PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Chicken in a Crock Pot

BigJD69
03-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Starting to diet on Monday and was thinking about cooking my chicken breast in a Crock Pot. Does anyone have any recipes to share???

ManimalPatB
03-04-2012, 10:34 AM
If you are doing carbs:

-You could get some low sodium chicken bouillon cubes, throw in some potatoes, a little bit of pepper, (or even Mrs. Dash Chicken seasoning) and then you get your carbs and chicken in one meal and it comes out like a nice little soup

If you are not doing carbs and just want some chicken:

-I usually do this with my beef. I will throw in an onion and a pepper (diced up), throw in some EVOO, little bit of pepper and then everything cooks and meshes together

One thing to remember:

Always put like 1 or 2 cups of water in the bottom to keep everything moist and it won't dry out.

That's what I have done in the past. Anyone else have an recipes?

Just did a quick google search and this popped up:

http://www.crockpotchicken.net/

BC123Jm
03-04-2012, 11:04 AM
i cook all my chicken in the crock pot. i just put 6lbs of chicken and some water. cook on high for 4 hours.
no need to add anything, just add whatever you want when you weigh it out and are ready to eat it.

BigJD69
03-04-2012, 11:41 AM
THANKS Guys!!!

floridairon
03-04-2012, 05:05 PM
I just got a crock pot in Oct for my birthday and its the only way I cook my chicken now! So much better than oven or grilled to me.

I do use these things called crock liners, its pretty much a plastic bag that lines your crock pot, a 4 pack is like $3 at wal-mart and its makes clean up so easy, just cook the food and pick the bag out and toss it! Ive yet to actually clean my crock pot since I got it.

I just put how ever much I want for the week (8-10) breast, throw alil seasonings like garlic, basil or whatever, put alil bit of olive oil on top of the chciken. I set it for 8 hrs on low overnight and when I wake up I literally have to use a spoon to scoop the chciken its just falls apart its so moist and juicy!

Friendly Milkshake
03-05-2012, 01:47 AM
I just got a crock pot in Oct for my birthday and its the only way I cook my chicken now! So much better than oven or grilled to me.

I do use these things called crock liners, its pretty much a plastic bag that lines your crock pot, a 4 pack is like $3 at wal-mart and its makes clean up so easy, just cook the food and pick the bag out and toss it! Ive yet to actually clean my crock pot since I got it.

I just put how ever much I want for the week (8-10) breast, throw alil seasonings like garlic, basil or whatever, put alil bit of olive oil on top of the chciken. I set it for 8 hrs on low overnight and when I wake up I literally have to use a spoon to scoop the chciken its just falls apart its so moist and juicy!

how much water?

stephaniewicked
03-05-2012, 05:12 AM
i cook all my chicken in the crock pot. i just put 6lbs of chicken and some water. cook on high for 4 hours.
no need to add anything, just add whatever you want when you weigh it out and are ready to eat it.

This is EXACTLY what I do. LOVE it! Very little prep time, Chicken is always moist and after it's weighed, I just add some hot sauce and BOOM... ready to eat!

stephaniewicked
03-05-2012, 05:17 AM
how much water?

I add enough to make sure the chicken is completely submerged.

I throw the breasts in without trimming them or anything. After it's cooked, I dump it into a strainer and rinse the chicken to separate the fatty/stringy parts from the meat and then throw it in a container in the fridge and portion it out as I need it.

It's my favorite way to eat chicken now. I don't know what I'd do without my crockpot. Does wonders for beef too! I often have steak and sweet potatoes the last day or so before a show, but it's difficult to chew/swallow dry beef (especially when my mouth is dry from lack of water)... cooking it in the crockpot solved that issue for me!

Rawstrength
03-05-2012, 08:18 AM
If you are doing carbs:

-You could get some low sodium chicken bouillon cubes, throw in some potatoes, a little bit of pepper, (or even Mrs. Dash Chicken seasoning) and then you get your carbs and chicken in one meal and it comes out like a nice little soup

If you are not doing carbs and just want some chicken:

-I usually do this with my beef. I will throw in an onion and a pepper (diced up), throw in some EVOO, little bit of pepper and then everything cooks and meshes together

One thing to remember:

Always put like 1 or 2 cups of water in the bottom to keep everything moist and it won't dry out.

That's what I have done in the past. Anyone else have an recipes?

Just did a quick google search and this popped up:

http://www.crockpotchicken.net/

Great website!

Thanks for sharing it

floridairon
03-05-2012, 09:10 AM
how much water?

I actually dont add any water! I tryed adding about a cup and it was just mush, just trim the chicken, season them, toss alil bit of olive oil (1-2 tbpn) put the lid on and go to bed! done and DONE!

Jer
03-05-2012, 11:58 AM
I usually grill chicken 2-3 days a week, maybe i'll try this to mix it up a bit.

ManimalPatB
03-05-2012, 10:44 PM
http://www.crock-pot.com/recipes.aspx

Here is another site that looks pretty good. It lets you pick your meats and what country you'd like to be inspired by lmao

Just another one to check out

BigJD69
03-06-2012, 10:19 AM
THANKS to all that shared REPS all around!!! I cooked my chicken in the croc pot yesterday and it was so tender it was falling apart. I used 1 cup of no sodium chicken broth and 1 cup of water. Gonna check out ManimalPatB's websites!!!

maximusmac
03-06-2012, 12:03 PM
1lbs chicken
1 cup Hot sauce
1 packet of powdered ranch dressing (if on a tight diet the ranch may not work)
Cook 6-7 hours on low.

Friendly Milkshake
03-07-2012, 01:55 AM
1lbs chicken
1 cup Hot sauce
1 packet of powdered ranch dressing (if on a tight diet the ranch may not work)
Cook 6-7 hours on low.

what kinda hot sauce ? franks? tapatio?

Hit-Girl
03-07-2012, 03:03 AM
I actually dont add any water! I tryed adding about a cup and it was just mush, just trim the chicken, season them, toss alil bit of olive oil (1-2 tbpn) put the lid on and go to bed! done and DONE!
Ya some hate that mushy feel you can get from a long cook in a crock pot. I like less water too. Also Brining the day before , and then pounding flat and grilling until it's cooked. I find grilling on high heat with a big flatted even 1/2 inch breast get the best taste.

floridairon
03-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Ya some hate that mushy feel you can get from a long cook in a crock pot. I like less water too. Also Brining the day before , and then pounding flat and grilling until it's cooked. I find grilling on high heat with a big flatted even 1/2 inch breast get the best taste.

That sounds good, I'll try it out.

For a while I would grill my chicken for afew min each side on a hot grill them take them off and throw them in the over to finish cooking. I was some of the juiciest chicken I've ever had but from grill prep to finish in the over it was a long process... But still do it every now and them on weekends

sandi_stuart
03-07-2012, 03:14 PM
I cook all my chicken this way. I don't even defrost it. It cooks just fine frozen with no water. I add a pack of good seasons Italian dry dressing mix or a jar of salsa. Flank steak is also great in the crock pot, but it has to be thawed first. Add just enough salsa to cover, and you can shred it with a fork when it is done.

daft205
03-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Man I pretty much always BBQ my chicken but I've been meaning to pick up a crock pot so I could "set it and forget it" and I think this thread has convinced me I need to pick one up- some great ideas in here! Question- anyone use whole chickens in their crockpots? If so how's it come out?

ManimalPatB
03-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Man I pretty much always BBQ my chicken but I've been meaning to pick up a crock pot so I could "set it and forget it" and I think this thread has convinced me I need to pick one up- some great ideas in here! Question- anyone use whole chickens in their crockpots? If so how's it come out?

I actually know some people that use whole chickens and they cook it and all the chicken falls off the bone (which could be easier to get the bones out) I've never tried it myself but I don't see why it wouldn't work you know

floridairon
03-08-2012, 10:55 PM
^^^
That a good idea to start a chicken chili or soup.

One of my clients just bought a rotisserie and he said he throws a whole chicken in, comes to train with me and hits cardio and he comes home to a fresh rotisserie chicken! I could do that every damn day!

showstopper88
03-08-2012, 11:18 PM
Whole chicken, sweet onion, mushrooms, white or sweet potato, celery, carrot, low sodium bullion cubes and water in crock pot. Add whatever seasoning you want. It's some good ish!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maximusmac
03-09-2012, 06:32 AM
what kinda hot sauce ? franks? tapatio?

I use franks, but use the one you like the best. The first time I made it I used a whole bottle of hot wing sauce..well let's put it this way a few hours later I needed some Chapstick and a rabbit if you know what I mean.

ManimalPatB
03-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Here's what I am going to prepare this weekend:

-5 lbs of chicken (with all the fat cut off)
-1 Cup of Brown Rice (dry measure)
-1 Can of Low Fat Cream of Chicken Soup Mix
-1 Can of Water

Might throw in some pepper, some crushed red pepper, a little bit of hot sauce

Let it cook ALL DAY on low and maybe with the last hour throw in some Broccoli

This will give me a quick meal to add in for this week!!!

Would anybody add anything else? Or Change anything? Love to hear some other opinions!!!!

floridairon
03-09-2012, 10:31 PM

-1 Can of Water

Would anybody add anything else? Or Change anything? Love to hear some other opinions!!!!

Sounds good! Id def add some green like spinach or green beans instead of broccoli but Im just broccoli'd out right now I couldnt eat any more lol

Suzanne
03-10-2012, 01:41 AM
We have been doing all our chicken in crock pot for about a year now. So much easier! 12lbs at a time

I put bit of water in the bottom layer of chicken season with Tony Chesheray (sp) Creole, layer chicken, season...then cover with water, pick cook by probe set temp for 180 and walk away. the chicken just falls apart

BigJD69
03-10-2012, 09:22 AM
The other night my wife didn't let the chicken cook the full 4hrs and it didn't come out right, it was a bit tough!

floridairon
03-10-2012, 07:40 PM
I promise its worth it to set it over night for 7-8 hours, it will just fall apart in the morning

daft205
03-13-2012, 01:05 PM
I actually know some people that use whole chickens and they cook it and all the chicken falls off the bone (which could be easier to get the bones out) I've never tried it myself but I don't see why it wouldn't work you know
Sweet! Yeah I'm definitely picking up a crock pot. It be nice set the quinoa in the rice cooker, chicken in the crockpot- take of for few hours and come home to hot meal- gotta love that!

TheDarkHalf
03-14-2012, 12:35 AM
I love making what I call tex-Mexico chicken in the crock. Basically just black beans, salsa, and chicken. (and of course anything else you want to add). I usually serve it over brown rice that I cook separately.

ManimalPatB
03-14-2012, 08:42 PM

-1 Can of Water

THIS CAME OUT FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!! BTW

I used Spinach instead of Brocolli and man it is AWESOME!!! Throw it in the tupperwear and BOOM already got a meal setup for work

Just throw on some Frank's Red hot and man I am in Heaven!!

Next time I need to either use more rice or let it cook longer, my rice didn't fully cook (probably my fault because I was so hungry it eat it on Sunday!!!

BC123Jm
03-15-2012, 12:22 AM
^^^^ how do you measure it out properly mixing it all together like that?

daft205
03-15-2012, 04:15 AM
Yeah that would definitely make it difficult, right? I'd like to
try something similiar but maybe make the rice portion in a rice cooker and keep the chicken relatively plain in the crook pot. Once cooked you could measure and mix appropriately to better track macro content.

BigJD69
03-15-2012, 10:57 AM
I promise its worth it to set it over night for 7-8 hours, it will just fall apart in the morning

Are you saying after it's done cooking to leave it in the crock pot over night? or once it cools down put it in a tupperware then leave it out all night?

floridairon
03-15-2012, 02:37 PM
The crock pot I have it turns to a "warm" setting once the cooking time is done, so I just throw my chicken or whatever in at night 9-10pm and set it on low for 8 hours and when I get up the next morning its done and just throw it in some tupperware and my whole house smells like CHICKEN!!! which I love and my gf hates :dunno:

IDK if all crock pots have that feature but its worth it to get one that just switches to warm after cooking.

BlueBaron
05-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Glad i read through this post, i always bake or grill my chicken. i've never tried it in a crock pot before.

ManimalPatB
05-11-2012, 10:25 PM

I actually took your advice and cooked it separately. It has made it so much easier.

Thank you good sir, for finding the error in my cooking ways!!!

georgeman22
08-03-2012, 05:07 PM
I love chicken i never tried this type of recipe before. Now i will absolutely try it. :) Thanks.

jnickels
09-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Goodbye george foreman grill! lol I hate cooking chicken every damn night. I like the black beans, salsa and chicken idea...going to prep it now. Thanks all!

Mr.Dedication
09-24-2012, 12:06 AM
crock pot vs. the oven.

Which one would be better?

floridairon
09-25-2012, 08:21 PM
By far crock pot. If your weighting your chicken it's so much easier to cook it in the crock pot and shred it up and weight it.

TheRage93
01-18-2013, 10:00 AM
Nothing special. I just throw water, chicken, seasonings, potatoes, veggies, sometimes rice. I keep it simple Nd boring! Lol. Tastes good though.