PDA

View Full Version : Valkyrie's journal...training and wandering musings.

Pages : [1] 2

Valkyrie
02-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Aight. I tossed about should I...shouldn't I? Decided what the heck. What's another journal? :)

So I'm settin' up my 'spot'. :D

I'm out of the gym and kwoon right now. Family duties have taken up the past 12+ weeks of my life, in particular the last 4 weeks have been hellish. Hopefully I'll return to training soon.

Many of you know that I have fibromyalgia, Hashimoto's, and work around nerve damage from a run-in with Lyme disease. I do what the doctors told me I probably could not do...and often what they tell me I should not do. ;)

In my journal you'll find my training notes from the gym. My thoughts from my training in the kwoon, and often my trail logs. I lift to support my training in the kwoon and on the trail and because I fell in love with the iron as a teen and have never gotten over that love.

I started lifting when I was 17. Been at it most of my life with downtime for pregnancies, a few short breaks due to raising a busy family, and then three surgeries that were rather close together. The longest I was ever required by doctors orders not to train was a span of about 4 years in my late 30's and early 40's.

I don't mind and in fact love visitors to my journal. Have questions, ask away. My training can and does often look a bit different from what most people do as I have to work around my limitations. But with the help of some observant friends I've found a way around most of them. :cool:

So...without further ado...welcome to my journal.

~Val

Valkyrie
02-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Wednesday cardio: 3+ hours - snowshoeing at the local state forest.

robert da strongman
02-12-2009, 11:53 AM
awesome!!

nice to have ya here

GirlyMuscle
02-12-2009, 11:54 AM
It's about time, chicka!

Valkyrie
02-12-2009, 11:58 AM
I'm...ummm...pokey due to my age??? Yeah, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :D Hehee.

I have a couple goals for this year:
200+ on hex-deads, rack pulls and squats.

Last years best were:
Squats - 195
Hex-deads - 165
Rack pulls - 185

GirlyMuscle
02-12-2009, 11:59 AM
And I assume you achieved those goals?

You'll blow these away in 6 months.

robert da strongman
02-12-2009, 12:00 PM
well that will be fun to watch here.

Valkyrie
02-12-2009, 12:09 PM
And I assume you achieved those goals?

You'll blow these away in 6 months.
I'm hoping to get 225 on my rack pulls shortly (end of March). I was pulling heavy while at the Belleville "Y". But have had to take a longer-than-planned break. So I have to work back up. No hex at the "Y" and I kept my squats to light working 20 rep sets...so I'll need a couple months to 'get back up' on those.

well that will be fun to watch here.
Hehee...I'm always fun to watch ;). No one expects the quiet little gray-streaked 'grannie' to pull or squat more than her body weight! LOL!

It will be sooooo good to get back to my gym where they are used to me. The staring at the "Y" was getting ridiculous! You would think they never saw an older woman lift heavy before! :p

Valkyrie
02-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Oh hey...that reminds me. I'm 47 and I'm a Me'me' (grandmother) of two absolutely darling little girls.

robert da strongman
02-12-2009, 12:12 PM
you have to get video of those lifts!

Valkyrie
02-12-2009, 12:18 PM
You mean I have to be nice to someone in the gym so they'll help me??? :p

Most of them are afraid to approach me!!! LOL! :eek:

Aight...I'll see what I can do. ;)

You guys really want to see a gray-streaked grannie that dresses all in black? It's not that impressive...trust me on that! :D

Kelly Baker
02-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Just catching up. I'm too lazy to start another journal though! lol

robert da strongman
02-12-2009, 04:44 PM
You mean I have to be nice to someone in the gym so they'll help me??? :p

Most of them are afraid to approach me!!! LOL! :eek:

Aight...I'll see what I can do. ;)

You guys really want to see a gray-streaked grannie that dresses all in black? It's not that impressive...trust me on that! :D

but the grey streaked grannie lifting some impressive weights that what we want to see.

robert da strongman
02-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Just catching up. I'm too lazy to start another journal though! lol

oh c'mon!!

Kelly Baker
02-12-2009, 04:45 PM
oh c'mon!!

You sir, are a bad influence...

SallyAnne
02-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Wednesday cardio: 3+ hours - snowshoeing at the local state forest.

That's the best kind - you have so much fun that you forget it's cardio.

robert da strongman
02-12-2009, 04:47 PM

my goal is to make deviates out of everyone:D

robert da strongman
02-12-2009, 04:48 PM

when does that happen?

musclegoddess65
02-12-2009, 04:52 PM
following along girlfriend....

Valkyrie
02-12-2009, 04:57 PM
but the grey streaked grannie lifting some impressive weights that what we want to see.
Lmao! With my red, red 'arrrrrrrrggghhhh' face on! Pbbbbt! :p But I will see what I can do when the time comes.

He is...but I'm with him! Good ole 'copy & paste' works great with multiple journals! :D

Absolutely. More of the same tomorrow! Hooyah! *Need a happydance emoticon here*

when does that happen?
The moment you realize you are under gorgeous blue skies and there are no phones with more bad news ringing in the background. I may come home a hurting pup sometimes...but I'm a smilin' hurtin' pup! ;)

following along girlfriend....
Good to see you my dear! :)

Kelly Baker
02-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Lmao! With my red, red 'arrrrrrrrggghhhh' face on! Pbbbbt! :p But I will see what I can do when the time comes.

He is...but I'm with him! Good ole 'copy & paste' works great with multiple journals! :D

Absolutely. More of the same tomorrow! Hooyah! *Need a happydance emoticon here*

The moment you realize you are under gorgeous blue skies and there are no phones with more bad news ringing in the background. I may come home a hurting pup sometimes...but I'm a smilin' hurtin' pup! ;)

Good to see you my dear! :)

Alright...I can't argue with cut and paste...damn. What to call it though...

Valkyrie
02-12-2009, 05:24 PM
We are a tough group to ignore aren't we? :D
I always struggle with 'new' journal titles myself! Sorry...I am not much help!

**blondie**
02-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Hello Hello!!! Just stopping by!

Valkyrie
02-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Hello, hello! Good to have you stop in. :)

Angela123
02-12-2009, 10:39 PM
lookie, lookie...new name on your bad ass self. thanks for starting up a journal over here with us.

Valkyrie
02-13-2009, 01:37 AM
Hehee...MD was the only board I used Natty on...couldn't see keeping that name. ;) You're welcome. I like keeping journals. Some of my best training ideas come from the people that stop in and keep tabs on my training. :)

corrie79
02-13-2009, 06:52 AM
Hey girl! We met over on IWF, they banned me because I got "too" lean, and was considered a liability, well it looks like here I can be as lean as I wanna without getting banned!
So glad to find you set up a journal here, I was enjoying yours over at IWF!
BTW I've put on 3 lbs so I'm not "as" lean as I was when I last posted but who the hell are they to judge a person as being too lean??? When most bbers diet down to 6% or less? I'm probably 12-13% at the least.
Anyway, hope you're doing well and glad I found you!

Valkyrie
02-13-2009, 08:44 AM
Hey Corrie...good to see you. I wondered why you disappeared. You don't look too lean in your avi.

I haven't been over at IWF much lately. Life is a bit of a stand-still right now. We just lost my sister-of-my-heart a week ago yesterday after a year long battle with a rare brain cancer. My father-in-law was hospitalized two days before she passed for emergency surgery due to a brain hemorrhage and his condition is deteriorating. So my time on the boards has been very limited and I haven't been in the gym since my return from eight weeks with my sons family in Illinois a couple weeks ago or to the kwoon since I left in November. (I even missed my next sash level test. :( ).

On a brighter note...I'm off to the Quabbin today for a couple hours to get some more snowshoeing in with Gypsy. Should be interesting after three days of melt-off and an overnight chill. We'll be trekking across some serious hard-pack and probably some of the ice the melt-off uncovered.

corrie79
02-13-2009, 08:49 AM
Hey Corrie...good to see you. I wondered why you disappeared. You don't look too lean in your avi.

I haven't been over at IWF much lately. Life is a bit of a stand-still right now. We just lost my sister-of-my-heart a week ago yesterday after a year long battle with a rare brain cancer. My father-in-law was hospitalized two days before she passed for emergency surgery due to a brain hemorrhage and his condition is deteriorating. So my time on the boards has been very limited and I haven't been in the gym since my return from eight weeks with my sons family in Illinois a couple weeks ago or to the kwoon since I left in November. (I even missed my next sash level test. :( ).

On a brighter note...I'm off to the Quabbin today for a couple hours to get some more snowshoeing in with Gypsy. Should be interesting after three days of melt-off and an overnight chill. We'll be trekking across some serious hard-pack and probably some of the ice the melt-off uncovered.
I'm sooooo sorry you're going through this tough time. You poor dear. There are no words, truly. Don't worry about the gym, it will be there when you return. That's the good thing about gyms, they usually stick around.
Have a GREAT time snowshoeing. Get your mind off things. Hugs!

Valkyrie
02-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Thank you Corrie. Agreed. The gym is one of the 'constants' in my life. I've only been out a month or so. In the grand scheme of my life...that is a mere ripple in the pond. I've just been too emotionally wrung out to go in. A bit worried I'll do something foolish and forget a collar or secure a safety latch on a press or some-such-thing. Better to go back when my brain is clearer and my emotions more stable.

The snowshoeing definitely works to clear my mind...and at least I'm keeping some of my trail conditioning up too. ;)

GirlyMuscle
02-13-2009, 09:00 AM
Sorry to hear about your sister of your heart. Wasn't she your sister in law?

You'll get back to regular training soon enough. It will be there when the time is right.

{{{hugs}}}

musclegoddess65
02-13-2009, 09:00 AM
Big HUGS to you my dear... and lots of healing thoughts and prayers.

Valkyrie
02-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Sorry to hear about your sister of your heart. Wasn't she your sister in law?

You'll get back to regular training soon enough. It will be there when the time is right.

{{{hugs}}}
Yes, she was...but we were so close that I could never call her 'in-law'...especially because her parents were over-bearing terrors in my life for years. I never had a sister, but Jan was like having a wise older sister that watches out for you and protects you from your parents when you make decisions they are not happy with even if they were not 'bad' decisions. She and her husband Micky defended me faithfully and never judged me. They were there for me and the kids when the rest of her family turned their back on us.

Big HUGS to you my dear... and lots of healing thoughts and prayers.
Thank you. The past couple of days I'm starting to 'function' a bit better. The anguish over losing Jan was about the worst I have ever endured. But Jan wouldn't have wanted me to mope around and stop living. She loved life and enjoyed as much of it as she could before the cancer made her housebound.

Jan loved to travel. She was her families 'wanderer'...and the only person in her family that understood my wanderlust and joy of travel. Be it on foot through the woodlands, in my truck across the state or country, or by any other means. She never judged me and she was my biggest supporter when the rest of her family took me to task for something that comes naturally to my family. (The wanderlust: my brothers, sons, dad, and daughter all have it too.)

Anyhow, when I was in Illinois Chella and I went to a couple places that Jan would have loved and will never get the chance to visit. I broke down a bit over that...and I find that when I'm somewhere she would have appreciated I tear up pretty quickly.

GirlyMuscle
02-13-2009, 09:21 AM
She can go anywhere she wants now and she'll always be with you.

So does this mean you get to move on with your life now? You know what I mean...

Valkyrie
02-13-2009, 09:42 AM
She can go anywhere she wants now and she'll always be with you.

So does this mean you get to move on with your life now? You know what I mean...
I keep telling myself that.

Yes, I still have to sort out some health issues. My kidney tests keep coming back skewed. And I have more 'sorting' out to do. I'm hoping by the end of this coming summer I can make my break.

Kelly Baker
02-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Sorry to hear about the kidney test results. I sure hope you can make your break by the end of summer!

~gymdiva~
02-13-2009, 01:50 PM
hey wanderer ;)

Valkyrie
02-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Hello Diva dear! How're you feeling? Better I hope! :)

Oh boyz! I had so much fun snowshoeing today! We saw a gorgeous coyote, two bald eagles and a turkey vulture and a ton of deer and turkey sign. It was so chilly and windy though! :eek:

I am rather tired out. I'll type up my hike log tonight and resize some pics. We tried to get pictures of the eagles...but we were too far away. And the coyote shot through the underbrush like quicksilver so there was no way to get a good picture of him. :(

Valkyrie
02-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Sorry to hear about the kidney test results. I sure hope you can make your break by the end of summer!
They've come back 'off' a couple times now. They only let me wait 4 weeks between tests this time. It's getting frustrating to say the least.

I have more packing and sorting to do. I won't just walk out after the sig-other has lost his sis. Especially since I'm pretty sure we are going to lose his dad shortly too. That would just be cruel.

I'm giving myself time to get my testing sorted and more of my packing done. I figure why rush things at this point. Stress would only make whatever is off with my kidney's worse I'm sure and I need some answers health-wise before I go off on my own. I need to know what I'm facing.

Valkyrie
02-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Sunday PM cardio: 60 minutes - elliptical - weighted vest/18 pounds

Emotionally...I'm feeling 'stronger' today. All day long "I will not live an unlived life..." kept drifting through my mind. Jan in particular would not want me to stop living the live I love because she is no longer with me. I think the shock and anguish are finally wearing down a bit.

Kelly Baker
02-16-2009, 09:09 AM
Glad you're feeling better emotionally. This is a difficult time for you, but I think that you're right that Jan wouldn't want you to be in mourning forever. Hope that you continue to heal knowing that she's still with you. Thoughts and prayers your way.

robert da strongman
02-16-2009, 12:31 PM
nice cardio!

croatians have a toast....zhivile....means live!!

**blondie**
02-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Sunday PM cardio: 60 minutes - elliptical - weighted vest/18 pounds

Emotionally...I'm feeling 'stronger' today. All day long "I will not live an unlived life..." kept drifting through my mind. Jan in particular would not want me to stop living the live I love because she is no longer with me. I think the shock and anguish are finally wearing down a bit.

Great job on the cardio & so sorry 2 hear you are going through a tough time. I will keep you in my thoughts...

musclegoddess65
02-16-2009, 01:15 PM
you have had a lot of turmoil and stress going on, not to mention all the other issues you deal with personally - yet you never give up or give in - oh sure your human and have your moments, but you don't wallow in them.

You truely are a ROCK! and if I ever hear anyone moaning I'm going to send them to read your postings....myself included :)

~gymdiva~
02-16-2009, 01:31 PM
you know, I've always wanted to do the stepmill with a weighted vest...where did you get your's?

and I'm ok...nothing much has changed on the cycle front but feb was less than previous months so I wonder if it's evening itself out now...I just never do anything "normal" ;)

Valkyrie
02-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Glad you're feeling better emotionally. This is a difficult time for you, but I think that you're right that Jan wouldn't want you to be in mourning forever. Hope that you continue to heal knowing that she's still with you. Thoughts and prayers your way.
Thank you Kelly. Today my sky was blue...meaning I really looked at it. And I saw two light-phase hawks on the way home from the gym. Not one, but two sightings of my totem. How cool was that?!

nice cardio!

croatians have a toast....zhivile....means live!!
Thank you. It was a bit brutal towards the end! But I kept telling myself, "Trail conditioning...trail conditioning...trail conditioning..." Hehee That always pulls me through.
*Raises my Muscle Milk shake...great toast!

Great job on the cardio & so sorry 2 hear you are going through a tough time. I will keep you in my thoughts...
Thank you Blondie. Much appreciated.

you have had a lot of turmoil and stress going on, not to mention all the other issues you deal with personally - yet you never give up or give in - oh sure your human and have your moments, but you don't wallow in them.

You truely are a ROCK! and if I ever hear anyone moaning I'm going to send them to read your postings....myself included :)
Thanks MG. I had a lady stop to visit with me today at the gym. She's been feeling like giving up. (Lot's of health issues, but she's there 5 days a week.) I told her, "dont you dare!" She remembered that I have fibromyalgia and said to me, "You always are smiling, don't you hurt?" I told her that yes, I always hurt, but it gets worse if I don't train...so I just press on and don't really think about the pain. We chatted for a bit longer and she went away resolved to keep coming back in spite of her health struggles. She was glad she ran into me today (we were both later than normal) I'm always happy when I can inspire someone to keep going.

you know, I've always wanted to do the stepmill with a weighted vest...where did you get your's?

and I'm ok...nothing much has changed on the cycle front but feb was less than previous months so I wonder if it's evening itself out now...I just never do anything "normal" ;)
I picked one up at Wal-Mart, but I'm not completely happy with it. It only goes to 20 pounds and I need to go up to at least 35-40 pounds. Plus I cannot pull it in much tighter, so if I lean out more as I'm hoping I will I may have trouble with it flopping around a bit. So I'm looking at one of these: MIR weighted vest (http://www.mirweightedvest.com/weightedvest_proslim.asp?id=mvproslim_40) for women.

I never did anything 'normal' either. Glad to hear things may be evening out.

robert da strongman
02-16-2009, 04:07 PM
even though i am not croatian i want that as a tat...

Valkyrie
02-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Week 1 Back - Legs (day 1) - abs
Went a bit light on everything since I've been out of training for 4 weeks.

Back
One arm DB rows
3s x 8r x 50/55/60#

Seated cable row - wide grip/palms facing
2s x 12r x 60/70#

Wide-grip Lat PDs
2s x 15r/12r x pin @4/@ 5

T-bar rows *While waiting for close-grip handle
2s x 12r x 25#
Set 1 - narrow grip palms facing/Set 2 - med. grip palms facing

Close-grip Lat PDs
2s x 12r x pin @ 3/@ 4

Pull-throughs
2s x 12r x pin @ 8 heavy/@ 10 heavy

Hypers
1s x 20r x BW

Abs
Dip station leg raises
3s x 15r x BW

Torso Rotation Machine
3s x 15r x 50# (each direction)

Legs/calves - Day 1
45 degree sled*
3s x 8r x 270# - legs
3s x 12r/10r/10r x 270# - calves

Hack sled - facing forward
3s x 8r x 50# high/narrow foot placement
Hack sled - facing the sled
3s x 8r x 50# - narrow/low foot placement

Seated leg press*
3s x 8r - legs/12r - calves x 235#

*When I do the 45 sled or the seated press I alternate: leg/calves through my sets.

Ouchie...I am feeling today's work!

Valkyrie
02-16-2009, 04:08 PM
even though i am not croatian i want that as a tat...
I think that is a wicked cool idea! :cool:

robert da strongman
02-16-2009, 04:10 PM
light?!

ok....

great workout

Valkyrie
02-16-2009, 04:17 PM
LOL! It was light! Honest...in weight at least...added to the back and leg work a bit.

Kelly Baker
02-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Great work in the gym! See! You never know when you might make a difference to someone! 2 hawks...someone is trying to send you a message...:)

musclegoddess65
02-16-2009, 04:37 PM
I'm glad she ran into you today too!

Great training!!

Valkyrie
02-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Great work in the gym! See! You never know when you might make a difference to someone! 2 hawks...someone is trying to send you a message...:)
I was glad I ran into her today of all days.

Yes, That's what I was thinking. I almost got out of the truck to do a happy dance. :D

I'm glad she ran into you today too!

Great training!!
Me too. Thank you.

Valkyrie
02-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Week 1 - Chest/arms - hips
Smith incline press
3s x 8r/6r/4r x 50/55/60#

Incline DB flyes
3s x 12r/12r/10r x 15/20/25#

Pec Dec
2s x 10r x 50#

Cable Cross-overs
1s x 15r x pin@2

Overhead cable curls
3s x 8r x pin @ 4/@ 5/@ 5

Cable preacher curls
2s x 12r x pin @ 3/heavy

Cable EZ-bar curls
2s x 15r x pin @ 2/heavy

Straight-bar Tri press
3s x 8r x pin @ 6 *superset with:
DB kick-backs
3s x 15r x 20#

Alt. Cable pull-downs
2s x 20r/15r x pin @ 2/light

Bench accessory work
Pin-suspended bench
3s x 8r/7r/4r x 35/45/50#

Pin presses
3s x count of 60 x 35/40/45#

Hip accessory work
Hip adductions
3s x 8r x 70#

Hip abductions
3s x 8r x 170#

Cardio 1: Stepmill - 5 minutes - level 8 *Legs not happy!
Cardio 2: Elliptical - 25 minutes *I have martial arts tonight...30 minutes was enough.

robert da strongman
02-17-2009, 05:03 PM
nice training

Valkyrie
02-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Thank you...but I must confess. I was rather irritated with my bench work. I'm really hating bench work lately. I keep telling myself the Hashimoto's cannot be causing that much trouble...but it seems that the moment I take more than a week off I have to really push hard to bring back my bench work in particular. :(

robert da strongman
02-17-2009, 05:52 PM
we all have that. just keep working at it.

Kelly Baker
02-18-2009, 10:08 AM
You'll bring it back. You always do!!! That's why you inspire me so very much!

Valkyrie
02-18-2009, 10:33 AM
we all have that. just keep working at it.

You'll bring it back. You always do!!! That's why you inspire me so very much!
Thank you. I'm working on bringing it back. I made it up to 90 on my bench last year...I still want to get to 100+. I'm determined.

Woohooo! Back to my martial arts class!!! http://www.razorripped.com/images/smilies/sun.gif

MA class: 1 hour 15 min.
It was great to be back. (Although I think my abs beg to differ.)
Great news! The Kwoon has moved to a bigger place! I can move about with ease, and I won't hit walls or ceilings while I'm training. http://razorripped.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
(And hopefully run over the other students less often.)

On top of that I was excited to discover that one of the teens mom decided to join us and tonight was her first night. She's a nice lady and it was great to have her in class with us,

We went through our forms and then worked our backsides off doing kick work. (I loooove kick work.)

Sifu kept us training for an extra 15 minutes on core conditioning at the end of class. I'm sure feel it today!

I got home and couldn't heat up another chicken breast fast enough though! http://www.intensemuscle.com/images/smilies/hungry.gif

Life is good...I'm back in the Kwoon,the gym, and the woods.

*Huge sigh of relief*
Now life feels like it's getting back to normal. http://www.razorripped.com/images/smilies/sun.gif

Kelly Baker
02-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Glad you're back in the Kwoon! I love to read about your MA classes!

Valkyrie
02-18-2009, 10:48 AM
I was soooo happy to be back! :D And I am soooo sore from kick work last night...and today is squat day! *Blush* Ah...the self-brutalization returns...*grin*

robert da strongman
02-18-2009, 12:15 PM
woohoo!! back to the MA

musclegoddess65
02-18-2009, 01:14 PM
nice training and lots of sunshine in your post!!!

Love it

Valkyrie
02-18-2009, 05:30 PM
nice training and lots of sunshine in your post!!!

Love it
Why thank you kindly. :)

I'm paying for the kick drills big time today!

Week 1 - quad/ham
Squats
3s x 12r/8r8r x 95/135/145#

Zerchers - top position
3s x 8r x 115/135/155#

Zerchers - bottom position
3s x 8r x 135#

Romanians
3s x 8r x 115/135/155#

Machine glute kickbacks
3s x 8r x 100#

Seated ham curls/leg extensions - Ham/quad superset:
3s x 8r x 70#
*Toes out position on legs extensions.

Legs. Are. Fried. :eek:

robert da strongman
02-18-2009, 05:33 PM
very nice leg work!

Valkyrie
02-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Thank you! I was happppyyyyyy! I grinned like the Cheshire cat today. Made up for my disappointment yesterday.

Valkyrie
02-18-2009, 10:46 PM
Tonight on a whim I went searching through YouTube to see if any of my forms were there...and I found some!

First form I learned - Sixteen Hands:
d3XFBy7RNEw

First 8 kick drill:
u_bqeYVlvlk

Valkyrie
02-18-2009, 10:48 PM
My third form - Little Open Gate:
eNM3Pk8xSnI

My broadsword form:
qspixmu5PqA

Valkyrie
02-18-2009, 10:55 PM
I could not find my Choy Lay (Li/Lee) Fut drills, but I did find a clip that has elements of my drills and short forms and shows bo-staff work similar to what I've started to work on:
MxpWS6ijSmU
*I have found that my bo-staff work transfers over nicely to my trekking poles. People often ask me if I carry a gun on the trails. I smile and say, "No, just a small buck knife and trekking poles..." :D

It's too bad this clip is a sample as many of the elements of moment in it are similar to the fan form I'm working on:
ZvXqfi9pG00

Kelly Baker
02-19-2009, 10:02 AM
How cool! I really wish I had the time right now to get back to my MA practice. I'll have to live vicariously through you right now!

Valkyrie
02-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Thank you! :D I really missed being in class while I was out of state. I practiced often, but it's just not the same when you take out the interaction with the people you have been training with.

Now...question for you all: Can you picture a 47 year old with fibro doing that stuff???

I was watching those clips and thinking, "Wow, I may be a tad bit slower, but I'm doing it!" :D

Kelly Baker
02-19-2009, 10:20 AM
I can! You're BAD ASS!!!!! :D

Valkyrie
02-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Rofl! :D

Week 1 Shoulders - Rack pulls
Smith Incline press
3s x 8r/8r/7r x 50/55/60#

DB front raise
2s x 15r x 10/12#
*Elbow behaved today. http://razorripped.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Cable front raise
1s x 15r x pin @ 2/light
*Had to rest/pause after 10 each side.

Smith upright rows
3s x 8r/8r/7r x 50/60/70#

DB side raise
2s x 12r x 12/15#

Cable side raise
1s x 15r x pina @ 1/light

Chest to incline rear-delt rows
2s x 12r x 25#

Face pulls
2s x 15r x pin @ 5/heavy

Rack pulls
3s x 8r/8r/7r x 135/155/175#

Pulled one more set for the heckuvit...
1s x 5r x 195# PR http://razorripped.com/images/smilies/sun.gif

Cardio: 30 minutes - elliptical
*MA tonight so 30 minutes was plenty.

Kelly Baker
02-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Really nice work! Looking forward to seeing what you do in MA tonight!

robert da strongman
02-19-2009, 02:52 PM
nice work lady!!

Valkyrie
02-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Really nice work! Looking forward to seeing what you do in MA tonight!
Tonight should be interesting...between those round-house drills and my leg work this week...my quads are sooooooorrrrre! :eek: I am praying we don't do timed horse stance!

nice work lady!!
Thank you. 225# on my horizon! :D

Valkyrie
02-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Never did make it to my Thursday and Friday class. Decided not to fight the ice on Thursday and my immune system pitched a hissy Friday. Spent most of the day sleeping or reading.

Saturday AM cardio: 45 minutes - elliptical - weighted vest/20 pounds.
*Ya know...that thing is a pain-in-the-butt to deal with compared to my pack! :p

Valkyrie
02-22-2009, 09:25 AM
Saturday PM cardio: 45 minutes elliptical - weighted vest/20 pounds.

Valkyrie
02-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Sunday PM cardio 1: 50 minutes - elliptical - weighted vest/20 pounds

PM Cardio 2: Belly dancing - 30 minutes

musclegoddess65
02-22-2009, 10:06 PM
belly dancing??? cool... that sounds like cardio AND fun....

Kelly Baker
02-23-2009, 10:35 AM
One thing I've learned is that there are no end to your talents!!!

Kelly Baker
02-23-2009, 12:32 PM
You have got to go look at GX's Surprise, Surprise thread. I think he made it just for you!

robert da strongman
02-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Sunday PM cardio 1: 50 minutes - elliptical - weighted vest/20 pounds

PM Cardio 2: Belly dancing - 30 minutes

drools....

Valkyrie
02-23-2009, 06:23 PM
belly dancing??? cool... that sounds like cardio AND fun....
Yes, belly dancing! It is and it is! :eek: I didn't feel like putting the vest back on a second time last night. I actually ended up doing another 30 minutes of hip drills after my initial session. My abs are soooore today!

One thing I've learned is that there are no end to your talents!!!
*Giggle* That is what happens when one does not sit still well...:o

You have got to go look at GX's Surprise, Surprise thread. I think he made it just for you!
Will do!

drools....
Yeah, that weighted vest is just so sexxi! ;) *Grin* I know you appreciate belly dancing skillz. :D

Valkyrie
02-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Week 2 Back - Legs (day 1) - abs

Back
One arm DB rows
3s x 8r x 60/65/70#

2s x 12r x 70/80#

Wide-grip Lat PDs
2s x 15r/12r x pin @4/@ 5

Close-grip Lat PDs
2s x 12r x pin @ 3/@ 4

Good Mornings
3s x 8r x 95#

Pull-throughs
2s x 12r x pin @ 10 heavy

Hypers
2s x 10r x 10#

Abs
Dip station leg raises
3s x 15r x BW

Torso Rotation Machine
3s x 15r x 70# (each direction)

Hack sled - facing forward
3s x 8r x 50# high/narrow foot placement
Hack sled - facing the sled
3s x 8r x 50# - narrow/low foot placement

Legs/calves - Day 1
45 degree sled*
3s x 8r x 180/270/270# - legs
3s x 15r x 270# - calves
*Pulled/strained my inner thigh on the right side, up towards the groin on the second set...went easy on the third and opted out of more press work.
Next week I'll do hacks after 45 degree press...I'm suspecting that might have been the problem.

Seated leg press
Not today

No martial arts class tonight. I opted for a last visit with my oldest before he flies out to Northern Italy tomorrow to start his next tour.

Monday PM cardio: 60 minutes - elliptical - weighted vest/20#
*Watched Save The Last Dance...love that movie!

Kelly Baker
02-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History. One of my FAVORITE sayings!

Valkyrie
02-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History. One of my FAVORITE sayings!

Me too! It's my sig over at Iron Trybe! I saw it on a shirt one time with Annie Oakley (At least that is who I believe was on the background! :D)

Valkyrie
02-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Week 2 - Chest/arms - hips
Smith incline press
3s x 5r/6r/6r x 55#

Incline DB flyes
2s x 12r/12r x 20/25#

Pec Dec
2s x 12r x 50#

Cable Cross-overs
1s x 20r x pin@2

DB curls
1s x 8r x 25#
*Was waiting for the cross-over stand and decided to see how my elbow would tolerate the DB-c's. It was not happy.

Overhead cable curls
2s x 8r/8r x pin @ 5/@ 4

Cable preacher curls
3s x 12r/9r/7r pin @ 4/@ 3/@ 3

Cable EZ-bar curls
2s x 15r x pin @ 2/heavy

Straight-bar Tri press
3s x 8r x pin @ 6 *superset with:
DB kick-backs
3s x 15r x 20/25/25#

Alt. Cable pull-downs

Bench accessory work
Pin-suspended bench
3s x 8r/7r/4r x 45/50/55#

Pin presses
3s x count of 60 x 45/50/55#

Hip accessory work
Hip adductions
3s x 8r x 35#
*Owie! That inner thigh muscle was really ticked off with these today. Backed them way down.

Hip abductions
3s x 8r x 170#

robert da strongman
02-24-2009, 02:55 PM
good training!

Kelly Baker
02-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Damn! Nice work!!!

Valkyrie
02-24-2009, 05:36 PM
good training!

Damn! Nice work!!!
Thank you...it's improving! :D

Valkyrie
02-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Tuesday ma class:
No teens or our new adult student. :( After a warm-up of rope work and a run we stretched, I had a helluva time doing butterfly stretches and it was a bit tough to do a decent stretch on the right, splits were a bit painful on the right as well.

On the run...Sifu has a stuffed 'karate' guy that yells "Kia" when it hits something that he tosses to us as we run. We miss the catch we drop and do push ups. I haven't missed yet (and probably just jinxed myself) and that drives the class nuts. I grin and tell them, "sorry guys, three kids equaled always having stuff tossed at me when my attention was less than 100% and I was on the move!"

We focused a good percentage of class on kick work. That was a little tough for my right inner thigh a couple times. I had to keep perfect control and 'stop' the kick part way a lot to prevent irritating that strained muscle.

Moved on to forms work. Only glitch there was that I could not sink into a good horse stance.

We ended the class with Sifu and I teamed against the kids for a game of double dodge-ball. Two balls in use, the room split in half, a team to each side. You get hit you do push-ups.

The kids only managed to hit Sifu and I once each. :D This is Sifu's way of sharpening the kids 'hand-eye' co-ordination. It drives them nuts that they can rarely hit Sifu and I...they are still learning to stay fluid on their feet and use their peripheral vision.

I missed having the teens and our new adult student there tonight. But the pre-teens have relaxed with me in the room and they all use my first name with ease now. That is a big improvement from when they first met me and use to look up and me with glazed eyes to say, "wow, you are almost as tall as Sifu..."

I was concerned that with my long absence that would start again. It hasn't so I was pleased. They all wanted to know if I practiced while I was away. "Yes." I told them, "until I injured my hand and could not hold my fan, then all I could practice was forms."

Smart alecs, they all pretty much answered, "Wow, I never remember to practice when I'm away or on vacation!" I laughed and said, "wait 'til you get older!"

Tuesday (late) PM cardio: 45-60 minutes of belly dance drills.
*Didn't really pay attention to time here.

My CD that I put in when I'm practicing runs for over an hour and I didn't quite drill through the whole CD as I was more focused on getting my hip and chest drills fluid. Hips drills are coming along well. When I pick up the pace/timing on the chest drills I lose the fluidity.

I'm seriously considering getting a weighted hip belt for my hip drills. I don't feel I have enough 'snap' in a couple of my moves and the weighted belt helps you train your hips for the sharp movements.

Also...I've been training almost daily (just keep forgetting to post it) so I just want to mention...OWIE! My abs are feeling all this drill work! While I was doing my core conditioning earlier in my ma class and my abs were on fire!

It's a good thing that abs recover so quickly

Kelly Baker
02-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Wow....I'm tired after reading that! LOL Your workouts sound so much more interesting than mine!

Valkyrie
02-25-2009, 12:55 PM
LOL! They do get interesting...I would probably 'die' on your TRAQ workouts though! :D

robert da strongman
02-25-2009, 03:50 PM
sounds like a fun class

Valkyrie
02-25-2009, 04:42 PM
It was a lot of fun. I always have a blast in class. :)

Week 2 - Legs (Day 2)
Squats
3s x 10r x 95/115/135#

Box squats
3s x 10r/10r/8r x 45/65/85#

Romanians
3s x 10r x 95/115/135#

Machine Glute KB's
3s x 8r x 90#
*Dropped it back a bit today

Quad/ham superset:
Leg extensions
3s x 8r x 70/75/80#
*Toes out position
Seated ham curls
3s x 8r/5r/4r/ x 70/75/75#

robert da strongman
02-25-2009, 04:46 PM
good leg work!

suppose its not hurting so bad?

musclegoddess65
02-25-2009, 05:53 PM
nice training... I've always hated dodgeball though...

Valkyrie
02-25-2009, 07:17 PM
good leg work!

suppose its not hurting so bad?
It's not 100%. I just had to take it easy and pay attention to what I was doing a little more closely than normal.

nice training... I've always hated dodgeball though...
I did at a kid because our gym teacher used these stupid hard-as-a-rock balls. The ones we use are not that hard so they don't sting. The kids like trying to outfox Sifu and I. They look forward to the game.

Valkyrie
02-25-2009, 09:42 PM
Wednesday PM cardio: 60 minutes - elliptical - weighted vest/20#

*And about 30 minutes of Tahitian hip drills.

Kelly Baker
02-26-2009, 10:49 AM
I used to love dodgeball until I got hit. Those damn balls left an awful welt!

Valkyrie
02-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Oh yeah they can!

Week 2 Shoulders - Rack pulls
Smith Incline press
3s x 8r/8r/6r x 50/55/60#

DB front raise
2s x 15r x 12/12#

Cable front raise
1s x 15r x pin @ 2/light
*Had to rest/pause after 10 each side.

Smith upright rows
3s x 8r/8r/7r x 60/70/80#

DB side raise
2s x 15r x 15#

Cable side raise
1s x 20r x pin a @ 1/light
*8 forced reps on the right/10 forced reps on the left.

3s x 8r x 25#

Reverse Pec Dec - for rear delts
2s x 15r x 30#

Face pulls
1s x 20r x pin @ 5/heavy

Rack pulls
2s x 8r x 95#
1s x 5r x 135#
1s x 3r x 185#
1s x 1r x 225# PR! <---Thanks to Widow Maker for his help!

robert da strongman
02-26-2009, 03:39 PM
sweet work on the rack deads!!!

Valkyrie
02-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Thank you. :D I was rather excited. Would have loved one more rep at least...but hey, I broke the 200 mark! *Happy dance*

robert da strongman
02-26-2009, 10:13 PM
you should be ecstatic

Valkyrie
02-27-2009, 09:11 AM
you should be ecstatic
I'm still rather stunned actually!

Missed my ma class last night. http://razorripped.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

Thursday PM cardio:
But I did get my drills in later last night:
30+ minutes of hip drills and chest drills. Chest drills are becoming more fluid again. http://razorripped.com/images/smilies/sun.gif

Also drilled hip work on my knees...and in modified 'lady horse' stance (right and left) for lack of a better explanation. Can we say owie! My legs/hips/abs are feeling it this AM. http://forums.steroid.com/images/smilies/blush.gif

Weapons class tonight! Whoohooo!

Since the trails are a mess...and we are looking at more rain coming in. Gypsy and I are working on my mountain bike today! We have to adjust it to my height and pull the back tire off to replace the inner tube. Pretty darn soon I'll be able to get out on my bike too.

Kelly Baker
02-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Did anybody walk into a door or the wall seeing you pull 225? :D

robert da strongman
02-27-2009, 12:06 PM
enjoy the weapons!

musclegoddess65
02-27-2009, 08:42 PM
a woman with weapons... look out...

Valkyrie
02-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Did anybody walk into a door or the wall seeing you pull 225? :D
The morning crowd had cleared out...only some cardio people were in the back. Not sure anyone noticed. I was trying hard to stay incognito! ;)

enjoy the weapons!
I did!

a woman with weapons... look out...
Oh yeah! I love my weapons!

Hooyah! The bike is ready to go!

After we pulled the inner tube out, took off to buy a new tube and a new pump (since I have no idea where the three I bought the kids over the years went to...) and got the new tube back in and the tire replaced and inflated, and the seat adjusted (Dayum....if my legs were any longer I would need a taller bike!) we had the rest of the afternoon to kill.

So we planned our day for next Friday, The Great Falls Discovery Center (http://www.greatfallsma.org/) and a planned stop at EMS on the way out to the GFDC so that we can look for some bike route maps that they should carry so we don't have to order them online.

Then we spent the rest of the afternoon surfing various websites that detail bike trail info in areas we have been wanting to bike.

Weapons Training:
We spent the first half of class working on our fan form. Ugh...I have so much work to do to get caught up! And I nailed myself repeatedly in the hand with the edge of my fan tonight (Not giving my fan quite enough of an upwards flick)...at one point I remarked to Sifu as he passed by, "Darn good thing this fan does not have pointed edges...I would have impaled my hand about 4 times already..." He laughed.

Moved into knife work. I forgot how 'tall' I am...I haven't been 'taken down' in a long time...and went down over and over tonight. Took me a couple times before I remembered how to kind of 'roll down' gracefully without taking a kid out on the way down! (My long legs again...)

"T" got me good at one point. He went for an evade and remembered at the last moment to add his kick to the knee, but something caught his attention, he shifted and nailed me directly in the side of knee. I saw it coming and 'stood strong', "T" on the other hand was not expecting a hard impact and nearly went over backwards as he 'bounced back' after impacting with my knee...I laughed. The look on his face was priceless. :eek:

We will be picking up with bo-staff work again soon. Hooyah! I love bo-staff work...it transfers over to my trekking poles nicely.

robert da strongman
02-27-2009, 09:13 PM
nice weapons work

Valkyrie
02-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Thank you. As frustrated as I was with my fan work...I had a blast.

Valkyrie
03-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Rested over the weekend. Tummy is not 100% happy with my new supplement, but I am feeling a bit more energized. Was snowed-in on the mountain yesterday...so I'm off kilter this week.

Monday AM cardio: 60 minutes - elliptical - weighted vest/20#

Week 3 Back - abs

Back
One arm DB rows
3s x 8r x 70/75/80#
*Almost back to my pre-injury weight!

2s x 12r x 80/85#

Wide-grip Lat PDs
2s x 12r/12r x pin @4/@ 4.5

Close-grip Lat PDs
2s x 12r x pin @ 4

Good Mornings
3s x 8r x 95#

Pull-throughs
2s x 12r x pin @ 10 heavy

Hypers
2s x 10r x 10#

Abs
Dip station leg raises
3s x 15r x BW

Torso Rotation Machine
3s x 15r x 50# (each direction)
*Decided it was not such a swift idea to go too heavy on these, so I backed it down to 50 again.

No leg work today. My week is all off-kilter with starting a day late. Still have not made up my mind how I want to break things down. BUT...I'm having a bit of tummy trouble with my new herbal/adaptogen blend and that more than anything helped me decide to leave legs for another day. Looks like I'll be adding enteric coated peppermint to my AM routine to help beat this little problem.

robert da strongman
03-03-2009, 06:02 PM
good training

hate when the new stuff bothers the stomach.

skip legs...good to rest them.

Valkyrie
03-03-2009, 08:47 PM
I'm always having trouble with my tummy for one reason or another.

I was thinking of skipping legs...especially since I tend to work them twice in a week.

Thanks...that 'clinches' it. ;)

Kelly Baker
03-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Gotta love those GI problems. It's always fun when you introduce something new then wait to see if the fireworks begin...blegh.

Valkyrie
03-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Gotta love those GI problems. It's always fun when you introduce something new then wait to see if the fireworks begin...blegh.
Exactly! :p

Tuesday MA class: 1 hour - forms* - punch techniques** - grab evades***
*Sixteen Hands, Dragon, and Little Open Gate for me.
**Animal short forms 1 and 2, Choy Lay Fut 1-5 and Hok Downs 1-3 for me.
***Wrist locks/evades for me.

PM cardio: 30+ minutes - Belly dancing hip and upper body drills

Wednesday
Week 3 - Chest/arms
Smith incline press
3s x 8r x 55/55/60#
*Felt much more 'stable' this week. Small, very small improvement, but feeling more stable was important to me.

Incline DB flyes
2s x 12r/10r x 25#

Pec Dec
2s x 12r x 50#

Cable Cross-overs
1s x 20r x pin@2

Superset:
Overhead cable curls
2s x 8r pin @ 4
Cable preacher curls
2s x 12r/9r/7r pin @ 4/@ 3/@ 3
*Missed a set! http://forums.steroid.com/images/smilies/scratch.gif

Cable EZ-bar curls
2s x 20r x pin @ 2/heavy

Superset:
Straight-bar Tri press
3s x 8r x pin @ 7
DB kick-backs
3s x 15r x 25#

Alt. Cable pull-downs

Bench accessory work
Pin-suspended bench
3s x 8r x 45/50/55# + 1s x 8r x 60#
*I was still feeling very stable and managed a 4rth set! http://razorripped.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Pin presses
3s x count of 60 x 45/50/55#

Much happier with this week.

robert da strongman
03-04-2009, 06:26 PM
very nice!

Valkyrie
03-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Thank you. I was much steadier this week with all my bench work. Hopefully this is a continuing trend! :D

robert da strongman
03-04-2009, 06:29 PM
lets hope so!

Valkyrie
03-04-2009, 06:31 PM
AMEN! :D :D :D
I want to get my bench back up to 90...and then push on to 100. Dayum...I'm still mad I slipped back from the 90 mark. :p

robert da strongman
03-04-2009, 06:32 PM
we have ups and downs.
just make it a priority

Valkyrie
03-04-2009, 06:33 PM
It pretty much has been. It's one of those things that irritates me the most about my training. 2 steps forward a half dozen back where my bench work is concerned. Blah!

robert da strongman
03-04-2009, 06:35 PM
well you know you have to deal with a lot more than the normal person. so everything you do is amazing.

Valkyrie
03-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Hehee...I tell myself that, but I used to have such a strong bench...it sucks to have one lift suffer so profoundly compared to my other lifts...the weird part is, I do better with upper body pulling, even with the nerve damage in my hands, than I do with upper body push. You would think it would be the other way around. :p

I've just started a supplement blend that should help counteract the side-effect of the Hashimoto's. (Loss of upper body strength.)

I figure it's worth a try! Especially since the doc says there is nothing more they can do for me. I never take 'that' for an answer very well! I'm determined to beat the prognosis if at all possible! :D

robert da strongman
03-04-2009, 06:54 PM
yeah it is weird.

well good luck with the supps.

Valkyrie
03-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Thank you. :)

musclegoddess65
03-04-2009, 07:37 PM
AMEN! :D
I want to get my bench back up to 90...and then push on to 100. Dayum...I'm still mad I slipped back from the 90 mark. :p

and I thought I was the only one who got pissed when she let her bench drop.... :D

Valkyrie
03-04-2009, 08:40 PM
and I thought I was the only one who got pissed when she let her bench drop.... :D
Nope! Not in the least!

musclegoddess65
03-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Nope! Not in the least!

I've worked mine back to 100, but I want it back up to 125...

but you amaze me with all you deal with and all you give in the gym... another gal I chat with was recently diag. with some of your same conditions and I keep encouraging her to come read your logs!

Valkyrie
03-05-2009, 10:20 AM
I've worked mine back to 100, but I want it back up to 125...

but you amaze me with all you deal with and all you give in the gym... another gal I chat with was recently diag. with some of your same conditions and I keep encouraging her to come read your logs!
I will be sooooo excited if I ever get back to 100#. It's a rather humbling thing to barely bench 60 pounds when you used to easily carry two 50 pound grain sacks, one on each shoulder, with complete ease.

It's been a bit horrifying to be a 'farm girl' that struggles some days to get through jobs and chores that never used to faze me. I have mini-tantrums a lot when I am working around the place and cannot move something I used to lift with ease. :p

Oh that poor thing! I never, ever wish what I cope with on anyone, not even my worst enemy. It's tough stuff to cope with. Last night turned into one of 'those' nights...

Wednesday PM cardio: 60 minutes - elliptical - weighted vest/20#
*Sometimes my cardio is a pain...literally. Last night my left foot went numb sooner than it normally does and then the toes on both my feet started to ache. I kept telling myself, "you can finish in 5 minutes if the pain really starts to drive you nuts." It was...but I kept going and I finished the full session.

Sometimes I wonder why the heck I push myself through all the pain, last night was one of those nights. But today...the sun is out in a brilliant blue sky and I'm going snowshoeing before the rain we're getting tomorrow takes away all the snow we got on Monday and last night's pain is becoming a blurry memory.

Kelly Baker
03-05-2009, 10:43 AM
You push yourself because you will not let anyone or anything stop you from what you want to do and be doing! You are an inspiration to all who know you!

Valkyrie
03-05-2009, 11:43 AM
It's true...last night though, I was really 're-thinking' this whole cardio/exercise/diet thing. But I just finished my lunch and the trail is waiting. And today my feet don't hurt so it's all good. :)

Valkyrie
03-09-2009, 01:32 PM
I did get to my ma class on Thursday and my weapons class on Friday. 1 hour each.

Well...I've been feeling badly...feeling like another round with Lyme Disease was coming on. Not good. I didn't want to go back on antibiotics again so I have opted to try a more natural approach using an herbal remedy that shows some promise in treating Lyme Disease.

But...
"Both anti-spirochete and anti-Babesia treatment will induce the Herxheimer's reaction during the first three weeks of treatment. Herxheimer’s reaction is caused by toxins released by the large number of dead spirochetes eliminated during the initial part of treatment This means that symptoms will worsen temporarily. If the reaction becomes hard to tolerate for the patient, then the amount of herbal intake should be reduced to half or even less to build up tolerance gradually. After the reaction period is over (may last around 3 weeks), the patient will experience gradual and steady improvement."

So I'm feeling not-so-good the past few days. I'm just going easy until the worst of this passes. On a good note. I am feeling a little better in a few minor ways. That is always good.

After resting Thursday - Sunday I was back to the gym today:
Week 4 - Back and Legs (Day 1)

One arm DB rows
3s x 8r x 80/85/90# PR for me!
* Did need to do a slight 'rest/pause' at rep 5 on both sides...so there I was with 90 pounds just kinda hanging there since I didn't dare rest it on the floor! I was afraid I wouldn't get it back up!

Seated rows (Palms facing)
2s x 12r x 85/90#

Wide Grip Lat PDs
2s x 12r x pin @ 4.5/@5

Close Grip Lat PDs
2x 12r x pin @ 4

BB Good mornings
3s x 8r x 95#

Pull-throughs
2s x 12r x pin @ 10/H

Hyper-extensions
2s x 10r x 10#

Cable wood-choppers
3s x 12r x pin @ 4/H

Dip station knee raises
3s x 15r x BW

Torso twist machine
3s x 15r x 50#

Legs Day 1
45 degree press
3s x 8r (legs)/15/13/13r (calves) x 270#

Hack squat sled - conventional - feet high narrow
3s x 8r x 50#

Hack squat sled - facing sled - feet low narrow
3s x 8r x 50/60/70#

*Forgot to do seated leg press!

In spite of everything I've been dealing with physically I felt very stable today.

robert da strongman
03-09-2009, 03:04 PM
good training despite the way you feel.

Kelly Baker
03-09-2009, 03:39 PM
90 lbs....SICK!!! I am bowing down, so low that I can see individual carpet fibers...

Valkyrie
03-09-2009, 07:10 PM
good training despite the way you feel.
Thank you. :cool: I was content with things. That is always good.

90 lbs....SICK!!! I am bowing down, so low that I can see individual carpet fibers...
Hehee...I know it. :D

I'm waiting to hear back. I asked my friend that designed my upper-body program if we could knock off the one-arm rows so I can work on bringing my seated cable rows up. I feel like I'm pre-exhausting my back and grip too much with those rows.

I'm rather pleased with my rows and my rack pulls. Since I hit my goal of 200+ for my rack pulls...I have dropped them from my training for the time being. Let's me focus on other things.

I stunned a guy at the gym today...first he couldn't believe he was seeing a chick haul the 90 across the gym to do one-arm rows (He kept stopping to watch me do my rows.)...but then he managed to catch me using the wrist roller with 10# as well. :o He grinned at me over that one. "Nice little gadget isn't it?" I grinned back, "it certainly is!"

Kelly Baker
03-10-2009, 10:12 AM
I am continuously amazed by you and your abilities. Thank you so much for posting and inspiring me on a day to day basis!

Valkyrie
03-10-2009, 02:34 PM
I am continuously amazed by you and your abilities. Thank you so much for posting and inspiring me on a day to day basis!
:o Thank you...and you inspire me. I love checking your journal to see what form of torture you have inflicted on yourself.

Missed last nights MA training. I just was not feeling well. But I felt much better when I woke this am.

Week 4- Chest/arms - hips
Smith incline press
3s x 8r/8r/4r x 55/60/65#

Incline DB flyes
2s x 12r/12r x 25#

Pec Dec
2s x 12r x 50#

Cable Cross-overs
1s x 20r x pin @ 2.5/H

Overhead cable curls
2s x 8r x pin @ 4

Cable preacher curls
3s x 12r x pin @ 3.5/H

Cable EZ-bar curls
2s x 15r x pin @ 2.5/heavy

Straight-bar Tri press
3s x 8r x pin @ 7/7.5/8 *superset with:
DB kick-backs
3s x 15r x 25#

Alt. Cable pull-downs
2s x 15r x pin @ 2.5/light

Bench accessory work:
Wide Iso Bench
3s x 8r/6r/6rx 50/60/65#
*Just wasn't in the mood to do my usual accessory work and since I have been wanting to try a couple of the plate loaded machines I tried this one today. I was up too early and too far between meals at the gym today since I had my physical this AM.

Hip accessory work:
Hip adductions
3s x 8r x 70/75/75#

Hip abductions
3s x 8r x 170/175/180#

*Well...things are getting interesting health-wise for me. My TSH test from yesterday showed that we need to reduce, yes! REDUCE my Armour Thyroid again! I'm pretty excited as I haven't added a couple things into my thyroid and Lyme protocol yet. (I add things carefully due to allergies.)

Kim is really interested to see how I do with the Lyme Protocol as today I told her that I've become very suspicious it's the Lyme that has been wrecking havoc with me. I also told her I do not want to go on another run of antibiotics for the Lyme as it always wipes me out. (I brought in my latest supplement additions so she could write it down and keep track of what I use along with my prescriptions.)

We discussed some additional testing at my request and I go back for blood work in April. I'm pleased with that as it gives me time to continue adding in the next few things on my list and to see how my body responds before we run the next tests.

As much as I am tired, and fighting with a few good days and then a few bad days...more and more I am starting to feel better. I'm sleeping better and I'm waking up better and I'm getting through most days better. It's been a long haul as this has been bogging me down for over a year now.

Since I always expect whatever I am taking to 'fail' me...this has been a nice change. It's pretty hard to fool my body when it comes to anything natural, herbal or homeopathic.

I've managed my fibromyalgia for years without prescription medications. If I can knock back the problems with/from the Lyme Disease and get my thyroid to function better on its own I'll be very happy.

robert da strongman
03-10-2009, 03:37 PM
good training

well i am guessing that is good for you!

Valkyrie
03-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Thank you. Yes...it means my thyroid may be starting to work on it's own again. This is my second reduction in 2.5 months. :D

robert da strongman
03-10-2009, 05:04 PM
that is cool!

Valkyrie
03-10-2009, 08:47 PM
that is cool!
Very much so! :cool:

MA class: 1 hour
We moved constantly tonight. :D I was very pleased to note that my lower back is behaving better and I did my push-ups with no elbow pain!

Kick drills on the rectangle bags, I ended up doing double what the kids were doing as I was paired with Sifu and they were swapping the bag. Didn't mind in the least as it kept me moving.

Then we moved on to punch technique work with the square hand-held bags. Gotta love Sifu...the momement I lower my guard I get a bag to the head! :eek: He clipped me once. I managed to punch or block each attempted clip after that one. He laughed. Again...double the work for me since I was paired with Sifu.

Then sparring/punch drills. The kids were having a hard time moving and driving back their opponents so I ended up paired with one of the pre-teen black sashes while Sifu worked with the other kids. He in particular loves having me in class...whenever we're paired up I get hit with dozens of questions about my training outside of the kwoon.

Tonight he realized that all my martial training is Chinese. Then he asked me about what other things I do. I told him my mountain bike is fixed now so I'll be riding that and that I weight train, backpack, ride horses, and canoe. "Wow, you really keep busy!" I laughed and told him, "As you get older you need to keep busy."

I was drenched when class was done. Made me happy .

robert da strongman
03-10-2009, 08:59 PM
nice training

IRONURSE
03-10-2009, 10:08 PM
:o Thank you...and you inspire me. I love checking your journal to see what form of torture you have inflicted on yourself.

Missed last nights MA training. I just was not feeling well. But I felt much better when I woke this am.

Week 4- Chest/arms - hips
Smith incline press
3s x 8r/8r/4r x 55/60/65#

Incline DB flyes
2s x 12r/12r x 25#

Pec Dec
2s x 12r x 50#

Cable Cross-overs
1s x 20r x pin @ 2.5/H

Overhead cable curls
2s x 8r x pin @ 4

Cable preacher curls
3s x 12r x pin @ 3.5/H

Cable EZ-bar curls
2s x 15r x pin @ 2.5/heavy

Straight-bar Tri press
3s x 8r x pin @ 7/7.5/8 *superset with:
DB kick-backs
3s x 15r x 25#

Alt. Cable pull-downs
2s x 15r x pin @ 2.5/light

Bench accessory work:
Wide Iso Bench
3s x 8r/6r/6rx 50/60/65#
*Just wasn't in the mood to do my usual accessory work and since I have been wanting to try a couple of the plate loaded machines I tried this one today. I was up too early and too far between meals at the gym today since I had my physical this AM.

Hip accessory work:
Hip adductions
3s x 8r x 70/75/75#

Hip abductions
3s x 8r x 170/175/180#

*Well...things are getting interesting health-wise for me. My TSH test from yesterday showed that we need to reduce, yes! REDUCE my Armour Thyroid again! I'm pretty excited as I haven't added a couple things into my thyroid and Lyme protocol yet. (I add things carefully due to allergies.)

Kim is really interested to see how I do with the Lyme Protocol as today I told her that I've become very suspicious it's the Lyme that has been wrecking havoc with me. I also told her I do not want to go on another run of antibiotics for the Lyme as it always wipes me out. (I brought in my latest supplement additions so she could write it down and keep track of what I use along with my prescriptions.)

We discussed some additional testing at my request and I go back for blood work in April. I'm pleased with that as it gives me time to continue adding in the next few things on my list and to see how my body responds before we run the next tests.

As much as I am tired, and fighting with a few good days and then a few bad days...more and more I am starting to feel better. I'm sleeping better and I'm waking up better and I'm getting through most days better. It's been a long haul as this has been bogging me down for over a year now.

Since I always expect whatever I am taking to 'fail' me...this has been a nice change. It's pretty hard to fool my body when it comes to anything natural, herbal or homeopathic.

I've managed my fibromyalgia for years without prescription medications. If I can knock back the problems with/from the Lyme Disease and get my thyroid to function better on its own I'll be very happy.

WoW! What you have accomplished inspite of illness is amazing! You are so strong and motivated. Congrats.
:)

Valkyrie
03-11-2009, 09:48 AM
nice training
It was a blast. When Sifu clips me during training it makes me more determined to avoid getting clipped. It's like a challenge and I like to win challenges! :D

WoW! What you have accomplished inspite of illness is amazing! You are so strong and motivated. Congrats.
:)
Thank you.

Kelly Baker
03-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Checking in here too! :D

Valkyrie
03-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Checking in here too! :D
You're always welcome to check in! :cool:

Week 4 - Leg Day 2
Squats
3s x 8r x 95/135/175#

Zerchers
top position
3s x 8r x 115/135/155#
Bottom position
3s x 8r x 115/125/135#

Romanians
3s x 8r/7r/6r x 135/155/155#
Bleh...just didn't have enough 'oomph' today. http://razorripped.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

Machine Glute Kickbacks
3s x 8r x 100/105/110#

Seated ham/leg curls
3s x 8r x 75#

Leg Extensions
3s x 8r x 80/85/90#

Seated Leg press - calves only
3s x 15r/13r/13r x 260#

robert da strongman
03-11-2009, 04:34 PM
nice leg work!

damn respectable romanians

Valkyrie
03-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Thank you. I was 'running out of steam' today. I had to leave early to deal with a family issue to do with getting my FIL to a CATscan on Monday. I ended up once again training a bit too far out from my pre-workout meal.

I tend to have to time my training rather carefully. The Romanians were okay...but normally I can pull a full 8 at 155 and bump that last set up to 165 for 6-8 more. I even sat and rested a bit longer than normal between those sets and I was still 'off'.

Oh well...at least I didn't get stuck down at the 135! :D

robert da strongman
03-11-2009, 05:05 PM
we have those days

next time!

Valkyrie
03-11-2009, 05:17 PM
we have those days

next time!
Exactly. I never give up. I'll be back at next week. :cool:

Valkyrie
03-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Week 4 Shoulders
Smith Incline press
3s x 8r/7r/5r x 65#

DB front raise
2s x 15r x 15#

Cable front raise
1s x 15r x pin @ 2/light

Smith upright rows
3s x 8r/8r/6 x 70#

DB side raise
2s x 15r x 15#

Cable side raise
1s x 17r x pin a @ 1/light

3s x 8r x 25#

Reverse Pec Dec - for rear delts
2s x 15r x 30#

Face pulls
1s x 20r x pin @ 5/heavy

robert da strongman
03-12-2009, 05:56 PM
nice work!

Valkyrie
03-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Thank you. Seemed like a 'short day' with no rack pulls. But I hit my goal and decided to drop them for a while and conserve energy for other things. :D

robert da strongman
03-12-2009, 10:35 PM
ah ok...

yeah i like to only do deads or rack pulls once a month

musclegoddess65
03-13-2009, 08:18 PM
still rocking it girl!!! you are one bad lady!

Valkyrie
03-13-2009, 10:15 PM
LOL! Thank you. Hopefully I'll be feeling better by Monday. Still not 100%.

Kelly Baker
03-16-2009, 09:33 AM
We need to make you a shirt that says Definition of Bad Ass on it. You work so hard and your numbers are always impressive!

musclegoddess65
03-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Hey nice idea for a shirt the Kelly!!!

Miss Muscle
03-17-2009, 07:04 PM
havn"t been on in a while, so just wanted to pop in and say hiiiii :)

Valkyrie
03-18-2009, 11:27 AM
We need to make you a shirt that says Definition of Bad Ass on it. You work so hard and your numbers are always impressive!
LOL! I'd always look like this ---> :o when I wore it!

Hey nice idea for a shirt the Kelly!!!
It is though!

havn"t been on in a while, so just wanted to pop in and say hiiiii :)
Hello Miss M!

I've been down very sick with the flu since Saturday night. Still not feeling too swift. Hope you are all well!

robert da strongman
03-18-2009, 11:30 AM
get some rest and get well!

Kelly Baker
03-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Hope you feel better soon!

You should look like this when you wear a shirt like that. :D

Valkyrie
03-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Friday cardio: - short hike - two hours

Saturday PM cardio: Belly Dance drills. Emphasis on hip work.

Sunday AM cardio: Elliptical - 40 minutes - weighted vest/20#
*Oh man! My legs and my latissimus dorsi were killing me! But...the good news is no pain in the feet at all and very little numbness!

Alrighty...I'm still not feeling 100%. The flu I had kicked my butt pretty badly. I am restarting my weekly count as I am changing up a few things in my training. I also decided that this week should probably be a light-medium intensity week. Today I trained at home so I did not do my day 1 leg work.

Week 1 - Back
Seated wide-grip cable rows
3s x 8r x 60/70/80#

Seated narrow/v-grip cable rows
3s x 8r x 60/70/80#

Wide-grip Lat pull downs
2s x 15r x 50/60#

Narrow/v-grip Lat pull downs
2s x 15r x 50/60#

Good mornings
3s x 8r x 50#

Pull-throughs
2s x 15r x 50/60#

Cable woodchoppers
2s x 15r (L/R) x 30#

robert da strongman
03-23-2009, 03:38 PM
nice to see ya back!

SallyAnne
03-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Glad you're feeling better! Awesome cardio with the weighted vest.

robert da strongman
03-23-2009, 03:56 PM

i like the bellydancing

Valkyrie
03-23-2009, 07:59 PM
nice to see ya back!
Good to be back! Just wish my stomach would settle down and stop being cranky! :p

Thank you. I'm a fan of my vest! :)

i like the bellydancing
Hehee...so do I. :D

IRONURSE
03-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Hey. Glad to see you are feeling better! Noticed you started over on your weekly count, how many are you doing in this cycle?

Valkyrie
03-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Hey. Glad to see you are feeling better! Noticed you started over on your weekly count, how many are you doing in this cycle?Tummy is still arguing with me a bit. I like to try and get 4- 6 weeks in before I take a break or back off and go lighter for a week or two.

Week 1 - Chest/arms - Legs
Plate-loaded Wide iso bench
3s x 8r/8r/7r x 45/50/55#
*I took myself off the Smith. I hate it...and I have been suspicious for a while that my left side is lagging. I was correct in my assessment. This machine is plate loaded and the sides work independently. My left side is most definitely weaker. This should help.

Incline flyes
2s x 12r/11r x 25#

Pec Dec
2s x 12r x 40#

Cable cross-overs
1s x 20r x pin @ 2/H

Superset:
Overhead cable curls
3s x 8r x pin @ 4
Cable preacher curls
3s x 12r/10r/8r x pin @ 3/H

Cable EZ bar curls
1s x 20r x pin @ 2/H

Superset:
Tri. Straight-bar press
3s x 8r x pin @ 7/H
DB kick backs
3s x 15r x 25#

Alt. Tri. Cable pull-downs
2s x 15r x pin @ 2/L

Hip adductions
3s x 8r x 70/75/80#

Hip abductions
3s x 8r x 180#

Seated leg press - Single leg press (R/L)
3s x 8r (R/L) x 115#

Seated leg press - calves
3s x 15r x 235#

Superset:
Hack sled - conventional
3s x 8r x 50#
Hack sled - facing sled
3s x 8r x 50#

*I tucked some leg work in today as I have a funeral for my FIL's twin brother tomorrow. He passed away Sunday morning after a battle with cancer.

robert da strongman
03-24-2009, 03:59 PM
wow lot of work!

i love the plate loaded machines.

Valkyrie
03-24-2009, 04:50 PM
wow lot of work!

i love the plate loaded machines.
It was...it was. I don't normally do anything but my hip ad/ab work on my chest/arm day. But since I'm completely missing my Wednesday leg day I decided to split my leg work between Tuesday and Thursday.

I'm developing quite an affinity to the plate loaded machines. :D

robert da strongman
03-24-2009, 04:53 PM
ah that explains it.

yes the hammer strength machines are decent.

Valkyrie
03-24-2009, 05:05 PM
yes the hammer strength machines are decent.
Much better than the Smith. I seriously hate Smith machines. :p

Although I feel like such a 'light weight' no matter what I do for bench work. :cloud:

Today was amusing. A young guy was on the machine before me. When he finished I reloaded the machine with 45s on each side to start. The look on his face was priceless. A half later I saw why...one of the trainers put a 'skinny fat' chick on the machine ... with two 5 pound plates on each side. I've been watching him train her for weeks...I don't know if he keeps her at low weights and high reps or she chooses low weights and high reps, but after seeing him train her...no wonder the guys look at me like I'm a freak! :eek:

robert da strongman
03-24-2009, 05:10 PM
yeah the majority of common people are just wasting money in gyms and with these "trainers"

i had to pay for my friend to come in and help put my suit on sunday. i was also warned that he couldnt train me. like any trainer in the gym even knows what a deadlift is.

Valkyrie
03-24-2009, 05:16 PM
yeah the majority of common people are just wasting money in gyms and with these "trainers"

i had to pay for my friend to come in and help put my suit on sunday. i was also warned that he couldnt train me. like any trainer in the gym even knows what a deadlift is.
I watch her work with him and all I can think of is..."What is she trying to accomplish anyhow?" Her training is very low-key...her cardio is on a recumbent bike and low-key. She's a very pretty lady...but man would she be hot with some serious training. She is training so very UNDER her potential. It's like watching money being flushed down the drain.

Are you serious!?!?! That freakin' sucks! I'd have to pay to bring someone in...but they wouldn't say anything if my friend 'trained' me or trained with me. Dayum...that is some uptight gym!

robert da strongman
03-24-2009, 05:18 PM
golds...

rethinking my membership...might have to make the drive to a real gym

Valkyrie
03-24-2009, 05:35 PM
golds...

rethinking my membership...might have to make the drive to a real gym
Wow...no longer 'hard core' are they!?!

I moved my membership when my "Y" took out all the good racks and machines. I love the place I train at now. For the most part I don't ever have trouble with anyone and I have a cage and racks and good heavy hammer strength machines. :D 30 minute drive. But worth it. I'd drive further if I had to.

robert da strongman
03-24-2009, 05:37 PM
way too corporate

Valkyrie
03-26-2009, 01:48 PM
way too corporate
Sounds like it. :(

Week 1 Shoulders - Legs day 2
HS iso front military press
3s x 8r/8r/8r x 30/35/40#
*Last set of reps was forced on both sides.
Starting next week I'm going to break these down and work each side with lower weight, independently, and starting with my weaker left side.

DB front raises
2s x 12r x 15#

Alt. Cable front raises
1s (R/L) x 15r x pin @ 2/L

Lifefitness Shoulder machine
3s x 8r/8r/6r x 30/35/40#

DB lateral raises
2s x 15r/12r x 15/20#

Alt. Cable lateral raises
1s x 15r x pin @ 1.5/L

Chest-to-incline rear delt rows*
3s x 8r x 25#

Reverse pec dec*
2s x 12r x 30/35#

Face-pulls*
1s x 15r x pin @ 5.5/H

*I may change the order of these three next week.

Legs - Day 2
45* leg press - legs and calves
3s x 8r (legs)/15/10/10r (calves) x 270#

45* (single) leg press - alternating legs
3s x 8r (R/L) x 90/110/130#

Leg Extensions - alternating R/L - toes out position
3s (R/L) x 8r x 30/35/40#

Seated leg/ham curls - alternating R/L
3s (R/L) x 8r x 10# **
**I could actually curl 30 pounds with the right leg...nada on the left. I have been suspicious for a long time that my right leg was doing more work on these...hence, breaking them down to one leg at a time.

Prone ham curls - Alternating (R/L)
3s (R/L) x 8r x 20/30/32.5#
*As much as I hate these...I figure I need them until I get the disparity in strength between my right and left sides caught up a bit.

Interesting day to say the least. :rolleyes:

robert da strongman
03-26-2009, 04:02 PM
wow....i got tired reading that...haha

good stuff!

Valkyrie
03-26-2009, 07:12 PM
wow....i got tired reading that...haha

good stuff!
LOL! Thank you. I don't normally do quite so much on shoulder day. But I was working more of my missed leg work in.

I'm adjusting my training to be a bit more unilateral on a few things. I've been suspicious that my left side is lagging and this week some of the training I did bore that out. So I'll be backing some of the weight down and working one side at a time for a bit. I'll tell you...working each side independently...is exhausting! I was so tired when I finished today!

robert da strongman
03-26-2009, 07:14 PM
i bet...but you will be better for it.

Valkyrie
03-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Exactly what I am thinking. Gotta make a sacrifice somewhere to bring up the weaker side. The ego gets left at the door to be sure with unilateral training.

robert da strongman
03-26-2009, 07:17 PM
yeah but this will help the ego in the long run

Valkyrie
03-26-2009, 07:22 PM
I think so. I would rather back up a bit and catch up a lagging side than risk an injury further down the road.

Valkyrie
03-27-2009, 05:14 PM
http://razorripped.com/images/smilies/sun.gif First bike trip of the year. (Well...in 10+ years for me actually! http://razorripped.com/images/smilies/cool.gif )

We rode to the top of Soapstone Mountain, had lunch and headed back down. Crossed over Gulf Rd and took the dirt road to Rt 190 through that side of Shenipsit State Forest. Only a few mucky spots. Which surprised us as we expected a lot more mud.

I had a really bad asthma attack yesterday. So bad that I spent the later part of the day shaking and knew I was too light-headed to take my MA class. I probably should have gone to the ER for a nubulizer treatment. But I really hate having that thing attached to my face. So I toughed it out.

That made today a bit tough as I had to use my inhaler first thing this AM. Whenever I do that I struggle with my heart-rate zipping up on me throughout the rest of the day.

On the way up Soapstone I started to have that pounding in my temples and neck that warns me I'm pushing too hard and have to slow down. So I jumped off my bike and walked until my heart-rate came back down. I only had to walk two very short sections up Soapstone...and three very short sections over in the other section of the state forest.

The ride back down from the summit of Soapstone was a blast. I let out a good ole' swamp Yankee yell. Startled Gypsy a bit. She figures everyone that was on the way up the summit heard me. I figure I had to get at least one good yell in. http://razorripped.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Quite honestly after yesterday...I really expected to have to walk more than I did. So I was rather pleased with my first trip out on my mountain bike.

My legs stood up to the trip better than my lungs and heart did. http://razorripped.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif But...I'm going to feel this trip in my hams and glutes tomorrow. Plus I'm a tad bit saddle sore...http://forums.steroid.com/images/smilies/blush.gif...that is to be expected though!

robert da strongman
03-27-2009, 05:19 PM
sounds like a fun ride!

Valkyrie
03-27-2009, 05:28 PM
It was. The park gates are still closed...so there were no autos to contend with on the way up Soapstone or through the middle section of Shenipsit SF. Made for a very 'care-free' trip. No worries about whipping around a downhill corner and finding ourselves face-to-face with an oncoming vehicle.

The pond and swamps were 'noisy' with the spring frogs songs today. That was pretty cool. No sign of the herons yet. We spotted one vulture at the summit. No hawks, but we were not on our usual trails so that is not surprising.

robert da strongman
03-27-2009, 05:31 PM
plenty of herons here...

Valkyrie
03-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Well tell them to hurry up and head north! We're waiting on them! :D

Valkyrie
03-28-2009, 04:28 PM
Saturday cardio: Road work - 20.36 miles - Not timed as I stopped for a quick visit with a friend mid-way through the route.
Elevation: Minimum 367 Ft - Maximum 948 Ft - Ascent 801 Ft.

robert da strongman
03-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Saturday cardio: Road work - 20.36 miles - Not timed as I stopped for a quick visit with a friend mid-way through the route.
Elevation: Minimum 367 Ft - Maximum 948 Ft - Ascent 801 Ft.

nice

Valkyrie
03-28-2009, 05:20 PM
nice
Hehee...my glutes are not in agreement! :eek: My brain is happy though! :D

robert da strongman
03-28-2009, 05:22 PM
hehe...glutes will get over it.
relaxing?

Valkyrie
03-28-2009, 09:08 PM
hehe...glutes will get over it.
relaxing?
Yes...with pain relief rub on my wrists and hams! :D

Valkyrie
03-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Sunday AM cardio: 60 minutes - elliptical - weighted vest/20#

Valkyrie
03-30-2009, 10:04 AM
I finally totaled Friday's elevation and mileage:
Shenipsit State Forest
Soapstone Mountain, Somers, CT. Elevation: 1,075.
Mileage total: 6 miles - 2.26 summit loop - 3.74 State forest road loop.

I'm happy...26+ miles total in two days! Woohoo! :D

robert da strongman
03-30-2009, 02:58 PM
nice!

Valkyrie
03-30-2009, 04:11 PM
nice!
Yes! :cool: I'm rather tickled with the start of my biking year. :D

Week 2 Back/bi's - Hips/legs
Seated WG cable rows
3s x 8r x 80/90/100#
Seated CG cable rows
3s x 8r x 80/90/100#

WG lat pull-downs
2s x 12r x pin @ 4.5/pin @ 5
CG lat pull-downs
2s x 12r x pin @ 4.5/pin @ 5

Good mornings
3s x 8r x 95#

Pull-throughs
2s x 12r x pin 10/H @ 11/H

Hypers
2s x 10r x 10#

Wood-choppers
3s x 15r (R/L) x pin @ 4/H

Dip station abs
3s x 15r x BW

Machine biceps
3s x 8r x 30/35/40#

Cable preacher curls
2s x 12r x pin @ 4/H @ 5/H

Cable ez bar curls
2s x 15r x pin @ 2.5/H

Hip adductions
3s x 8r x 75#
Hip abductions
3s x 8r x 180#

Seated leg press - singles and conventional
3s x 8r (R/L) x 115/135/135#
3s x 8r x 255# - both legs.

Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday I'm spreading out my leg work a bit...if Wednesday stays clear as predicted I'm going to head out on my mountain bike instead of the gym. I just cannot resist getting in more miles.

robert da strongman
03-30-2009, 04:20 PM
i am tickled by your lifting...haha

Valkyrie
03-30-2009, 04:21 PM
LOL! Me too actually! It was a good day. :D

robert da strongman
03-30-2009, 04:24 PM
so i guess you are feeling much better...

Valkyrie
03-30-2009, 04:50 PM
so i guess you are feeling much better...
Yes and no...my asthma has been very bad. I've been needing my inhaler more than twice a day. So I'm having to be rather cautious about all my training. :( It's very irritating to start in with wheezing and coughing part-way through my training this past week. :p This too shall pass...and soon I hope!

robert da strongman
03-30-2009, 04:55 PM
is it just albuterol?

was dealing with it in indiana. had to get advair.
now i hardly use my emergency inhaler

Valkyrie
03-30-2009, 06:34 PM
is it just albuterol?

was dealing with it in indiana. had to get advair.
now i hardly use my emergency inhaler
Singulair daily and albuterol for rescue. Normally Singulair is enough. I've been on Advair before...didn't do much for me.

robert da strongman
03-30-2009, 06:54 PM
since being down in florida i dont use either.

Valkyrie
03-31-2009, 02:23 PM
since being down in florida i dont use either.
You are very lucky!

Week 2 Chest/tri's - Leg/hams

HS wide iso bench
3s x 8r x 45/50/55# *last set was all forced reps

Inc. DB flyes
2s x 12r x 25#

Pec dec
2s x 12r x 45/50#

Cable cross-overs
1s x 15r x pin @ 3/Heavy

Triceps superset:
Straight bar cable press
3s x 8r x 7/7.5/8-Heavy
Db Kick backs
3s x 15r x 25#

Alt Triceps cable pull-downs
2s x 15r/12r x pin @ 2.5/Light - pin @ 3/Light

45* Leg Press - singles - conventional - calves
Singles - 3s x 8r (R/L) x 110/130/140#
Conventional - 3s x 8r x 270/290/310#
Calves - 3s x 15r x 12r/12r x 270/290/310#

Hack Squats - conventional and facing sled
Conventional - 3s x 8r x 50/70/90# - foot high/narrow
Facing sled - 3s x 70/90/110# - foot low/narrow

Leg Extensions - singles
3s x 8r (R/L) x 40/45/50#

Seated Ham/leg curls - singles
3s x 8r (R/L) x 25#

Prone ham curls - conventional
3s x 8r x 35#
*Not enough 'oomph' left today to do singles work.

robert da strongman
03-31-2009, 05:01 PM
good liftin!

musclegoddess65
03-31-2009, 07:59 PM
what he said.... nice work!

tis the time of year for pollen to fill the air.... :(

Valkyrie
03-31-2009, 10:03 PM
good liftin!

what he said.... nice work!

tis the time of year for pollen to fill the air.... :(
Thank you! :cool: It certainly is. I missed my ma class again tonight. My chest and back hurt so much by 5-6 PM that there is no way I can get through class. That and I have been needing my inhaler 3-4 times a day. My heart-rate jumps up too easily when I need my inhaler that often. :(

musclegoddess65
04-01-2009, 06:50 PM
boo... :( I use to just hate seeing my brother with that damn inhaler when we were kids... even at a young age I always had in my mind I wish it didn't have to be that way for him...

maybe a good rain will come along and knock some of the pollen down for ya..

Valkyrie
04-01-2009, 09:23 PM
boo... :( I use to just hate seeing my brother with that damn inhaler when we were kids... even at a young age I always had in my mind I wish it didn't have to be that way for him...

maybe a good rain will come along and knock some of the pollen down for ya..
That is exactly what I'm hoping will happen...the rain is on the way!

Wednesday cardio: Hike – 1.5 hours - 4 or so miles
Conant Brook Dam and Beaver Pond Loop

My original plan of action was to get a 4-6 mile or more loop in on my bike. I headed out all bundled up...but 38 degrees and windy was not co-operating with my asthma. So I turned back, parked the mountain bike and headed down the mountain in my Blazer to the trail head extension off my road.

The farmer was out burning brush, so I had to cover my mouth and nose with my bandana until I dropped below the smoky air on the way down behind Conant Brook Dam. I could hear mourning doves and phoebes calling, that soothed my insulted ego a bit and I settled into my hike with a bit more enthusiasm.

I swung up over the old cart road and down to the old intersection of 'Sand Hill' and noted that the Army Corps or the DCR have been in doing repairs of the bridge over the brook. They must have created a 'hole' in the beaver dam further up stream as the water level in that area was back to normal and the stream was back in her old bed. I didn't head out to see if the dam had been opened by the workers or the weather. I was more interested in heading up to “Duck Pond” to see if it had melted off and if there were any birds settling in yet.

As I approached Duck Pond it dawned on me that I had left my binoculars home. How very disappointing as there were indeed a pair of 'something' out on the pond, but I could not quite make out what I was looking at. After quietly watching the pair for a bit I headed back to the main trail.

Then it dawned on me. Someone (probably a group of 'someones'.) had recently been through the area performing trail maintenance. I was well pleased to see that as back in my teens Sully and I would go out each spring and after the major storms to do trail maintenance. They had even created an alternate route around one of the boggy, soggy sections of the trail, so I didn't get my feet soaked as I had anticipated I might.

Crossing over the first of two spring brooks I noted a perfect set of racoon prints in the muck. Poor little guy was probably hoping to find a bit of a pool to wash dinner in. The soil is soaking in the rain water quickly so the little guy probably had to drag his meal to the pond to wash it.

After crossing the second spring brook (I call them spring brooks as they are temporary in the spring due to the melt-off and rains.) I was nearing the pond and since the tree canopy has not started to grow in as yet I had a clear view of the heron rookery. And was a bit disappointed to note that the herons have not yet arrived.

A few steps closer to the pond and I 'kicked up' a pair of wood ducks, and had hardly walked a few more feet when I 'kicked up' a second pair. They are such skittish birds. As I rounded the edge of the pond into the field I spotted three pairs of mallards and a pair of Canadian geese. They were completely unruffled by my presence.

The field was 'loud' compared to the hike around the pond. It seems the grackles and red-winged black birds are returning to the area and they were rather vocal about their arrival. I could hear a pileated wood pecker as well as robins adding voice the the din. The spring frogs were silent. I'm suspecting that they were not pleased with a day of temps in the high 30's.

The swallows have not arrived yet, but I do think I may have spotted a pair of eastern blue birds in an old apple tree along the edge of the pond. The lighting was poor due to being so over cast, so I could not be certain of their coloring, but they had the shape of eastern blue birds. At least they did in my opinion...I can always hope.

The trail remained nice and clear and I started to note sign of shod horses. Funny how you notice things about droppings when you are a 'horse' person. The first horse is on too concentrated a diet with not enough roughage and water. The best thing that could have happened to that horse was to be out on a trail...and I was left wondering if the owner of that horse realizes how close to an impaction colic their horse may have come. The second horse was definitely better fed and not at risk for colic by the looks of that horses droppings.

Hmmm...Now would be a good time for me to warn those that are 'new' to reading my hike logs...you are going to find notes about deer and moose droppings, coyote scat, and owl pellets. I'm a country girl after all and I notice things along the trails about the animals that traverse the trails before me.

Today I decided not to take the trail down through the hemlock forest and past my favorite babbling brook. I chose to take a larger loop and get in a bit more mileage. So I headed out to the Munn Rd section where another trail-head comes in to the trail system and headed back down towards the back of the Conant Brook area before heading off on a side-trail that would bring to the top of the dam's back up flood water system.

I skirted that area and noted that the game trails are heavily used and almost headed through the thick under brush to follow on in particular for the heck-of-it before I remembered that I had wanted to go check the backwater and causeway to see what seasonal bird residents had returned.

I spotted another pair of geese, but my attention was drawn to the efforts of the beavers...they are once again trying to 'dam' up Conant Brook. Have they not noticed that it has been done and in a big way on the other side of the causeway? Silly beavers, they just cannot resist building a dam. And I find it highly amusing that they are busy building a dam...behind a dam.

Swinging around the backwater pond brings me back to the old cart road up to my truck. I was nearly to the top of the hill when I noticed that darn haze from the burning brush. I had to cover my mouth and nose once again to prevent another asthma attack. I will be so happy when brush burning season is over!

So there you have it. I didn't get my ride in as I had hoped...but I did get a decent hike in and next time I should really try to remember to bring my binoculars.

Valkyrie
04-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Week 2 Shoulders - Squats
Iso front mil press - unilateral
3s x 8r x 25/27.5/27.5#
*Forced reps on set 2 and 3 left side.
One more set on the weaker left side 8r x 20#

DB front raises
2s x 15r x 15#

Cable front raises
1s x 15r (R/L) x pin @ 2/L

LF shoulder press
3s x 8r x 30/35/40#

DB lateral raises
2s x 12r x 20#

Cable lateral raises
1s x 15r x pin @ 1.5/L

Face-Pulls
3s x 8r x pin @ 5/5.5/6-H

Reverse pec dec
2s x 12r x 35/40#

Chest-to-incline rear delt rows
1s x 15r x 20#

Squats
2s x 20r x 95/115#

Box squats
3s x 8r x bar/65/85#

Afternoon cardio: Power walk - 4.82 miles - 1.20 min
Elevation: min: 784 ft - max: 974 ft - ascent 367 ft

Valkyrie
04-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Thursday MA class: 1 hour
Timed conditioning work. Kick work and punch techniques.
My next test is coming up! I'm not feeling ready...Sifu feels I am.
I think a lot of my concern/worry is that my asthma will kick in and wreck havoc.

robert da strongman
04-02-2009, 10:43 PM
good stuff!

do what you can...

Valkyrie
04-03-2009, 08:28 AM
Thank you. Yeah...I figure that I'll do the best I can and see what happens. We have run on the way. That may clear up my asthma a little.

Valkyrie
04-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Hahaa! I love your new avi Mr Stongman! :D

Friday Cardio: walk - 7 miles - 2 hours (In the rain...made the walk interesting...)
Elevation: min: 699 ft. - max: 1060 ft. ascent 443 ft.

robert da strongman
04-03-2009, 03:54 PM
nice cardio

haha..

Valkyrie
04-05-2009, 12:00 PM
nice cardio

haha..
It was! :D Woohoo! Calvin and Hobbes! Loved that comic. I have a bunch of the books. My son Jer has a beautiful hard bound set.

Saturday - rest -Yes! Really! :eek:

Sunday am (fasted) cardio: 50 min - elliptical - weighted vest/20 lbs.

Oh the times...they are a changin'...

And so are the seasons! http://razorripped.com/images/smilies/wink.gif I have gently been reminded twice now in the past month that I'm over training...and it is true.

My hours on the road and trails are picking up...so it's time for me to back things off in the gym.

I'm still mulling over how I want to break things down. I'm probably going to change over to Monday and Thursday in the gym. Doing some type of upper/lower split. I'll be taking out a lot of sets (and exercises), focusing more on unilateral and negative training as well as just plain getting in a heavy set from time to time.

I also think I'm going to switch things up a bit from week to week. Meaning swapping out through free weights, cable stations, and machines. All with an 'eye' to keeping my functional strength and mobility 'tip-top' for the road and trails.

I like change. :cool:

robert da strongman
04-05-2009, 12:06 PM
love calvin...

good cardio

Valkyrie
04-05-2009, 12:54 PM
love calvin... Who could resist him?!?! :D

Thank you. My right foot was cranky today. Went numb at 40 minutes. So I held out for 10 more minutes! :p

Aight...you've got me this time...who the heck is your avi character this time??? :confused:

robert da strongman
04-05-2009, 12:59 PM
roman moronie

from johnny dangerously

musclegoddess65
04-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Calvin is a great comic... I like Frazz too....

more time on trails means spring is upon us!!

Valkyrie
04-06-2009, 09:49 AM
more time on trails means spring is upon us!!
:D :cool: :D :cool: Oh yeah....

Valkyrie
04-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Week 3 - Back (upper)/biceps/shoulders/legs

WG seated row (Palms facing)
2s x 10r/8r x 100/110#

WG lat pull downs (Palms facing)
2s x 10r/9r x pin @ 5.5/6

Standing cable curls - negative singles
2s x 6r (R/L) x pin @ 5/H
*Slow count 8, 7, 6 ...etc on the way down. Left a 'pleasant sting'.

Machine curls - negative singles
2s x 6r (R/L) x 70#
*Same slow count as above.

Cable front raises - negative singles
2s x 6r (R/L) x pin @ 5/H
*Same count as above...OMGosh...these stung like biatch!

Seated Alternating Arnolds
2s x 8r/6r (R/L) x 20/25#
*Needed to have "J" help me force the last three reps on the 25's. Just could not do them myself.

Chest-to-incline DB rear-delt rows
2s x 8r/8r x 25/30#

45* Leg press - singles
2s x 8r (R/L) x 180#
*Slow - no stop - no lock out.

Seated ham/leg curls - singles
2s x 8r/8r (R/L) x 25/30#
*Same as above

Leg extensions - singles - toes out
2s x 8r/8r (R/L) x 50/55#
*Same as above

Seated leg press - calves only - singles
2s x 15r/15r (R/L) x 115/135#
*Had to rest pause the right side for two more reps on the last set.

Abs - Dip station - knee lifts
3s x 15r x BW

Very little rest between sets. Basically long enough to change stations, adjust handles and catch my breath. I 'walked away' very happy this week. http://razorripped.com/images/smilies/sun.gif (Even though I wanted to just stretch out on the floor and regroup when it was done!) :D

robert da strongman
04-06-2009, 03:17 PM
good stuff!

Valkyrie
04-06-2009, 05:10 PM
good stuff!
Thank you. It kicked my backside...but I thoroughly enjoyed it. :D

robert da strongman
04-06-2009, 05:25 PM
nothing beats a good ass kickin

Valkyrie
04-06-2009, 06:18 PM
nothing beats a good ass kickin
Especially in the gym! :beerbang:

robert da strongman
04-06-2009, 06:26 PM
of course in the gym
or dojo

Valkyrie
04-08-2009, 02:43 PM
of course in the gym
or dojo
Dojo---->Kwoon! I'm excited to say that my favorite training partner (besides Sifu) will be back soon!

No Monday ma...needed to crash early to be sure I could be up at 3:50 AM to bring Rissa to the airport.

Tuesday ma: 1 hour - kick drills and forms.
*Tough class for me...I needed my inhaler 4 times yesterday. That left me dehydrated and dizzy. I had to really take it easy on my rear kicks and my front-ball-to-rear kicks. I kept losing my balance. http://razorripped.com/images/smilies/frown.gif On a happier note. I now have my bo staff. http://razorripped.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Wednesday cardio 1: elliptical - 40 minutes - weighted vest/20 lbs.

Immediately followed by:
Cardio/conditioning 2: heavy bag work - weighted vest/20 lbs - 10 minutes

Punches, kicks, elbow and knee drills, precision and one-legged kick drills (meaning balancing on one leg and kicking the bag over-and-over).

A couple things:
*This was the first time I've ever done my bag work here at home with my vest on! It was pretty cool...and I really had to concentrate.
*I've been dropping my guard a bit with my left hand when doing round house kicks using my left leg. So...I grabbed my hand towel out of my gym bag and wrapped it in my hands so that my hands were approximately in the position they should remain in when I'm 'en guard' and worked both sides. This is a great way to learn to keep your hands up and balance correctly during the kick.

I did well today for being away from my bag work so long. I only mashed myself in the left eye with my own gloved fist once...http://forums.steroid.com/images/smilies/blush.gif and I only caught myself with the bag on the return after one front ball kick, But quite honestly I was rather happy about that one as my follow through and power on front ball kicks suck. So much so that Sifu often shakes his head and says, "Just not your kick Amy!"

I do happen to agree with him...but I would like to change that trend. I was also pleased to discover that I could have probably put in another 5-10 minutes. But my plan was 10 minutes and that is what I stuck to for today . http://razorripped.com/images/smilies/sun.gif

robert da strongman
04-08-2009, 03:00 PM
nice work!

Valkyrie
04-08-2009, 03:03 PM
nice work!
Thank you! It was fun! :banana:

robert da strongman
04-08-2009, 03:04 PM
they are finally working on the mma school next to the gym. cant wait to get back to doin some rollin

Valkyrie
04-08-2009, 03:33 PM
they are finally working on the mma school next to the gym. cant wait to get back to doin some rollin
:excited:Woohoo! That is exciting news! :excited:

robert da strongman
04-08-2009, 03:42 PM
yes it is

Valkyrie
04-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Any idea when they will open?

Week 3 - Chest/tri's/(low) back/Legs

HS wide iso bench - plate loaded
2s x 8r x 45/50# (lbs per side)
Pec Dec
2s x 8r x 50/60#

Straight bar tri press
2s x 8r x pin @ 8/8.5 heavy
V handle tri-press
2s x 8r x pin @ 5.5/6 heavy

Good mornings
2s x 8r x 95#
Pull throughs
2s x 8r x pin @ 11/12 heavy

Squats
2s x 8r x 135/155#
Hack sled - conventional
2s x 8r x 70/90#
Facing sled
2s x 8r x 90/110#

robert da strongman
04-09-2009, 03:46 PM
good work!

hopefully soon. they were supposed to open in april. i see them in there painting.
the school is supposed to be part of americas top team

Valkyrie
04-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Thank you.

Soon would be awesome!
Wow! That's cool!

BTW...love the stone avi! :D

robert da strongman
04-09-2009, 10:27 PM
thanks!

yes i cant wait

Valkyrie
05-03-2009, 09:59 AM
Due to all the infighting among the boards I will not be keeping this journal up.

I am a board veteran. I have been a member and moderator of various boards for over 10 years. I have always tried to lay low when a board war ensued. I hate getting caught in the middle.

I am saddened in particular with the latest round of bickering.

The mods of this board may lock or delete my journal.

I'm not hard to find.

~Amy

musclegoddess65
05-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Amy it is very sad the BS that goes on via the internet....

I know where to find ya I think to keep up with you... I have to you inspire me lady!!!

SallyAnne
05-03-2009, 11:41 AM
You have the respect of everyone here, Amy - and always will.

GirlyMuscle
05-03-2009, 02:00 PM
^^ ditto.

Valkyrie
05-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Thanks all. Popping in to say a quick hello. Life's been very hectic. I have been helping a friend that is on semi-bed rest a couple hours a day. Well...until this week. I've been sick since Monday. Last week was my week off from training...and that break has stretched into two...:rolleyes:

I lost my beloved 10 year old GSD, Anakin, to cancer a couple weeks back...and my Aussie/Great Pyr girl hasn't taken his passing very well at all. She took off on me for a couple days the week after Anakin was put to sleep. I found her at the farm behind us, my nabe has kids and dogs...so Sara wanted to 'jump ship'.

Shortly after that I was offered my pick from a litter of black and chocolate Labs, at first I said no...but Sara has been moping so badly even with twice weekly visits to her former family and short trail walks with me that I changed my mind after she went missing...so I'd like to introduce you to Gunner:

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3213/gunner21wk5days.th.jpg (http://img231.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gunner21wk5days.jpg)

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/7932/gunner1wk5days.th.jpg (http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gunner1wk5days.jpg)

He is one week and 5 days old in the pics above. Grandkids kids chose his name. He won't be here until sometime in June...but I'll be going to visit him until it's time to bring him home.

Kelly Baker
05-22-2009, 02:29 PM
Oh my God he's ADORABLE!!! I just love dogs (well, all animals let's be honest) but lab puppies are the cutest!

karenfromcali
05-29-2009, 12:35 AM
awwww......what a cutie!