PDA

View Full Version : What’s your sport? It could be an answer that helps get you back to health.

Dr. Joel Nathan
04-08-2009, 11:13 PM
As an addiction med doc who has been detoxing people for 20+ years, I have found one question very central to why certain people are more prone to addiction.

I ask all my patients, “What sport do you play now or did you play when you were in school.” Almost to a man (or woman) they did indeed excel at a sport. In later life they can also become business jocks, traveling constantly, wheeling and dealing, working with millions of dollars and taking risks that sometime lead to longer-term gain. The structure and discipline of sports keeps people focused on a healthy life style.

So why’s this important? It’s because when a jock feels his endorphins, they feel better than the average Joe and when they use drugs, they feel much better than the average Joe. Many jocks get into careers that are physical in nature or have risk takng (iron workers, movers, sheet metal workers ( the most fun loving guys, I've me), firemen, police officers., for example.)

What's your experience in this aspect of your life?

Should this fit your description, you need exercise as part of your life to substitute for your drug of choice. Making lifestyle changes will be more easily done if you have the structure and determination that an athlete has.

I don’t know yet if people into certain sports are more susceptible to addiction issues than others.

What’s your sport? It could be an answer that helps get you back to your old self.

Regards,
Joel

sassy69
04-09-2009, 02:39 PM
The discipline required to live the bodybuilding lifestyle keeps me in line and out of trouble. It's actually a good fit for my compulsive personality.

Me too!

I've explored other sports because the whole BB thing can get very isolating sometimes, especially on a beautiful summer day when you really shouldn't spend it in the weight room. The problem w/ other stuff, is I'm so worried I'm going to jack something that would impact my ability to train. E.g.

- tennis -> guaranteed tendonitis & probably shinsplints
- biking -> worry about jacking my shoulders if hit a pothole
- running -> shinsplints
- hiking -> shinsplints, ankles, lower back

If I had a warm ocean nearby, I would, however be out (scuba) diving again every day. But only boat dives- no beach dives. Probably screw up my lower back hauling tanks.