set at the end....

next, we have

PUKING RALLY!
10 minutes of 100% vomit sets.

Seriously, I got to the second level of strips on that leg curl and just started to lose it. Puked in my mouth, and ran to the bathroom (which is upstairs, FYI) and proceeded to heave for 10 minutes.

I called it a day after that, good god. Those hacks did me in...won't be doing that again any time soon. But hey, I kept my session brief! http://www.intensemuscle.com/images/smilies/smile.gif I think the puking had to do with me being a bit dehydrated just from not drinking much water yesterday or this morning. I am used to having about 2-3 gallons of water daily, and yesterday I probably got in maybe a 1/4 of gallon all day, and this morning I had about 16oz with meal one...doesn't help I had some wine last night. And by "had some wine" I mean split a bottle with someone. "You've been studying how long? Shit, you need a glasss of wine..." and one becomes two and two becomes 6 and so on. Drinking is fun, but I don't do it enough to ever feel good the next day, LOL.

First time puking in years...feels good man. http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_le87rlgXGi1qeodf5.jpg

LockItUp
01-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Dated 12.14.11

Had to get in another session today under time constraints...

Chest/calves

Decline Smith: 135x 25, 225x20, 275x12, 315x12, 365 x 8, 385 x 5, 365 x 5
Drop set: 315 x 10, 225 x 11, 135 x failure (sloooow)

Machine fly: 4 sets, last two sets were with stack + all incremental weight. 8-12 reps per set

Inc. DB fly- 50's x 15, 60's x 12, 70's x 9

Flat cybex plate loaded press: 2pps x 15 (sloooooow), 3pps x 8 (slowwww) 3 pps x 6 (even slower)

High cable fly: 7 sets, 30 sec rest: 8-12 reps

Hit calves right quick, then streeeeeeeetches.

One paper down, one final down, 2 more finals to go, and one paper to turn in....T-minus one hour to my research design final, which is statistics based...yay. Crushed my phys exam last night though, so that's good. Chronic disease test thursday night, focusing on the pathophysiology, pharmacological intervention, history, prognosis, and pharmacology physiology of Diabetes. Sounds fucking fun right? Double yay.

LockItUp
01-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Dated 12.16.11

Back/tris

Deads (straps, no belt)
135x12
225x8
315x6
405x3
495x3
545x1
560x1 (belt +straps)
570x1** fail
495X5
405X8
315X20

**-560 went up smooth, 570 Didn't even budge off the floor, LOL. I was pretty spent.

BB Row: 3 sets of 225x12-15, slow and controlled

Neutral grip pull ups: Bw x 20, Bw x 20, Bw + 25 x 10, Bw +25 x 10

Tate press: 4 sets

One arm overhead DB ext: 4 sets

Close grip pushdown w/ v grip: 7 sets, 30 sec rest, 8-12 reps

Alright, don't think I am hitting 600 by the 1st, but I think I can hit it by the next deload I take. Grip felt strong, which I wasn't expecting. Robb told me I can only use chalk and a belt for the challenge...I never not use straps when pulling, anything over 4 plates...gonna be tough.

I think I'll end up hitting 575 next week though.

On another note, I am experimenting a little with carb back loading on off days. I go no carbs until my 5th meal then pound em. I am leaning out quickly just from this and being really strict throughout the weak, and my weight is holding strong...pretty sweet.

LockItUp
01-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Dated 1.4.11

Been slacking with the updates.

I title this log entry:

"Call me captain setback"

Ok, to make this as condensed as possible, here's an update as to what I am doing:

Went on break from school. Had a shceduled appointment with my doc. Brought up some concerns about some flareups I have been feeling. Got evaluated.

Advice from doc: "you need to stop training, you're spasming right now!"

As I, my doc, and anyone reading this knows...that's not gonna happen. So, with my doc's blessing, I took a few days off working on some rehab stuff and deeeeeeeeeeeeep stretching/breathing to take some pressure off my nerves, follwoed by getting back to the gym, BUT, my doc tells me "I want you working at 70% of your 1 rep max on any lift, I don't care what it is...that is as heavy as I can say for you to go, but I still worry it's gonna cause problems". My doc knows me for a long time now, knows what I do, knows the weight I push. So he yelled at me " THAT MEANS YOU CAN STILL USE SOME DAMN HEAVY WEIGHT (to most people), YOU'RE LUCKY I AM SAYING YOU CAN TRAIN AT ALL! THE ONLY REASON I AM TRYING TO GIV3E YOU GUIDELINES IS THAT I KNOW YOU WILL NOT LISTEN TO ME SAYING 'STOP TRAINING'."

lol

Further, 5 days before Christmas, I get food poisoning...bad. I start to feel better, then the next day I wake up with stomach issues again, except this time it's coming from both ends...I went to urgentcare because I was afraid I had some serious bad stomach infection or something ( I am never eating thai food again, fuck that). Doc tells me "Nope,...but I think you have a stomach virus from your symptoms". Let that run it's course, followed up with the doc after and I am cleared for play, haha.

However, due to being sick, I literally ate MAYBE one meal over the span of 4 days...that+ no training = me losing around 15 lbs in a week...but I feel okay now.

So, where does that leave me? Going all out trying to gain weight isn't gonna happen right now. I just can invest all of me in it like I NEED to for a few reasons....

THEREFORE, I have decided, because I feel like if I don't have a goal I am spinning wheels...

I have decided to just go ahead and get contest lean again. Why? Fuck if I know, but probably because it just makes sense at this point: can't train really really heavy, money is tight so I can't eat like I need to, and ya I'll say it:

I like being shredded. It's really fucking fun. I won't torture myself with getting down to levels where I would step on stage...but 6% bodyfat? Ya, let's go.

Diet is gonna be EXACTLY the same as my contest diet I ran for the first month or so of my last prep, just with some more protein, and maybe some more carbs here and there. I am gonna type it all out with macros for anyone to see, just later, not now.

Will I still lift heavy? As heavy as I can, sure. Everything else will be adjusted as if I am going into prep mode. Cardio, check. Fat burners, check. Eating only whats on my diet, check. Cheat meals once every 10-14 days, check.

Fuck it, Ima get shredded. I asked for a camera for christmas/birthday (Jan 27), and didn't receive one for Christmas, but am inclined to believe I am getting one for the b-day. So, I will start posting training vids again, and will be able to show my progress off.

I'm thinking an 8 week contest diet, as I am not really that outta shape now.

Okay, so that's the update, now for today's training:

New split, designed to put punishment on my injured area once a week all in one shot.

Arms/abs
Quads/calves
off
Chest/tri's
Shoulders/bi's
off
Back/hams/calves
off
Repeat

Cardio right now: 30min Liss in the AM. 20mins Liss postworkout on arms and chest day. Will increase cardio by 5 mins per week. Will add in more postworkout sessions once I hit 45 mins in the am.

Until I get my feet back under me from me being sick/off, I am doing this setup:

Per bodypart:

First exercise: 12 reps per set, pyramid up until one left in the tank on 12
Second: 10 reps per set '' '' '' '' '' ''' 10
Third: 8 reps per set, " " " " 8
Fourth: 15 reps per set " " " " 15, followed by a drop set.

Of course, this will change according to bodypart (I.E. Quads are gonna get more exercises than bi's etc)

Today:

Cardio: AM 30mins LISS

Arms/ABS
Ez bar curl
Dips
Incline Hammer curls (simultaneous)
Pjr Pullover
Cable Curl
V grip pushdown
Preacher machine
One arm overhead db ext

20 Mins of abs. (Hanging leg raise, weighted machine crunch, band woodchops, inverted situps) Just did it in cicruit fashion until 20 minutes was up.

20mins LISS cardio

OH, and Rob...didn't hit that 600. I hit 585, chalk only, no belt though...I'll get it when I can start ramping up the weights again. I am thinking come late march/early may is when that is gonna happen. For now, leaning out.
For anyone who cares, I am 238lbs today...down from a little over 250 before that fucking food poisoning/virus.

LockItUp
01-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Dated 1.7.11

Been skimping again on the updates, but as I have nothing real interesting going on training wise as I am ramping it back up right now from that layoff...ohhh well. http://www.intensemuscle.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

I have been informed I will be getting a camera very soon, so that's cool. I will be sure to put up some training vids when I can. I am also considering doing the ISOM this month...it's deads. I am only going up to 405 though for it. I'll just crank the reps out and go balls out...I wanna win that T-Shirt! LOL If my back will allow it, I'm going for it.

Today was back/hams. As I said, I am just doing a simple approach for the next week or so until I am back and ready to go. Just to refresh anyone wondering:

Exercise one: ramp up weight until "top" set of 12
Ex 2: Same, but to 10
Ex 3 : Same, but to 8
Ex 4: Same, but to 15 and a drop set or superset at the end

Ok, so here was today. Numbers are really irrelevant right now, as I am not going all out to failure on my any of my sets, But I'll post em up.

BACK/HAMS

Pullups: Bw x 15, Bw x 12, Bw + 10 x 12, Bw + 20 x 12, Bw +45 x 8

Low pulley row (Double D): Stack x 10, Stack + 25 x 10, Stack + 25 x 10

Deads:
135x8
225x8
315x8
405x8
495x8
545x2
565x1
**-Ok ok. So I got a little agressive. I am just back in the "FUCK I LOVE TO DEADLIFT!!!!" mode right now. I am scaling it back form now on...at least for a month or so.

Lying Cable pull over: 6plates x 15, 7 plates x 15

Super sets: Lying cable pullover + Banded Pullups: 2 sets of 12 reps per.

Hams:
Seated curl: 110x 12, 150x 12, Stack x 12, Stack x 12

Lying Curl: 4 sets of 10

GHR: 3 sets of 8. Nice and slow.

I also wanna make a note. Since my rehab, I have been reallllly working on flexibility in my posterior chain. I have progressed quite a bit recently. I have always been pretty flexible for a "bigger" person. I can put my legs behind my head. Now, I have a new goal:

A split. I am getting closer and closer as the weeks go on. Today, I was so damn near going into a full on split (facing forward style). It felt insane. A guy I knew saw me doing it and thought I was in a full split, but he couldn't tell I wasn't totally in it because of my pants....I'm getting close. But it's gonna take a lot longer to get it. I hear the last 10% of it is the hardest to develop the flexibility for. I am doing a lot of stretching for my hams, piriformis, hips, everything. New pet project for me http://www.intensemuscle.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

LockItUp
01-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Dated 1.7.12

Oh, and I forget to writeup my new diet for the next couple months. So, if anyone would like to see how I am setting it up, here it is...

Now, the way I am typing this is just the way I have it in my head. First time putting it down...you'll notice I'm not listing what I am eating when, just the amounts of a macro. I don't know if anyone else does things like I do, but I have been putting together diets for myself (and others) like this for a while now. It just works for me...probably because the budget's tight and I stick to only a few foods if I am really looking to diet. Oh well, here it goes:

Foods:

Proteins
Chicken breast
Canned Tuna
Lean Steak
Egg Whites
Whey + BCAAS**
Non-Fat Cottage Cheese
Tillapia

Fats
Egg Yolks
EVOO
Almonds (raw)
Cashews (whole)
Natural Peanut Butter
Fat in streak

Low GI Carbs
Oats (Non Instantized, plain)
Yams
Brown Rice (Debateable Gi, but to me I feel it's comparable to Low)
High GI Carbs
Bananas
Special K Cereal Bars
Gatorade

Filler/Veggies/Uncounted
Broccoli
Asparagus
Green Beans
Spinach (leaves, raw)
Lettuce

Condiments/Extras
Yellow Mustard
Apple Cider Vinegar
Hot Sauce
Sea Salt
Black Pepper
Garlic Powder
Crystal Lite
Cinnamon
Splenda
**Bcaas also are not counted towards protein, but sometimes used to replace 3whey at sticking points.

Meals:

1: 65g Protein
15g fat
50g low gi carbs
Veggies

2: Preworkout
50g Whey + creatine + glutamine

3: Postworkout
50g whey +creatine + glutamine + 35g High GI Carbs (Gatorade/Cereal Bars)

4: 65g Protein
65g Low Gi Carbs + 35g High GI carbs
Veggies

5: 50g Protein
15-25g fat
Veggies

6: 65g Protein
15g fat

7: 30g Protein
15 g fat

Pretty simple. Nothing fancy, no bells and whistles. Just what works. An agressive approach, IMO, but for 8 weeks? Easy peazy.

LockItUp
01-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Dated 1.9.11

Delts/Bi's

Smith press: 6 sets, topped out at 265 x9

Lateral raise: 3 sets, topping at 55's x 10

Rear delt machine: 4 sets

Machine shoulder press: 3 sets, last one a drop. Stack + all incrementals x 15 per set

One arm DB Preacher: 4 sets, topping at 45 x 9

Close grip ez bar: 5 sets

Rope, cable hammer curl: 3 sets, last one a drop (stack x 10, 3/4 stack x 7, half stack x 15)

10 minute total ab circuit (3 rounds):

Hanging leg raises x faliure
Weighted Machine crunch x 20
Decline oblique situps x failure

Treadmill x 20 mins

LockItUp
01-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Dated 1.10.12

QUADS/CALVES

Standing smith calves: 4 sets to top set of 495 x 9, slow and controlled

Seated calves press: 7 sets, 30 sec rest

Squat:
135x15
225x15
315 x 12
405 x 8
405x 8
Box squat to parralell: 495 x 6 (2)
315X15

Cybex leg press (aka Make-me-feel like wuss machine):
400 x 20
600 x 12
780 x 10
960 x 10

Walking db lunge: 3 sets of 60's, x 8-12 per leg

Quad ext: 5 sets, short rests, very very slow and controlled with a squeeze/pause on each rep, 10-15 reps per set

LockItUp
01-23-2012, 04:05 PM
1-12-12
AM Cardio - 35min

CHEST/TRIS
- Going to start to do something a little different: pre exhausting. It's the only way I can think of to still push as hard as I wanna push and not use weight that is gonna exacerbate my problems. I iwill be doing this for everything probably except for my arm day, and perhaps quads...I can't ever get a good workout in after pre exhausting quads...too bad of a pump usually, and it hurts like a bitch.

Machine fly: 4 sets, ramping up weight, 12-15 reps

Incline: 225x12, 245x12, 275x10, Drop set: 315 x 7- 225 x 6, 135 x 22

Exaggerated negative, exxaggertaed pause BB bench (6-3-1-1 tempo): 225 x 8, 245x1, 275 x 1, 295 x 1, 315 x 1, 335 x 1, Normal Set: 225 x failure

Flat DB fly: 40's x 12, 50's x 12, 60's x 10, 70's x 8

High cable fly: 7 sets, 30 sec rest, 8-12 reps

Floor neutral DB press w/ complete deload (3-3-1-2 tempo): 120's x 5 (3)

Seated Overhead cable extension w/ v grip: 4 sets 8-12 reps

Rope pushdown: 7 sets, 30 sec rest, 8-12 reps

AB Circuit (3 rounds, 15 mins total, 30 sec rest between rounds):
Hanging leg raises x 20
rollouts x 12-15
Flutter kicks x 20 sec
Oblique sit ups on decline board x 20

Vacuum work: 2:00 mins total

20 mins treadmill

Forgot to grab the damn camera from my girl last night, so I didn't have it today...fuck. Gonna try to get it for tomorrows deads.

LockItUp
01-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Dated 1.14.11

ARMS/ABS

Overhead One arm DB ext Supersetted with Cable rope hammer curls:

3 sets, 15-20 reps per, one min rest

Standing Ez bar curl:
95 x 15
115 x 15
135 x 13
155 x 10

Dips:
Bw x 20
+ 25 x 15
+ 50 x 15
+ 75 x 12
+ 100 x 9

Super Slow Skulls:
3 sets with 135 x 8 reps

One arm DB preacher:

21's with 35 lbs x 3 sets, dropped to 27.5 lbs by last set

V grip push downs:

5 sets, ramping up weight

Super set: Cable curl + One arm DB concentration

3 sets, 15 and 8 reps

One arm DB overhead Ext 21's

35 lbs x 2 sets

Fat Bar Preacher curls (This bar is thick as FUUUUCK):

bar x 30
+ 20lbs x 20
+30 lbs x 15

Abs:

15 mins of Hanging leg raises to failure supersetted with oblique sit ups on decline board. One min rest between supersets.

20 mins treadmill

Great session. Arms are blown up to shit.

Tonight is my first real refeed of the "diet". I am starting out at a 4 hour refeed window. Gonna go from about 9pm-1 am roughly. Cannot wait

LockItUp
01-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Dated: 1.15.11

Today I hit back and hams. I pushed it to sunday because of MLK day tomorrow...all facilities on campus are closed, including all the weight rooms. So, tomorrow is my off day I was supposed to have today.

BACK/HAMS

Rack Pulls
135X20
225X12
315X5
405X3
495 X 2
ISOM SUBMISSION SET: STRIP SET:

+YouTube Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3wivCmJeXQ)

495 to 405 to 315 to 225

I need your votes guys!! hahahttp://www.intensemuscle.com/images/smilies/heyhey.gif

I wanted to put more weight on for the ISOM, but that felt good for my back to do some reps with. So, I just tried to crank em.

Widegrip Pulldown:
5 sets, stack x 8-15 reps

Kroc row:
120's x failure (~30) 2 sets

Lying leg curl:
4 sets

Lying Leg curl 21's : 2 sets

GHR's:

Was gonna go for 80 Bodyweight reps, but got to about 10 and started dry heaving in the middle of it...was nauseous as all hell. I was spent haha. So I called it.

Treadmill 15mins

My back is on fire,http://www.intensemuscle.com/images/smilies/flame.gif

LockItUp
01-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Dated: 1.15.12

When filming today, I came across pics of my contest from last march, that I have never seen before. The photo situation at the show was awkward, as I have still yet to get in contact with anyone that knows how to get a hold of some shots (they hired a private guy).

My girl snapped these as best she could. She took tons, but these are the only ones that are even remotely visable LOL. As prejudging was hectic, and she had to keep moving to get any kind of an angle (packed house). Than at the night show she was so far back in the auditorium that she had to shoot the giant video screen they had up, LOL. Oh well, it's fun seeing these. Good motivation for myself. Here they are:

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/...k/IMG_0664.jpg (http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/Msestok/IMG_0664.jpg)

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/...k/IMG_0663.jpg (http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/Msestok/IMG_0663.jpg)

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/...k/IMG_0661.jpg (http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/Msestok/IMG_0661.jpg)

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/...k/IMG_0653.jpg (http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/Msestok/IMG_0653.jpg)

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/...k/IMG_0649.jpg (http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/Msestok/IMG_0649.jpg)

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/...k/IMG_0648.jpg (http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/Msestok/IMG_0648.jpg)

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/...k/IMG_0631.jpg (http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/Msestok/IMG_0631.jpg)

LockItUp
01-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Dated 1.17.12

As for today:

AM Cardio ~40mins

DELTS/BIS

Pre exhausts

Seated Cybex lateral raise machine: 5 sets, ramping up weight, topping at stack x 13.

Poliquins press (pin press): 135 x 20, 185 x 10, 225 x 7, 255 x 6, 185 x 15

Seated Side Laterals: 3 sets ramping up weight and then....

+YouTube Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK3bLvQfkAk)

The weights are 50's, 40's, and then I think 35's, but they might have been 25's, LOL.

Curl and Press: did a total of 4 sets.
-I love this exercise ever since JC suggested them. Here's what they look like if anyone is interested.

This was my last set...feeling taxed!

+YouTube Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPJK-OO7pV8)

Standing OLY bar preachers: 3 straight sets of 8-15 reps. Followed by 2 sets of 21's with 105lbs.

Concentric Paused Incline hammer curl: total of 3 sets.
-This exercise is humbling! Highly recommended! Here's what they look like, my last set:

+YouTube Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW0C-ZThBd0)

One arm Cable curl 21's: 3 sets

Machine shoulder press: 5 sets, 30 sec rest, 8-15 reps

That's all she wrote!

LockItUp
01-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Dated 1.19.11

Quads/Calves today

Ab/Aduction: 3 sets

Sissy hack squat: 3 sets

Exxagerated Pause Squat:
135x20
225x10
315x5
315x12
405 x 3 (HOLY SHIT THAT HIT ME LIKE A TON OF BRICKS!)
315x 20 (No pause, narrowed stance, no lockout)

Leg Pres 21's:
800lbs
710lbs
600lbs

Here's my last set with 600. Good god is this painful.

+YouTube Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upmUUd-7liA)

Heavy leg extension: 4 sets

Calves: a bunch of shit, LOL.

LockItUp
01-23-2012, 04:15 PM
When I wanna gain weight, it's never been that much of an issue...BUT, you also have to realize I don't care how I look at all when doing so...I simply don't care as long as I know I am adding muscle, and my lifts are going up. Getting shredded is the easier part of the equation for me. It's getting/staying big that's tough. I do put on fat, sure. But not over the limit of where I am comfortable. When I start seeing myself in pictures and think "woah dude you're bloated" I scale back.

As far as my eating? Well, if you look back through this journal you can see some examples of a typical day of eating. Here is one entry I found from here:
Quote:

5/28/2010 (Post #204)

Oh boy. You guys opened up a can of worms with this one. I think I am one of the few people who actually really eats damn near anything he wants. Of course I am not going out and pounding ice cream and candy or crap like that, but if I get the urge to eat something...I do. I base my eating off of clean stuff sure, but I make it a point to eat a little dirtier too.

I'll give you guys an example of what I mean.

Yesterday I ate this:

8am: 7 Whole Large eggs, Banana, Gatorade
9am: 1.5 cups oatmeal, 2 Scoops Whey, Creatine
10am: Gym
Post gym: 3 scoops TP's Fast Recovery + creatine
Half Hour After Shake 1: 3 scoops whey, 1 cup oats
2pmish : 4 Mcdonalds Double Hamburgers (Mcdoubles, minus the cheese) one large fry

4pm: 3 Cans Tuna, Few tablespoons of EVOO
6:30pm: 3 scoops whey, 1 cup oatmeal
9pm: 11oz chicken, veggies, few tablespoons of EVOO
11pm: 6 whole Eggs
1am: 3 scoops whey, 3 TBSP Natty PB

Honestly that's a light day. I am on the go Mon-Thurs and have to get a lot of my cals in through shakes and tuna...quick stuff. When I have more time I eat bigger meals, like steaks, more chicken meals, Rice, potatoes, etc. Right now though, this is pretty much how I eat daily. Weekends are a bit looser. Like I said I eat pretty much whatever I want. And no, I am not saying I eat like a fat ass and stay lean...I am not lean, for a bodybuilder. But I will say this...I look pretty fucking lean in a tank top...pumped up, sweaty, and in the right lighting LOL. I am happy with my bodyfat...meaning I am comfortable walking around like this, because frankly where I am at now bodyfat wise, is where my body wants to be. I truly have to bust my ass with the diet to stay lean...and that translates into slow, to no growth muscle wise for me. Trust me, I have tried before...I would end up adding 5lbs a year, and staying lean...but never getting to where I wanna be. People always recognize me as a bodybuilder, so I don't think I have gotten too fat.

LockItUp
01-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Dated: 1. 20. 12

Chest/Tris

Dante's pec dec press pre-exhaust

5 sets, ramping up the weight. 10-15 reps per set.

Converging plate loaded press:
2pps x 20, 3pps x 12, 3pps + 25 x 12, 3pps + 35 x 10, 4pps + 25 x 8,
4pps x 7

A vid of the last set, for shits and gigs...nothing earth shattering. 4 plates are there...the black ones look like one plate, lol.

+YouTube Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fASSNBRZOE)

Deload, paused full chest dips:

Bw x 15, Bw + 45 x 12, BW x 90lbs x 3 + drop to bw x failure
-These are done by using a chain belt with a really long chain to allow a deload of the weight. I don't think I invented this exercise, but I don't recall seeing it around much. It's brutally hard to do...especially at the end of a workout. Here's what it looks like:

+YouTube Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud1G21mLAJ4)

High Cable Fly: 7 sets, 30 sec rest
-God I love this movement. It feels like nothing else. Here's a vid, notice my form will get looser as the sets progress and the weight is upped. Last set is lighter for more reps.

+YouTube Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZMM8eVwROs)

Tate Press:

45's x 15, 55's x 12, 65's x9

V-grip pushdown 30's:

2 sets. Did it like this:

first 10 reps are done at the bottom of the movement, second 10 are done at bottom to 50% up, and the final 10 are done with a full ROM. Squeezing at the end of each rep for a hold. Piston like fashion, not pausing or taking tension off. BRUTAL. PAINFUL.

Stretches of course

I don't know how, but I tweaked my back somehow...underneath my scapula is KILLING me. WTF.

LockItUp
01-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Went to the gym today knowing I had to cut back the volume, and pick form over weight. My exercise selection was limited due to the strain. BUT, I did find some moves that I could work with. My plan was to hit hams first, get a little taxed in the posterior chain from that, and then preexhaust as much as I could my back, and then hit it with something kinda heavy that didn't aggrevate that teres...tough choices for movements

Overall a good day consider that, and the fact that I haven't slept since Saturday Night....LOL.

Just a nice and easy day I suppose:

HAMS/BACK

Seated Hammy Curl: 6 sets, working my way up to the stack x 15

GHR's + lying hammy curl super sets:
2 sets of BW GHR's and then the leg curls. It was 18 + 10 reps, then 14 + 13 reps

GHR's: 2Heavier sets with 25lbs. Reallll slow on the negative. KILLS. Went to failure.

Lying leg curl: 2 heavier sets, 8-12 reps

Weighted Hyper:
Wanted to pull today obviously, but that back wasn't having none of that shit. So I did some hypers just working the squeeze, tyring to hit some errectors.

Sets looked like:
Bw x 30, + 45 LBS X 20, + 100 LBS X 10

Then this strip set:

+YouTube Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eJuQ68faG4)

Neutral grip Dead hang pullups Pullups:
Sets looked like- Bw x 20, Bw x 15, Bw + 25 x 10, BW + 45 x 7,

Then These two sets. Took it back down to bodyweight, slow and controlled, then took it back up to 25 with looser form, shorter negatives.

+YouTube Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTMxtsLyZ6c)

Cable row: Just did a few squeeze sets and than one heavier set at the end to end the day. Here are the final two sets:

+YouTube Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVQu7u4ig6g)

Then of course some stretching, which hurt more than the lifting, at least for the back. Gonna just have to keep babying it I guess.

Now, I get to go babysit undergraduates while they give fitness assements...after wards I can go sleep for 90mins then class. Sweet life decisons here, Marc.

LockItUp
01-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Almost forgot to add this today.

I have finally recovered some pictures from my now deceased cell phone. Here are some from last years prep. All are at different points, some leaner than others, obviously. But these are ones I wanted to share.

So, in the spirit of continuing to motivate myself to diet, here they are...I know everyone's favorite types of pictures are cell shots of a bathroom mirror, right? haha. I took em everyday....I was bound to be left with a bunch at some point.114007114008114009114010114011114012

Mr.Bones
01-24-2012, 04:36 AM
Good fucking picz broseph. You have favorable tricep attachments. Keep it up!

LockItUp
01-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Good fucking picz broseph. You have favorable tricep attachments. Keep it up!

Thanks bones. I am trying man. It's tough filling out this 6'2'' frame I'll tell you that much!

Thanks for stoppin in.

Mr.Bones
01-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Yea Np I will be around alot now. A frame that tall, with alot of muscles gets more attention typically.

LockItUp
01-24-2012, 05:30 PM
Yea Np I will be around alot now. A frame that tall, with alot of muscles gets more attention typically.

I dunno man, there are some real thick mofo's round here. Sometimes I wish I was sub 6 foot, haha.

Today was shoulders and bi's. Pre-exhausts, and getting weird with it galore, as my rotator is still tweaked.... lightened stuff a bit.

Delts/Bi

Cable Lateral Raises:
5 sets, very slow, pause at the top 12-15 reps

Reg Park press:
55'x 15
65'sx 12
75's x 12
80sx 9
85s x 7
100's x 6

Smith Shoulder Press:
Total of 6 sets

First three, straight sets:
135 x 20, 185x15, 225x 12

Next 3 are what I call "wave tempo'd sets sets"
Goes:
Set of 225 Rest 45 seconds
Set of 275 Rest 45 seconds
Set of 225

Now where the tempo comes in is the sets of 225. The tempo is 3-2-1-1. Meaning a 3 second true (as close as you can) negative, a 2 second pause on the bottom, and then an explosive positive and lockout at top.

Here's a video showing it, but it's pretty easy to grasp:

gt3MdETRJL0

Levrone's Crucifixes:
2 sets. Each one done until failure, with failure meaning a break in good form.
-This movement is basically a combination of a lateral raise and a rear delt fly. You pull the weight up and back. Here's a vid. Weights are 30, 25, 20. You don't need to go heavy on these, it's about the form. Plus, do them at the end of the workout and your delts will be screaming.

Sw2WasjqRSg

One arm reverse cable curl:
3 sets

Here's a vid in case anyone doesn't know how we (normally) DC'ers do them.

pq17AbSYcoc

Standing 3/4 close grip easy curl:
Pyramiding up in weight, trying to keep the reps the same each time. 6 sets total...here's the last one:

HaJaa_zawp0

Stretches

Very lite ab work. Body weight stuff.

Mr.Bones
01-25-2012, 01:53 AM
looks solid broseph, strong.

LockItUp
01-25-2012, 04:36 AM
looks solid broseph, strong.

Heh, thanks man. Going through some injury rehab/prehab stuff and still not back lifting like I should be...but, I get creative with it. I still try to go heavy...sometimes it backfires though, and I get set back. The spine is a tricky thing, my friend. haha

I'll be sure to stop in and start catching up with your journal, man. It's always nice to have someone bouncing back ideas/encouragement/constructive criticism with.

LockItUp
01-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Ok. I finally got to bed at about 11am yesterday. Slept till around 7, got up, did some work, went to bed at 10, and then woke up this morning around 10...so, I felt good. Refreshed. Was gonna cruise a bit, but decided to train today, I was feeling it.

Brief session though, in and out, pressed for time.

ARMS

Ass-off-Bench CGBP on smith:
135X20
185X20
225X12
275X12
315X9
365X 3 (P-MOTHERFUCKIN R)
335 X 3 +5 FORCED REPS
225X15

-Wanted to push some weight today....said fuck it and went for the 365. Here's a vid...form goes to shit, and it wasn't pretty, but it felt awesome. 2nd rep not a full rom, but I'm content LOL

6F7tT7JQu9A

Pinwheels:
55lbs x 20/arm
65lbs x 15/arm
75lbs x 12/arm
85lbs x 12/arm
90lbs x.....VIDEO
100's x 7/arm

Got a vid of the 90's. Form was for SHIT on the 100's, so not worth posting LOL.

+YouTube Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujt5zMv0fnU)

One arm overhead DB ext 21's:
25's
27.5s
30's

Preacher Ez curl:
70lbs x 10
80lbs x 10
90lbs x 10
100lbs x 10
110lbs x 10
70lbs x 15

Cable v-grip push down:
Kept ramping weight till I couldnt hit 8-12. Super slow and a squeeze on each rep. 6 sets

One arm preacher machine curl (SUPER slow)
10 reps
10 reps
10 reps
15 reps ----lighter weight

Stretches

20 mins Treadmill

Back to myself again. Sleep is goooood. http://www.intensemuscle.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

LockItUp
01-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Just realized the cgbp vid is in slow mo...lol

LockItUp
01-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Alright, so instead of taking a day off and enjoying myself, I just had to hit quads.

Kept it short and sweet today.

Quads/Calves

Heavy leg extension:
3 sets, 8-15 reps

Hacks
VIDEO

+YouTube Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHsgL1G3XTc)

-Love the sissys...they are brutal. The heavy set shocked me pretty good...was beat to shit already I guess.

Walking Db lunge
50lbers x 15/leg (2 sets)
70lbs x 8-12/leg (2 sets)

Leg extensions (7 sets, 30 sec rest, 8-12 reps slow and controlled)

Stretches

Dante's calf walking protocol: 15mins

On a side note. I am looking for a new, constant leg routine. I feel like my upper body has caught up to my legs, probably because I can't load the spine just yet how I would like to...so squatting is suffering, and even leg pressing.

So, if anyone has a suggestion of a SET routine to do, focusing of course always on progression, BUT will allow me to still lift with the current volume split I am using, I am all ears. Open to anything really, once a week, twice a week, hams with quads, split up hams and quads, calves too. I feel my legs are from DC, and really sticking to a plan. I love free wheeling like I have been, but the legs need some more attention now a days....even though they are still strong for me (IMO)

Suggestions gentlemen? Anyone?

Mr.Bones
01-28-2012, 03:24 AM
Daunte's calf walking protocol? Solid liftz

LockItUp
01-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Daunte's calf walking protocol? Solid liftz

Thanks Bones.

I trained DC for a few years exclusively. Dante Truddell, the guy who created that style has his guys do a protocol to bring up calves on the treadmill. It works tremendously. I do it sometimes in place of calf work or on off days when I don't feel like doing an extended session, because it is very difficult and will have you huffing and puffing. I can link you to somewhere that explains it if you want.

LockItUp
01-28-2012, 07:00 PM
CHEST/TRIS

Machine fly pre-exhaust (light):
3 sets ramping up for 10-15 reps, then 2 sets with the stack for 8-12

Incline DB press:
70's x 20
80's x 15
90's x 10
100's x 12
110's x 11
120's x 10
Drop set: 120's to 75's....here's a video. Angle was for shit and I didn't realize, and it was a grinder, form fell apart, as I was tired as shit (kept the rests very brief between sets) but I thought I'd post it.

+YouTube Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmH6Ip4HEVw)

Flat BB:
Just 3 sets with 225 for 10-20 reps a piece, no lockout

Cable fly (arnie style)

7 sets, ramping up weight. Normal rest periods

Cable v grip push down:
5 sets

Overead DB extension (two handed):
100lbs x 12
120lbs x 10 (2 sets)

Stretch

20 mins on the tread

And just for the fun of it, a new pic. I need some sunlight...LOL.

Mr.Bones
01-29-2012, 05:46 AM
Yea link me that calve workout, my calves have always been small.

LockItUp
01-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Yea link me that calve workout, my calves have always been small.

Here you go man, be warned, it's brutal if you do it right...but highly effective.

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?p=565368&highlight=random#post565368

LockItUp
01-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Here's my second attempt at January's ISOM. Back is still giving me trouble, but I did what I could...this shit hurt, LOL.

UiSRG5Kc9TY

LockItUp
02-03-2012, 01:14 AM
Been missin updates...

Today was awkward...those calluses ripping off yesterday did a number for my exercise selection today...shit hurts like no other...I reopened them AGAIN during my first bicep exercise...fml...

AM cardio ~35mins

DELTS/BI's

Pre exhausts, cybex seated lateral machine:
5 sets, working up in weight to the stack x 12
Dropped down to half stack for a set of 20

Seated machine 1 and 1/4 press:
Wanted to get this on video....I really am liking this machine...it's pretty old, but it feels entirely different from the other one we have here. It has variable resistance too...pretty neat. The stack on this is much heavier too, so I can still utilize it for heavyish sets.

Here's my first set, to show what I am talking about with the 1 and 1/4

Did this a total of 4 sets

+YouTube Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09nvHjPnHD0)

Reg park's:
55's x 20
65's x 15
80's x 10
90's x 10
100's x 6 (shit got ugly)
95's x Video
55's x 20

Red, my man, I completely forgot you asked to see the 100's...I remembered after the set, so I set up the cam and got my shitty set of 95's on film...I was pretty taxed, so this is not great form wise, LOL. You can see me shake my head a bit because I couldn't get past 3/4 of a rep on most of the reps haha

Anyway here's the vid with the 95's....

+YouTube Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StoaELOShfs)

Standing Neutral DB front raise:
3 sets
Didn't have to go to heavy on these,LOL. Here's my last set:

+YouTube Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ8fpbTbrg0)

Standing DB curl:
3 sets x 45lbs x 20 per arm....couldn't grip the DB, and reopened my callus on the first set. SOOOOOO...I moved on to

Preacher machine:
5 heavy sets for 8-12 reps, ramping up each set, then
2 sets of 21's.

15 mins on the tread

LockItUp
02-03-2012, 01:16 AM

Today:

Am cardio~40 mins

20mins ab work, various movements all to sub failure sets, high rep, most un weighted.

Tread: 15 mins

Whirpool: One hour of stretching.

Today was arms, no vids, had to rush a bit.

AM cardio: ~40mins

ARMS

Supersets: Rope hammer cable curl + standing oner arm overhead DB extension.

4 sets, 15 reps a piece

Standing close grip ez curl:
65x20
85x15
105x12
125x12
105x14

Dips:
Bw x 25
Bw + 45 x 15
Bw + 90 x 12
Bw + 135 x 4 (That sucked, I got tunnel vision it was so heavy LOL)
Bw + 45 x 10

One arm DB preacher:
25X10
30X10
35X10
40X8

Decline close grip on smith
135 X 20
225 X 12
275 X 12
315 X 5 (CASHED)
225 x 10

Incline seated hammer curl:
40's
50's,
60's
65's all sets taken to 10+ reps

V grip push down (7 sets, 30 sec rest)

One arm cable concentrations (4 sets, 30 sec rest....SLOOOOOW)

15 mins tread

On a side note, damn that whirlpool and stretching helped last night. I feel like a new person today http://www.intensemuscle.com/images/smilies/smile.gif