PDA

View Full Version : Cross Training

Gaoshang Xiongshou
02-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Does your bodybuilding stem from a previous athletic endeavor, or has it helped to move you into another alongside it?

GirlyMuscle
02-12-2009, 11:40 AM
I have never been athletic. Never played a sport. Not interested in sports either. I thought about running (as in races) but it seems like too much work. I only run if I'm being chased.

sassy69
02-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Nope. I ran track & played B-ball in Jr High but have been plagued by shinsplints ever since circa 1977. The lifting is all me, for me, all about me, and for no other reason than its me. I would venture that it provided me a very good base for very strong SCUBA diving skills considering I used to work as a dive master on charter boats. Ever have to pull a 300 lb wet guy up on a dive platform? I've also had to unhook a descent line from a wreck at 130 ft in a 3 knot current. Otherwise, the lifting has only turned into bodybuilding as a direction to challenge myself even further.

Valkyrie
02-12-2009, 04:26 PM
It doesn't stem from a previous endeavor.

I was always athletic although I had no interest in team sports. As a youth I was involved in riflery and archery. I was an avid horsewoman, hiker/backpacker, cyclist, swimmer, canoe/kayaker, I was a certified life guard...I even had a skateboard as a teen. ;)

I loved physical exertion and as I noted in an earlier post lifting was a way to fill the void when I gave up a lot of my youthful pursuits to raise my family.

Now my lifting has cross benefits in my martial arts training and my backpacking. My performance on the trail and in the kwoon can and often is directly related to how well I train in the gym.

Case in point: My hips were 'stiff' a couple years back and having to jump down off rock outcroppings and ledges with a loaded backpack on was causing me to have some trouble with balance and stability on the trail. I researched some lifts that would strengthen my hips and put myself on a routine throughout the winter that was designed to improve my trail performance. The next spring my stability and balance on the trail was greatly improved.

So when I'm having trouble with my backpacking or my martial arts...I immediately evaluate my lifts and search out lifts that can help me improve my performance on the trail and in the kwoon.

Gunz
02-15-2009, 07:58 AM
I have always been involved in some type of athletic endeavor....running, biking, volleyball, hiking, skiing, diving.....I can't imagine not having some type of outlet

Gunz
02-15-2009, 08:00 AM
Nope. I ran track & played B-ball in Jr High but have been plagued by shinsplints ever since circa 1977. The lifting is all me, for me, all about me, and for no other reason than its me. I would venture that it provided me a very good base for very strong SCUBA diving skills considering I used to work as a dive master on charter boats. Ever have to pull a 300 lb wet guy up on a dive platform? I've also had to unhook a descent line from a wreck at 130 ft in a 3 knot current. Otherwise, the lifting has only turned into bodybuilding as a direction to challenge myself even further.

Wow. What part of the world were you a dive master? I love scuba....except I live on the prairie and don't get to dive as often as I would like.