PDA

View Full Version : the perfect strongman event

robert da strongman
03-03-2012, 08:57 AM
so seeing the strange yet stupid heavy appolons axle clean i got to thinking...smell smoke?

what would be the best set of events to make up a strongman competition? at worlds you see more cardio events, the arnold it is super heavy and static....

my challenge to you...come up with the most insane events. and no events that require teeth ot testicles, that's freaking weird!

Ryan Bracewell
03-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Deadlift for 5 events

Bryan Hildebrand
03-05-2012, 02:19 PM
how many events?

I would think 8 over 2 days.

modified deadlift of some sort like the hummer or gold coins

overhead press for max

overhead medley. multiple objects

pulling a heavy vehicle either hand over hand with a rope or traditional harness pull

heavy stone over bar

dumbbell press for reps

hussafelt stone

traditional atlas stones

robert da strongman
03-05-2012, 06:16 PM
5 events...

i personally like the silver dollar deadlift or bavarian deadlift, keg toss, stupid heavy farmers, press medley, atlas stones, truck pull

TXFatback
03-05-2012, 08:19 PM
I like the classics, truck pulls, tire deads and flips, stones, axle press, etc. I would love to see them do a mystery event or a whole contest with no event release beforehand. Just be strong and ready.

Ryan Bracewell
03-05-2012, 08:23 PM
See I hate truck pull in contests as a spectator but they are kinda fun as a competitor. It's just too slow of an event, so after the first few people go the interest is gone

TXFatback
03-05-2012, 09:32 PM
That's true, Ryan. I am speaking as a competitor, at least at one point, not a spectator. People are more impressed by seeing someone lift something to which they have a reference. A 350 ponud engine block being loaded will impress more everyday folks( not powerlifters) than a 800 pound dead. Spectators aren't always considered when planning events. I think that may be part of the appeal of crossfit, Joe Schmoe can't do one pull up, he can be impressed by somebody doing 50.

robert da strongman
03-06-2012, 08:05 AM
I like the classics, truck pulls, tire deads and flips, stones, axle press, etc. I would love to see them do a mystery event or a whole contest with no event release beforehand. Just be strong and ready.

I think Mike Johnston thinks the same...last time I checked there are no events listed for the europa in april.

robert da strongman
03-06-2012, 08:06 AM
See I hate truck pull in contests as a spectator but they are kinda fun as a competitor. It's just too slow of an event, so after the first few people go the interest is gone

I always enjoyed watching truck pulls. Most comps I have been to with truck pulls, were done first and the crowds loved it

robert da strongman
03-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Did a comp back in the day and the events were...

Tire flip medley 800,1150,1350
Tire farmer walk 700
Field stone press max
Bavarian deadlift max
Odd object load atlas stone, 2 field stones, tree trunk, tractor tire insert

Ryan Bracewell
03-06-2012, 09:20 AM
I think Mike Johnston thinks the same...last time I checked there are no events listed for the europa in april.

Robert those events have been posted for a while now. I know you can see them on the ASC site under events. You have to use Internet explor for the hyperlink on each contest to work for some reason. When I use Firefox it shows the events but no link to click on

iPhone doesn't work either

Off top of my head.
Day 1
Last man standing axle
Stone over bar
Day2
Farmers 50ft
Yoke 50ft
Dead carry dragedley
?????!?

TXFatback
03-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Tom Kaufman used to have a mystery event at Beast of the East that always kept people on their toes. One year it was an overhead with suspended weights from a yoke( I think). Killer on stability. It wouldn't surprise me if Mike did a show with no events forecast, hes big on just be fucking strong and it'll all work out.

robert da strongman
03-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Robert those events have been posted for a while now. I know you can see them on the ASC site under events. You have to use Internet explor for the hyperlink on each contest to work for some reason. When I use Firefox it shows the events but no link to click on

iPhone doesn't work either

Off top of my head.
Day 1
Last man standing axle
Stone over bar
Day2
Farmers 50ft
Yoke 50ft
Dead carry dragedley
?????!?

No shit?!? Are there weights listed?

You doing this one Ryan?

robert da strongman
03-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Tom Kaufman used to have a mystery event at Beast of the East that always kept people on their toes. One year it was an overhead with suspended weights from a yoke( I think). Killer on stability. It wouldn't surprise me if Mike did a show with no events forecast, hes big on just be fucking strong and it'll all work out.

Nasty...

I kinda agree with Mike. You should be ready for the comp

Ryan Bracewell
03-06-2012, 10:42 AM
No shit?!? Are there weights listed?

You doing this one Ryan?

At the moment it's an Am only plat+

I'm doing Shreveport which is a pro-am, and ASM for sure. If Dallas turns into a pro-am will prob do that too bc its so close

robert da strongman
03-06-2012, 10:46 AM
At the moment it's an Am only plat+

I'm doing Shreveport which is a pro-am, and ASM for sure. If Dallas turns into a pro-am will prob do that too bc its so close

damn I was looking forward to seeing some pros competing.

Good luck at the shreveport comp

Steelwolf
03-06-2012, 11:33 AM
I love pulling events or static events, those were always my favorite

robert da strongman
03-06-2012, 11:35 AM
I love pulling events or static events, those were always my favorite

Which ones? Details...

fudo myo
03-06-2012, 05:24 PM
truck pulls are better if you have athletes your routing for--so you can really get pissed when they miss it by 2 seconds. keg toss is always cool cause there is such a visible risk that the audience can recognize-- you hear the klank of it hit and everybody holds there breath.

Steelwolf
03-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Which ones? Details...
I left strongman for martial arts (hung gar) we are known as a strength system, we have some pretty cool static stuff that we do as part of our training that I think would make awesome events. The traditional static holds are so boring, but what about a static hold with an awkward object as we do. How about a sledge hammer with the weight facing forward. It is a large test of strength, but doesnt look as cool. It will throw a lot off.

For pulls I have always loved the semi truck pulls on a large scale, or the trailer on a local scale. Neck pulls for vehicle pulls are pretty cool, last year I pulled my SUV with a neck harness at 188lbs

prostrongmanzack
03-17-2012, 09:23 PM
On occasion I have to explain strongman to people and when I do I break it into 5 event "types"
1. Moving (including Medley)
2. Grip
3. Static
4. Loading
5. Pressing

When I break this down I tell them that there are these different types of abilities and some events only test one of the above, others test multiple categories. I think any type of "PERFECT" contest would have to weigh all of these evenly. Therefore a 5 or 10 even contest would be ideal. Field of no more than 12. Any less could make the show one sided and any more could knock a legitiamite contender out for maybe a silly mistake.

1.Farmers (long distance med weight)

2. Tire 100ft

3. Car DL 90second max reps

4. Max stone over bar

5. Log Clean and Press Max (Log is my LEAST favorite event but I think it is a staple of strongman)

I'd also like to add Yoke, a medley, and maybe one of two other signature events but If I had to do 5 these would be it.

robert da strongman
03-18-2012, 09:04 AM
A friend of mine broke down the events in the same way. All comps should have those 5 types

rickiii
04-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Sort of on topic, and sort of off topic...

Would be nice if ALL competitions would be setup in a way that allows the spectators to see what is going on.

TXFatback
04-14-2012, 09:41 AM
After reading this thread again, I gave another thought to the perfect event. A perfect event would be one spectators can identify with. I know one year at a pro show in Charlotte, they loaded engine blocks. That is something fans in Charlotte could identify with and say holy shit, I use a winch for that.

rickiii
04-14-2012, 10:14 AM
After reading this thread again, I gave another thought to the perfect event. A perfect event would be one spectators can identify with. I know one year at a pro show in Charlotte, they loaded engine blocks. That is something fans in Charlotte could identify with and say holy shit, I use a winch for that.

That is pretty cool. It is different, and it hits with a local thing. I think that is a great take on setting up an event

Let's see, what is Florida known for right now.

Disney
HRT clinics
Oxycontin Pill Mills
Zimemrman

Bryan Hildebrand
04-14-2012, 12:21 PM
so in that breath:

A treadmill event that creates electricity to severely shock zimmerman in the nuts.

A "Punch Mickey in the face event". enough said.

Oxy and meth manufacturer toss. how high and how far.

HRT clinics sponsored girls in lingerie after hours event. free viagara samples for competitors!

rickiii
04-15-2012, 08:25 AM
so in that breath:

A treadmill event that creates electricity to severely shock zimmerman in the nuts.

A "Punch Mickey in the face event". enough said.

Oxy and meth manufacturer toss. how high and how far.

HRT clinics sponsored girls in lingerie after hours event. free viagara samples for competitors!

We may be on to something.