PDA

View Full Version : Be your own leader!!

BrianNassar
04-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Natural can be Extreme

People seem to think that “natural” bodybuilding or powerlifting is not hardcore. I am here to tell all you non-believers; GET REAL!! See I know both sides of this game, since I’ve played them both. I won the 1995 Muscular Development Natural Regional as a MW, and I placed 2nd while I was “on” in my State show back in 1997 as a LHW. To be honest I was much tighter when I was clean. Holding water was never a problem when I was natural.

One of my “staples” during my gear experiment was a 30 cc bottle of Norandren 50. I had used about half the bottle when I noticed little objects floating around in the oil! See I had always injected at night so I never bothered to look through the tinted glass with the sunlight. I ended up with pneumonia and they wanted to put me in the hospital, but I had no medical insurance back then, so I hammered NAC and Goldenseal for 3 days and believe it or not, it really did help clean me out. Right after that episode I became engaged to my wife and decided to stay off anything black-market. I was scared shitless! I still have no idea what the fuck I was putting directly in to my ass! Luckily all my blood tests have been normal for the last 10 years.

The funny thing is I am stronger and bigger now than I ever was on the gear. I have to train smarter and with more intensity than when I was on. Being natural means you can’t be Mr. Olympia I know, but my physique is more developed than most of the “Gear Heads” at my gym. I have nothing against any athlete who uses juice; I would be a total hypocrite if I did. What I am saying is that some people can take enough shit to kill a horse and still bench 225 for 3 while looking like a piece of shit. It takes more than drugs to build a championship physique. Training smart is the first step.

How I changed my training to be an Extreme Natural.

Most of you already know how, but are stuck in your current routine and afraid to experiment. Don’t be!! See, most of us cannot tolerate the daily pounding of the body like bigger boned guys can. You know the classic meso-morph body type. Look at the skinniest guys in your gym, more times than not they are also there the longest. To go to a further extreme look at the physique of a sprinter compared to one of those sickly looking tri-athletes! There are some sprinters out there who are totally shredded! Now lets get back to how that can work in the favor of natural training.YES- LESS IS BEST!! It sounds to simple but it is true! I’m a huge believer in the basics above all.

Natural guys have to lift big using the famous Big 3: Squat-Bench-Deadlift. Those exercises force your body to produce the growth producing hormones. Why do you think there is never a line for the squat rack? Because they are brutally tough, both physically and mentally. You also have to concentrate more, and the fear factor comes in to play. Sitting down on that comfortable padded leg press is a pretty easy exercise. You can’t fall off and you have safety pins if you can’t move the weight. Now put an amount of weight that is heavy for you on the bar. When that bar is fully loaded and on your back with you doing all the balancing, your heart begins to race and the sweat factory goes in to overdrive. See there is that fear of falling or getting stuck at the bottom, I believe that this “fear” helps us grow. There is no way possible that you can utter out a word while doing the last couple sets of tough squats! The same applies with the deadlift. You have to use your entire body to get that weight off the ground. I’ve seen some powerlifters who have never touched a lat pull-down with lats any bodybuilder would love to have! Here is the Natural Extreme Program that gave me these personal bests drug-free, 630 Squat, 515 Bench, 600 Deadlift (all in competition):

Day 1

Flat Bench/Dips: 3 sets 2-5 reps
Close Grip Bench: 2 sets 5 reps
Shoulder Press: 3 sets 5-10 reps

Day 2

Squats/Trap Bar Squats: 3 sets 3-10 reps
Partial Deadlifts: 3 sets 5 reps
Pull-Ups: 3 sets own weight max reps

Day 3
There is no day 3!!

I would train twice a week using the above routine. Some times I only trained once a week if my school schedule was to demanding that particular week! Sounds crazy doesn’t it? That’s what I thought to until my bench went through the roof. My other 2 lifts are lagging because of back surgery on a ruptured disc at the L-5,S-1 vertebrae that I received courtesy of the Army. Hitting the ground after jumping out of a jet is not pleasant to say the least! But I’m pretty proud of my 600’s considering the doc told me to retire from lifting!

This is only one example of an abbreviated routine. There are many more, depending on your natural leverages, career, etc. I discovered this through trial and much error. Natural lifters might not be able to recover as fast but we can still train like fucking freaks!

Now my main concern is to get in my all-time best shape ever. I turn 38 in 4 days. I don’t want to look like most of my peers! I figured if I don’t start losing this extra fat now I might never! So now I have incorporated cardio at a max 3 times per week. I’m training for a bodybuilding show but I still train for power. I’m also incorporating some shoulder press work to help my bench total. I’m not a big believer in “angle training” or pec-decs for those chest cuts. Come on! Your body doesn’t say: “Oh, he’s doing cable crossovers now, we better put the strariations back in his chest!” It’s diet that brings out the cuts plus your genetics, not what fancy equipment you use. Take Dorian’s back for example, that thing was awesome sick!! You never saw him doing pussy exercises!

He took his fantastic genetics to their limits through hard brief intense workouts. People counter with, yeah but he tore his body apart! Well so have other lifters who use light weights, like Vince Taylor popped a biceps warming up with 30-pound dumbbells!

Alright back to being an Extreme Natural I don’t mean training without any supplement aids, or being a preacher for the natural cause like some of these freaks do. When I say extreme I mean train like an animal, eat like an intelligent animal, and never give up! Use every legal edge you can get your hands on. My goal is to prove that you can have a freakish physique using abbreviated training and being natural. I have not been this motivated since the first time that I picked up a weight and it fell on my chest! That was 20 years ago. Holy shit - I might have to start acting like an adult soon. (Probably not!!)

Wheels
04-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Thanks for that, your avi is impressive.

I am also natural, and have found abbreviated routines to work best, though I definitely do more than the above protocol. Natural athletes need to keep in mind that their recovery is not going to be equivalent to that of their enhanced brethren. Following a routine from a pro in a magazine is often a death sentence for your typical natural. High Volume can lead to an over trained state very easily. However, that's not to say Volume won't work for a natural athlete.

Abbreviated routines can also be taken to the extreme, though. Mentzer, imo, was falling off the sanity wagon towards the end of his life. Recovery is important, yes, but you need to do enough work to stimulate growth otherwise your body will have no reason to keep the muscle you have accrued.

As always, experiment and find out what works best for you.

BrianNassar
04-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks for that, your avi is impressive.

I am also natural, and have found abbreviated routines to work best, though I definitely do more than the above protocol. Natural athletes need to keep in mind that their recovery is not going to be equivalent to that of their enhanced brethren. Following a routine from a pro in a magazine is often a death sentence for your typical natural. High Volume can lead to an over trained state very easily. However, that's not to say Volume won't work for a natural athlete.

Abbreviated routines can also be taken to the extreme, though. Mentzer, imo, was falling off the sanity wagon towards the end of his life. Recovery is important, yes, but you need to do enough work to stimulate growth otherwise your body will have no reason to keep the muscle you have accrued.

As always, experiment and find out what works best for you.

I agree with you for sure - I'm just sick of some of these "latest and greatest" training systems with all of their goofy names. :mad:

SUMO
04-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Just wanted to bump this thread. Some good info, and a good routine, right here.

The Big Sexy
04-20-2009, 03:21 PM
I definitely agree - if you are natural and you do things right - you can be just as extreme as anyone else.

Moreover, people who use gear - many of them - tend to use it as a crutch, rather than as a tool... they tend to work (not everyone) less hard because they figure the gear will bring up the slack... they diet less hard because they are "on"... when, they should be busting their tail to be as conditioned as possible.

It's great you see this - and have chosen the path you have. I have some deep respect for you.

BrianNassar
04-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Thank you brothers!!!!!

JohnnyMuscles
04-25-2009, 09:28 PM
I LOVE what you have to say. Inspires me to stay natural and lift heavier and harder than ever!!!! I have a problem though I LOVE to overtrain do tons of volume and go to the gym many times a week sometimes I go like 6 days sometimes 7 but at least 4. Sometimes I go in the morning and then at night lol. I also do a lot of sets. I know that it's probably holding me back but unless I train a lot I don't feel like I worked out. Doing 10 sets isn't going to even make me break a sweat. I'm pretty sure I train pretty intense, and the gym is such a great stress reliever for me and helps me get through my life. I feel like I need to train so bad! I look forward to it all day sometimes; I can't imagine only going to the gym like 1 or 2 days a week. I'm no genetic freak by any stretch but after like ten years of working out my best lifts are 495 squat, 405 bench, 465 470 deadlift. Don't think the 470 would have counted in competition. The day I did the 405 bench I was really strong not sure I could do it again. Anyway would love to hear more about your thoughts of how to get bigger and stronger naturally and how to break my crazy desire to overtrain! Lol Thanks :)

BrianNassar
04-26-2009, 04:09 PM
I LOVE what you have to say. Inspires me to stay natural and lift heavier and harder than ever!!!! I have a problem though I LOVE to overtrain do tons of volume and go to the gym many times a week sometimes I go like 6 days sometimes 7 but at least 4. Sometimes I go in the morning and then at night lol. I also do a lot of sets. I know that it's probably holding me back but unless I train a lot I don't feel like I worked out. Doing 10 sets isn't going to even make me break a sweat. I'm pretty sure I train pretty intense, and the gym is such a great stress reliever for me and helps me get through my life. I feel like I need to train so bad! I look forward to it all day sometimes; I can't imagine only going to the gym like 1 or 2 days a week. I'm no genetic freak by any stretch but after like ten years of working out my best lifts are 495 squat, 405 bench, 465 470 deadlift. Don't think the 470 would have counted in competition. The day I did the 405 bench I was really strong not sure I could do it again. Anyway would love to hear more about your thoughts of how to get bigger and stronger naturally and how to break my crazy desire to overtrain! Lol Thanks :)

Thanks for all the feedback!! Your lifts are awesome!!

I also LOVE to train - but after many years of experimenting on myself - I found that MY body needed the extra rest for making my best gains. It is very tough at times not to train, but I have disciplined myself not to give in to that "more is better" mantra. My results keep me grounded in the success in my training.

I'll add some more info soon!! :beerbang:

SUMO
04-27-2009, 01:57 PM

I also LOVE to train - but after many years of experimenting on myself - I found that MY body needed the extra rest for making my best gains. It is very tough at times not to train, but I have disciplined myself not to give in to that "more is better" mantra. My results keep me grounded in the success in my training.

I'm with you on the loving to train thing. I've always ended up overtraining before a competition, but this time I'm going to try something really unorthodox thanks to the message in this thread: Be your own leader.
To hell with all the super training methods and trying to follow what everyone else is doing.

JohnnyMuscles
04-27-2009, 08:45 PM

Thanks for the kind words I appreciate it :) I'm going to try my best to get close to your lifts! :bowdown: I'll try and cut back my volume. Maybe just go to more of a powerlifting type weekly workout and cut out some exercises. I do like a hybrid powerlifting/bodybuilding type workout now. Anyway looking forward to reading more!

BrianNassar
04-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Strongman and Powerlifting Strategies Primal Style

Most readers of this forum are not elite level athletes (yet), and like myself probably have been frustrated in the past with their training not producing the results they desire. I have tried pretty much every training system since I began lifting back in 1986. The one constant thing that I have learned is RECOVERY is the #1 priority after intense training for the genetically average and drug free trainees.

Especially regarding Strongman training, recovery and infrequent workout sessions are a must! The human body can only tolerate so much stress before all gains in strength and power cease to continue, and may decline due to over training. I know you’ve all heard this type of “abbreviated training” mantra before, but many lifters just gloss over the information, positive it possibly cannot work because most of the champions don’t train this way. I had the same thoughts until I was forced to train less…and I got stronger!!

Yes I know, there are bands, chains, equipment, drugs, supplements, training systems, ad infinitum out there that claim to be the end all be all of training success. But, each one of us has a different threshold of recovery ability. I have yet to find an unbiased empirical study on a training system in scientific literature out there. Finding a real study on hardcore weight training is like finding an honest before and after photo of those fat-burner ads!!

I’m not writing this article to put any training system down, or to report that my training ideas are superior to all other training modes. My thoughts are to give the non-genetically gifted, drug free strength trainee an option. In my 20 years of competing in bodybuilding, powerlifting, and now strongman, I have seen many fads come and go, including nutritional supplements and training programs. So you know that I’m not talking out of my ass, here is a quick background of my experiences. I have won several natural bodybuilding titles, was a certified personal trainer for over 10 years, and have competed in powerlifting winning my weight class at the state level many times. I’m ready to make the break for the Nationals now. I have also competed in the LW class (225 lbs. and below) in National amateur strongman competitions. Currently I have my Master Degree in Counseling/Mental Health, with post-graduate work specializing in abnormal mental health.

Before we start I just want to mention that this type of training program has worked for me and others that I have trained. I just want to share some of my training methods and opinions that I have found beneficial. First, the term “hardgainer” is one of the most abused terms in training literature today. Don’t believe that you are doomed to failure and classify yourself a hardgainer. Through much trial and error I have found a way of training that is producing results that have surpassed my expectations.

The toughest part of my current training program is not training! No matter what level of weight training a person is at, they will not grow or get stronger unless they recuperate, period. Many lifters rapidly speed up their ability to recover from workouts by utilizing drugs, but this article is geared towards drug free training applications. I am not judging or ostracizing those lifters who choose to use drugs to facilitate their training. That is a personal choice that each lifter must make for themselves.

There have been many training “gurus” since weight training began, and there still are many out there. All it takes is a charismatic individual to constantly take credit for their style of training making or producing the champions of their particular sport. It almost becomes a kind of gang warfare attitude with all the back biting that goes on behind the scenes. One constant about most training systems is that you are supposed to buy special apparatuses or use their “special” line of supplements. Now don’t get me wrong, there is much merit to many of the training philosophies out there today, but you have to pick through them and find what works FOR YOU, not what has worked for someone else. Don’t be afraid to experiment!!

One important aspect to training and competing is having the motivation and commitment to push through grueling workouts. I have had the opportunity to witness many competitors through the years. I’ve seen some incredible drive, perseverance, etc. in some and I’ve seen quit and doubt in others.

I’ll use my own experience in my first strongman competition. I competed in the NASS Missouri Strongest Man and I was pretty intimidated by the strength and amount of competitors present. I pushed myself to place 3rd in the Farmers’ Walk but I tripped at the finish line and crashed into the weights very hard. I felt out of sorts after the fall but pushed on through the rest of the events completing them all. It was only later that I learned I was competing with a slightly torn pec. Was it healthy to continue at that meet? Probably not. But isn’t it just as unhealthy not to believe in yourself and be a quitter? Strongman, powerlifting, and many other sports are you against yourself. PR’s are what matter. Pushing or crashing through barriers you previously thought were unattainable is what training and competition is all about. I’ve witnessed competitors pull out of meets because they could not place first or afraid of bombing out! For me competition is pushing myself past limits that I set for myself, not if I win a trophy. Alright I’ll get off my soapbox now.

Let’s get back to the training aspect of this article. For the average reader of this thread the formula is simple: Train hard, use the basics, and train infrequently. Don’t worry about what other lifters or your friends are doing in the gym. Find out what works for you, no matter how far from the norm of current training standards it turns out to be.
Here is an example of my current training for my next Strongman competition:

Day 1
Log Press – 3 sets
Partial Deadlift – 3 sets
Tire Flip – 1 set 100 ft.
Fat Bar Curls – 2 sets

Day 2
U.H. Weighted Pull-ups – 3 sets
Bench Press/Dips – 3 sets
Farmer’s Walk – 2 sets
Sled Pull – 2 sets

I take at least 3 days off in between each workout. If I have a very brutal and intense session I might only train with weights once a week. Towards the end of my training cycle I will train all of the events that will be in the strongman competition on Saturdays. This helps prepare my body for the demand of the actual competition. On Wednesdays I’ll do light sled pulls to increase my endurance and cardio ability. If I’m still sore, I’ll just bike or walk on Wednesdays. That’s right, sometimes I only train once per week! I’m not writing about my personal workouts to bore you. I’m trying to show you that you can get great results from abbreviated training, whether that is strongman or powerlifting.

I have tried to increase my training sessions many times to keep up with my training partners, and every time I have just beaten my body down and lost strength. When I cut back my training, but kept the intensity high, my strength skyrocketed! I have a small bone structure, but I’m still gaining strength and power each year. Don’t let the “experts” tell you that you don’t have the genetics to be strong!

Recently, due to time and scheduling constraints, I had to take an 8-day lay off. I hit a personal record with the ‘fat bar’ bench press using 475 pounds (hey, that is a lot for me). As you can see, I am not a believer in the 96 hour myth of losing strength and muscle mass that has been perpetuated in books and magazines for decades.
I have received some questions regarding my training methods always involving low reps with heavy weights, and if it causes tendon problems. Since I train intensely but infrequently, my joints received plenty of recovery time. I do not adhere to the periodization programs that many experts endorse. Periodization was used extensively in the former eastern block countries, basically for the purpose of coinciding with weight lifters drug cycles. When they were ‘off’, they trained lighter, and then as they were in mid ‘supplement’ cycle, they were able to train much heavier. Not only that, but these athletes did not have jobs, and had their entire year of training planned for them. How many of us can plan our workouts weeks in advance? We have obligations such as jobs, families, school, and illnesses to consider. But back to answering the question about joint problems relevant to my style of training; when I feel a small twinge or ache, I just don’t max out for a week or so, depending on how I feel. Yes, I know it sounds simple…because it is!
Why should anyone listen to what I have to say? Because I am just like most of you. I wasn’t born a strongman or a powerlifter. I had to work and experiment diligently to obtain my current level of strength. I am 5’-10” and a very lean 200 pounds, drug free with the bone structure of a 12-year-old girl (well, okay I am exaggerating a bit). I was always the little skinny kid in school. So, through trial and error, I have overcome my genetics and live my dream of competing in strength sports.
Now, regarding the title of this article, let’s see how some strongman training can improve your powerlifting. The first event is the tire flip. This exercise works the entire body by increasing not only your core strength, but your endurance as well. You might ask; what can a powerlifter do with better cardiovascular capability? Being able to utilize oxygen more proficiently will allow you to recover quicker after max lifts and will give you a huge advantage during competitions. This especially holds true at many national meets where the lifter is against the clock and is very rushed between max attempts.
The first step in completing a tire flip is to squat down and grab the bottom of the tire with an underhand grip, legs inside your arms, and chest and chin pressed against the tire. Once you get the tire half way up, you kick up one knee under the tire while switching to an overhand grip. Then you continue to push the tire over. This exercise works every muscle in your body from your calves to your traps. The training goal of this exercise is to keep flipping the tire for a max distance, which works the body aerobically and anaerobic. First work on technique, then you can practice for speed. A word of caution about tire flips – many strongmen have become injured by the tire falling back on them. You should always use caution, train with a partner, and also try using a smaller tire until you learn the technique. I train with a 725-pound tire for a distance of 100 feet in my driveway. After a good workout with the tire, I feel like I have just sprinted at max speed for 400 meters. To find tires of different sizes in your area, check the yellow pages for junkyards, tire disposal or construction companies. Many times they will give you an old tire as long as you have the means to remove and transport it. Another awesome exercise to incorporate into your training is the farmer walk static hold. Instead of walking with the farmers walk implements, you just pick them up and hold them for as long as possible. The best way to do this exercise is by placing the farmers walk implements on stacked cinder blocks or something similar so you don’t have to pull the handles from the floor. You’ll have to practice to find your starting weight. Once you can stand up and hold the weight in each hand for 30 seconds or so, add more weight. Most farmers walk implements have smooth thick handles, so be sure to chalk up. My training partner would yell, “Squeeze dents in the bar”! That’s it. Just feel the pain and squeeze until you can squeeze no more. Since incorporating the static holds into my training, my deadlift grip has improved dramatically. Give it a try and see for yourself.

JohnnyMuscles
04-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the article, I need to start thinking that " less is more" probably get more reslults that way. Being a really intense person it's hard for me to think like that but I will try! As far as doing strongman stuff I will try some of it in the summer. Sometimes in the gym I do the Farmers walk I think that's what it's called, when you pick up a pair of heavy dumbells and see how far you can walk. Anyway thanks for article :)

JohnnyMuscles
04-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Brian - I was wondering what supplements do you think are essential for the natural bodybuilder/powerlifter and which ones are total BS? Thanks

BrianNassar
04-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Brian - I was wondering what supplements do you think are essential for the natural bodybuilder/powerlifter and which ones are total BS? Thanks

Thanks for the feedback!! At least a few people like my writing! LOL!

Here are the exact supplements I am taking right now:

1. Performance and Vitality Vitapak by GNC
2. Prime
3. NO Shotgun and NO Synthesize by VPX
4. Fish Oils
5. Super Foods by GNC (13 servings of fruits and veggies)
6. Zero Impact bars by VPX
7. Liver support caps
8. Rhodiola caps

Also since I work at GNC right now as a manger I get to try many supplements out. GNC makes the BEST vitamins and herbs hands down - and VPX still has the best pre and post workout supps!!

:beerbang:

JohnnyMuscles
04-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the feedback!! At least a few people like my writing! LOL!

Here are the exact supplements I am taking right now:

1. Performance and Vitality Vitapak by GNC
2. Prime
3. NO Shotgun and NO Synthesize by VPX
4. Fish Oils
5. Super Foods by GNC (13 servings of fruits and veggies)
6. Zero Impact bars by VPX
7. Liver support caps
8. Rhodiola caps

Also since I work at GNC right now as a manger I get to try many supplements out. GNC makes the BEST vitamins and herbs hands down - and VPX still has the best pre and post workout supps!!

:beerbang:

Hey - I like your writing keep it coming. Prime is the Test booster by USP labs that supposedly won't make you test positive for natural federation’s right? Funny thing I went to a GNC once and the guy that worked there told me not to buy NO shotgun that all it was was a ton of caffeine and that it was garbage lol.

BrianNassar
05-05-2009, 05:20 PM
First off I appreciate all of the emails regarding my writings thus far. Thank you!!

Okay - now I need to let go of some steam...

Yes I do have a Master degree and was working toward a PhD, but this rant will not be eloquent. :mad:

In the immortal words of HOUSE, "People crawl out of your holes!"

All of these 'new' training methods and fat loss programs that are flooding the internet in increasing numbers with ZERO empirical evidence what so ever - are making me crazy!! Well as a phychologist I'm "allowing" them to do so I suppose.

But come on! Am I the ONLY one that sees these methods as pure bull shit?!?:confused:

Call it whtever you want FSP7, TWY21, XYZ, etc. training - what ever!!!

Yes the athletes work hard to get where they are - that I have no question. But MANY times it is there "chemical wizard" that makes the difference between 1st and 5th!!! That is fact. Argue, disagree, whatever - but the truth is out there.

If you have half a brain (which I think I do) you can learn YOUR body and what works for YOU without some self proclaimed 'trainer or creator'!!!

I love these specialty programs to bring up lagging body parts...let's see...trtain that baody part even more with 7 reps...oooh how exact and scientific. Does that apply with gaining height as well?? I want to grow another inch - so I'm going to hang from a gym set for seven sets like little Bobby Brady did the Brady Bunch. Sounds stupid right?? BECAUSE IT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I gotta go and do my magic 7 training technique now. I think I can crack 5'11" if I train hard enough!!:D

Diggy
05-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Good read, thread subbed. You are preaching that gospel

*catches the holy ghost from your scriptures*
http://www.leestoneking.com/images/Truth/Holy_Ghost.jpg

BrianNassar
05-11-2009, 11:01 AM
I really like this quote from the creator of DOGGCRAPP...

"I think people have gotten me wrong over the years," Trudel wrote in a recent forum post. "I'm not trying to push DC training on anyone. I could give a crap how you train. I'm not making infomercials, books, or videos. So don't ask anyone to prove to you why you should be training [with DC]. They already proved to themselves why they want to keep training this way."

I love it!!!

JohnnyMuscles
05-14-2009, 05:10 PM
I hear you Brian sometimes people get caught up in the new training techniques, what guru to use, what to take before and after the gym that they forget the basics and that is to train hard! The rest will follow. Everyone's body is different and will respond to different things, doesn't hurt to try different training ideas there is no one right way.

BrianNassar
05-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Since Matt is on the current Powerlifting USA magazine cover I thought I would publish MY interview with him as well.

Brian,

Here you go buddy. Sorry this took me so long, I have just been stupid busy. Let me know if you need any pictures or anything like that. I have some good ones saved to my computer. Take care and let me know if you ever want to come out and train with us.

Matt

HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN COMPETING AND HOW DID YOU GET STARTED?

I just always had this desire to be big and strong. I remember at a very early age being impressed with size and strength and having a strong hunger to get that way myself. I had terrible genetics for gaining muscle and I was more of a natural runner. I ran an 18 minute 5k while in the Marines with the first mile of that being under five minutes. I had some natural athletic ability but was very skinny. The biggest advantage I had was a relentless desire to achieve my goals. I started training myself for track and field day in elementary school in third grade. I just decided one day that I wanted to be a winner and I knew I needed to work hard to achieve that. I ran timed half miles, sprints up sand hills and did pushups and chin ups and lifted makeshift weights for months leading up to track and field day. I did this all on my own with no coaching or support from anyone. My mom was actually concerned that I was going to hurt myself. I just wanted to win badly. That is what has always driven me and still drives me to this day. I love competition and thrive on it.

I started lifting consistently at age nine but I remember messing around with weights as young as age 6. I remember sneaking into the room where my dad had some weights and doing curls 10 reps with one arm and then 10 reps with the other until I had done 100 reps with both arms around age six. My first set of weights was milk jugs filled with sand and my first bench was a 2"x12" laid across two cinder blocks. A year or two later my dad made me some lead dumbbell plates from the lead he melted down from old car batteries. Finally when I was in fifth grade (age 11) I received a barbell set and bench for Christmas. Even though I trained hard and consistently over the next several years when freshman football came around I weighed a monstrous 118lbs! I told you my genetics were better suited for running. I did two high school powerlifting meets and got my butt kicked at both of them, I didn't even place. I did two more while in the Marines and then I started competing seriously when I got out of the Marines in December '95. I have averaged about three powerlifting competitions a year since then, including one bodybuilding show in '96 and a strongman competition in '99.

PLEASE TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOUR FAMILY, AND WHAT YOU DO FOR A LIVING.

I sell drugs for a living! lol! I am a pharmacist and I usually work the night shift at a 24 hour pharmacy. Unfortunately I work way too many hours and this greatly affects my sleep but I never use it as an excuse to miss training. Right now I am in the middle of working thirteen out of fourteen twelve hour days and that is not uncommon. Still at least my job is not physical so it doesn’t affect my recovery ability beyond the sleep aspect. My brother is an ironworker and has a very physically demanding job and has made great progress over the last several years and is on the verge of pulling an 800lb deadlift. I hate to hear people make excuses about work and why they can’t achieve their goals because of it. Simply put there are no real excuses only self imposed ones. All champions have overcome adversity to reach the top of their sport.

In regard to my family I am not proud to say I am divorced after ten years of marriage and I never wanted that or thought that it would happen to me. Still I have come to realize it was the best thing for everyone involved. I learned a lot from that experience and now I am happy to say I am dating an amazing girl that I believe is everything I have been looking for and I look forward to building our future together. I have three wonderful boys Logan age 9, Garrett age 7 and Maxx just turned 6. I love them more than anything in this world and one of my biggest goals in life is when they reach adulthood and are parents themselves and understand what it means to be a dad I want them to believe that they had the best dad in the world. Everyone thinks their dad is the best when they’re little but it isn’t until you’re in that position yourself that you truly understand what it means to be a great father.

I will be happy if they get into lifting and follow in my footsteps but more than that I just want them to happy well adjusted adults when they grow up. I learned growing up that trying to push anyone into something is counter productive. I have two younger brothers that next to my kids are closer to me than anyone in this world and I tried hard to make them like me but all I did was drive them away from it. When I was eighteen I took my youngest brother Chris (who was tweleve at the time) out running with me and ran him until he cried. It was about a three mile run and I wouldn’t let him walk. I yelled and screamed at him when he slowed down until he finally burst into tears. I thought I was helping him by toughening him up but really all I did was drive him away from athletics and make him feel weak. The problem was that I demanded a lot from myself and expected the same from others, especially from my brothers. I had a real problem seeing weakness in them and I was determined to help them drive it out of themselves. The problem was that they weren’t willing participants. I distinctly remember yelling encouragement (or so I thought at the time) to my other brother Kurt who is eighteen months younger than me during a half mile race in grade school. He was in third place and nearing the finish but a guy was closing in on him. I ran along side him and yelled at him to push hard to the end. He looked at me defiantly and started walking. Kurt is now also competing in powerlifting and has a phenomenal deadlift. We have almost come to blows more than once because of my pushing him excessively. He would see my displeasure in him or hear it in my words when I thought he was wussing out mentally and it made him furious. There has been more than once that the dukes have almost flown because of this. Undoubtedly he will be angry when he reads this just because he thinks I’m implying that he has any weakness within him.

I have learned to rein this in (well at least I try hard to) and to keep it internal and when and where it is helpful or harmful to encourage or insult training partners to help them improve. Very fortunately I learned this before I had my own sons and I am very cautious about this with them. They come out in my garage and mess around with my training equipment from time to time but I have never put any pressure on them what so ever. If they show an interest later on I will be full of encouragement but I am very careful never to force them into something. Having helped with youth wrestling and other sports this is unfortunately something I see all too often in many parents.

WHAT KEEPS YOU MOTIVATED TO CONTINUE LIFTING AND COMPETING?

The desire to achieve more, the desire to do something that no one else has ever done and the enjoyment I get from competing. I absolutely love to compete and thrive in those types of situations. My training partners provide me with challenges when I need them and I test myself frequently to push my limits. For anyone that has watched some of my youtube videos that is what my 40 rep drop set of squats was all about. Just putting myself in pain and challenging myself to persevere when it is difficult to do so. I plan crazy things from time to time to keep myself mentally tough. This includes things like very difficult training sessions that lead to vomiting and other methods of self imposed pain to strengthen the mind. Probably the craziest thing I have done (and I don’t recommend this) was to take a 3-4” long nail and drive it all the way into my arm with just my hands just to make myself withstand the pain. I dislike pain as much as anyone else but I have learned to be able to control it in most situations.

WHAT IS COMING UP IN YOUR FUTURE?

My main goal is to post the highest total ever in at least one weight class. Currently I am second all time in the 220s with 2414lbs and third in the 242s with 2463lbs. I really want to move into first in the 220s by totaling over 2500lbs but I am outgrowing that class and I feel it is holding my progress back by trying to remain there. I typically weigh around 250lbs with single digit body fat and I don’t think I can carry any more muscle and still make 220. I would give you numbers but those are constantly evolving all the time and I could give you what my goals are currently but they are likely going to be much loftier in the near future as my competitors continue to raise the bar.

I am interested in not only owning the highest totals ever but also putting up good numbers raw and in single ply competitions. I want to do well under all of the different standards of lifting but it is stiff competition that I enjoy most and currently a majority of the best lifters compete in the feds that have less restrictive gear rules.

WHAT IS A TYPICAL DIET AND SUPPLEMENT REGIMINE FOR YOU?

This is a typical day when I’m not working. Working days are similar just the times are different.
Breakfast 7am Almost always 2 cups whole oats measured dry, with two scoops of whey protein and 1 cup of skim milk but occasionally 5-6 pancakes made with vanilla whey protein and I like to add all natural peanut butter here and 1 quart of skim milk.
Snack 9-10am Protein shake mixed with a quart of skim milk. Approximately 6-700 calories and 70+ grams of protein.
Lunch-12-1pm 1lb of ground sirloin burgers, 1 cup fat free cottage cheese, and 1 quart of skim milk or 1 dozen eggs (whole) with onions, peppers and some kind of meat minced up.
Snack 4-5pm protein shake or 2 cups of fat free cottage cheese and one piece of fruit.
Immediately Post Training whey based protein shake mixed with waxy maize and 1 quart of skim milk.
1-2 hours after training 1lb of round steak or chicken breast with 2 red baked potatoes and 1 quart of skim milk.

COULD YOU SHARE HOW YOU TORE YOUR BICEPS AND ANY OTHER INJURIES, OPERATIONS, ETC.?

I have had lots of injuries in recent years including two torn distal bicep tendons that both required surgery (right in 8-'04 and left in 5-'05). I was on crutches three weeks out from the '06 Arnold (my first win) with a severely swollen illio-tibial band that to this day no one knows how I injured. I had partial tears in both triceps a couple of weeks out from the ‘07 Arnold Classic and dislocated my left shoulder the week prior to the meet while trying a new bench shirt. I have torn up my lower back pretty bad several times and I have torn ligaments in both wrists that often bother me whenever I do a lot of heavy shirted benching. I also separated my acromio-clavicular joint while pulling a hard dead at the '05 WPO semi finals. I tore my left lat at my last competition on my second deadlift with 788lbs. I really wanted to get my first 800+ dead that day and I know I had it in me but the smart thing to do was to stop there to prevent worsening the injury. My most recent injury is the torn right quad injury I sustained about six weeks ago. When it happened I thought I had torn my quad completely in two but fortunately it wasn’t quite that severe. I am rehabbing it now and I’m very confident that I will return to full strength and then some before long. When you push yourself to your limits injuries are going to happen and they are just part of this sport and learning how to overcome them is often what separates the champions from the rest. I was also diagnosed with testicular cancer in February of ’04 and that required surgery and radiation therapy but fortunately I am 100% cancer free today.

SOME READERS HAVE ALREADY MENTIONED THAT YOU HAVE SQUATTED OVER 900 WITHOUT KNEE WRAPS. DO YOU PREFER SQUATTING WITHOUT KNEE WRAPS?

Actually I have squatted 1008lbs without knee wraps. I don’t wear knee wraps because I don’t have to.

WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR PR'S IN THE GYM AND COMPETITION?

My competition PRs are:
At 242lbs =Squat 1008, Bench 666, Deadlift 788 Total=2463
At 220lbs =Squat 970, Bench 661, Deadlift 783 Total=2414
Some gym PRs:
In the three powerlifts my best numbers are always in competition.
Dumbell bench 170lb dumbbells x 8 reps.
Skull crushers 200x15.
Seated dumbbell curls 100x5.
Barbell shrugs 825x10.
Dumbbell rows 225x25.
Deadlifts 605x9 and 655x5 raw and no straps. I plan to try pulling 700lbs raw for reps here shortly.

WHO ARE YOUR MAIN SPONSORS?

Elite Fitness Systems www.elitefts.com (http://www.elitefts.com/) is my main sponsor and they have taken really good care of me. Dave Tate is a great guy and I can’t say enough about what he has done and continues to do for me. Jim Wendler is his right hand man and has been great as well. I have a lot of respect and admiration for both of these guys and appreciate everything they have done for me.

Alan at APT Prowrist Straps www.prowriststraps.com (http://www.prowriststraps.com/) is actually an old buddy of mine from the Marine Corps and has been great with helping me out as well.

DID YOU EVER THINK THAT YOU WOULD BE FEATURED IN A FULL PAGE ADD?

I always knew I would achieve my goals but I never really thought about the ads in magazines or things like that. My goals are what drive me not money or notoriety.

WHICH LIFT IS YOUR FAVORITE?

The deadlift because I feel it is the truest test of a man’s overall strength and gear affects it the least out of the three powerlifts.

DO YOU FOLLOW ANY TRAINING SYSTEM? WHAT WOULD A TYPICAL OFF SEASON WEEK LOOK LIKE FOR YOU?

There is no off season or on season for me with training. It is all in season training. If you're not training to get stronger than why train? I never take more than a day or two off training and this includes before and after competitions. The only difference before a meet is that I take more heavy singles in the squat, bench and deadlift in full gear to see where my strength is at prior to the meet and to work on any technical flaws. I try to hit at least my planned opener two weeks out in the bench and squat and three weeks out in the dead. The week prior to the meet is a down week for recovery where I still train the same exercises but with moderate weights and intensity instead of going all out.

Typical Weekly Routine
Tuesday-Deadlifts
Deadlifts usually working up to singles wearing only a belt or occasionally I will go for rep PRs.
Back raises or a different exercise that targets the hamstrings and erectors.
Calf raises usually done on the leg press or done old school donkey style like Arnold used to do them. (My training partners favorite exercise.)
Abs-usually Roman Chairs with a 45lb plate held on the forehead or with a high cable held behind the head and bending over forward.
Wednesday-Upper body assistance
Dumbbell rows-heavy weights and high reps. These are one of my favorites for strengthening the upper back and grip.
Barbell shrugs-heavy for 10-20 reps.
Rotator cuff exercise
Triceps-heavy skull crushers or pushdowns usually.
Biceps-heavy barbell or dumbbell curls
Friday-Squats
Squats-I do these in two styles narrow stance with no supportive gear going down until I bottom out with my hams hitting my calves to work my quads which helps the start of my deadlift and wide (competition stance) wearing a squat suit and briefs. In the narrow stance I usually train for at least sets of 10. In my wide competition stance I am much stronger.
Pull throughs or other hamstring and erector exercise.
Calves-same as Tuesday
Abs-same as Tuesday
Sunday-Bench
Bench either raw working up to heavy singles or doubles, dumbbell bench for sets of 10 reps or shirt work going up to singles.
Upper back work-usually chins weighted or bodyweight for max reps.
Shoulder work-usually some type of lateral with dumbbells or plates.
Triceps-same as Wednesday
Biceps-same as Wednesday

WHERE ARE YOU CURRENTLY TRAINING AT?

I train in my garage with a consistent group of about six other guys. Sometimes we have as many as twelve guys there for big bench or squat days and sometimes I even train alone but normally there are a handful of us and for the most part we all compete and we have some very strong and motivated guys there.

The garage is not heated and the coldest day this winter was -8 degrees and in the garage it wasn’t much warmer. My training partners sometimes complain about it and maybe I will heat it someday.

WHAT IS IT LIKE TO COMPETE ON THE BIG STAGE AT A WPO EVENT?

The Arnold Classic was the best event in powerlifting and I am truly saddened to see the WPO no longer be part of it. It was the one place that brought the majority of the best lifters together in one place in a first class venue with huge crowds. I loved competing there and I hope that something similar to this will materialize again for the sport.

WHAT DO ENJOY MOST ABOUT THE SPORT?

I love powerlifting as I feel it is the truest test of strength that there is. I have never met a greater group of guys and the camaraderie and admiration amongst competitors is unparalleled in any sport I have seen.

WHAT CHANGES WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE?

I would like to see more unification and less fighting between the feds and I think there have been some positive changes recently. The demise of the WPO taught the people in power in this sport a few lessons and I think an organization will soon replace what they had to offer but in a better way.

The internet is a great tool and yet the biggest bane of the sport. The forums are places where key board tough guys rip apart the greatest lifters in the sport without having any idea what it is like to be on the other side of their comments. I try to avoid reading them but once in a while a training partner will point out certain threads to me when he thinks I will benefit from reading it.

Matt is an AWESOME lifter and a great person!! :beerbang:

SUMO
05-18-2009, 12:05 PM
It all boils down to money, man. FST-7, P-90X, FDPRS....just a way to lure in the people that aren't getting results and take their cash.