PDA

View Full Version : Matrix workout - Ron Laura

Chebster
04-09-2009, 07:23 PM
I recently found a book I bought in the early 90's by Ron Laura, called the Matrix Workout - before the Keanu Reeves film was released. I don't know if any ever tried it but it is essentially a partial rep workout using 1/3 of the weight you would normally use. When I first did the workout I was really impressed by the results. Every workout left me shattered and I grew like a weed. Anyway I've started using it again after about 15 years, as I think it's ideal for the older bloke, especially me after 30 years of rugby in the scrum and my joints aren't what they were. This isn't some lame assed promotion as I think it's out of print. However it is the least egocentric workout you'll ever do, you'll be struggling over kid sized weights, hating each workout, looking dismal in the gym, but not getting injured. I've just done the first 7 week sequence after a long time off, and I'm the best I've been in a long time. And more to the point you grow strong. About once ever 4 weeks I have a few heavy workouts and I'm as strong as an ox. Either way this is my view, I've no agenda. I just think it's really good.

Strikerrjones
04-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Can you give a summary of the workouts?

Chebster
04-09-2009, 07:31 PM
No probs pal, It's just past midnight here, so I'll sort it out in the morning for you.

HeavyDutyGuy
04-10-2009, 02:15 AM
Don't just THINK you're huge Heo, KNOW you are..

ChunkyThunder
04-10-2009, 11:36 AM
....There is no dumbell

Big Lee
04-11-2009, 07:30 AM
I am a friend of Professor Laura and his son and have trained using matrix. It is very affective at promoting muscle growth. In fact my picture is in 2 or 3 of the various books written by him. I do 5 weeks of matrix and then a week off then 5 weeks HIT then week off then repeat. Ron is still in very good shape at 64 and I trained with him in February and he absolutely destroyed me.

HeavyDutyGuy
04-13-2009, 03:08 PM
....There is no dumbell

Lol. But then what are you going to lift? You must think things through.. That was a good one, really, got me chuckling.

ChunkyThunder
04-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Lol. But then what are you going to lift? You must think things through.. That was a good one, really, got me chuckling.

:beerbang: Glad I could make you smile

thepump
04-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Don't just THINK you're huge Heo, KNOW you are..
Rare but your dead on, must know and it shall be so. :beerbang:

MichaelWayne
04-13-2009, 08:46 PM
No probs pal, It's just past midnight here, so I'll sort it out in the morning for you.

Dang, this guy sleeps a LONG time! lol

:popcorn:

Chebster
04-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Sorry I've been out of town for the past week. I'll give an example of his workout this weekend. I'm glad someone likes it, because I've alway thought it a hell of a routine. Not the most enjoyable, but certainly one of the most productive. There's nothing worse in the gym to be struggling over comparatively low weights. It's certainly a no ego workout, but stunningly productive - you will suffer.

Chebster
04-16-2009, 08:02 PM
You made me laugh MichaelWayne, you'll enjoy the extended kip when you've tried the workout buddy. You'll feel like you've had a stroke if you do it right. It's hard. I don't want to write up the full routine as i guess there may be copywrite issues, but if you tell what you're doing this weekend I'll give you the routine for that. Biceps,chest for example and I'll write it up for you. It's based around 7 body parts with a single workout per week for the first 4 weeks then twice a week for 3 weeks. Then a different single routine for 4 weeks then doubled up for the next 3 weeks and so on for 7 weeks. It's hard and I've never got past the fourth sequence, mainly due to army commitments. But after 17 years it's the routine I go ba wick to.

You will love it