PDA

View Full Version : squatting on smith machine

grandmaster87
04-10-2009, 06:27 AM
hi

well i got a dilemma... where i live theres 2 gyms and both are shit...

one has a squat rack and no fixed dumbells and the other has fixed dumbells and no squat rack...

i want to go to the one with fixed dumbells cause its more easier than loading up dumbells all the time plus its cheaper and a bit hardcore in a way...

will it be fine and will squatting on the smith machine hamper my strength gains or what?

regards,
gm

Skeptic
04-10-2009, 07:45 AM
Move to another town. :D

Skeptic
04-10-2009, 07:46 AM
No fixed dumbbells? Are you serious? I've never seen that. Ever.

tjoe
04-10-2009, 08:39 AM
hi

well i got a dilemma... where i live theres 2 gyms and both are shit...

one has a squat rack and no fixed dumbells and the other has fixed dumbells and no squat rack...

i want to go to the one with fixed dumbells cause its more easier than loading up dumbells all the time plus its cheaper and a bit hardcore in a way...

will it be fine and will squatting on the smith machine hamper my strength gains or what?

regards,
gmI know you are just getting into the sport, so here is my advice for you:
Join the gym with the SQUAT RACK!!
Squats are king bro. A smith machine will NOT let you learn the proper groove of the motion. You should be thinking about results and at this stage of the game a healthy diet of FREE WEIGHT squats is exactly what you need! Spend the extra cash and go there!

SCRUBS
04-10-2009, 10:51 AM
I know you are just getting into the sport, so here is my advice for you:
Join the gym with the SQUAT RACK!!
Squats are king bro. A smith machine will NOT let you learn the proper groove of the motion. You should be thinking about results and at this stage of the game a healthy diet of FREE WEIGHT squats is exactly what you need! Spend the extra cash and go there!

Sound advice right there. And you will be able to deadlift, another key exercise.JMHO

SUMO
04-10-2009, 02:02 PM
I would take a squat rack over dumbbells any day of the week.

almard
04-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Free squat is the best...BTW.. . Cave-Man I like your Avatar...remined me of something....where did you get it bro?...LOL

thaistyle
04-16-2009, 09:50 PM
squat rack all the way.

BrotherIron
05-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Def listen to everyone and join the one with a Squat Rack you can Squat, Deadlift, Push Press, Power Clean, etc. If that gym is a little bit more hardcore go there and incorporate power/power/oly movements and you'll be MUCH better in the long run. They may even have chalk for you to use.

Sistersteel
05-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Smith machine...what's that?

BK
05-04-2009, 01:05 AM
Smith machine...what's that?
A machine invented by Smith.:D

NTBB
05-04-2009, 01:47 AM
Def listen to everyone and join the one with a Squat Rack you can Squat, Deadlift, Push Press, Power Clean, etc. If that gym is a little bit more hardcore go there and incorporate power/power/oly movements and you'll be MUCH better in the long run. They may even have chalk for you to use.

x2...squat, bench, deads and push press are the foundation for a physique. Can't perform these in a smith

pumpiron_rj
05-04-2009, 06:45 AM
I have built my legs on all smith squats for years, and so did Dorian....it can be done! Find what works for your body!

tjoe
05-04-2009, 08:51 AM
I have built my legs on all smith squats for years, and so did Dorian....it can be done! Find what works for your body!One little problem with that... you're in the PL/Strongman section!! No smith machine in any comp I've ever seen! Not to mention the OP is young and needs to get the basics down.

No smith machine!

Sistersteel
05-06-2009, 01:19 PM
I built my legs squatting ass to the floor in a cage and on an Olympic Weight Lifting platform.

Ditch the smith machine buddy.

Sistersteel
05-06-2009, 01:21 PM
A machine invented by Smith.:D

LMFAO!! I missed this one. Good one BK :)

HITstrongman
05-19-2009, 09:39 PM
I would definitely recommend using the squat rack. I used to go to a gym that only had a smith machine and no power rack. My knees were always super sore from the smith machine squats. The machine does not allow you to move in the natural flow of the motion, and if you are training heavy it can really mess up your joints.

realmccoy
06-07-2009, 02:03 AM
There has got to be a gym within 10-20 miles where you live that has a squat rack. If not I would serious think about starting your own home gym.

BK
06-07-2009, 02:19 AM
Sqauts and machine do not go together. If you cannot go to a new gym then do front squats (you'll have to clean the weight to your shoulders) or deadlifts with the bar behind you.

sassy69
06-07-2009, 03:49 AM
Smith machine is great if you are recovering from an injury and need a supported way to do lifts. Otherwise the squat rack will give you natural and functionally correct range of motion, and also force you to build your core via self-stabilization. Its too fundamental to allowto be replaced by something as contrived as a smith. If you have to you can even do curls at the squat rack.....

tjoe
06-07-2009, 07:49 AM
If you have to you can even do curls at the squat rack.....

Hahaha... Now that was funny!