PDA

View Full Version : A Balancing Act

DrSaraLynn
02-26-2012, 04:31 PM
After keeping a private training/life journal/blog for several weeks, I decided it was time to take the next step :yep:. I am continually reminded of how much I have learned from reading about other women's training, competition tips and experiences, and progress toward goals. I hope to use this sight to continue that learning and sharing.

I'm a 32 year old fitness and figure competitor - currently 5 weeks out from my next figure show and 16 & 18 weeks out from my next fitness competitions, respectively. In my 2.5 years competing, this is the first time I will have staggered figure and fitness as such, and I have been working closely with my trainer to keep the extended time period in mind with training and diet. I will be competing in Fitness at the the MN State Championships in June, and Jr. Nationals a couple of weeks later.

My "off season" went relatively well, and I was able to stay 12 pounds above my stage weight, with putting on quite a bit of muscle. I started powerlifting last year, with the encouragement from my trainer and it has really helped me make gains, as well as help me regain focus after dealing with a head/neck injuring last March (getting rearended).

One of the greatest differences w/ my training I have noticed since adding so much power training in, is the strength I have maintained this far into my diet. Even on 0 carb days, I am improving my PR's on bench press most weeks, and for instance, this week, was able to press 135 11 times pretty easily on a 0 day, and max out at 170. I have reined in my weight a bit on squats and dead lifts in order to prevent injuries this close to the show however.

My "cardio" has really been supplemented by new activities. My sister skates in roller derby, and I have taken to tagging along with her 1/night a week for a ten mile skate indoors. In addition, I am loving my three times/week bootcamp at lifetime fitness. I have found that this is esp. great on 0 carb days when I might otherwise feel challenged by an hour of high paced movement.

My schedule remains my greatest obstacle at this point. I work 50 hours/week at the VA hospital as a social worker for the stroke and amputee teams, as well as teach 20 hours/week at the University of Minnesota at night (lots of student loans to pay and it costs to compete:-) ). I adore both of my jobs, but the reality is that my days start at 430 and generally don't end before 11, when I am done grading, cooking, or prepping for class. I'm really trying to get 6 hours of sleep a night, but that does not always happen.

My schedule with training and "life" at this point looks something like this:

4:00 - 4:15 - up, coffee in hand, to the gym for an hour of cardio or interval training
7:00-4:30 - Work at the VA
*30 minute high paced walk instead of "lunch break" and two 5 minute "breaks" of up and down
the stairs mid morning and mid afternoon to briefly pick up the heart rate

5-6:15 Teach 50 college seniors :-)

645 - Lift for 50 minutes, 20 minutes of cardio (3 nights of week I add in an hour of boot camp here)

830 - Head home to grade papers, prep for class, prep food, see my bf/friends/family

As stated, i try to get to bed by 11, but its not always possible with work responsibilities. :no:

I'm adding in 2/week yoga this week, we will see how it goes.

I'm really lucky to have my job at the VA - everyday I see Veterans who have been through so much more than I ever will have, and I'm reminded that I should be grateful to have the health and CHOICE to train, compete, ect. It is really frusterating to me when people talk constantly about training or competing, as though they are forced to do it, and as though life is so hard. Indeed - life is hard. But there are soooo many people who dont have food on the table, a dollar to their name, or the health to live through another week. I'm feel blessed to know that as serious as I am about competing - i kknow its not what life is really about. My goal and purpose in life remains to try, everyday, to somehow better the lives of those less fortunate than myself. With that, I always make time for my family and those closest to me. If something ever happened to them, as certainly, one day it will to all of us - I will never look back and say that the treadmill, the squat rack, or the stage was more important to me than time with my loved ones.

The Prodigy
02-26-2012, 04:43 PM
AWESOME! Well to RX Girl girlie! Glad your here!

DrSaraLynn
02-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Thanks! And I so admire your story! Just read it!!

Sunnyday
02-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Welcome! Looking forward to following your journey to the stage. :)

The Prodigy
02-27-2012, 09:29 AM
I think anyone with a full time job that tries to compete is overwhelmed! In this new society we live in, everything is more stressful and hard! Hang in there and take it day by day!

I LOOOOOOVE powerlifting! It is SOOO much fun! I can't wait to perfect my deadlift next offseason!

katt981
02-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Wow - now that's a PACKED schedule! Will be following along :)