PDA

View Full Version : Anybody for an improvement contest?

BananaHammock
02-12-2009, 12:08 PM
I don't know if this is in the right section but would anyone like to have an improvement contest. My days of competing are long gone. I'm soon to be thirty-six, have three kids and me and the wife are wanting more. I don't have time for 2 hours of cardio a day and all the rest that go with getting peeled like an onion but I do want to lean out some. I'm 230 and think I would look pretty good at 200. Anyone else interested. Friendly comp always helps people reach their goals.

Curt James
02-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Count me in.

BananaHammock
02-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Cool. I guess we have to set start and end dates. Who could judge?

BananaHammock
02-12-2009, 12:31 PM
I've got to get rid of the penclineck title.

BananaHammock
02-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Bump

Curt James
02-12-2009, 09:59 PM
UKwildcat, you could create a social group either here or over on Rx MusclePlace to promote your idea. Good luck.

http://rxmuscle.ning.com/groups

BananaHammock
02-13-2009, 09:52 AM
UKwildcat, you could create a social group either here or over on Rx MusclePlace to promote your idea. Good luck.

http://rxmuscle.ning.com/groups

Yeah I was hoping the idea would take off and kinda take care of itself. I doubt I have the time to get it going.

Curt James
02-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Yeah I was hoping the idea would take off and kinda take care of itself. I doubt I have the time to get it going.

I'll see what I can do, you lazy baaaastard! :p

BananaHammock
02-13-2009, 03:09 PM
I'll see what I can do, you lazy baaaastard! :p

Thank you. And yes I'm lazy. How do you think I got soooo fat.

Curt James
02-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Thank you. And yes I'm lazy. How do you think I got soooo fat.

A bug bite?

Popular mechanics said some have contracted a "fat virus"?

BananaHammock
02-13-2009, 05:18 PM
A bug bite?

Popular mechanics said some have contracted a "fat virus"?

I wish. Maybe I could just get a shot to cure it.

Kell0509
02-17-2009, 09:19 AM
Would this be for bodybuilding alone or overall improvement? I would be interested for overall weight loss and toning. It would keep me motivated lol.

BananaHammock
02-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Would this be for bodybuilding alone or overall improvement? I would be interested for overall weight loss and toning. It would keep me motivated lol.

It would just be for overall improvement. I wasn't looking for a bb contest just to get leaner and in better condition.

BananaHammock
02-17-2009, 09:49 AM
Curt
We have 3 interested!

Curt James
02-17-2009, 11:36 AM
It would just be for overall improvement. I wasn't looking for a bb contest just to get leaner and in better condition.

Wildcat, I haven't forgotten. Will get a social group created to help get more Rx'ers involved.

Welcome to you, Kel0509.

What you could both do is take some kind of pics for comparison. Whatever you're comfortable sharing.

I took pics on February 11th or 12th for another contest and plan on posting those for the Rx Improvement Group.

Are you sure you want judges? We can solicit those in the group.

What timeframe or end date were you considering?

I'm no bodybuilder, but entered a MuscleTech contest on BodySpace.

Posted pics included:

Front relaxed
Back relaxed
Side chest
Ab and thigh

Plus a shot holding a newspaper to verify the date I began (although I haven't really gotten rolling yet).

What pics or "poses" would you want included?

My goal is to trim my waist a bit and lose about ten pounds. :) I'm sure I have that much to spare.

I'm currently following a diet suggested or mentioned by new Rx'er "wavelength."

Will get the group up ASAP. You all take pics to post to that group/thread and think of any other additions, corrections, suggestions, or questions you may have.

Thank you both for showing an interest.

I believe these activities build camaraderie and help maintain motivation and focus.

BananaHammock
02-17-2009, 12:48 PM
[B]BIG THANKS[B] Curt.

I don't care if we have judges. If there aren't any prizes what does it matter?

I just sent my digital camera in to get fix. I'll have to take some crappy phone pics or figure something else out.

If this is just for motivation, then I don't care what poses we use.

Thanks again Curt.

Curt James
02-17-2009, 11:48 PM
http://forums.rxmuscle.com/group.php?groupid=4

I don't see an option to add a cover pic for our social group.

Well, there's the link. Join! lol

sba220
02-18-2009, 01:45 AM
Thanks to Curt for the invite. I will be checking in and offering any advice I can to help you guys and gals reach your goals. We were having a lot of success with a certain sponsored challenge on that other site and it was very rewarding. I am glad to help out if I might be of service.

Curt James
02-18-2009, 01:48 AM
Thanks to Curt for the invite. I will be checking in and offering any advice I can to help you guys and gals reach your goals. We were having a lot of success with a certain sponsored challenge on that other site and it was very rewarding. I am glad to help out if I might be of service.

Much appreciated! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/curt_james/Rx/smileys/beerbang.gif

knine110
02-18-2009, 02:28 AM
Right now I am looking like a bag of smashed apples. I had a full RCR on the 28th of January and its gong to be a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG road to recovery. So if we set a date for this thing can it at least be in the late fall/early winter so that I can at least participate.

KindaSwol
02-18-2009, 12:13 PM
count me in.

Joshua H
02-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Im in! Nothing like a little contest of sorts to keep you honest and consistent week to week with diet and training. I am all for it!

Curt James
02-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Thank you all very much for joining the Rx Muscle Improvement Contest! (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/group.php?groupid=4)

(That's a link to our social group.)

So, who wants to do what? What are your goals for this "contest"?

Contest? Here we could begin to iron out what it means.

I'm going to send out requests for sponsors as well as putting up a cash prize. I'm not leave1, so expect a coffee coupon sooner than marble floors, okay?

And, currently, I'm taking part in the second annual MuscleTech transformation contest on BodySpace. Last year they awarded a $25,000 grand prize (I believe) to user "rescuemadden" who made a tremendous transformation:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/curt_james/BodySpace/rescuemadden_before_after.jpg

Pretty crazy.

I've also participated in an improvement contest on MD. The November 1st contest? Some of you may have seen a thread like that over there. Newbreed won that one.

steve g (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/member.php?u=1416) (new Rx'er) has his photo included in the one issue of MD as the "After" pic. They posted Newbreed's "Before" and Steve's "After."

Not sure if that will ever see a retraction or correction now that Romano's no longer there.

Both contests were a lot of fun and offered great motivation for the participants, imo.

Oh, there was drama, too.

The MuscleTech contest saw accusations of steroid use against several of the top competitors and the one contestant (who really made a tremendous improvement/change) had a mini meltdown. His "After" pics were poor lit and super blurry.

After he calmed down he realized his photographic error. But he made no mistakes in his prep. Really was one of the top dogs for motivation, entertainment, and interest. He made several YouTubes to humor all of us.

Anyway, I believe this activity will prove to be beneficial, helpful, informative, and fun for all who take part.

Welcome!

APOSTLE
02-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Why not.

Curt James
02-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Great news, Apostle.

Curt James
02-18-2009, 04:42 PM
if we set a date for this thing can it at least be in the late fall/early winter so that I can at least participate.

We could break it into quarters or semesters or whatever, too.

I assume some want to get rolling right now while others are finishing a bulk, just stepping off stage, or putting all the apples back on the cart. :(

knine110, I saw your pics and... "Ouch!"

It will all be worth it once you're rehabbed/recovered, right?

Hopefully, this party will still be going on whenever you're able to fully participate.

Thank you for joining the group.

And welcome to the new members!

Gerb
02-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Pretty crazy.

I've also participated in an improvement contest on MD. The November 1st contest? Some of you may have seen a thread like that over there. Newbreed won that one.

steve g (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/member.php?u=1416) (new Rx'er) has his photo included in the one issue of MD as the "After" pic. They posted Newbreed's "Before" and Steve's "After."

Not sure if that will ever see a retraction or correction now that Romano's no longer there.

Both contests were a lot of fun and offered great motivation for the participants, imo.

Oh, there was drama, too.

Curt, actually, they used Newbreed's before AND my before, no AFTERs, which I can only assume they thought my before was Newbreed's after. Come on people! The tool that was responsible for that needed a swift kick in the pants. Newbreed felt horrible. I think it was really embarrissing for him. He made a great transformation but got no prize as promised. I didn't care, it was kinda funny that they posted a fat picture of me in my underwear, my punishment for not winning the contest:p. My family got a good laugh. ... I had to offer my correction for you thou, that was my BEFORE! :D

Curt James
02-18-2009, 06:46 PM
D'OH! My bad.

Obviously, your "Before" pics looked light years ahead of my after pics, Steve.

Newbreed achieved an absolutely stunning change in his physique. Truly remarkable. That's a shame he didn't get SOMETHING!

I tell you, though, his improved appearance was a prize in itself. MD can't take that away.

Thanks for correcting me. And no offense on your before shots or Newbreed's condition meant, of course. :)

Steve, glad you're here. I encourage everyone to seek out Steve's journal on MD if you're not already familiar with this athlete.

His entire family is in the game.

Kudos, my friend.

bigdaddyd
02-18-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm in....neversurrendr...you in?

Mighty
02-18-2009, 07:53 PM
I'm in!

neversurrendr
02-18-2009, 10:02 PM
WOAH. Gonna have to think on that a bit!!

rich_fox117
02-18-2009, 11:34 PM
ya I'm not quite sure myself to be honest....i cant stand the way i look shirtless, i'm not sure if i wanna post them up for the entire world to see lol

Curt James
02-18-2009, 11:44 PM
ya I'm not quite sure myself to be honest....i cant stand the way i look shirtless, i'm not sure if i wanna post them up for the entire world to see lol

Well, this is one great opportunity for you to help hammer out the details. Is it necessary for you to remove your shirt? Can we have categories?

If women can have fitness, figure, bodybuilding, and bikini, why can't we have an "improvement" (define THAT word, huh?) "contest" (and another) that has sub-categories:

Weight loss
Muscle gain
Six-pack
Breast implants
Breast reduction
Strength increase
% bodyfat
Inches lost

Does it have to be just another "Who gets ripped the best?" contest?

Although those are pretty rockin contests overall, imo.

Wait. Where was I?

:rolleyes:

Just saying that here, at the beginning, is the time to offer suggestions, give feedback, ask questions, offer opinions, etc.

Welcome to all the new members, too. Please spread the word! And PLEASE offer your suggestions as we carve out some "rules" or "goals" (NOT a mission statement, though! Errgh!) for our contest. :)

rich_fox117
02-18-2009, 11:48 PM
i guess so...but how will you see it then?

Curt James
02-19-2009, 12:56 AM
i guess so...but how will you see it then?

Well, you could see the progress by stats posted. If you're going for strength, post up a YouTube of you squatting X and then another at the end of the period showing additional plates, etc.

Or you could wear a tank top instead of shirtless. :D You'd still be showing results in your shoulders and arms, right?

rich_fox117
02-19-2009, 01:19 AM
but what if i actually do so well in this, the before pics are tank top, but i look good enough in the end and go shirtless!? now i've gone into a whole new zone! LOL

Kell0509
02-19-2009, 05:07 AM
I think that categories are a good idea. Seems like we're all in it for different reasons not just weight loss only or building strength only, etc. How about a time frame of 3 months? Or 6?

BananaHammock
02-19-2009, 10:06 AM
Well, this is one great opportunity for you to help hammer out the details. Is it necessary for you to remove your shirt? Can we have categories?

If women can have fitness, figure, bodybuilding, and bikini, why can't we have an "improvement" (define THAT word, huh?) "contest" (and another) that has sub-categories:

Weight loss
Muscle gain
Six-pack
Breast implants
Breast reduction
Strength increase
% bodyfat
Inches lost

Does it have to be just another "Who gets ripped the best?" contest?

Although those are pretty rockin contests overall, imo.

Wait. Where was I?

:rolleyes:

Just saying that here, at the beginning, is the time to offer suggestions, give feedback, ask questions, offer opinions, etc.

Welcome to all the new members, too. Please spread the word! And PLEASE offer your suggestions as we carve out some "rules" or "goals" (NOT a mission statement, though! Errgh!) for our contest. :)

Curt,

1st-Thanks for all your hard work.

2nd-I think categories would be great! Like I said in my first post, I'm a father of 3 and don't have the time and energy to compete in bodybuilding. Getting peeled like an onion isn't in the cards right now but I do want to get leaner ( not shredded like Dexter Jackson ). "Competing" against others with the same goal would be great motivation. Competing against people that want to get shredded would be the opposite and not fair to either category.

3rd-Thanks again Curt.

BananaHammock
02-19-2009, 10:09 AM
I think that categories are a good idea. Seems like we're all in it for different reasons not just weight loss only or building strength only, etc. How about a time frame of 3 months? Or 6?

I think 3 months is enough time to see some real change and short enough to not lose focus. If this thing keeps going and you are looking to keep improving then you could always enter the next contest after you finish one.

bigdaddyd
02-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Catagories are good. That way people that don't want to be shredded can still participate. Those that are embarrassed can still do it too.

I'm embarrassed to put my stuff up here too because I'm fat as hell but....who else to help keep me on track then my peers, brothers, and sisters!

MartyMcFly
02-19-2009, 10:26 PM
so is there an official start date or just whenever?

Gerb
02-19-2009, 11:07 PM
I might pull a Curt and bulk for the contest:p... seriously Curt, I am bulking so why not. What is the deal here? where are all the official rules and dates that a good contest organizer is suppose to post up for everyone? ;):D

just my two cents, keep the categories simple... Breast reduction:confused:

rich_fox117
02-20-2009, 01:36 AM
Catagories are good. That way people that don't want to be shredded can still participate. Those that are embarrassed can still do it too.

I'm embarrassed to put my stuff up here too because I'm fat as hell but....who else to help keep me on track then my peers, brothers, and sisters!

if you post em, my fat ass will as well lol

bigdaddyd
02-20-2009, 10:01 AM

Bro....What do I have to lose? What do you have to lose? FAT?!!

Everyone that knows me, knows I am fat in my gut and I have been fighting it my whole life.

A good portion of my family is obese and unhealthy. If embarrasing the crap out of myself and getting the support and accountability from people on this board is what I have to do to make it happen, then I will.

If it helps one more person feel confident to post their stuff, then I did my job. If one person looks at my pics and laughs because of my jelly roll..... but gets involved, I have done my job.

I have gone from a size 48 waist to a 40....now it is time for a 34 waist by summer!

Who is going to make this work for them? Who is going to take the challenge?

Gerb
02-20-2009, 11:50 AM

Everyone that knows me, knows I am fat in my gut and I have been fighting it my whole life.

A good portion of my family is obese and unhealthy. If embarrasing the crap out of myself and getting the support and accountability from people on this board is what I have to do to make it happen, then I will.

If it helps one more person feel confident to post their stuff, then I did my job. If one person looks at my pics and laughs because of my jelly roll..... but gets involved, I have done my job.

I have gone from a size 48 waist to a 40....now it is time for a 34 waist by summer!

Good luck with your goals! Both you guys can do anything you set your mind to, which I know you know!

Kell0509
02-20-2009, 11:53 AM

Wow, thats inspirational. I have always struggled with my weight & was always the heavier friend, but I did some changing in my personal life (got rid of some so-called friends) and am on the road to a happier, healthier me. Can't wait.

BananaHammock
02-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Possible categories

Personal Improvent-This would be for anyone not looking to step on stage but just wanting look and feel better. The most improved would be the winner. There would be a male and female division.

Stage ready-This would be for people who compete on stage. The standards would be the same as a normal competion. Male-female bodybuilding, fitness and figure. The could be a novice division as well. Natural and anything goes?

Bulk-For those adding some mass. Using before and after pics we could see who added the most real muscle.

Any more ideas?

bigdaddyd
02-20-2009, 02:20 PM
Wow, thats inspirational. I have always struggled with my weight & was always the heavier friend, but I did some changing in my personal life (got rid of some so-called friends) and am on the road to a happier, healthier me. Can't wait.

Good for you Kell. We all have to make changes and sacrifices to be who we are. Those that are willing to sacrifice are those that rise above!:)

Curt James
02-20-2009, 03:42 PM
so is there an official start date or just whenever?

NOW!

Or later.

:-)

I think it's flexible, but I'm starting now and going...

I think 3 months is enough time to see some real change and short enough to not lose focus.

three months and see where I'm at. This three-month space of time also coincides with the MT/BodySpace contest, so I'll be taking pictures anyway.

Hey, I have no shame. :-p

I might pull a Curt and bulk for the contest:p... seriously Curt, I am bulking so why not. What is the deal here? where are all the official rules and dates that a good contest organizer is suppose to post up for everyone? ;)

just my two cents, keep the categories simple...

Guilty.

I'm not much for paperwork and so have solicited recommendations from our nearly 40-count membership.

And agreed on keeping the categories simple.

IBreast reduction

Uh, sorry.

(I know a woman who recently had that procedure and so it stuck in my mind as what she considered... improvement.)

If embarrasing the crap out of myself and getting the support and accountability from people on this board is what I have to do to make it happen, then I will.

Amen.

Awesome drop in waist measurement. Congratulations!

but what if i actually do so well in this, the before pics are tank top, but i look good enough in the end and go shirtless!? now i've gone into a whole new zone! LOL

Thaz what I'm talkin ABOUT! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/curt_james/Rx/smileys/beerbangdouble.gif

Curt,

Thanks

Nah. Thank YOU! This looks like it's really taking off. Glad to be a part of it.

Gerb
02-20-2009, 04:14 PM
LOL ... I am just saying, more power to whoever gets it done but how is it a category? it's a surgical procedure.... but whatever, I was just pointing it out. :p ANYWAYS, Curt, you have organized this thing quite welll. I will be entering in the "365 Days of Bulking" category. Officially I started back in November after my last cut but we will just call it Jan 1st as my start date and I am bulking till New Years. The bad part about this is that I will be getting fatter in each set of pictures.

Good luck to all.

Curt James
02-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Cool! Start a new Discussion and post your pics. (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/group.php?groupid=4) :)

(Can that be a rule? Title your discussion "365 Days of Bulking" and I'll be following along.)

I was just throwing out the breast reduction as a joke category. My attorney has urged me to rescind this unwise attempt at humor and to apologize for making any reference whatsoever to breasts. :o

Stavman
02-20-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm interested.

I have different goals though.