PDA

View Full Version : My Journey, My Story

Sarah Thielen
01-26-2012, 02:39 AM
I must start off and say this is my first time using a forum and a training journal; I'm a little excited to say the least! Before I jump into my training journal, I would like to give you a little background on me.

I am a small town Montana girl that left everything that was familiar to move to Southern CA to follow my dreams to compete (in figure), inspire and motivate others, lead by example, and tell my story. I competed in 2010, getting 2 1st place placings and 2 overall placings, and also had an appearance at the USA's for hopes of a pro card. I wanted to compete in 2011, but had many health issues that I had to battle through first. I am on track and excited to compete in 2012!

With that said, I am currently 13 weeks out and trying to make every second count in the gym and the kitchen. Like I mentioned earlier, I took a year off due to an illness. I wanted to compete and tried to contest prep, but my body had enough. With that said I gained a ton of weight and now have a crazy workout schedule because of it. I currently do 60 min. of fasting cardio (7days/wk), followed by an afternoon workout with weights (3-on, 1-off, 2-on, 1-off), and another 60 min. of cardio (7days/wk). On my “off” lifting days I incorporate high intensity training with weights to keep things fresh instead of my 2nd cardio session.

Today I cranked out a back workout. It's usually my favorite day, but I feel like it was a little lacking. I'd love some pointers, tips, etc. on killer back and shoulder workouts. What are your thoughts?
:yep:

GirlyMuscle
01-26-2012, 08:22 AM
Welcome to RXmuscle!

Can't wait to see pictures! *wink*

The Prodigy
01-26-2012, 08:31 AM
Yahoo! Welcome aboard lady!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So excited you are here!

Sarah Thielen
02-01-2012, 05:27 PM
Don't you love the days when you love being in the gym? Today is that day for me! Although it's my "off" weights day I am heading back (did a.m. cardio) to go kill it with my high intensity workout. I'm thinking I will throw some Kettle Bells around, do mountain climbers, burpies, pushups, pullups etc. I love my HIT days. They break up the monotony of the week and give me a feeling of accomplishment. Only a few weeks left before I get on the stage ~ I have to make every day, rep, and meal count. I figure if I can wake up tomorrow in a better state than today, I'm on my way! Train hard today everyone.

~ No excuses, just RESULTS! ~

The Prodigy
02-02-2012, 11:58 AM
I need some motivational tips on how to keep going when I am SOOO tired at 4:00 everyday and hit that brick wall and don't want to drag myself to the gym! I am glad you are motivated still!

Sarah Thielen
02-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Off to the gym for a shoulder workout. Grow shoulders, grow; shrink butt shrink! (I believe in the power of words :yep:)

Does anyone have a shoulder exercises that they love? I'm in need of changing things up a bit! I am not eating enough carbs right now to feel that crazy pump we all crave. However, I want to leave the gym today knowing that I did my job. Love to hear what you all think!

Train hard today!

Sunnyday
02-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Welcome, Sarah! Glad to have you here. :)

The Prodigy
02-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Thank you for your words! They mean the world to me. I hope this year is all I have dreamed of, but I know it won't be easy! Sometimes I do better overwhelmed with a full plate than I do traveling along content. Contentment leads to bored and fat me!

carrierapp
02-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Hello and welcome, Sarah! How about these? Overhead press, Arnold press, lateral raises with a low set cable, and reverse flys. :D They are all exercises that I incorporate or rotate in to my shoulder training. :D I know this may come after the fact(I think you mentioned shoulder day being yesterday for you) but maybe something to consider in one of your future workouts? Keep up the good work, lady! Stay strong and train smart! Your about 12 weeks out now, aren't ya? :D

Off to the gym for a shoulder workout. Grow shoulders, grow; shrink butt shrink! (I believe in the power of words :yep:)

Does anyone have a shoulder exercises that they love? I'm in need of changing things up a bit! I am not eating enough carbs right now to feel that crazy pump we all crave. However, I want to leave the gym today knowing that I did my job. Love to hear what you all think!

Train hard today!

Sarah Thielen
02-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Hello and welcome, Sarah! How about these? Overhead press, Arnold press, lateral raises with a low set cable, and reverse flys. :D They are all exercises that I incorporate or rotate in to my shoulder training. :D I know this may come after the fact(I think you mentioned shoulder day being yesterday for you) but maybe something to consider in one of your future workouts? Keep up the good work, lady! Stay strong and train smart! Your about 12 weeks out now, aren't ya? :D

I love your ideas! Thank you, definitely going to incorporate some of those next week!

Sarah Thielen
02-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Yay it's Saturday!! You know what that means? Date night with my man and a cheat meal; both of which saves my butt during contest prep! As you all know, contest prep often pulls us away from our loved ones. With that said, we set aside a few hours on a Saturday to do something fun together, no phones, no distractions! It's something we both look forward to and it gives us the chance to reconnect. For those of you that have kids, it's a great way to have some one on one time with them too.

Before I can relax tonight, I have to go kill it in the gym. Today is arm day! I generally super-set on arm day; it's the only way I can get a pump in my arms. We are also going to shoot some video. Being 10 weeks out, I want to start keeping track of my progress and also share my story with all of you. I heard an inspiring quote today ~ "I was given a story. Not to put it on a shelf, but to share it so that others may be inspired and motivated!" Train hard today, stay focused, and make every day count!

Thanks for all of the encouraging words and thoughts! You guys ROCK!:excited:

Sarah Thielen
02-05-2012, 03:52 PM
I'm thinking I over-did the cheat meal...not feeling too fantastic today. Hopefully an old fashioned ass kicking workout will turn things around. I'm heading to the gym for a high intensity workout....might need a pre-workout drink to bring on the inspiration. Nonetheless, I have to make today count!

Sarah Thielen
02-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Today it was back to my high intensity workout; only 10 weeks out and I have to make the best of every workout! I started with a giant set of kettle bell swings, squat curls, and plank rows; I wanted to focus a little bit more on my back today. After a few more giant sets I finished the day with burpies.

With all that great momentum I had last week I am definitely slowing down. Although this feeling isn't ideal, I'm welcoming it! When I feel this way, it's a reminder of how much I love this sport, it forces me to dive in deeper mentally and physically, and I push past my walls. ~Give 100% today, even if today's 100% isn't the same as yesterday. Go to bed knowing you did everything you could to reach your goals! Train hard today!

Sunnyday
02-08-2012, 09:31 PM
Yay for 10 weeks out! Woo hoo! When I get to that point, my mantra is, "don't get injured!" ;)

The Prodigy
02-08-2012, 10:50 PM
http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-articles/athlete-profiles/4998-spotlight-on-npc-figure-competitor-sarah-thielen.html

Bronwyn
02-09-2012, 03:38 AM
Congrats. Looking great on pics from competitions!

Sarah Thielen
02-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Hitting shoulders today and excited to change it up a bit thanks to the fantastic advice! I love the look of big beautiful shoulders, so today I'm going heavy. I started out power lifting. With that said, at this point in the game I'm not as strong as I would like to be (thanks to dieting); and keeping my ego in check is a must in order to be injury free. I don't have a set in stone training plan today. I just want to go in, kill my shoulders, and leave exhausted!

Motivational thought for today~ The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible!

Train hard today

:heythere:

Sunnyday
02-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Nice article, and your pics are awesome! Excited to see what you bring to the stage this season!

Sarah Thielen
02-12-2012, 03:23 PM
It's been a long week to say the least. With contest dieting, you tend to have ups and downs (sometimes unexplainable), this week has been my "low" week. After a little disappointment of not having the scale move much in the last few weeks, I am feeling the pressures of being ready by show time. I know this is the time that I have to dig deep and make every second count.
Today, I am going in for a high intensity workout with weights. Although I never have a set in stone workout on these days, I will give you a general rundown of my workout. I structure my HIT workouts with 3 giant sets of 3 exercises each, only resting 2 minutes between each giant set. I want to place some emphasis on my legs today, I need these babies to shrink. With that said, I am going to do some kettle bell swings, tire flips, squat jumps, mountain climbers, etc. I will follow my workout with an hour of cardio, usually elliptical work and sprints.

Words of Motivation for today ~ "If you find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere." Train hard today!

Sunnyday
02-12-2012, 03:37 PM
9 weeks out now, right? So excited for ya. I got a whopping 35 weeks and I am chomping at the bit already!