PDA

View Full Version : Gym in Philly?

Clark Kent
04-08-2009, 09:28 PM
I'm moving from Maine down to the outskirts of Philly, specifically Glenside. Anyone know of a bodybuilding gym around Glenside. A place that doesn't frown on someone who mixes in some power moves and might rattle some weights. Preferably a 24 hour place.

Mods, please move if the beginners forums is not the most appropriate place.

kraken
04-08-2009, 09:38 PM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=gyms+in+glenside%2C+pa

The only gym I know that is close to what you are looking for is The Aquatic and Fitness Center. Don't be fooled by the name.

Clark Kent
04-08-2009, 10:03 PM
I was bouncing around google maps, but nothing really stood out for a gym. Guess I'll add Aquatic to the try out list, thanks.

Bdcurls
04-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Im from Philly .... like 20 minutes from Glenside in Northeast philly...
theres a gym on route 1 called
World Gym... they got allot of old school equipment n steel plates. 100 lb plates n ther 24 hour until the weekend... i train ther once in awhile wit my friend when im goin for maxes
Theres an LA fitness not to much further from ther .. say 15 minutes... thats open till
12 until the weekend.
Theres Greg LOngs//.. not sure if thats there anymore.....
Iron Sport .. which would be a hike for ya but its a strongman training gym in Prospect Park by the International Airport
PowerHouse at Rising Sun and knorr
Retro Fitness... Place Sucks
Ballys at quite a few spots. one at Franklin Mills Mall right off of woodhaven road
the aqauatic club is alright... theres allot of talkin thats goes on ther. but thats on Grant Ave by Frankford

kraken
04-08-2009, 11:28 PM
I have heard the World's on RT 1 is pretty good.

Clark Kent
04-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Thanks Bdcurls, great info!

KEVDIESEL
04-09-2009, 08:48 AM
definately WORLDS gym 24 hours at haldeman and the boulevard
POWERHOUSE at rising su and knorr is pretty hardcore

Clark Kent
04-09-2009, 09:52 AM
I have heard the World's on RT 1 is pretty good.

I'm finding several bad reviews online, mostly with the owner?

Clark Kent
04-09-2009, 09:58 AM
POWERHOUSE at rising su and knorr is pretty hardcore

Thanks, I'll add powerhouse to the list. It's only 7 miles from the house.

Bdcurls
04-12-2009, 10:37 PM
yea... the owner of world is a pain in the ace

Clark Kent
04-13-2009, 11:19 PM
yea... the owner of world is a pain in the ace

They're pretty extensive write ups about the owner and/or night manager online. I'll still give the place a look, but it's already got a negative...

SUMO
04-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Why would anyone want to move from Maine? lol

Clark Kent
04-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Yeah I know, a guy has to be nuts to want and leave Maine. It will be nice to come back and maybe if you wanted to raise kids, *insert more generic statements*.

The state is horrible at taxing the piss out of industry and driving it away. With a tiny state population of just over 1million, it would make more since to promote industry balance out some of the taxes... The career field is very limited for my wife and I, so we've decided to move on.

Clark Kent
04-22-2009, 09:41 AM
I finally moved during the weekend. Right now, I'm checking out the gyms on this list one per day. I took the weekend off for packing/moving and to get a little rest after pushing a hard training split prior to the weekend.

Yesterday, I went to an LA Fitness. It's like any other LA Fitness you might run into across the country. Great place, very nice facilities, and the equipment is great. I love the Hammer Machines. On occasion I like to cycle in Hammer's simulated dumbbell movement. However, I'm not sure if this is the place for me. Very disappointed that the dumbbells only go up to 125 lbs.

For kicks, I'm going to try out a Bally's today since they have a free 7 day pass and it's only a mile from my place. Willing to bet I'll run into the same thing for dumbbells, but todays a leg day so can't go wrong there.

Clark Kent
04-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Ballys was ok, cheap but the dumbbells only to to 100lbs. Could get crowded in there real quick. They also have hammer machines.

Powerhouse is what I'm use to. Some old equipment, some new equipment, smells like a gym, but the dumbbells only go to 120. But they too have hammer machines.

I'll try out the aquatic tomorrow and then maybe Worlds over the weekend.

Unless worlds gym comes through, looks like I might be screwed on dumbbells. And I was complaining about only being able to go to 140's back in Maine...

phillymuscle
07-15-2009, 10:35 AM
I've pretty much been to every gym in Philly. My experience with ballys and retro is that they are pretty much over crowded and you always have to deal with people with poor gym edicate. Worlds is a great gym BUT the owner bob is the biggest dickhead and hates bodybuilders and anyone that slams weight. He's constanly rubbing bbers the wrong way. He will go out of his way to say something sarcastic about you letting the weights drop. I've heard, but never been to, powerhouse gym. Heard that it was pretty hardcore. But might be a tad far from where you live. I've also heard good things about the aquatic center. The best was Golds. Shame they shut it down

Package
07-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Theres Greg LOngs//.. not sure if thats there anymore.....
they are still there